Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: General Discussion:
Who's gonna be the biggest club in Spalding?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Hereward
Junior Team Sub

Oct 11, 2018, 3:46 PM

Team(s): Leicester City

Post #1 of 26 (6879 views)
Shortcut
Who's gonna be the biggest club in Spalding? Can't Post or Reply Privately

Spalding United play at the Sir Halley Stewart Playing Field and I’ve personally never known them to play elsewhere. I’d assumed the ground was theirs. I was wrong.

I only came to know this during the UCL / PDFL Groundhop in 2017/18. Pinchbeck United (a club from a village just outside Spalding) had just won promotion from the Peterborough & District League (Step 7) to the United Counties League Division One (Step 6). On ground grading rationale this surprised me as I’d watched matches at their Knight Street ground. A little research later I found Pinchbeck had arranged to play at the Sir Halley Stewart Field. Ground sharing isn’t uncommon as there is generally a financial boost to the host club but on this occasion the ground is owned by the council so there’s no benefit to Spalding so I doubt they were too impressed (though I’m sure they do own the clubhouse so may get to generate some income from there).

Moving on. Pinchbeck won last seasons UCL Division 1 at a canter. Their assistant manager had walked out during the summer implying the club didn’t have the same ambition as the management team. Having been reassured he returned before the season got underway and has now signed a 2 year contract. They are currently top of the UCL Premier (Step 5) having not lost a league match in over a calendar year. Pinchbeck clearly want to go places and comments on the UCL (unofficial) Facebook page suggest they have the financial backing to do this.

So where do Spalding fit in? They play at Step 4 in the Northern Premier League East Division. They are currently second from bottom of the table.

The way things are going the two clubs could replace each other during the 2019 summer. Spalding yo-yoing back to the UCL Premier and the villagers taking Spalding’s place in step 4. I’m watching this one with interest. The hierarchy of football in that part of the fens could be about to change.

windydcfc
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 11, 2018, 4:01 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #2 of 26 (6851 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hereward] Who's gonna be the biggest club in Spalding? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think the stupid travelling in the NPL1E isn’t helping Spalding. The 4 bottom clubs are from the periphery of the league footprint. If you look at Peterborough Sports turnaround in form, since they were transferred to the SL1C speaks volumes to me. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Spalding & neighbours Wisbech end up being relegated. As for Pinchbeck, I wonder if they’re another short lived bright star. They aren’t exactly well supported are theyCrazy

Atavistic
Reserve Team Sub

Oct 11, 2018, 4:05 PM

Team(s): Norwich City, Yaxley

Post #3 of 26 (6836 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hereward] Who's gonna be the biggest club in Spalding? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The difference here surely is that Spalding are more likely to survive the long-term than Pinchbeck are, as Pinchbeck have a small supporter base, are playing out of Pinchbeck itself and are also seemingly spending excessive amounts of money to fund their rapid rise through the leagues. Sure, in the short term they could change positions in the pyramid, but in the long-term I'd imagine Spalding will be faring far better than Pinchbeck, as once their backer pulls his funding out it will all end in tears and they'll be lucky to even exist still.

Cynical? Perhaps. But almost certainly true. At the very least, it seems odd to question the place of a well-established Step 4/5 club rather than one which is unsustainably financing itself and will eventually return to its original level and ground (which they are making no efforts to develop, it seems) if lucky.

Yaxley FC Programme Editor

2018/19 (including Pre-Season):

New Grounds: 17 (Most Recent: Berkhamsted)
Games: 26
Goals: 99
Goals Per Game (to 2 dp): 3.81
0-0s: 0

My Blog: https://thetortoisetravels.blogspot.co.uk/

(This post was edited by Atavistic on Oct 11, 2018, 4:07 PM)

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 11, 2018, 4:17 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #4 of 26 (6815 views)
Shortcut

If they're so well-backed financially (and I'm not disputing the claim that they are) why don't they develop their roots back in Pinchbeck?

Not a million miles away are Parson Drove, who I understand are also well-backed financially. They seem to be rapidly developing within their own village, both on and off the pitch. It'll be interesting to see where they are in five years time relative to both Pinchbeck and Spalding.

Rushcliffe
Junior Team Sub

Oct 11, 2018, 11:37 PM

Post #5 of 26 (6198 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Who's gonna be the biggest club in Spalding? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pinchbeck assistant manager, Allan Ross, was my best mate at school and still keep in contact although not as much as we used to, having families of our own etc and the fact he moved from nottingham to Lincolnshire when playing for Boston United and remained there having met his wife there etc. Im by no means an expert in the goings on at the club but
with this in mind ive obviously kept tabs on their progress since he joined Pinchbeck from Sleaford Town, and as far as I understood things they had no playing budget until the walk out and return this past summer. Ive not spoken to him this season yet, so im unsure where the backing came from and if that was the reason for his return etc , from what I could tell it seemed he and the manager were pretty much running the entire club last season and there was a few off the field issues to contend with.
Think I may have to give him a call in the next few days and have a bit of a football catch up.

(This post was edited by Rushcliffe on Oct 11, 2018, 11:40 PM)

Hereward
Junior Team Sub

Oct 12, 2018, 8:37 AM

Post #6 of 26 (5971 views)
Shortcut

WINDYDCFC - interesting point about the travelling. Peterborough Sports looked decent on the BBC last weekend. If Pinchbeck do earn promotion the extra travelling is yet another expense to consider

ATAVISTIC – Agreed and history throughout the game supports your opinion. In truth there’s always a couple of clubs in each league every season that have vastly more money than the rest. It sounds like this is Pinchbeck’s turn. As always only time will tell how far they’ll go.

PAULH66 - Yep and good luck to Parson Drove – they are a really old club. I thought they played in a council park but I may be wrong. I may look to re-visit.

RUSHCLIFFE - I don’t doubt the manager and his assistant had to do more than just sort out the team. I know plenty of clubs where the manager handles more than their fair share of non-football duties. Credit to them for sticking at it if that’s the case.

windydcfc

Oct 12, 2018, 8:48 AM

Post #7 of 26 (5955 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
WINDYDCFC - interesting point about the travelling. Peterborough Sports looked decent on the BBC last weekend. If Pinchbeck do earn promotion the extra travelling is yet another expense to consider

ATAVISTIC – Agreed and history throughout the game supports your opinion. In truth there’s always a couple of clubs in each league every season that have vastly more money than the rest. It sounds like this is Pinchbeck’s turn. As always only time will tell how far they’ll go.

PAULH66 - Yep and good luck to Parson Drove – they are a really old club. I thought they played in a council park but I may be wrong. I may look to re-visit.

RUSHCLIFFE - I don’t doubt the manager and his assistant had to do more than just sort out the team. I know plenty of clubs where the manager handles more than their fair share of non-football duties. Credit to them for sticking at it if that’s the case.

There’s a thread about Parson Drove. They seem to be developing their ground & have ambitions beyond the P&DL http://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/...rson%20Drove;#513396

NoGuruNoMethod
Junior Team Sub

Oct 12, 2018, 8:56 AM

Post #8 of 26 (5937 views)
Shortcut

I was speaking to a rival teams manager in the same division as Parson Drove.He informed me that one player there was on £400 a week.
Having played in the same division 30 plus years ago .I am astonished that players get paid .We had to pay £1 a week subs for the privilege.

Hereward
Junior Team Sub

Oct 12, 2018, 9:13 AM

Post #9 of 26 (5906 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NoGuruNoMethod] Who's gonna be the biggest club in Spalding? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Crazy - and they're not even a step 7 club yet. If true this could become the battle of the 'Ps' - Peterborough Sports, Parson Drove & Pinchbeck Utd. It looks like there's a lot of money in the flat lands at the moment.

kirby knitters

Oct 12, 2018, 9:55 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #10 of 26 (5843 views)
Shortcut

Sports left the UCL on a budget of £3.5k p/w and were happy to tell anyone who enquired how they were recruiting from Kettering/Diamonds etc so hell knows what they are paying these days. Rumour was the money man was going to make sure they were ok at step 4 them go on to pastures new with Corby being mentioned by club officials. What is the point in it all apart from one man as his ego (and wallet!!)

Hereward
Junior Team Sub

Oct 12, 2018, 3:24 PM

Post #11 of 26 (5567 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Who's gonna be the biggest club in Spalding? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In the Bristol area there are still clubs competing at Step 5 without paying any expenses whatsoever. Some having very successful recent seasons. How does it look in the PDFL and UCL divisions? If Parson Drove, as a notional step '8' club, are paying players how common place is it? Are you aware of any clubs at steps 5 or 6 in the UCL coping without a budget?

kirby knitters

Oct 12, 2018, 3:55 PM

Post #12 of 26 (5519 views)
Shortcut

There are certainly a couple in UCL Prem operating without a budget so safe to say the same can be be said with D1 clubs. MFL clubs are in the same boat. Its impossible to compete against some so and would be mad to attempt it but unfortunately some do and the results are there for all to see on a far too regular basis.

NoGuruNoMethod
Junior Team Sub

Oct 12, 2018, 4:48 PM

Post #13 of 26 (5461 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Who's gonna be the biggest club in Spalding? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Sports left the UCL on a budget of £3.5k p/w and were happy to tell anyone who enquired how they were recruiting from Kettering/Diamonds etc so hell knows what they are paying these days. Rumour was the money man was going to make sure they were ok at step 4 them go on to pastures new with Corby being mentioned by club officials. What is the point in it all apart from one man as his ego (and wallet!!)

A budget of 3.5k p/w on gates under 3 figures when in UCL crazy.
Only averaged 160 last season with the additional travelling costs,must be seriously bankrolled.
I dont think there is any revenue from the bar as I believe it is not connected to the club.
Have attended several games there this season. Amusingly a club official at the 2 cup games walked around with a hand clicker counting the crowd.(believe it was the man bankrolling the club).

(This post was edited by NoGuruNoMethod on Oct 12, 2018, 4:50 PM)

Atavistic
Reserve Team Sub

Oct 12, 2018, 5:49 PM

Post #14 of 26 (5370 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NoGuruNoMethod] Who's gonna be the biggest club in Spalding? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It's now a budget of £5k per week based on what I heard at the last Yaxley home game I was at, which is still absurdly inflated and not even remotely sustainable

(This post was edited by Atavistic on Oct 12, 2018, 5:50 PM)

pokal02
First Team Star

Oct 12, 2018, 5:52 PM

Team(s): Barnet, Cockfosters, Truro City, Udinese

Post #15 of 26 (5366 views)
Shortcut

Am a little surprised tHat Parson Drove didn't try to jump a few steps into the ECL1N for this season, especially as they already have lights?

windydcfc

Oct 12, 2018, 6:02 PM

Post #16 of 26 (5357 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pokal02] Who's gonna be the biggest club in Spalding? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Am a little surprised tHat Parson Drove didn't try to jump a few steps into the ECL1N for this season, especially as they already have lights?

They did try, but were too late applying. They then hoped that the FA would place in the P&DL Prem & that came to nothing too. So they’ve got to do it the hard way & good luck to them. Maybe they should’ve tried to join the Lincs League & saved themselves a season climbing the pyramid!

kirby knitters

Oct 12, 2018, 6:47 PM

Post #17 of 26 (5307 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Atavistic] Who's gonna be the biggest club in Spalding? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
It's now a budget of £5k per week based on what I heard at the last Yaxley home game I was at, which is still absurdly inflated and not even remotely sustainable

On an average gate of 162! Still i suppose if one man is behind everything the club have achieved then they could throw open the gates and let everyone in for nothing for all the difference it would make.

bmavfc
Reserve Team Sub

Oct 13, 2018, 7:35 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa

Post #18 of 26 (4438 views)
Shortcut

I moved to Peterborough last year so not an expert but would love to know who has been bankrolling them last few years and this,any names ? One again I know no one there.

Atavistic
Reserve Team Sub

Oct 13, 2018, 10:17 PM

Post #19 of 26 (4284 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bmavfc] Who's gonna be the biggest club in Spalding? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I can't remember his name, but from what I was told it's someone who used to play for Peterborough United some time ago, who has since become a successful businessman in the local area. That's as much as I know for certain, at least.

(This post was edited by Atavistic on Oct 13, 2018, 10:18 PM)

kirby knitters

Oct 13, 2018, 10:32 PM

Post #20 of 26 (4269 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Atavistic] Who's gonna be the biggest club in Spalding? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Grant Biddle.

Hereward
Junior Team Sub

Oct 17, 2018, 6:36 PM

Post #21 of 26 (2983 views)
Shortcut

On the Parson Drove theme. Yesterday (16/10/18) BBC Radio Cambridgeshire interviewed the Parson Drove Chairman / 1st Team manager as the club had won the Cambridgeshire FA Club of the Year award

In summary he described how the club is building off the pitch as they are aiming to be Step 5 in next three years and are working hard to get facilities ready for Step 6 soonest. He said they aren’t paying players but have attracted higher standard players due to the clubs longer term ambitions.

You can hear the interview on the BBC iplayer (I'll try to add the link below) and scroll forward to 1 hour 53 minutes and 20 seconds. It only lasts about 4 minutes and is followed by ‘What A Wonderful World’ by Sam Cooke if you want to listen a bit longer!https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p06mmmvw

kirby knitters

Oct 18, 2018, 10:36 AM

Post #22 of 26 (2698 views)
Shortcut

They certainly seem to be making all the right strides off the pitch as well as on it and nice to see a prospective UCL club putting up lights well before they are actually required! Also seem to be making a number of enemies along the way but that is to be expected I suppose, especially for a club not paying players.Wink

ComradeBT
Youth Team Star

Oct 18, 2018, 1:32 PM

Team(s): WWFC; WFC

Post #23 of 26 (2586 views)
Shortcut

A questions to be answered: How were Pinchbeck allowed promotion via a groundshare?

It's the Combined Counties all over again - caravan clubs moving out from their local community and hopping from one groundshare to another.

ComradeBT
-- Non-League football club founder.

475 different football grounds visited. Last out:

Bielefelder Alm - Arminia Bilefeld 1-2 St Pauli
Att: 22,466

kirby knitters

Oct 19, 2018, 10:41 AM

Post #24 of 26 (2323 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ComradeBT] Who's gonna be the biggest club in Spalding? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pinchbeck United simply blagged it by becoming joint tenants of the SHSF with Spalding United. So easy and at the same time so wrong!!

(This post was edited by kirby knitters on Oct 19, 2018, 10:43 AM)

BDA_85
Youth Team Star

Oct 19, 2018, 11:10 AM

Post #25 of 26 (2300 views)
Shortcut

Whilst it's allowed to happen, it will happen!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3