Club Cricket

Billybadknees
Reserve Team Sub

May 8, 2008, 3:50 PM

Team(s): Sheffield FC, Sheffield Wednesday, Staveley MWFC

Post #1 of 13 (6692 views)
Shortcut
Club Cricket Can't Post or Reply Privately

Anybody play cricket on here? Anybody watch cricket? Could club cricket inspire as much devotion as non league footy? There are some quality players playing in the County Premier Leagues.

I play for Whittington Wanderers in Div 4 of the Yorkshire & Derbyshire League, which feeds into the Derbyshire County League, which in turn feeds into the Derbyshire Premier League. See, even cricket has a pyramid!

Sig-lite!

hemelite
First Team Regular

May 10, 2008, 9:06 AM

Team(s): Hemel Hempstead Town, West Ham United, Los Angeles Angels & USC

Post #2 of 13 (6641 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Billybadknees] Club Cricket [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A close friend of mine (along with another Hemel fan i've known for years) has just joined Redbourn cricket club in the Herts county league for this season, and i know several other people who play at various levels for either Hemel or Tring Park in the Home Counties ECB.
Its a pleasant enough way to spend a sunny day when there's no footy. I was contemplating playing for Boxmoor II's this year in division ten, but unfortunately i've always been rather crap as a player. Maybe i'll join the Sunday II's instead.

VP
Man City Transfer Target!

May 10, 2008, 11:27 AM

Post #3 of 13 (6629 views)
Shortcut

I spent a pleasant evening at Bagshot cricket club yesterday. They play in the Thames Valley League which feeds into the Home Counties Premier League.

My mate plays for them and does various tasks. As with football clubs at lower levels they always need more helpers and being able to field 4 sides every Saturday is sometimes a struggle but they've got a nice little set up and are giving the kids something to do. Yesterday there was an under 11's match against Camberley in progress when I got there. The technique of some of the players was excellent.

Rob North
First Team Star

May 18, 2008, 4:16 PM

Team(s): Didcot Town, Reading

Post #4 of 13 (6102 views)
Shortcut

I spent 30 odd years doing various jobs for Bradfield Cricket Club of the Berkshire Cricket League, 1st XI in Div 2, newly formed 2nds in Div 5. I've been scorer, player(stubborn bat, holding club record for not outs, dibbly-dobbly bowler and enthusiastic fielder), umpire, groundsman, fixtures secretary, made the teas and umpteen other jobs! It was nice to take a break when I moved to Scotland, but I still stay in touch with club goings on and will be down to see them in June.

cope1

Jun 2, 2008, 7:45 PM

Post #5 of 13 (5707 views)
Shortcut

I'm a bit crap at the game myself but my dad used to open the bowling for North London 1st XI back in the 70s. He gave it up to concentrate on footie at Crouch End Vampires after my sis and I were born. I don't know about devotion as a fan, but I find the setup in Middlesex mirrors AFA football very much in the sense that clubs run up to 4 or 5 teams and the emphasis on sportsmanship and hospitality. I'm sure this inspires devotion as a volunteer!

In my dad's days a lot of NLCC also played for CEV so there were good links, not so now. Nice place to go though, if anyone fancies a bit of cricket ground spotting in north London. As well NLCC there's Highgate, Calthorpe and North Middx all tucked away next door to each other in a quiet corner of Crouch End, surrounded by woods.

Hoppy
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 3, 2008, 10:15 PM

Team(s): Man City,Oldham Ath, Runcorn, South liverpool now non league traveller.

Post #6 of 13 (5610 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Club Cricket [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I am considering visiting different League cricket grounds in the North West of England but when the football season starts will watch the start of the cricket then go to a local football match and return to the cricket for the end, you could do this at Padiham and many others but the cricket may have already finished through a low scoring game or the weather!

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 3, 2008, 10:26 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #7 of 13 (5603 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hoppy] Club Cricket [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I am considering visiting different League cricket grounds in the North West of England but when the football season starts will watch the start of the cricket then go to a local football match and return to the cricket for the end, you could do this at Padiham and many others but the cricket may have already finished through a low scoring game or the weather!

The Birmingham League used to be pretty good for programmes a few years back - not sure who issues these days, but I've obtained programmes at Stratford,Barnt Green,Old Hill, Walsall and Smethwick when Wasim Akram had a season there.

Hoppy
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 3, 2008, 11:34 PM

Team(s): Man City,Oldham Ath, Runcorn, South liverpool now non league traveller.

Post #8 of 13 (5595 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Club Cricket [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for the info.
I must meet up with you and your mates more often next season.

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Jun 4, 2008, 3:36 PM

Post #9 of 13 (5556 views)
Shortcut

Contact GrundyHiller as he has a lot to do with the Northern Cricket League

PaulC

Jun 4, 2008, 11:42 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #10 of 13 (5529 views)
Shortcut

Darwen CC (Northern Premier League) and Darwen FC are about 200 yards apart.

Hoppy
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 4, 2008, 11:54 PM

Post #11 of 13 (5527 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Club Cricket [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks RS Cavendish and Paul C for info.

cope1

Jun 7, 2008, 11:38 PM

Post #12 of 13 (5423 views)
Shortcut

Sounds like a nice way to send a weekend Hoppy. Let us know how you get on. I'd be interested to know because I have a friend in Halifax with whom I do some ground hopping when I go up there. I'm not sure he's convinced by cricket but he likes beer so if I can work that into the equation we're in! Of course, doing footie-cricket doubles will be tricky in Halifax itself given the recent fate of HTFC...

Hoppy
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 8, 2008, 9:03 AM

Post #13 of 13 (5396 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Club Cricket [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I will keep you informed Cope1 regards cricket/football in one day.
Brighouse Town, Liversedge(Cleckheaton), Ossett Albion have cricket clubs nearby so thats just three but I have seen some from the train going into Yorkshire on hillsides so if I pick a good day it sounds interesting.
I once did Halifax Town v Oldham Athletic 65/6 pre season friendly in the afternoon then Halifax Dukes v Belle Vue Aces, speedway in the evening and since then have only been to Halifax v Emley FA Trophy early 90s but they have improved their ground since but its sad regards their financial problems.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3