Brentford Barnet replay

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Feb 3, 2019, 2:07 PM

Team(s): Birmingham City, Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #1 of 10 (2828 views)
Shortcut
Brentford Barnet replay Can't Post or Reply Privately

Was fancying going along to this as an interesting last visit to Griffin Park and similarly final tastings of 'proper' London Pride and ESB.

But thinking of coming from a long way away seemed to make sense to find ticket availability etc.

Brentford's website seemed to want to sell me membership, hospitality packages and the like but it wasn't obvious if I could just rock up at the gate and pay on the night.

Barnet's website is full of dark rumblings about refusals to honour the rules of the Cup, Directors not taking yup their Directors' tickets, not sending full ticket allocations etc, citing Health and Safety.

Am I missing something here? Are Brentford just planning on only opening part of the ground and not staffing segregation - or is thyere deeper meaning?

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Feb 3, 2019, 5:01 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #2 of 10 (2777 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] Brentford Barnet replay [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I don't have a definitive answer but a few days ago I too was looking into the possibility of doing this. Noticed that Brentford said tickets wouldn't be on general sale, then Barnet said they'd sold out of their allocation, so I didn't consider it any further.

agamemnon3
Junior Team Star

Feb 3, 2019, 11:17 PM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 10 (2672 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Brentford Barnet replay [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Paulh & Broodleyhoo

I have just purchased four stand seats for the B v B replay at the not unreasonable price of 15.00 each.

If you would like one, then please reply privately, fairly soon.

Any other honourable member of this parish who may like the fourth ticket, please do the same.

There is of course a hefty price to be paid for this service --- you have to sit near me...

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Feb 4, 2019, 2:32 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #4 of 10 (2625 views)
Shortcut
Re: [agamemnon3] Brentford Barnet replay [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That's very considerate, kind sir, and thanks, but I'd subsequently sorted my Tuesday so I'll pass on that. Fair price, mind! Laugh
Enjoy the game, and after seeing the first game on TV and Barnet in the flesh last Saturday, I think you'll see some goals...

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Feb 4, 2019, 7:09 AM

Post #5 of 10 (2596 views)
Shortcut
Re: [agamemnon3] Brentford Barnet replay [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That's very kind - but as I would have had to buy train tickets over the w/end to get good deals, I fear the offer is too late.

I'm pleased you were able to buy tickets at a good price...but if it was as easy as you say it was, then that brings into play the second part of my question - what was all the fuss about over at Barnet - their chairman's message on their website is scathing - about not getting full allocation and the Bees hiding behind H&S?

And behind that there's the irritation with this growing malarkey (not just at Brentford) about having to become members of something to buy a ticket on line...I understand all that stuff about then getting peoples data and signing up to get more info, send out spam etc - but oh for the days when you could just find out it was say 25 in advance + a booking fee or 30 on the day sort of thing.

kidology
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 4, 2019, 7:29 PM

Team(s): Barnet (when in Barnet), Truro City

Post #6 of 10 (2456 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] Brentford Barnet replay [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There is a big old kerfuffle going on here which I don't think either club comes out of very well. Broadly, as I understand it, the facts are as follows:

Brentford have given Barnet an allocation of c1500 tickets which falls below what I believe is an FA instruction that away clubs must receive 15% of the capacity available to sell to their own fans. The shortfall appears to be in the region of around 300 tickets, and Brentford allege they have special dispensation from the FA to give fewer tickets to the away club due to ground redevelopments/Health & Safety etc etc which means that this is the limit of away fans that can be "safely" accommodated.

Barnet, or probably more specifically Tony Kleanthous, elected to put their tickets on general sale immediately - i.e. without any special consideration for season ticket holders and/or members - and also said you could buy up to 6 per person. Additionally there were no telephone or online sales - you had to turn up and join the queue at Barnet's ground on a weekday when the vast majority of people would have been working, many of them in London.

I don't know what the club (Barnet) thought would happen - maybe they thought there wouldn't be great demand bearing in mind the average home league attendance is around 1,200, maybe they just wanted to get rid of the tickets, and maybe it just didn't occur to them that a significant number of "proper" Barnet fans simply would not be able to get to the ground and get tickets. Maybe (shock horror) the thought of looking after their few remaining loyal diehard supporters was not their primary focus.

Anyway, the 1,500 away tickets went in hours, leaving a number of those proper fans without a ticket, and presumably a number of (let's be polite) part-timers with a fistful of them. Some of these tickets are now being resold for above face value in certain quarters (I'm sure Stan Flashman could sense the irony if he were still with us), and Brentford have refused to issue more on grounds of a lack of appropriate places to put more away fans.

I suspect that Kleanthous has got his knickers in a twist for a number of reasons: the club didn't think before bunging the tickets on general sale, they haven't received the full allocation they think they were entitled to, and despite stamping his feet he hasn't got his own way.

But what is really grating with the Barnet fans who don't have tickets is that a section of Griffin Park will be empty for the replay as Brentford would not release further tickets to Barnet and are not prepared to entertain cash sales on the day. Which is a strange business concept in itself really - you have a fair few people who would like to go, and a fair few free seats available for them to sit in, but you're not interested in taking their money.... Crazy

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Feb 5, 2019, 8:53 AM

Post #7 of 10 (2356 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kidology] Brentford Barnet replay [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for the detailed reply - which only makes the situation odder.

On the face of it, this tie should be a win-win for both clubs.

Prospect of a cracking tie on a cracking cold winter's night.

A bit of localish but seldom played these days rivalry, chance of the old cup upset malarkey, good bit of atmosphere.

Call it something like 10 in the night all in - big crowd, good vibes all round -

Can't understand why the Bees are acting all superior about it - but sure the Barnet ticket plan sounds daft too.

Possible feelgood evening turned into a dull affair played in a largely empty stadium. Shame

BDA_85
First Team Sub

Feb 5, 2019, 10:18 AM

Post #8 of 10 (2335 views)
Shortcut

Barnet announced yesterday that they will be beaming the tie back to the Legends Bar at the Hive. If a ST/member has missed out due to the ticket selling arrangements I'm sure they'll be delighted with the beamback...

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 6, 2019, 12:21 AM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #9 of 10 (2215 views)
Shortcut

Official Attendance at Griffin Park tonight - 6,954 (including 1,648 Barnet fans). That's 4,000 below capacity with plenty of empty seats towards the corners on both sides of the ground, seats which could easily have been filled had so many floating supporters not been put off by home tickets not going on General SaleMad.

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Feb 17, 2019, 3:23 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #10 of 10 (1248 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Brentford Barnet replay [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

For all the whining and winging from Barnet they were allocated the same amount of tickets as each championship team has been this season, with the highest away attendance being 1692 by Sheffield Wednesday, with plenty of attendances in the 1600 - 1660 range, if the FA rules are still to give away teams 15% of capacity if fans can be properly segregated then Barnet were only allocated approx 200 tickets less than 15% and to be honest there is nowhere to put away fans apart from the current away end, Brentford have tried in the past to allocate some seats in the New Road side for away fans but this has only created extra problems. Brentford's ticketing policy has been to have tickets on general sale for most games but when the away team has sold its allocation, tickets are then restricted to club members and those people on the club ticket database. As it was i had a ticket but was on the sick list so couldn't go !!

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3