Welsh Rugby Union "Reorganisation" Proposals

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 27, 2019, 2:50 PM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #1 of 8 (942 views)
Shortcut
Welsh Rugby Union "Reorganisation" Proposals Can't Post or Reply Privately

There is a proposal that a North Wales franchise (I use that word advisedly) be introduced and either (Neath/Swansea) Ospreys merge with Cardiff blues or else they are disbanded altogether in favour of North Wales. Now I'm probably going to get myself shot down here but as a non-Welsh non-RU follower there are several things I don't understand about the Welsh set up:

1. What was wrong with the old club system? It always seemed to produce decent players for Wales
2. Who controls the clubs? Are the clubs autonomous or do the WRU control them?
3. I've seen comments on Twitter that (Llanelli) Scarlets currently have North Wales in their "area". Does that mean that all North Wales players wanting to progress have to be channelled through Llanelli rather than being able to sign for whoever they like?

I feel much sympathy for the traditional clubs in Wales, still battling along with crowds in the low hundreds while all this nonsense is going on.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

(This post was edited by Andy D on Feb 27, 2019, 2:51 PM)

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 27, 2019, 3:29 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #2 of 8 (929 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Welsh Rugby Union "Reorganisation" Proposals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was under the impression that teams such as Ospreys and Cardiff Blues were created purely for European Club and Pro14 competitions and the traditional clubs played in the Welsh league system.

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 27, 2019, 3:37 PM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #3 of 8 (925 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Welsh Rugby Union "Reorganisation" Proposals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

They do. There is still a traditional club league. But crowds are in the main woeful. Even those clubs supposedly amalgamated into the "regions" such as Newport, Pontypridd, Swansea etc still run teams in the club league. but it seems all the WRU are interested in are the big 4.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 27, 2019, 6:51 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #4 of 8 (881 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Welsh Rugby Union "Reorganisation" Proposals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As I understand it, the Welsh 'regions' are kept going, and remain reasonably competitive, only through handouts from the WRU. Despite the nonsensical cliche about rugby union being a religion in Wales, the sport there struggles to maintain four professional 'regions', let alone five (should a North Wales 'region' come along), hence these 'reorganisation' proposals. Same applies in Scotland, whose rugby union scene can muster just two fully professional teams. The Edinburgh and Glasgow 'regions' survive only through SRU handouts while the remaining, original clubs, as in Wales, eke out a bare existence by playing what many regard as largely pointless matches in front of crowds numbered in the low hundreds.

Here's something about the situation in Wales from somebody who knows (and cares) a lot more about it than I do:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/...d-explained-15891349

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Feb 27, 2019, 6:54 PM)

ciderjon
First Team Star

Mar 1, 2019, 8:20 PM

Team(s):

Post #5 of 8 (682 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Welsh Rugby Union "Reorganisation" Proposals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I am very sad to see the despised blazeratti of the WRU going on about North Wales. AGAIN. I thought that had been laid to rest four years ago. Apparently not. The WRU just don't seem to be able to accept various facts about North Wales as they are still cross because football is immeasurably the No 1 sport there.

Firstly, hardly anyone lives there. 15% of the population, apparently.

Secondly, but partially due to above there are only 12% of WRU clubs there. Cardiff alone has more rugby clubs than North Wales.

It is obviously an irritating sore they can't stop scratching. Not content with creating the franchised chimera that is RGC 1404, they have taken away the U-20 games and the Ladies and exiled them to Parc Eiras, seemingly only watched by S4C cameramen.

Originally, at the birth of regional rugby we had five regions. Celtic Warriors were disbanded, citing financial impossibility, so five regions is not a viable template.. How do they think a North Wales region is going to do better than the Ospreys?

Club rugby has been throttled by the imposition of the regions. Last week I watched a Swansea game attended by no more than 250 people, most of whom were older than I ( and I'm a bus pass boyo).

The WRU is barely credible as a governing body now, bring in North Wales in place of Ospreys and die.

Last new Belgian beer: Lupulus (formerly Trois Fourquets) Triple 8.5% bc (808)

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 7, 2019, 8:18 AM

Post #6 of 8 (555 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ciderjon] Welsh Rugby Union "Reorganisation" Proposals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

On, off, on, off. No, not the relationship between ball and pitch in rugby union. It's a Scarlets-Ospreys merger update...

https://www.independent.co.uk/...warren-a8810191.html

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Mar 7, 2019, 10:11 AM

Post #7 of 8 (523 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Welsh Rugby Union "Reorganisation" Proposals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was at Llanelli on Sunday. About 250 people watching of whom at least 100 came from Cardiff. In the old days at Stradey Park about 4-5000 would have attended.

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 3, 2019, 12:47 PM

Post #8 of 8 (292 views)
Shortcut
Re: [R.S.Cavendish] Welsh Rugby Union "Reorganisation" Proposals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I was at Llanelli on Sunday. About 250 people watching of whom at least 100 came from Cardiff. In the old days at Stradey Park about 4-5000 would have attended.

Your experience echoes this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/...18#comment_134399702

Very much the same picture, it appears, in grassroots Scottish rugby union (and north of England rugby league).

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Apr 3, 2019, 12:48 PM)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3