Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Other British Isles Football:
Scotland's Lost Football Grounds - Photo Feature in the Scotsman

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 20, 2019, 7:35 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #1 of 10 (1768 views)
Shortcut
Scotland's Lost Football Grounds - Photo Feature in the Scotsman Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well worth a look. 44 pictures in all.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/44-pictures-showing-scotland-s-lost-and-forgotten-football-grounds-1-4889360

windydcfc

Mar 20, 2019, 7:48 AM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #2 of 10 (1758 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Scotland's Lost Football Grounds - Photo Feature in the Scotsman [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

https://www.scotsman.com/...ll-grounds-1-4889360

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 20, 2019, 12:52 PM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #3 of 10 (1503 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Scotland's Lost Football Grounds - Photo Feature in the Scotsman [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Good stuff. Absence of Junior venues though, wouldn't Tinto Park, Benburb have been worth a mention?

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (900) Alfredian Park Wantage Town 0-0 Brackley Town saints
With FC United: 132
On the agenda:
18/4 Bourton Rovers v Moreton Rangers @Ciirencester
19/4 Lydney Town, Newent (hellenic hop)

Gladstone
Youth Team Regular

Mar 22, 2019, 12:05 AM

Post #4 of 10 (1056 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Scotland's Lost Football Grounds - Photo Feature in the Scotsman [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/44-pictures-showing-scotland-s-lost-and-forgotten-football-grounds-1-4889360

Wonderful. Especially evocative was the grass drown terrace of Xathkin Park. Sadly, I never went there.

Gladstone

Rsouthendian
Youth Team Regular

Mar 22, 2019, 4:37 PM

Team(s): Arsenal, Nottingham Forest, Milngavie Wanderers

Post #5 of 10 (868 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gladstone] Scotland's Lost Football Grounds - Photo Feature in the Scotsman [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A fascinating insight but one former ground, Tontine Park at Renton brings back a memory from many years ago as I made my way to another ancient ground, Vale of Leven all that was left was an obelisk in a,front garden depicting the half way line, is it still there ?

prorege

Mar 22, 2019, 5:28 PM

Post #6 of 10 (836 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rsouthendian] Scotland's Lost Football Grounds - Photo Feature in the Scotsman [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

No, it has gone.
The story that went round was that the Council House where it stood was sold and the new owner got rid of it.

leohoenig
Administrator

Mar 22, 2019, 11:11 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #7 of 10 (682 views)
Shortcut

I went to the current Vale club in 1987, when I knew less about Scottish football. I had the impression then that the current club claimed to be the same as the original, and was unaware of the ten years without a club (made longer by the war). The current web site does not appear to mention the team pre-1939
From this reference, do I take it that the original club had a different ground to the current location?

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Into the nervous 990s. 3998 - Stade Lievre d'Or, Chateauneuf sur Loire

LLD
Reserve Team Star

Mar 23, 2019, 12:49 AM

Team(s): Livingston

Post #8 of 10 (615 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Scotland's Lost Football Grounds - Photo Feature in the Scotsman [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I went to the current Vale club in 1987, when I knew less about Scottish football. I had the impression then that the current club claimed to be the same as the original, and was unaware of the ten years without a club (made longer by the war). The current web site does not appear to mention the team pre-1939
From this reference, do I take it that the original club had a different ground to the current location?

The original Vale of Leven opened Millburn Park (the current location) in 1888.
I'd love to pin down the date that the barrel roofed enclosure was erected, must be one of the oldest structures in Scottish football.

The most comprehensive source for Scottish football fixtures: scottishfootballfixtures.wordpress.com

prorege

Mar 23, 2019, 7:23 AM

Post #9 of 10 (563 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Scotland's Lost Football Grounds - Photo Feature in the Scotsman [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There were various incarnations of Vale clubs. Between the demise of the original club and the formation of the Juniors, the ground was used by Vale OCOBA (1930-1937). They were a Senior club and played in the Scottish Qualifying Cup.

In answer to LLD's point about the enclosure at Millburn Park - is not as old as it seems.
There is no cover shown on the 1919 OS plan. By 1936 a smaller enclosure is shown - the bit that is now shorn of its roof. The curent enclosure appears on the 1963 plan. So, the current structure dates from sometime between 1936 and 1963.

PaulC

Mar 23, 2019, 8:19 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #10 of 10 (545 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
There were various incarnations of Vale clubs. Between the demise of the original club and the formation of the Juniors, the ground was used by Vale OCOBA (1930-1937). They were a Senior club and played in the Scottish Qualifying Cup.

There's an interesting piece on the short history of Vale Ocoba here, with plenty of suggestions of intrigue .

http://www.valeofleven.org.uk/football07.html

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3