First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

BDA_85
Reserve Team Star

Mar 19, 2019, 8:38 PM

Post #1 of 39 (6720 views)
Shortcut
Tuesday 19th March 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Beaconsfield Town v Merthyr Town
Sat in Wetherspoons at the services with a friend. Checked twitter. I’d managed to get a lot closer to the ground than the Merthyr team bus!

adji
Reserve Team Star

Mar 19, 2019, 10:14 PM

Team(s): Birmingham City ,Clevedon Town and whoever else i want to watch

Post #2 of 39 (6608 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BDA_85] Tuesday 19th March 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

West midlands Regional One

Bustleholme 1 Worcester Raiders 3 Att- 50 h/c

Leaders Raiders found lowly Bustleholme a tough nut to crack tonight . They lead 2 0 at half time. Game was played at York Rd Oldbury a first visit for Me since boxing day 2011 . Not much has changed. Pain.in the backside m5 closure meant I had to go miles out of the way via bearwood back home. I'll do the blog tomorrow

Please feel free to visit my blog at http://adjithegroundhopper.wordpress.com/

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Mar 19, 2019, 10:34 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #3 of 39 (6542 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BDA_85] Tuesday 19th March 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hampshire Senior Cup Semi-Final

Sholing 2 Havant and Waterlooville 3

admission £5-00 programme £1-50 attendance 241
1st in Wessex Premier v 21st in National League
Good cup-tie which the visitors looked to be strolling when they were three up in 25 mins. But great credit to the home team for coming back and forcing the Hawks to bring some 'stars' on to make sure they got the result. The visitors played three of last Saturday's starting XI, plus all five subs from that game. All five subs were also players who started on Saturday, so quite a strong side.
And they started very well, looking skilful and dangerous every time they came forward. Sekajja looked particularly good, a sort of non-league Sadio Mane, and he opened the scoring after 7 mins as a long ball was just too long for the hosts' Miller, and Sekajja ran on and finished well from an angle. A poor home clearance then saw Sekajja pop up on the left, but his shot was saved. The home team started to come into it: Castle headed a free-kick over, and a Sawyer free-kick was deflected just wide. Sekajja then chased after another ball and his shot was also deflected just wide. But from the corner Rose headed in to put the Hawks two up after 24 mins. A minute later it was three as Sekajjia ran through again, appeared to lose his balance but then finished superbly with a volley when off the ground. Applause all around for that one. After that things quietened down for a little while as the hosts tried to pick up the pieces. A Sawyer shot was deflected wide, then, on 34 mins, the ball came out to D.Mason whose shot from 25 yards found the top corner to reduce the arrears. Another Sawyer free-kick, along the ground, was deflected just wide, and D.Mason, and especially Wort, shot wide when well-placed. Cuthbertson also came up from right back and had a good shot saved as Sholing ended the half in the ascendency, HT 1-3.
The start of the second half was quite even, the visitors had a couple of attempts, Patterson's went across goal, Paul's was saved, but then Sholing cut the deficit to one after 59 mins as Wort was put through after a break and his shot appeared to go through young keeper Eyres. The team really put the pressure on now and Sawyer had a shot saved and a free-kick just wide, D.Mason had a dipping volley just over, and Hoole's shot went over too. The Hawks brought some more first-teamers on, and particularly ex-Boatman Carter helped to stabilise things a bit from their point of view. Still, a fierce Cuthbertson shot nearly evaded Eyres, who then saved from Wort. In between, a Hawks break saw Quigley head against the bar. Sakajja could have wrapped it up in injury time but blazed wildly over the bar, then right at the end Wort hooked a volley goalwards but a H+W player dived to head it off the line.
A brave effort by Sholing against higher-ranked opponents, who will now play at St.Mary's in the final against either Basingstoke or Saints U23.

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Mar 19, 2019, 10:34 PM)

penny banner
Youth Team Sub

Mar 19, 2019, 10:36 PM

Post #4 of 39 (6528 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adji] Tuesday 19th March 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

WHITSTABLE v VCD. Bostik League South East. Kick Off: I kid you not, 19.43! Result: 4-1. Admission: Free with ticket from the abandoned fixture. Programme: £2 (good). Attendance: 126.

Good to see the player whose injury caused the abandonment a fortnight ago has recovered and was back in the side tonight. Whitstable were 2-1 up midway through the first half when a chirpy 21 man brawl broke out with only the VCD goalkeeper being a non combatant. When the dust settled the referee not surprisingly sent off two away players, but very surprisingly only booked one home one. He obviously didn't see what I saw and VCD could consider themselves hard done by to have to play the game out with such a numerical disadvantage. All in all an eventful night.

Dr Love
First Team Star

Mar 19, 2019, 10:40 PM

Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #5 of 39 (6513 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Beaconsfield Town v Merthyr Town

Thankfully I did see this before I set off, though not by too much.

Knaphill 0-2 Balham
Combined Counties Premier

A game of two halves. The first was quite entertaining, with positive football played by both teams. However, Balham looked better as a team, with more of their passes finding a teammate. Two early goals, but Knaphill finished the half the stronger. On the other hand the second half could be a candidate for the dullest 45 minutes of the season. Balham generally controlled the half without ever looking particularly threatening. Knaphill had one very good chance cleared off the line midway through, but offered little as the game wore on and never looked like making a comeback.

First visit in three years here. It's a decent facility for the level with six separate areas of cover. I don't think much has changed over the years, it's more than good enough for their needs, and looks well cared for.

Cleeve
Youth Team Regular

Mar 19, 2019, 11:07 PM

Post #6 of 39 (6398 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dr Love] Tuesday 19th March 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Herts Senior Centenary Trophy - Final
London Lions v Belstone 5-1 (ht 1-0)
Venue: Hemel Hempstead Town FC; kickoff 1945hrs
Entry: £7/£4, including programme (glossy, adequate content)
Attendance: Announced as 186 (including the many blazers)

This is a competition open to step 6 and step 7 teams, but even so these finalists only needed to win three times to get here. And the winners got very chunky medals.

Despite the final score the game was both competitive and entertaining throughout. While higher-status Lions played a lot of nice football and kept the opposition keeper very busy, Belstone were always looking to break and came close to scoring on a number of occasions.

It was a lively first half with chances at both ends, but it was no really surprise when Lions took the lead on 34 minutes. And a six minute spell early in the second half well and truly broke Belstone's resistance with Adam Bolle scoring an impressive hat trick to add to his first half goal. But the competitiveness did not diminish and we had two further goals to keep us interested to the end.

So, a really entertaining evening, and nice to be able to access all areas of the ground and the bar (as I'm usually corralled in the away end when I visit Vauxhall Road).

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Mar 19, 2019, 11:14 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #7 of 39 (6339 views)
Shortcut
Re: [penny banner] Tuesday 19th March 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

We started bang on 7.45 so presumably the local FA blazeratti were in attendance...

Surrey Premier Cup Semi-final
Frimley Green 1-2 Nottsborough
Att 50-60 at a guess
Adm £5
Prog online only tonight, downloadable from the club website, though they normally issue in both paper and electronic pdf formats

Pretty sure this is the first time I've seen an AFA team and, despite competing against a bunch of step 6 clubs (as well as reserve teams of clubs at higher levels and a handful of other AFA sides), Nottsborough are the current holders of this cup. Tonight's match was a repeat of the 2016 final, also won by Nottsborough, so clearly they have some pedigree. Not bad for a club founded 30 years ago by a couple of pals and named after the respective universities they attended, Nottingham and Loughborough. Green, meanwhile, are second in the CoCo Div 1, two points behind Sheerwater but with two games in hand, so clearly no mugs either. Looked an intriguing match in prospect.

So it proved. Two well-matched teams put on a game of few chances but it was absorbing and always watchable. Green missed their couple of first half chances while Nottsborough converted theirs, the second a rebound from a penalty. Green then got one back from the spot just after the break and gradually began to dominate possession, but again spurned the couple of clear chances they created when they finally did breach Nottsborough's impressive defence.

Didn't know what to expect of tonight's victors but their levels of skill, technique, awareness, organisation and athleticism compared favourably to most step 6 sides I've seen. Very noticeable absence of whingeing, swearing or dissent too, though they did have a man sent off near the end for his part in an old fashioned 50/50 challenge. They now play Lingfield in the final, presumably at Surrey FAHQ in Dorking, and I might keep an eye out for that one. They might even bring some fans, unlike tonight where the final whistle was greeted with silence!

Green's modest tight little ground is just off Frimley Green Rd - look out for the brown sign for Frimley Green Rec, where a driveway leads up to the ground and ample car park.

Karb
First Team Regular

Mar 19, 2019, 11:36 PM

Team(s): Sunderland AFC, Keighley Cougars RL

Post #8 of 39 (6215 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Leaders Raiders found lowly Bustleholme a tough nut to crack tonight . They lead 2 0 at half time. Game was played at York Rd Oldbury a first visit for Me since boxing day 2011 . Not much has changed. Pain.in the backside m5 closure meant I had to go miles out of the way via bearwood back home. I'll do the blog tomorrow

Also at this one.

For completeness, it should be noted that the game was abandoned on 89 minutes after a mass brawl including all 22 players, both benches and some Raiders supporters

"People do not have moments of truth in station waiting rooms"

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Mar 19, 2019, 11:49 PM

Post #9 of 39 (6168 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Karb] Tuesday 19th March 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bartestree 0 Central Ajax 2

Walshes Meadow: Total Motion Midland League Challenge Vase Final

This was my first visit to Walshes Meadow in just over 12 months, when I watched the home club entertain South Normonton Athletic in a Midland League Premier Division encounter, on the banks of the River Severn. I did wonder whether there might be some doubt over this final going ahead following the amount of rain over the past week and the rising levels of the River Severn over the past few days. There had been no changes to the ground since my previous visit last year. Walshes Meadow possesses one seated stand opposite the river side of the ground, with the building housing the changing rooms and clubhouse in the one corner nearest the entrance, whilst a van serving refreshments on match day is located alongside these facilities. Bartestree came into the Challenge Vase final in third position in the Midland League Third Division table following a 2-0 victory over Leamington Hibernian on Saturday. The Herefordshire club had defeated Birmingham Tigers, Alcester Town and Continental Star en route to their first Midland League final. The villagers missed out on reaching next month’s Herefordshire County Challenge Cup final following a late comeback by West Midlands (Regional) League Premier Division outfit in last month’s semi-final at Old School Lane. Central Ajax found themselves two places and five points behind Bartestree in the Third Division table after having played one more match than their cup final opponents. The Warwick-based club suffered a 3-1 home reversal at the hands of Coventry Plumbing in their last outing the weekend before last. Central Ajax had defeated Coventrians, Coventry Plumbing and Shipston Excelsior to reach this evening’s final.

The opening stages of this final were relatively even but without too many goal scoring opportunities created by either team. Central Ajax saw a header saved from a 20th minute corner before the Warwick-based outfit headed wide of the near post from another corner three minutes later. Central Ajax went close from a 25 yard free-kick in the 32nd minute free-kick before Bartestree ended the opening period strongly. The Herefordshire club fired narrowly wide of the target from the edge of the penalty area after the opposition defence partially cleared a 41st minute corner. Bartestree went close with a 25 yard half-volley three minutes later but the two teams entered the interval goalless and with everything to play for in the second-half of the final. Central Ajax finally broke the deadlock eight minutes after the interval when Bartestree lost possession in midfield and Central Ajax player picked-up the loose ball before driving across the pitch and firing home from 25 yards out. The Herefordshire club saw a header from a 65th minute free-kick into the Central Ajax penalty area punched away by their goalkeeper under pressure. The Warwick club fired wide from the edge of the penalty area after the ball was pulled back from the byline in the 72nd minute but they doubled their advantage four minutes later after break quickly down the left and fired a low effort past the Bartestree custodian from the edge of his penalty area. The Herefordshire outfit saw an 86th minute free-kick sail over the Central Ajax goalkeeper and drop narrowly wide of the upright before seeing a close range effort blocked after a stoppage time free-kick was played into the penalty area.

Goals: 692
Matches: 152
New Grounds: 15

Digdagdog
First Team Regular

Mar 20, 2019, 12:21 AM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #10 of 39 (6071 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] Tuesday 19th March 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sydenhams Wessex One
HP Arena
AFC Stoneham 4 Newport (IOW) 3
Admission: £6 inc programme (very nice) Attendance: 45

New tick just before the hosts re-locate nearer to the M27. A highly entertaining game; the hosts have racked up some big scores this season at home and I can see why. They move the ball quickly and mostly to feet and attack en masse; this could and should have been far more than just the four goals.
The minus point was tonight they were lax in defending; the island visitors scoring twice on 12 (simple header) and 25 (un-marked on penalty spot). In that time the hosts had missed 3 clear cut chances with the portly away keeper making 3 point blank saves. However, a dipping header on 36 and a floated cross which deceived the keeper and went in off a post on 37 restored parity. HT 2-2.
Straight from the kick off, a volleyed goal from 3 yards on 46 was followed by another placed finish on 55. They also hit the bar three times and allowed the visitors a chink of light and hope by allowing their forward to chase and slide a through ball under the home keeper on 65.
All marvellous entertainment, they remind me of Keegan's Newcastle, or Hoddle's Swindon..."if the other side score 3 , we'll score 4". Crazy stuff. Home in 75 with a quiet trip on M3/A303/A361

2017-18 Games: 171 Goals: 745 GPG: 4.36 New Grounds: 114
2018-19 Games: 164 Goals: 601 GPG: 3.66 New Grounds: 94

Hornchurchspur
Youth Team Sub

Mar 20, 2019, 12:49 AM

Post #11 of 39 (5984 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] Tuesday 19th March 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Southern Combination League Premier
AFC Uckfield Town 1 Crawley Down Gatwick 4
Admission £3 (concession) Attendance c45 (h/c)

This was an entertaining game played on a pig of a pitch that has already suffered from multiple postponements this season. We kicked off five minutes after the scheduled 1930 start but Uckfield soon made up for lost time, scoring with a firm header from a well flighted corner. It was end to end stuff from then on but Crawley Down were level half way through the first half when one of the Uckfield centre backs top edged an attempted clearance beyond his own keeper and it wasn't long before they went in front when some quick passing gave their #9 the chance to nip round the keeper and slot home. Uckfield thought they had equalised just before the break but a close range finish was ruled out, I assume for a foul. Uckfield pressed forward at the start of the second half without making any clear cut chances and fell further behind when a trip on the edge of the area gave Crawley Down easily converted penalty. Any hope Uckfield had of getting back into the game was ended just before full time when a quick break gave Crawley Down the opportunity to add their fourth and complete a convincing win.

Uckfield's base at The Oaks is some way south of the town centre and the entrance to the ground is quite difficult to find in the dark. I turned into two wrong entrances before I struck lucky third time round. The car park is small and I grabbed the last parking space when I arrived 45 minutes before kick off. The ground itself just contains two small areas of covered seating each side of the half way line with the dugouts on the opposite side. A small clubhouse and dressing rooms sit outside.

Windy
Reserve Team Star

Mar 20, 2019, 2:25 AM

Team(s):

Post #12 of 39 (5906 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hornchurchspur] Tuesday 19th March 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

1.0 - Central League - Mansfield Town 0 Wigan Athletic 2 - Admission free - no teamsheets - Attendance approx 40

7.45 - NCEL Premier Division - Hemsworth Miners Welfare 1 Worksop Town 2 - Admission £6 - Programme £1.50 - Attendance 253

Double header Tuesday started at the ground of Alfreton Town where the Central League match was being played. No teamsheets were available which is a poor thing in my view. I can understand if the match is being played at a training ground where they might not have the facility of a printer and/or a photocopier but that wasn’t the case here. Anyway, it wasn’t too difficult getting hold of the teams so at least that was okay.

Both sides turned out elevens full of Under 18 and Under 21 players and I don’t think there was a player on the pitch who had even made their first team debut, which was very unusual. Wigan took the lead just after the hour when a corner wasn’t cleared and Charlie Jolley proceeded to turn and hit a shot that took a hefty deflection and the ball looped up and over the keeper into the top left corner. On 81 minutes, the lead was doubled from an Alex Perry free kick which was met by the glancing forehead of Joshua Martin to flick the ball into the top left corner again.

Then it was a choice of a relegation six pointer at Stocksbridge Park Steels or a huge top of the table match in the NCEL. I chose the latter after a food stop in Pontefract and arrived early which was just as well as all the programmes sold out more than half an hour before kick off. The match started at a frenetic pace and had the feel and atmosphere of a Cup match with Worksop looking to create a club record of 11 straight league wins if they succeeded here. Hemsworth MW were on a terrific run too having won their last seven in all competitions so something had to give. Worksop took an early lead after 12 minutes when a Steven Woodley corner was headed home by Matthew Reay who squeezed the ball just between the keeper and the near post.

On 63, Worksop doubled their advantage from the penalty spot after Matthew Sykes was brought down by Sam Jones and Sykes got up to put the spot kick down the centre to make it 0-2. Within a few minutes it was game on when Bradley Dockerty went down the right and sent in a low cross that was swept home by Seon Ripley across the keeper into the far corner. Worksop’s game management from then was excellent winding down the clock, wasting time here and there which the referee seemed to ignore and basically defending in numbers to deny Hemsworth any clear cut chances.

So three points, a club record and Worksop go six points clear of Penistone Church who they just happen to be playing on Saturday, which should see another big crowd.

Decided on coming back down the M1 which had a few sections down to one lane which was okay but then a closure near Northampton which was a pain and meant that key in the door time was at around 1.30. Talking of time and interesting to note that, for today at least, IMT doesn’t exist up north - the afternoon match started a minute early and the evening match started bang on time.

(This post was edited by Windy on Mar 20, 2019, 2:27 AM)

adji
Reserve Team Star

Mar 20, 2019, 4:25 AM

Team(s): Birmingham City ,Clevedon Town and whoever else i want to watch

Post #13 of 39 (5869 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Also at this one.

For completeness, it should be noted that the game was abandoned on 89 minutes after a mass brawl including all 22 players, both benches and some Raiders supporters

Really ? I left 10 minutes from the end

Please feel free to visit my blog at http://adjithegroundhopper.wordpress.com/

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 20, 2019, 5:58 AM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #14 of 39 (5815 views)
Shortcut

COBDOWN
K SPORTS 0 Deal Town 1
Adm. £8
Programme from February date free.
Tea £1.80 Crazy

A new ground for me, unfortunately too late to see the old stand, but the base where it was remains, as does an old pavilion at the opposite end, presumably these were the old changing rooms?

Not a particularly exciting game, a mistake in defence allowed Deal to score early on.
A sloppy late kick off meant the 2140 train afterwards was always going to result in missing a few mins of the match at the end, but as I was up at 0430 this is what I did.

634 GROUNDS - Punjab United (61/92)
580 WETHERSPOONS - Wallasey
2 WETHERSPOONS HOTELS - Ripon

mxhornet
First Team Star

Mar 20, 2019, 7:05 AM

Team(s): Watford, Celtic, Ajax, Kings Lynn Town and all local ladies teams.

Post #15 of 39 (5694 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] Tuesday 19th March 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Mulbarton Wanderers Reserves - 3 UEA Reserves - 1
Anglian Combination Division Four
Mulberry Park
Attendance - 20ish
Admission - free
Programme - none issued

Opted for my nearest game as it looked like an interesting fixture with MW needing points to stave off relegation and UEA still in with an outside chance of promotion. MW fielded a strong team intent on making the most of their last home game this season. MW took an early lead (5 minutes) and doubled that after 32 minutes before UEA got one back via a dubious penalty just before half time. MW scored a third midway through the second half which UEA had looked more like a side that had made it to the CS Morley cup final but despite several attempts on goal they couldn't increase their tally.

The stand now has two steps installed but no seating at present. But a container has been placed nearby potentially blocking the view from the end of stand.

Watford FC supporter hence the name also follow Hull FC but rarely get to see either these days.

Have now visited over 800 grounds, progress in recent years has been rather slow and will continue to be as things stand.

(This post was edited by mxhornet on Mar 20, 2019, 7:06 AM)

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Mar 20, 2019, 7:43 AM

Post #16 of 39 (5580 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mxhornet] Tuesday 19th March 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

....Desperately trying to use up the annual leave quota, therefore booked the afternoon off together with numerous other bits n' pieces in the hope that there would be something enticing, only to be met with the thiinnest of thin fixture lists in the South East. Eventually plumped for the following for what was a very good and high tempo contest between....

FC Claction 1 v 2 Histon - Eastern Counties League Premier Division
Prog 28 pages £1.20 (v good and refreshing to see an up to date edition rather than a recycled prog from one of the previous times that this contest has succumbed to the weather) - Admission £7.00 - Att 91

....Cruel outcome as the least that Clacton deserved was a point, but one of those endings that given their substantial points advantage at the top of the ECL Prem, I had an inkling that Histon would sneak a late winner.

Contest played at an unrelenting pace throughout on what was a surprisingly good pitch, (still prone to waterlogging but now completely covered by grass unlike the previous trip in July 2017 where there were several bald areas). Histon using the pace for a succession of quick attacks and they were unfortunate not to take the lead when a low cross from Brown on the right saw Balleste's shot on the far post cannon back off the base of the post. Not long to wait for Histon to take the lead with Brown locating a small area of space and directing a low shot wide of Fowler, which in turn took the slightest of deflections to help the ball over the line.

After going behind, I was impressed by the positive response from Clacton whose quick attacks mirrored their opponents. A free kick from Andrade was heading into the top right corner before Roach just managed to push the ball over the bar and then a further free kick from distance by the same player caused confusion after Roach spilled the catch, the Histon defence just managing to clear. Good first half where both teams were using the pace to their advantage.

Equally good second half as well, with Clacton creating the better opportunities. The hosts were unfortunate not to level when J Clowsley's pass inside the defence found the better positioned Hampson, however despite his shot speeding past Roach, McDonald falling backwards spectacularly cleared off the line. The hosts then deservedly levelled with 17 minutes left with the Histon defence failing to deal with a quick move forward,, which in turn led to Hampson placing a shot from the edge of the area wide of Roach. Soon after came the hosts best chance of the evening which would have given them the lead, when Hampson found himself clear of the last Histon defender he rounded Roach, however a momentary pause allowed York to rush back and block the goalbound strike and J Clowsley drilled the rebound inextricably wide of the far post. Loud shout for a Clacton penalty soon after as Hampson crumpled under a challenge, however there was a degree of exaggeration in the fall that clearly irked one Histon supporter who became increasingly animated towards the Clacton players and to the man in black.

In terms of chances created, there was a substantial advantage during the second half in favour of Clacton, however as witnessed on too many occasions over the year with teams in and around the summits of division, that they can conjure up a last ditch winner, which was hardly merited. The home defence were undone by a long throw from McDonald which they failed to clear and York from 10 yards out shot under the dive of Fowler to deliver an additional two points for Histon. 12 points clear and with 2 games in hand, this seasons ECL Prem is very unlikely to deliver any last day drama.

Rather unpleasant scenes at the end as the gobby Histon supporter and a couple of others nearly came to blows with the Clacton keeper, thankfully after the usual exchange of pushes and expletives order was restored.

Good afternoon spent walking along a deserted Clacton seafront in the direction of Jaywick before relocating the Old Lifeboat Station for libation. Rush Green Bowl being quite a way out from the town centre was on this occasion a bugger to locate, however on this occasion the GPS worked perfectly. Thanks to Frinton Orient Keith who I knew was going to be present for the lift back to Clacton Station or else it would have been a struggle in the 23 available minutes to bridge the distance between the ground and the station. No problems in either direction with Greater Anglia and convenient that due to engineering works late night c2c services were re-routed through Stratford, indoors therefore at 00.15....

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 20, 2019, 7:57 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #17 of 39 (5530 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Tuesday 19th March 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

East of Scotland League Conference C
Heriot Watt University v Jeanfield Swifts, 1-2, H.T. 1-2, Att c.30, Admission £5, Programme £1, No catering
At John Brydson Arena (Astro)

It’s always quite pleasant to attend a midweek match at Heriot-Watt and even more so now that the three small grandstands are there. They afford welcome shelter from the winds that can blow around the Riccarton campus.

Swifts have already secured their place in next season’s Premier League. The Watt needed a win to keep their outside hopes alive but despite a valiant effort and the assistance of the referee they couldn’t achieve it.

The ref stepped in around the 20 minute mark. A Jeanfield man was played clean through on a one on one with the goalkeeper. The goalie charged from his box and as the forward knocked it by him, smothered it with his hands. It was three yards outside the box, a certain goal, yet the referee gave the keeper a yellow. To compound things he then made an amazing double save from the resulting free-kick and follow up.

Justice was done a few minutes later when Swifts took the lead but they were pegged back immediately afterwards. Swifts second, on the stroke of half time, was no more than their dominance deserved.

Neither team could make much of the second half with both defences holding firm.

Very good programme on sale for £1 – not many printed, probably 15 tops I’d say. Couldn’t be bothered to move and count the crowd properly but it seemed to be around the 30 mark. The students obviously have better things to do of an evening than watch their football team – I reckon the entire crowd was neutrals like myself and parents of Jeanfield players.

Being an evening game parking was straightforward. It will be entirely different when I go back FOR A 1PM Kick off at the ORIAM tomorrow.

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 20, 2019, 8:36 AM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #18 of 39 (5388 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Also at this one.

Don't worry, everyone. I've reported this to the Groundhopping Rules Committee. They'll deal with this.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

dottirofhod

Mar 20, 2019, 8:49 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #19 of 39 (5345 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Tuesday 19th March 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Don't worry, everyone. I've reported this to the Groundhopping Rules Committee. They'll deal with this.

You missed Bucko a few posts previous and I thought it was just the Germans. Still no roolz.

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 = 227 / 187 / 40 (You know my rules) @20 /04 /2019. Only 17 x 0-0's - ( 3 in 10 recently !).
Project TFTopTierUEFAGrounds2018/19. Clubs 712.Grounds (Variable).(Inc Summer Leagues 2019. TBC) .
Need - 102 (14-3 %) @ 22/04/2019.
Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/author/dadofdottie/

Tim

Mar 20, 2019, 10:01 AM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #20 of 39 (5066 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Also at this one.

Also at:

Bustleholme 1 Worcester Raiders 3

For 80 minutes I thought this was a really good game, with Raiders displaying lots of good qualities, but also hinting at their bad ones on occasion. Sadly there was a great inevitability about the outcome. As so often, once they conceded they started the nasty stuff. Really sad, because they are a talented team, but they have a 'no one likes us' mentality that is really not very admirable. Promotion looks a certainty for them now, but I really hope Droitwich Spa can catch them somehow, bcause there is so much more to like about them.

I thought Bustleholme did well to make a game of it, and were very unlucky not to get a penalty just after their late goal. Friendly bunch, and what good value this all was for £1 for a codger. Good sized and decent cup of tea was a quid. No programme any more - it used to be done by a former player's dad who no longer wants to. Also there: Cox D, Willenhall Kev and Buncranaboy, who will no doubt share his version in due course. Worth noting that the scoreline has appeared as a result on Full Time, so maybe the referee blew a strategically timed final whistle that no one heard...

paulh66

Mar 20, 2019, 10:23 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #21 of 39 (4974 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] Tuesday 19th March 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
COBDOWN
K SPORTS 0 Deal Town 1

A new ground for me, unfortunately too late to see the old stand, but the base where it was remains, as does an old pavilion at the opposite end, presumably these were the old changing rooms?

I visited when the old stand was in use, a couple of years before it was demolished, and the teams used the brick changing block by the clubhouse, which they presumably still use now. The pitch was rotated 90 degrees when they laid the 3G so the old stand was on halfway line and the old pavilion was some way from the pitch. If I recall correctly, this was because the football pitch was shared with cricket. I'd therefore assumed the old pavilion was just used for cricket but I suppose it could've also been used for football in the dim and distant past before the existing changing rooms were built.

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Mar 20, 2019, 10:28 AM)

stingray
First Team Star

Mar 20, 2019, 2:34 PM

Team(s): Step 4/5 local sides

Post #22 of 39 (4346 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Tuesday 19th March 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

South Midlands Premier
LEVERSTOCK GREEN 0-5 COLNEY HEATH
Attendance - about 70, seemed more than usual
Usual midweek expenses/indulgence Cool

Urged on by what appeared to be their entire fanbase - well, it's only five miles away - Colney Heath were rampant and dominant throughout. And there wasn't even the consolation of football - or anything else - being shown in the clubhouse to alleviate the homesters' suffering. Still, it was remarkably calm and peaceful.

My last four visits to la ruette de crepe have resulted in four defeats and a goals aggregate of 0-13. I await my banning order with trepidation. Crazy

117 goals in 33 games
£332.40 spent.

1dringMinstrel
Junior Team Star

Mar 20, 2019, 4:05 PM

Post #23 of 39 (4197 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stingray] Tuesday 19th March 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Romsey Town 3 v 0 Verwood Town
Sydenhams Wessex League Division One
Adm £5, Prog free, Att guess at 90

The prosaically named "By-Pass Ground" is asking for smart alec comments. But as the name implies, it is easily accessible on the A27. Turnstile leads to a concourse with benches and sociable food & drink outlet. Hump-backed pitch. One basic stand to sit in and a couple of 'bus shelters'. Nice feel to the place.
One-sided game where Verwood deserve credit for keeping it down to three. The ball was at the end of an elastic band attached to the visitors' goal.

bagman

Mar 20, 2019, 7:43 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #24 of 39 (3797 views)
Shortcut
Re: [1dringMinstrel] Tuesday 19th March 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sydenhams Football League Premier Div.

Alresford Town (2) 3 v 1 (0) Baffins Milton Rovers

Admission £3 OAP, No Programmes Printed, Attendance 44

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Grounds 2018/2019 Season = 32
Last New Ground : Alresford Town 19th March 2019

Bradshaw
Youth Team Star

Mar 20, 2019, 8:39 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC., Black Country non-league; The F.A.Vase

Post #25 of 39 (3679 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bagman] Tuesday 19th March 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

West Midlands League Premier Division
AFC Bridgnorth 2 Dudley Town 0
Adm £3 (codger), Free programme, Att. (About 40)
My first visit to this ground and the immediate impression is of the pronounced slope of the pitch. Hardly surprising given the alpine-esque terrain of this attractive Shropshire Town. The venue is squeezed into a residential area, a near full length seated stand runs along one side with a covered terrace behind one goal. A tad more substantial than is usually found at this level but due no doubt to the fact that the club, in a previous guise, played at a higher level than step six.
That sloping pitch certainly had a bearing on the pattern of play. The hosts, kicking down the hill, led after 15 minutes when the normally reliable Dudley 'keeper Shane Maydew allowed a free kick to squirm under his body. At the break they looked good value to continue their current run of success but to their credit Dudley, fielding just one substitute and with nine of their regular squad unavailable, took advantage of the slope in the second half. However, they spurned three glorious chances, including a missed penalty. And inevitably, as they piled forward for that equaliser, Bridgnorth broke away in the last minute to score a second.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3