Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
World Snooker Qualifying

hawkwind
First Team Star

Apr 9, 2019, 10:44 PM

Post #1 of 4 (401 views)
Shortcut
World Snooker Qualifying Can't Post or Reply Privately

It's that time of the year again when Sheffield becomes the centre of the sporting universe for almost a month.........................

Perhaps a slight exaggeration, suffice to say the World Snooker Championship is back.

Personally although the finals at the Crucible are a good watch (apart from the often dreadful BBC TV coverage - red button or Internet is essential for live action)
my 'highlight' is the final day of qualifiers (17th April) the one day of the year to spend watching live snooker on youtube. There's a comparison with FACup qualifying there somewhere perhaps?

As well as finding the 16 Crucible qualifiers, the next eight days should decide the composition of the end season's top 64 (the survivors) and which eight players will be invited back on tour with new 2 year cards.

First round begins tomorrow (10th), finishing on Saturday. Sunday and Monday for round two. The final 16 matches begin on Tuesday 16th to be completed Wednesday 17th.

A full independent preview

Round 1 matches to watch out for:
Joe O'Connor v Joe Swail (10th)
Hossein Vafaei v Zhang Anda (10-11)
Rory McLeod v David Grace (11th)
Marco Fu v Luo Honghao (12th)
Ben Woollaston v Elliott Slessor (12-13)
Scott Donaldson v Craig Steadman (13th)

Donaldson (25) is currently the youngest Briton inside the provisional top 64, younger still top 64 players in the qualifiers
are Vafaei, Songsermsawad and five Chinese hopes Zhao Xintong, Lyu Haotian, Zhou Yuelong, Yan Bingtao and Yuan Sijun. (Belgium's Brecel (24) begins at the Crucible).

Allister Carter v Yuan Sijun could be the pick of the final qualifying round ties.

Section 15 looks by far the hardest. Saengkham, Xintong, Hamilton and Selt - difficult to pick the qualifier for the Crucible.

Sit back and enjoy.

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 9, 2019, 11:36 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #2 of 4 (379 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hawkwind] World Snooker Qualifying [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Then there is Jimmy White v Ross Bulman. Jimmy might be passed his best and probably won't reach the Crucible stage but he is still a crowd puller.

Reanne Evans making another attempt to qualify, starting with a game against Zhang Yong. There are a few former top 10 ranked players starting out in the qualifiers as well.

John403
Youth Team Regular

Apr 10, 2019, 11:40 AM

Team(s): Fulham, AFC Croydon Athletic

Post #3 of 4 (302 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hawkwind] World Snooker Qualifying [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Really enjoy the snooker and it’s good that they’ve made a proper event of the qualifiers over the last few years.

Followed snooker all my life and there’s never been so much as there has been the last couple of years. Would like to see a full ten days before the end of qualifying and the beginning of the crucible to give those who have battled through qualifying a bit of rest and prep time.

Of those first round games you highlight I fancy David Grace to beat Rory McLeod.

hawkwind
First Team Star

Apr 10, 2019, 11:25 PM

Post #4 of 4 (202 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John403] World Snooker Qualifying [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My six matches were among those that I thought would be closely contested. Thus O'Connor's 10-1 victory surprised me. Swail presumably heads for QSchool?

A couple of other links that help to follow the tour survival picture are:

The WPBSA tour survival blog

Prosnookerblog twitter

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3