Old fashioned lattice floodlight pylons

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 11, 2019, 1:27 AM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #1 of 2 (865 views)
Shortcut
Old fashioned lattice floodlight pylons Can't Post or Reply Privately

Portsmouth FC have announced that they plan to move one of the four corner lattice floodlight pylons out of the ground and erect it instead in the car-park in the north stand...

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/...k-s-future-1-8884242

This is the pylon in the north-west North Stand/Fratton End corner, to allow the building of extra seating area in that corner of the ground.

There are already plans in place to renovate the Milton End stand this summer, which might involve the removal of the pylon in the north-east corner of the ground. This north-east corner used to be referred to as Boilermakers' Hump, because it was where many of the civilian dockyard workers (including my granddad) chose to stand during the Championship-winning seasons immediately after WWII. As it is, neither of these two pylons on the northern side of the pitch has been used since 2015, replaced by lighting fixed to the roof of the north stand.

Incidentally, Fratton Park hosted the very first floodlit League football match in the country in February 1956 (though the present pylons originate from 1963).

It got me thinking as to how many league grounds in the 92 still have four of the old-fashioned corner lattice floodlight pylons left (working or not), as opposed to the modern solid column type - many league grounds seem to have replaced them with the newer modern style pylons or with lighting positioned on stand roofs. With the help of Street-View and my memory of the ones I've visited, I think the list would be...

Portsmouth - Fratton Park
Brentford - Griffin Park
Southend United - Roots Hall
Swindon Town - County Ground
Cambridge United - Abbey Stadium
Grimsby Town - Blundell Park
Oldham Athletic - Boundary Park
Rochdale - Spotland
Tranmere Rovers - Prenton Park

Brentford's Griffin Park will soon be gone. Are there any others that I've missed?

Other grounds have seen the removal of some but not all of their old lattice pylons...

Carlisle United - Brunton Park still has three old lattice pylons
Bradford City - Valley Parade still has three old lattice pylons
Peterborough United - London Road still has one old-fashioned lattice pylon. It no longer works, and I remember it as being used as a platform for local mobile-phone aerials, but it was good to see it still there.
Perhaps most surprisingly, Nottingham Forest - City Ground appears to still have two old corner lattice pylons. Do these still work?

Being pedantic, Accrington Stanley and Wycombe Wanderers both have lattice pylons, but in a modern style as opposed to the old 1950s/1960s styles mentioned. Also, Preston North End - Deepdale has lattice-looking pylons, but these are obviously modern and built into the roofing of the stands.

Further afield, I remember when ticking St.Johnstone - McDiamid Park a few years back, there was one lone old lattice corner pylon which had been moved from the old ground of Muirton Park when McDiamid Park opened in 1989.

Ropemaker
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 14, 2019, 10:56 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #2 of 2 (483 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Old fashioned lattice floodlight pylons [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bideford in the Southern League have lattice pylons

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3