Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: General Discussion:
Hashtag United

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

leohoenig
Administrator

Apr 24, 2019, 10:53 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #326 of 352 (4612 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottywalds] Hashtag United [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I would question Scottywalds' first answer and could be pedantic on the second.
1) Do you have evidence that they are not paying players? It would be a real surprise if a club could have the success they have without paying players. By and large, I believe the players are not the group of friends they started out with, playing friendlies and creating videos. I am led to believe they have signed reasonable players most of which would have come from these levels.

2) If you are talking of through the gate, then surely hundreds, not thousands - but I would accept thousands via the on-line presence. I have not seen Hashtag and only seen parts of a few videos. They could really go up in my estimation if they suggested the viewers went out to watch "local heroes" in their own localities.
A large portion of clubs at Step 6 (and for that matter many steps above and below this) are effectively funded. This means either the committee, friends and family pay for them, or they get sponsorship from local companies which do not expect to recoup on this investment, or a single person has pockets deep enough.

Where I would like to know if Hashtag is different is can they fund the costs of running the club out of the income their youtube channel generates? If so, then they have changed the game and good luck to them. The question would still be is it sustainable? Can they keep the youtube support year on year, or will interest wane? And of course do they remain market leaders when others start copying their business plan?

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

AndyE
First Team Star

Apr 25, 2019, 12:07 AM

Team(s): Chatham Town

Post #327 of 352 (4425 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Deaf Leopard] Hashtag United [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Have they got another ground lined up? Would need to be Step 5 standard.

Tilbury

I appreciate that to some extent they have to take what they can get, but is that a very good idea?

I don't mind Tilbury's ground, and the top of the main stand is probably the highest point in Essex. But it's not shiny and up-to-the-minute, and the young people who watch Hashtag might consider just it a bit down-at-heel.

More importantly perhaps, the town itself. I don't especially want to be rude about the town just for the sake of it, but it's not many people's favourite town in the world. It's quite a long walk from the station to the ground and there is no bus available. Is it a walk that those young supporters will want to do after dark very often?

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Apr 25, 2019, 12:19 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #328 of 352 (4408 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Hashtag United [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
They could really go up in my estimation if they suggested the viewers went out to watch "local heroes" in their own localities.

Their away games already bring in scores of local young'uns through the turnstiles. From that point on, it's surely up to the home club to hook these kids and attract them back.

Ipeland
First Team Sub

Apr 25, 2019, 12:45 AM

Team(s): Bolton Wanderers, local non-league teams

Post #329 of 352 (4391 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Hashtag United [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
They could really go up in my estimation if they suggested the viewers went out to watch "local heroes" in their own localities.

Their away games already bring in scores of local young'uns through the turnstiles. From that point on, it's surely up to the home club to hook these kids and attract them back.

Aren't the vast majority of the people coming to watch Hashtag going to be fans of the team so will only really want to see their team play? Why would they want to come back when none of the people they watch on the youtube channel are there? That's not a bad thing but they are really just away fans like any other club.

Grounds visited: 281
Last new ground: Y Morfa (Conwy Borough)
Next planned fixture: Unsure

paulh66

Apr 25, 2019, 2:19 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #330 of 352 (4340 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ipeland] Hashtag United [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Might be wrong but I think most who watch them away tend to be locals rather than regular travelling fans. Having a couple of hundred new locals in your ground, regardless of who they're there to see, is a gift horse for any club at that level. It plants a seed and, if they enjoy their first taste of it, word spreads and so on. Even if just a handful are attracted back from time to time, it can make a difference.

scottywalds
First Team Star

Apr 25, 2019, 6:56 AM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #331 of 352 (4216 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
1) Do you have evidence that they are not paying players? It would be a real surprise if a club could have the success they have without paying players

It has been mentioned a few times on their videos, that they do not pay their players. They do pay their manager, but he also acts as cub secretary.

And with the second point, they have had several hundred through the gate - but their big catchment is online.

cope1
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 25, 2019, 8:16 AM

Post #332 of 352 (4039 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] Hashtag United [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I don't mind Tilbury's ground, and the top of the main stand is probably the highest point in Essex. But it's not shiny and up-to-the-minute, and the young people who watch Hashtag might consider just it a bit down-at-heel.

Unless it's changed drastically since my last visit about a year ago, Coles Park isn't a particularly attractive ground...

cope1

Apr 25, 2019, 8:32 AM

Post #333 of 352 (4007 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Hashtag United [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

When I first heard about Hashtag United I wasn't impressed with the whole concept and, with hindsight, I was quite fearful of what it might lead to. I love the tradition of English football and must admit I felt any change needed to have strong justification. Just messing around on YouTube wasn't not such justification. However, I've since had a complete rethink of all of this.

I've spoken to a number of people who have setup new clubs in AFA football. The same questions are asked: why didn't they help a long-standing but struggling club to survive? what's the point of this particular new club? I actually ended up asking myself why would they want to join an existing club, with someone else's traditions and rules and expectations, and what was so important about the existing clubs that they should shelve the idea of building their own idea of a football club?

All clubs were new at some point, and although at a certain level they can represent towns or cities, many don't and in many cases there will be another club nearby that already fulfils that purpose (you don't need Liverpool to represent Liverpool when you've already got Everton, for example). The only purpose any club really has is to facilitate football in one way or another. Anything more than that is icing on the cake.

It seems to me that a lot of existing clubs which struggle do so because they don't appeal to younger fans. That's not because they don't try to, and it's not because they do anything particularly bad, but if those fans are not going to go and support existing clubs, why should they not be allowed to support their own club, built to their own ideals?

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 25, 2019, 9:41 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #334 of 352 (3818 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] Hashtag United [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
More importantly perhaps, the town itself. I don't especially want to be rude about the town just for the sake of it, but it's not many people's favourite town in the world. It's quite a long walk from the station to the ground and there is no bus available. Is it a walk that those young supporters will want to do after dark very often?

I thought walking around in undesirable locations after dark was all that young people did these days, or have I spent too much time reading the Daily Mail? Tongue

aicwhu
First Team Sub

Apr 25, 2019, 9:48 AM

Team(s): west ham

Post #335 of 352 (3797 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Hashtag United [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I too had my doubts originally but They do seem to have behaved well and I can see that an on-line community could be just as valid as one built around a local area.

Anyway if it gets more people, particularly youngsters in any way involved with sport/football I say GOOD

Andrew c

Sarumio

Apr 25, 2019, 7:53 PM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #336 of 352 (2952 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aicwhu] Hashtag United [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

So Hashtag United are moving to...Tilbury?

Forgive my ignorance, but can clubs just freely move around the country nowadays?

Is it ok for clubs to just move wherever they like, providing they didn't start out with an actual base, or have a place name in their club's name? Much like Hashtag?

Tottenham to Tilbury is not just "down the road" - in fact the two places are not really even in the vicinity of each other. Tilbury of course is not even in Greater London, but Essex!

So what's the crack here - are they getting let off because of their poxy, non-descript name, or can clubs really just move all around the country now, like a cuckoo, nesting in any old Step 5/6 club's ground that will have them? I mean if they have no "home", no base, no roots tying them to any particular location, what s to stop them moving every season to another ground a little further north each year? Will Hashtag United be in the Northern League/NPL in 10 years time?

Ropemaker

Apr 25, 2019, 8:12 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #337 of 352 (2906 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] Hashtag United [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

So what's the crack here - are they getting let off because of their poxy, non-descript name, or can clubs really just move all around the country now, like a cuckoo, nesting in any old Step 5/6 club's ground that will have them? I mean if they have no "home", no base, no roots tying them to any particular location, what s to stop them moving every season to another ground a little further north each year? Will Hashtag United be in the Northern League/NPL in 10 years time?

Stansted also in close proximity. Maybe they've an eye on Europe?

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

pitch 63
First Team Star

Apr 25, 2019, 8:45 PM

Post #338 of 352 (2791 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] Hashtag United [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Stansted also in close proximity. Maybe they've an eye on Europe?

At least they are not yet MK Hastag United

Deaf Leopard
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 25, 2019, 10:06 PM

Team(s):

Post #339 of 352 (2623 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
1) Do you have evidence that they are not paying players? It would be a real surprise if a club could have the success they have without paying players. By and large, I believe the players are not the group of friends they started out with, playing friendlies and creating videos. I am led to believe they have signed reasonable players most of which would have come from these levels.

They've got one player who last season was playing in the Conference South. Also got some players who dropped down from reasonable step 4 clubs too. And they were approaching some of the best players in the Essex Senior with 7 day approaches, although i think they were all turned down. Whether that means they actually pay or not remains to be seen

Cal
Junior Team Regular

Apr 26, 2019, 9:18 AM

Post #340 of 352 (2260 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Forgive my ignorance, but can clubs just freely move around the country nowadays?

Is it ok for clubs to just move wherever they like, providing they didn't start out with an actual base, or have a place name in their club's name? Much like Hashtag?

Tottenham to Tilbury is not just "down the road" - in fact the two places are not really even in the vicinity of each other. Tilbury of course is not even in Greater London, but Essex!

They have always stated that they are an Essex team. This season they have been in the catchment for Thurlow Nunn South, next season they're in the catchment for Essex Senior League. Their Sunday team also play in the South Essex league.

Cal
Junior Team Regular

Apr 26, 2019, 9:20 AM

Post #341 of 352 (2253 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Armchair Libero] Hashtag United [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Any skeptics might find this video worth a watch, particularly from 13:58 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRejfKag3d4

derekn
First Team Star

Apr 26, 2019, 10:10 AM

Team(s): Taunton Town

Post #342 of 352 (2146 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cal] Hashtag United [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Any skeptics might find this video worth a watch, particularly from 13:58 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRejfKag3d4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRejfKag3d4

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 26, 2019, 1:42 PM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #343 of 352 (1868 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Since the NPL will be running a new step 4 division from 2020 including around 10 clubs currently in the isthmian / Southern area, but with step 5 and 6 so overbalanced towards the south, it will only pick up more of those in coming years, they might not have to move that far to play in the NPL at that point...

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (928) Hems Way Welwyn Garden City 0-1 Maccabi GB
With FC United: 134
On the agenda:
20/7 FC United v Bangor 1876

Sarumio

Apr 26, 2019, 1:44 PM

Post #344 of 352 (1855 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

They have always stated that they are an Essex team. This season they have been in the catchment for Thurlow Nunn South, next season they're in the catchment for Essex Senior League. Their Sunday team also play in the South Essex league.

They state they are an ‘Essex team’

But Tottenham and the London Borough of Haringay are not in Essex, Nor have they ever been a part of it.

And…Essex is a rather large county by all accounts. Does this statement mean they are allowed to freely move around Essex at will, as well as Greater London, apparently? Can they set up a ground share in North Essex, based on this loose statement?

Cal
Junior Team Regular

Apr 26, 2019, 1:53 PM

Post #345 of 352 (1834 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

They state they are an ‘Essex team’

But Tottenham and the London Borough of Haringay are not in Essex, Nor have they ever been a part of it.

And…Essex is a rather large county by all accounts. Does this statement mean they are allowed to freely move around Essex at will, as well as Greater London, apparently? Can they set up a ground share in North Essex, based on this loose statement?

Can't see the problem with them doing that, if they so choose. It's very unlikely though, as all their players are South Essex/London based.

They're not in the Essex Senior League this season, they're in the Thurlow Nunn South, in which teams playing in Greater London number at least 5 or 6.

SME
Youth Team Sub

Apr 26, 2019, 6:12 PM

Team(s): Bradford Park Avenue Sutton United

Post #346 of 352 (1380 views)
Shortcut

I must admit that I was cynical when I initially heard about this set-up and their accelerated promotion. However, I paid a visit to a home game on a day of bad weather when I fancied an easy trip and was impressed with what I saw, both on and off the field. There was a higher than usual proportion of women and children in the crowd than at an equivalent non-league game, many displaying the club colours in the form of hats and scarves. Food and drink sales also seemed pretty healthy so income outside gate money was good and the atmosphere in general was lively. This begs the question as to what will become of these new fans when the team relocates to Tilbury - I assume most were fairly local ? Another question that comes to mind is have Haringey Borough, a community-minded club, seen a similar upsurge in enthusiasm from the locals ? Do some fans go every week to Coles Lane to take advantage of a cheap afternoon out ?

paulh66

Apr 26, 2019, 7:12 PM

Post #347 of 352 (1289 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SME] Hashtag United [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Another question that comes to mind is have Haringey Borough, a community-minded club, seen a similar upsurge in enthusiasm from the locals ? Do some fans go every week to Coles Lane to take advantage of a cheap afternoon out ?

Might be working the other way round. Haringey were giving out free season tickets to boost their crowds so maybe some of them have latched onto Hashtag too?

Wijit99
Junior Team Star

Apr 26, 2019, 10:04 PM

Post #348 of 352 (1063 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

MK Dons, Corinthian Casuals, Met Police!!!

There is no rule stating a club must be named after a particular geographical location. Nor is there a rule stating any club has to remain playing within a certain boundary, year after year. Clubs have to renew their memberships to County FA's, at this point they have the opportunity to move location and join a new County FA as long as they fulfill certain criteria (Mainly that they are solvent and do not owe money to any creditors). The County FA's can then accept new clubs if they wish.

They will not be the only club to not be playing in their "original" location.

This season in the National south for example; Gloucester were playing in Evesham some 24 miles away. Whilst Truro spent most of the season playing in Torquay, despite having nothing wrong with their own ground! (Only 85 miles away)

As a premier league example: Arsenal FC. There is no such place called Arsenal in England.

Sarumio

Apr 26, 2019, 10:33 PM

Post #349 of 352 (1015 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wijit99] Hashtag United [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

There is no rule stating a club must be named after a particular geographical location. Nor is there a rule stating any club has to remain playing within a certain boundary, year after year. Clubs have to renew their memberships to County FA's, at this point they have the opportunity to move location and join a new County FA as long as they fulfill certain criteria (Mainly that they are solvent and do not owe money to any creditors). The County FA's can then accept new clubs if they wish.

This season in the National south for example; Gloucester were playing in Evesham some 24 miles away. Whilst Truro spent most of the season playing in Torquay, despite having nothing wrong with their own ground! (Only 85 miles away)

As a premier league example: Arsenal FC. There is no such place called Arsenal in England.

I didn't say it was a requirement for a club to be named after a geographical location and am well aware of the countless examples of clubs that are not.

I was merely querying whether clubs could move around the country? It has to my knowledge never happened before. Do not mention the W word! That caused such a stink that the moved club had to give up its rights to all its previous honours and essentially the FA forced them into abandoning their entire history and start afresh as a new club because they had left their home area.

Wijit99
Junior Team Star

Apr 26, 2019, 10:47 PM

Post #350 of 352 (963 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

I didn't say it was a requirement for a club to be named after a geographical location and am well aware of the countless examples of clubs that are not.

I was merely querying whether clubs could move around the country? It has to my knowledge never happened before. Do not mention the W word! That caused such a stink that the moved club had to give up its rights to all its previous honours and essentially the FA forced them into abandoning their entire history and start afresh as a new club because they had left their home area.

It has happened before

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relocation_of_sports_teams_in_the_United_Kingdom

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3