Leicester City donate trophy in 1969

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

May 17, 2019, 6:17 PM

Team(s): Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #1 of 6 (3194 views)
Shortcut
Leicester City donate trophy in 1969 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Perhaps this might belong in 'history' - but thought perhaps it might get more views here. Apologies if any offence caused.

Whilst researching events of Selby in 1969 (long story...) read a snippet in the local paper's sports pages that Leicester City had donated a trophy to be competed for by clubs in the local Selby & District Charles Rice league.

No further detail was given and the story didn't appear in subsequent editions.

So anyone any idea why such a seemingly random donation was given, what happened to the cup, its current whereabouts...??

Traditional Shaw Taylor valediction.

steve walker
Administrator

May 17, 2019, 8:32 PM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 6 (2856 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] Leicester City donate trophy in 1969 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You're right it may get more views here but not necessarily from the people that can answer the question who may be only interested in the History section. Not everyone looks at every part of the forum. That's why it is split into different sub forums so you can browse whatever interests you.

I'll leave it here in General Discussion since you put it here and you may well get responses but I can move it if you would like.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

May 19, 2019, 12:40 PM

Post #3 of 6 (1292 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] Leicester City donate trophy in 1969 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks Steve - as the post has had almost 2000 views but no info arising, if you could move it to history, that'd be kind.

Hereward
Junior Team Sub

May 24, 2019, 10:33 AM

Team(s): Leicester City

Post #4 of 6 (320 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] Leicester City donate trophy in 1969 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The person to ask is John Hutchinson. He is the Leicester City historian and extremely helpful but his time is very much in demand. I shall send you his email.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

May 24, 2019, 2:45 PM

Post #5 of 6 (274 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hereward] Leicester City donate trophy in 1969 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for this - its very kind.

I see you've PM'd me so will attend to that soonish.

Have also contacted the local paper the Leicester Mercury and see if anything comes of that source.

As, when or if anything arises, I 'll post here again.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

May 29, 2019, 7:30 AM

Post #6 of 6 (156 views)
Shortcut

I have had a very helpful reply from John, the gist of which is

The link to Selby might be through the name of the Charles Rice league. The Rice family were great supporters of Leicester City and Leicester Fosse as well as school football in the inter-war years. It's possible that a relative with similar feelings about local football lived in the Selby area, contacted the Leicester club, and the trophy derived from that connection. I'll research the Rice family in the Selby area and post here should anything come of it.

I've already enquired via the league's website...where there is a brief history that refers to cups in that era.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3