Home: All Other Football Interests: Football in other countries:
Austria Promotion, Relegation and Regionalliga West

leohoenig
Administrator

May 29, 2019, 1:50 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #1 of 4 (419 views)
Shortcut
Austria Promotion, Relegation and Regionalliga West Can't Post or Reply Privately

I am in Austria for most of the week. If I ask about promotion and relegation, the answers I get tend to be

"I can't speak English", or "I have no clue what the FA are doing"

This is the best I can work out
  1. Bundesliga. The new system for 2018-19 was a split season with 12 teams starting (22 games), then two groups of six (10 more games).
  2. Red Bull won League and Cup. LASK, second - Champions League qualification.
  3. Wolfsberg third - Europa League group. Austria Wien fourth - Europa League qual.
  4. With one more Europa League play off between Sturm Graz (fifth) and Rapid (top of "relegation" group, and beat second place of that group, Mattersburg in a preliminary play off).
  5. Relegated - Wacker Innsbruck
  6. 2. Liga. Sixteen teams- Wattens lead, going to watch them tonight - Ried the other team chasing promotion
  7. Relegated - Wacker Innsbruck II (currently 8th), because Wacker Innsbruck come down from Bundersliga
  8. Refused license - Wiener Neustadt. So relegated unless they can win an appeal. (I'm not certain if this is possible - the first appeal stage has passed, in which Austria Klagenfurt received their license. I was told repeatedly last season that second appeals were worthless, but Hartberg won theirs)
  9. Regionallia Ost. Sixteen teams. Only two to apply for promotion were Mauerwerk and Rapid II. Mauerwerk (formerly Karabakh) refused license and withdrew appeal. They will finish 2nd. Ebreichsdorf are champions and not interested in going up. Rapid II currently 6th
  10. Three or four relegations depending on whether Wiener Neustadt drop
  11. Regionalliga Mitte. Sixteen teams. GAK have won promotion. At the moment, it appears no one comes down to this league, but Steyr will almost certainly finish bottom and could be relegated if Neustadt were to stay up, so two or three relegations
  12. Regionalliga West. Sixteen teams. Dornbirn are champions and believed to be promoted. League will be disbanded at end of season

In place of the Regionalliga West next season, we will see three new ten team leagues in the three Lander that make up the Region, Voralberg, Tirol and Salzburg
The Salzburg Region voted against this, but the FA ruled in favour of the change
The current make up of Regionalliga West is Voralberg 4, Tirol 5, Salzburg 7
If Dornbirn (Voralberg) go up to 2. Liga, and Wacker Innsbruck II (Tirol) come down, then the new ten team leagues will include the current Regionalliga teams plus 7 from the Voralberg Landesliga, 4 from the Tirol and three from Salzburg.
The top two from the ten team leagues will then go into an Eliteliga, with the winners eligible for promotion.
The remaining eight will play within their Lander for the rest of the season.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Callum
Youth Team Sub

May 29, 2019, 6:56 PM

Post #2 of 4 (367 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Austria Promotion, Relegation and Regionalliga West [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

7. Got me thinking is there a European Country that doesnt have these same rules, would seem an obvious rule but theres always one.
8. W Neustadt last game at current stadium tonight, new stadium in time for next season.

leohoenig
Administrator

May 29, 2019, 11:42 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #3 of 4 (323 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Callum] Austria Promotion, Relegation and Regionalliga West [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If promoted, then the game I watched tonight at Wattens could be the last one their first team plays there
The current ground does not meet Bundesliga regulations - undersoil heating and at least 5,000 covered seats
They will play in Innsbruck if promoted. They are hoping that a new ground can be built in Wattens.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 30, 2019, 7:47 AM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #4 of 4 (281 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Austria Promotion, Relegation and Regionalliga West [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'd heard the same about changes - definitely 3 up from the Salzburgliga this season into a 10 team 3rd level Salzburg regional league.

I wasn't aware it was Wiener Neustadt's last game at the current ground until I got there. Didn't hear anything missing out on a license, mood was pretty upbeat.

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (928) Hems Way Welwyn Garden City 0-1 Maccabi GB
With FC United: 134
On the agenda:
20/7 FC United v Bangor 1876

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3