Bacup Borough history

Philmobil
Youth Team Regular

Jun 18, 2019, 9:41 AM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 9 (1602 views)
Shortcut
Bacup Borough history Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm trying to confirm the history of Bacup Borough.

Wikipedia suggests that the club were the Irwell Springs side that played in FA Cup in 1880s, using that name from 1879 to 1892 before renaming as Bacup

However, the club's official website history page does not make any mention of it.

I know Bacup Borough were associated with the Irwell Springs Mill, but did they play under that name in their formative years and are they the same club as Irwell Springs that were in FA Cup?

London Harrier
First Team Star

Jun 18, 2019, 1:18 PM

Post #2 of 9 (1386 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Philmobil] Bacup Borough history [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I'm trying to confirm the history of Bacup Borough.

Wikipedia suggests that the club were the Irwell Springs side that played in FA Cup in 1880s, using that name from 1879 to 1892 before renaming as Bacup

However, the club's official website history page does not make any mention of it.

I know Bacup Borough were associated with the Irwell Springs Mill, but did they play under that name in their formative years and are they the same club as Irwell Springs that were in FA Cup?

I own a copy of the Bacup Borough FC history book. I can check when I'm home on Friday and report back if you like?

Philmobil
Youth Team Regular

Jun 18, 2019, 1:32 PM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 9 (1356 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] Bacup Borough history [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes, that would be great, thanks

London Harrier
First Team Star

Jun 18, 2019, 1:41 PM

Post #4 of 9 (1343 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Philmobil] Bacup Borough history [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Yes, that would be great, thanks

I've found my notes (based on the Bacup Borough history book, among other sources) stored online. They read as follows:

"Bacup Borough formed as Irwell Springs in 1879, the works team of the Irwell Springs Dyeing Works, renaming to Bacup in 1892 and Bacup Borough in 1920. The club played on a number of out-of-town fields, before moving to the more centrally located West View in September 1889, largely to address falling attendances at their previous homes. Over a thousand spectators tuned out in customary bitter conditions to watch West View’s inaugural game against Accrington. Hopes of increased crowds were boosted by the arrival of the Rawtenstall Tramway in 1889, although frequent derailments must have forced some match-goers to reconsider the health benefits of walking."

Philmobil
Youth Team Regular

Jun 18, 2019, 3:42 PM

Team(s):

Post #5 of 9 (1272 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] Bacup Borough history [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thx

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 18, 2019, 5:05 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #6 of 9 (1193 views)
Shortcut

Irwell Springs were obliged to apply to the FA for permission to change their name to "Bacup". The change is reported in newspapers towards the end of April 1892. At the same meeting, Liverpool FC were admitted to the FA.

Chris M
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 19, 2019, 1:04 PM

Team(s): Everton, Marine, Sheffield clubs generally

Post #7 of 9 (908 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Bacup Borough history [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
At the same meeting, Liverpool FC were admitted to the FA.

Looking back with hindsight, a terrible idea.

Fanatic
First Team Star

Jun 19, 2019, 5:00 PM

Team(s):

Post #8 of 9 (782 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I own a copy of the Bacup Borough FC history book. I can check when I'm home on Friday and report back if you like?

The Wikipedia article uses the book as a source and links to an open source version of it on Google Books.

https://books.google.co.uk/...ge&q&f=false

Bacupian
Junior Team Sub

Jun 21, 2019, 2:12 PM

Team(s): Bacup Borough, Racing Club Warwick, Haslingden St Mary's

Post #9 of 9 (469 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] Bacup Borough history [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As the author of the History of Bacup FC I can confirm that the posts above are accurate. Should anyone need any further information don't hesitate to send me a message.
1879 - Irwell Springs.
1892 - Bacup.
1920 - Bacup Borough.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3