Queen's Park confirm they are leaving Hampden

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 19, 2019, 5:16 PM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #1 of 16 (2027 views)
Shortcut
Queen's Park confirm they are leaving Hampden Can't Post or Reply Privately

If you haven't had the pleasure of watching Queen's Park in a match at Hampden Park then next season is your last chance. The Spiders will be moving into a revamped New (New) Lesser Hampden for 2020/1.

Club statement – transfer of ownership of Hampden Park
We have reached agreement with the Scottish Football Association for the transfer of ownership of the National Stadium and our traditional home, Hampden Park. The Scottish FA will take formal ownership of Hampden Park on 1st August 2020.
Whilst it is a sad day for the club as proud owners of the National Stadium, the conclusion of these protracted discussions and negotiations, will allow the club to fully focus on building our future at an upgraded Lesser Hampden.
We must now look forward to ensure we remain a vibrant and competitive football club within Scottish football. To this end we will be shortly commencing works, on what is presently known as Lesser Hampden, to convert it into a Licensed Ground for our competitive matches.

NI_Glens
Junior Team Regular

Jun 19, 2019, 5:49 PM

Team(s): Glentoran, QPR

Post #2 of 16 (1992 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Queen's Park confirm they are leaving Hampden [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As a season ticket holder at the Spiders for a couple of years in the mid-noughties, this is a great shame. I can't help but feel that the club had their arms twisted behind their back for this transaction to go through.

Will definitely head back for a game next season and hope the club can move forward at Lesser.

LeedsPhil
First Team Star

Jun 19, 2019, 6:14 PM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #3 of 16 (1955 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Queen's Park confirm they are leaving Hampden [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

And thereby next season's will probably be the last time the Amateur Cup Final will be played at Hampden Park. QP's amateur status got that fixture the use of the stadium for nowt. I can't see the SFA being as generous. Ridiculously over-sized for it, but more about the opportunity for the amateur players to get to play there.

BelfastBlue
Youth Team Star

Jun 19, 2019, 6:46 PM

Team(s): Linfield, Camelon Juniors, Rangers, Spennymoor

Post #4 of 16 (1918 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LeedsPhil] Queen's Park confirm they are leaving Hampden [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
And thereby next season's will probably be the last time the Amateur Cup Final will be played at Hampden Park. QP's amateur status got that fixture the use of the stadium for nowt. I can't see the SFA being as generous. Ridiculously over-sized for it, but more about the opportunity for the amateur players to get to play there.

I can still vividly remember a midweek league cup there on an utterly freezing night with 222 in attendance, all hoping for a late goal so that we wouldn't have to suffer extra time. We got it.

Jim S
Youth Team Star

Jun 19, 2019, 10:45 PM

Team(s):

Post #5 of 16 (1718 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BelfastBlue] Queen's Park confirm they are leaving Hampden [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I note that League Cup games are being played at other grounds. When are QP returning to Hampden?

prorege

Jun 20, 2019, 7:13 AM

Post #6 of 16 (1604 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jim S] Queen's Park confirm they are leaving Hampden [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Once the Concert season is over. They'll be back for the start of the League.

Reborn Yellow
Youth Team Regular

Jun 20, 2019, 7:56 AM

Team(s): Hucknall Town, Nottingham Forest

Post #7 of 16 (1567 views)
Shortcut

From their website #* Please note, Queen’s Park are playing our home games at the Penny Cars Stadium, Airdrie, because of pitch works at Hampden Park.
https://www.queensparkfc.co.uk/...-fixtures-announced/

prorege

Jun 20, 2019, 8:11 AM

Post #8 of 16 (1555 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Reborn Yellow] Queen's Park confirm they are leaving Hampden [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yep, they cannot get started until after the Pink concert on Sunday, whoever Pink may be.

Apparently their is some drainage work needing done as well as re-turfing the whole playing area.

leohoenig
Administrator

Jun 20, 2019, 9:14 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #9 of 16 (1488 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Yep, they cannot get started until after the Pink concert on Sunday, whoever Pink may be.

I don't think it was ever establised who Pink was. Either Roger Waters, or David Gilmour, I presume Smile

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

PaulC

Jun 20, 2019, 9:40 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #10 of 16 (1468 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Queen's Park confirm they are leaving Hampden [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

I don't think it was ever establised who Pink was. Either Roger Waters, or David Gilmour, I presume Smile

Was it not Lily?

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

Jun 20, 2019, 8:18 PM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #11 of 16 (1204 views)
Shortcut

This is a real shame . I had the pleasure of seeing Queens Park play Stranraer on the opening day of 2008 / 09 season in front of about 600. It was a great game, but more importantly the QP fans and officials were really friendly and the inner concourses had plenty of old photos relating to their club lining the walls.
Well worth a visit for a Queens game.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 20, 2019, 8:38 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #12 of 16 (1197 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Queen's Park confirm they are leaving Hampden [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Very good Leo. Have a cigar Tongue

BillShep
Youth Team Regular

Jun 21, 2019, 12:36 AM

Team(s): City of Liverpool FC

Post #13 of 16 (1089 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Queen's Park confirm they are leaving Hampden [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Always wanted to go there to watch Queens Park so I will have to make a big effort next season...

----------------------------------------------------------
Evo-Stick North/West Division 1919/20
North West Counties Premier Division Champions 2018/19
City of Liverpool FC - Debut season 2016/17

50th ground watching CoLFC - Kirkby Leisure Centre
Latest new grounds, both on 21st June at The Island Games
78th - Maes Meurig, CPD Gwalchmi
79th - Claret Ground Holyhead Stadium, Holyhead Hotspurs

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Jun 21, 2019, 7:22 PM

Team(s): Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #14 of 16 (832 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Queen's Park confirm they are leaving Hampden [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Appreciate the drole humour going on here, but since the entire album's about Syd, I'll just put my tedious pedant's hat on and quote from Wiki

"The name is derived from the given names of two blues musicians whose Piedmont blues records Barrett had in his collection, Pink Anderson and Floyd Council."

Scottishyeltz
Junior Team Sub

Jun 22, 2019, 6:27 PM

Post #15 of 16 (575 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] Queen's Park confirm they are leaving Hampden [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I feel that Queens Park would be more suited to the new West of Scotland league when it eventually gets up and running. Unless they turn professional, they will always be in the dross category.

Cowden Andy
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 22, 2019, 7:17 PM

Team(s): Cowdenbeath FC

Post #16 of 16 (541 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Scottishyeltz] Queen's Park confirm they are leaving Hampden [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Aye it would really make sense for them to just drop down 2 levels to a league which dosn't exist.

QP do all right for what the are and will always just dodge between L1 and L2 and maybe someday the LL dosn't mean to say they should just give it up.

They have an excellent youth set up as well with one of its graduates picking up a Champions League winners medal just 3 weeks ago.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3