Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
Midland Rail Hub

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 26, 2019, 12:57 PM

Post #1 of 13 (846 views)
Shortcut
Midland Rail Hub Can't Post or Reply Privately

The much-trumpeted 'Midland Hub' has been announced officially. There's a lot of verbiage in the report but essentially it's about improving capacity in and around Birmingham. There will be extra trains to Nottingham, Derby, Leicester, Worcester, Hereford, Cardiff and Bristol.

Moor Street will be expanded (well, there might be room to squeeze in another platform and lengthen the existing ones) and the construction of east and west chords at Bordesley on the Camp Hill line will allow the diversion of some services from SW of Brum and the East Midlands, taking pressure off New Street.

HS2 gets a mention (the station will be closer to Moor Street than New Street) but even if that scheme is dropped these works should go ahead.

Direct services from Coventry to Leicester will be reinstated. This will require work at Nuneaton, either the construction of a flyover or the reinstatement of the underpass half a mile south of the station.

Sadly, the miserable excuse for a station that is Snow Hill doesn't get a mention although I think that the plan to reinstate the fourth platform on the east side will go ahead eventually now that the Metro improvements are complete.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 26, 2019, 1:50 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #2 of 13 (825 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Midland Rail Hub [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

What timescale are we looking at for these improvements? Reinstating the Leicester to Coventry route is long overdue but that will surely be the end of the new Nuneaton to Leamington service.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 26, 2019, 2:22 PM

Post #3 of 13 (811 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Midland Rail Hub [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not before 2024.

Dualling of the Leamington-Coventry route has some support but I don't think it has featured in official proposals. The new Kenilworth station has been built to accommodate a second track.

JimG
Youth Team Star

Jun 26, 2019, 7:05 PM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 13 (731 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Direct services from Coventry to Leicester will be reinstated. This will require work at Nuneaton, either the construction of a flyover or the reinstatement of the underpass half a mile south of the station.

Won't the trains run into Nuneaton TV Station and reverse out? Also, they could just extend the Leamington to Nuneaton service into Leicester.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 26, 2019, 8:39 PM

Post #5 of 13 (707 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JimG] Midland Rail Hub [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Before the WCML upgrade, trains from Leicester to Brum crossed the tracks at Nuneaton on the level (ditto Leicester-Coventry trains during that service's brief period of operation). For safety reasons that wasn't going to be allowed after the upgrade so the goods line flyover at the north end of the station was reinstated for Birmingham trains to reach new platforms on the eastern side.

The current layout at the station might allow Coventry trains to run through to the Birmingham line flyover and then reverse southwards into the new platforms but from a scheduling and operating point of view that might not be acceptable so the preferred solution appears to be a graded crossing at the south end with reversal in the station at those new platforms.

Nuneaton-Leamington trains at Coventry have to cross over four tracks and the operators don't much like that either even though Coventry has no high-speed trains passing through. I suspect they'd get a bit niggly about having two extra movements per hour across a busy station if, as suggested, the service becomes half-hourly but there's no other obvious objection to extending the service as you suggest.

(This post was edited by Mr. T on Jun 26, 2019, 8:42 PM)

JimG
Youth Team Star

Jun 26, 2019, 9:17 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 13 (692 views)
Shortcut

Yes, I see your point. I've just checked the layout at Nuneaton and can see there are no crossovers to get from the down line across to the Leicester line, at least south of the station - as you say it would be an awkward movement, from an operating point of view, to use the flyover.

They would have a similar problem if the re-instated the underpass to the south of the station.

I understand that modern operators don't like points on their track, but at least they would be trailing points. We'll have to wait and see what they do.

Here's the track plan for anyone who's interested:-

http://raildar.co.uk/map/NUN

kirby knitters

Jun 27, 2019, 7:29 AM

Post #7 of 13 (629 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JimG] Midland Rail Hub [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Won't the trains run into Nuneaton TV Station and reverse out? Also, they could just extend the Leamington to Nuneaton service into Leicester.

I'm all for improvement but surely the cost involved doesn't justify all that building work for a line that will probably only be used for that one passenger route of a train per hour. Although not ideal these days I see no major issue with one service crossing the WCML . Nuneaton is a busy freight area , does nothing cross at all?

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 27, 2019, 8:58 AM

Post #8 of 13 (610 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Midland Rail Hub [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Nuneaton is a busy freight area, does nothing cross at all?

Not on the level, apparently. Operators try to avoid having movements across busy, high-speed lines. A recent programme of improvements which hasn't had much publicity has been that to provide for the increase in container traffic from Felixstowe. At Nuneaton this included a connection from the Leicester line onto the northbound Trent Valley slow line using the new Birmingham flyover and avoiding the fast lines in the station. Other examples of recently installed flying junctions are at Hitchin and Reading.

I'd agree that the cost of the Nuneaton works seems high for a modest benefit and looking at a railmap I can't see much potential for Leicester-Coventry freight unless some of those container trains are to be routed that way. The by-pass line at Nuneaton was closed before the First World War.

kirby knitters

Jun 27, 2019, 9:46 AM

Post #9 of 13 (591 views)
Shortcut

Leic- Nun/Bham is a line I've used hundreds of times over a great many years and I had no knowledge of the underpass. Being discussed on R-UK site and I am really no better off to the exact location of it. Could it be near NBFC ground?

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 27, 2019, 10:32 AM

Post #10 of 13 (580 views)
Shortcut

Location arrowed on this:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?X=437012&Y=291647&A=Y&Z=115&lm=1

kirby knitters

Jun 27, 2019, 10:39 AM

Post #11 of 13 (575 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Thanks ever so much for that. I now have location worked out, Further on than NB ground or it would have needed a bloody long tunnel!

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 27, 2019, 1:40 PM

Post #12 of 13 (548 views)
Shortcut

Attached is a rather poor quality image of an 1890s OS map (ignore the red pin that's on the original scan). The 1903 edition shows the line cut at the Coventry end.

(This post was edited by Mr. T on Jun 27, 2019, 1:42 PM)
Attachments: Nuneaton 4.jpg (295 KB)

kirby knitters

Jun 28, 2019, 7:18 AM

Post #13 of 13 (471 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Attached is a rather poor quality image of an 1890s OS map (ignore the red pin that's on the original scan). The 1903 edition shows the line cut at the Coventry end.

Another classic which shows (I think) the line which veers off to the right from Midland and would then go over the original bridge for the WCML. Cemetery is the only thing that I see is still in situ.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3