Sweden trip 28/6-30/6

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 4, 2019, 5:42 PM

Team(s): Scotter United (Scunthorpe League), AFC Telford(home town club),

Post #1 of 7 (626 views)
Shortcut
Sweden trip 28/6-30/6 Can't Post or Reply Privately

While in Sweden a few weeks ago the 'Other SteveB' and myself decided to return this last weekend to attend the 'Night Match' at GIF Sundsvall. Steve arrived a couple of days before me and left a couple of days after, taking in games in the Gothenburg area. I flew from Stansted to Vasteras, hired a car from MABI(96 for three days) and met up with Steve at:-

Friday 28 June

Orebro 0 Helsingborg 1
Allsvenskan Adm 150Sk 2 page 'prog' Att 7191

Nervousrec has already covered this on WDYG so nothing to add. We then headed to the Bishops Arms in Koping for our overnight stop, setting off around 0800 to Sandviken for our first game:-

Saturday 29 June

Hogbo AIK/Sandviken IF2 1 Hofors AIF 2
Gestricksland Div 6 f&n Att 10

This game was played on pitch 5, a grass pitch at the Jernvallen complex. The visitors were by far the better side but somehow found themselves behind just after the break. However they managed to convert two of the myriad of chances and duly took the points.

There are two other grass pitches next to this one, all three having dug outs and very small covered areas. The Gamma Sandviken ground with its superb old wooden stand is still there alongside these three and is being used for small sided games and Bandy so we were told. It opened in 1938 and hosted two games in the 1958 World Cup(Hungary v Wales and Hungary v Mexico) according to Wiki, and is the northernmost stadium to host a World Cup match. Sandviken IF now play their Division 1 Norra(third level) games on the Arena Jernvallen next door, an all weather surface with a covered stand with six rows of seating running down one side. The opposite side where the dug outs sit is basically just a grass bank and both ends comprise of flat hard standing. When we wandered around to have a look there was a women's match starting so we went in for a look:-

Sandvikens AIF 10 Gustavs GOIF 0
Women's Div 1 Norra Svealand Adm 60Sk No prog Att 75

Two nil up at the break, the home side hit six more in thirteen minutes at the start of the second half, and two more late on. They were simply quicker stronger and more skilful. This was only the second women's game I'd seen and while I won't be buying a season ticket anywhere, I won't be looking down my nose as I have previously!

Just a short drive to Gavle for our next game via their old ground which is still in tact:-

Gefle IF 1 BK Forward 0
Div 1 Norra Adm 120Sk Free 4 pager Att 446

Gefle have slid two rungs down the food chain since the Gavlevallen was opened in May 2015. The smart compact stadium deserves better than the current fayre on offer, although Dalkurd are also playing here in the Superettan. The stadium is fully enclosed, no gaps in the corners, and the steps are quite steep giving excellent sightlines. Next door is the local ice rink and across the road is the trotting track. There appears to be ample parking, just as well as it's an edge of town setting. The ticket office is clearly visible at the entrance to the ground but the small club shop is inside.
The game was decided by a second half shot which was out of sync with the rest of the dross served up. For info, the visitors are from Orebro.

With the game ending just become 1800 we had five hours before our final game of the day so having driven up to Sundsvall we checked in to our hotel and had a wander around town before heading to:-

GIF Sundsvall 0 AFC Eskilstuna 0
Allsvenskan Adm 150Sk A4 free mag Att 4950

This was the main event of the trip for us due to the novelty value of a 2300 hrs kick off with the game going into a second day. Regrettably it was a cloudy evening with the odd spot of rain so we didn't get to see daylight for as long as we had hoped. We were told by a local that this type of late start had not happened in Sweden before, hence the special tee shirts on sale at the small club shop.

The ground is just over the river from the town centre and its better to park on the town side and walk across one of the bridges as parking at the ground is limited. It lies surrounded by office blocks but the massive football on top of one of the offices is a significant landmark! Capacity is 7700 but we booked tickets online just in case. In the events the crowd as around a thousand more than would have been expected for these particular visitors. It's a very quirky ground with a strange combination of standing and seating at one end, and a main stand that looks like an office block with seating tagged on to the outside! We were in the 'normal' covered seats and the mini bus load from Eskilstuna were at the other end.

The lateness the hour obviously affected the players, either that or they are crap and have seen the visitors a few weeks ago I can confirm its the latter.

Sunday 30 June

IF Sylvia 4 Bodens BK 2
Div 1 Norra Adm 100Sk Free 4 pager Att 140

After not enough kip and a five and a half hour drive we arrived in Norrkoping. Sylvia usually use the Ostgotaporten, the 1700 capacity home of IFK Norrkoping where we were heading later. In view of the clash we benefited from the change of venue to tick off the home of Lindo FF, the City Gross Arena. It has an artificial surface and is adjoined by other pitches. There's a covered stand with five steep steps with a cafeteria at the back. Given that it was 31 degrees a bit of short shade was very welcome.

Sylvia started quickly and soon went two nil up, adding a third before the break and a fourth soon after. As they eased up in the stifling heat bottom of the table Boden plugged away and reduced the deficit without ever being in with a shout.

After a ten minute cross town dash and some nifty parking we ended up at our final game:-

IFK Norrkoping 0 IK Sirius 1
Allsvenskan Adm 200Sk Free 4 pager Att 8112

I had a quick look at this ground last year and am very pleased to have now seen a game here, even though it was a poor one(do you spot a certain theme here?). It's a ground with character with both ends having standing areas to give atmosphere. Old school floodlights add to its charm. Shame about the game though but to be fair to the visitors they never gave in and sneaked the winner at the death to take the points back to Uppsala.

We stayed in Norrkoping overnight - bars shut at 10pm on Sundays!- and went our separate ways on Monday morning. All in all, a superb trip, even if the football could have been a bit more stimulating. For those interested, badges were available at Orebro, Gefle and IFK Norrkoping. Online tickets were purchased for Sundsvall and IFK.

Where's the 'ignore this poster' button?

Old Man Manc
Junior Team Regular

Jul 4, 2019, 8:45 PM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 7 (578 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colpic] Sweden trip 28/6-30/6 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I am off to Sweden this weekend and IFK on Sunday, but will be back in Malmo before the bars close!

Looking forward to it even more now.

OLD MAN MANC
Miserable
Old
Mancunian
621 games
281 grounds
England, Wales, Scotland, Norway, Eire, Estonia, Northern Ireland, Serbia, Poland, Germany, Hungary, Belgium, Netherlands, Bulgaria, France, Switzerland, Italy, Finland & Sweden.

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 5, 2019, 1:25 AM

Post #3 of 7 (494 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Old Man Manc] Sweden trip 28/6-30/6 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I am off to Sweden this weekend and IFK on Sunday, but will be back in Malmo before the bars close!

I forgot to say that almost everywhere expects you to pay by card rather than cash. It's useful to have some Sk in your pocket but cash is definitely on the way out in these parts! Have a good trip.

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 5, 2019, 5:23 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #4 of 7 (375 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colpic] Sweden trip 28/6-30/6 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

I forgot to say that almost everywhere expects you to pay by card rather than cash. It's useful to have some Sk in your pocket but cash is definitely on the way out in these parts! Have a good trip.

I concur with this. I was in Sweden last December, and as I usually do when abroad I got a load of money out at an ATM when I arrived. I then spent the next couple of days having people in shops/bars/restaurants giving me withering looks when I proffered cash. Sweden is very close to being a cashless society.

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 5, 2019, 8:45 PM

Post #5 of 7 (322 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] Sweden trip 28/6-30/6 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The problem I encountered at a couple of lower level grounds is that the catering outlets did not accept cash but neither did they accept cards. The only payment method accepted was Swish, which requires a smartphone plus both a Swedish bank account and a Swedish ID number. It is almost as if they do not want foreigners to buy anything ... how long before admission at the smaller grounds goes the same way.

>>>
By the way Colin, what was the thinking behind the 2300 kick off at Sundsvall ?

(This post was edited by mick on Jul 6, 2019, 11:25 AM)

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 5, 2019, 9:07 PM

Post #6 of 7 (311 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Sweden trip 28/6-30/6 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

>>>
By the way Colin, what was the thinking behind the 2300 kick off at Sundsvall ?

I really don't know Mick. One of the locals we spoke to said that the club decided to do something different and both the Swedish FA and Eskilstuna agreed to go along with it.

leohoenig
Administrator

Jul 5, 2019, 9:13 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #7 of 7 (309 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Sweden trip 28/6-30/6 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Swish, which requires a smartphone plus both a Swedish bank account and a Swedish ID number.

A similar problem in China, where payment even at market stalls can involve using Wechat. I have Wechat, but I can only pay with it if I had a Chinese Bank account, (I don't).

At Baoding Rongda at the start of April, I had trouble getting in - it was not that they would not accept cash, but that as I was the only person out of 500 trying to pay that way, they could not change a 100 Yuan note for a 20 Yuan ticket. I was stuck until someone else came along that could change my money (paying for me to enter on his phone)

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3