royboy
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 16, 2019, 2:17 PM

Team(s): Borrowash

Post #1 of 9 (1235 views)
Shortcut
Step 7 clubs in the Vase Can't Post or Reply Privately

46 Step 7 clubs have entered this year
and this total has increased year on year with a couple of exceptions.

The four Midland based leagues, CML, LSL, WM1 & ML2 account for 24 and the only other significant one is Middx with 6, Thirteen leagues account for the remaining 16.

I don't think this tells us anything we did not already know about the relative strengths of Step 7 throughout the country though.

leohoenig
Administrator

Jul 16, 2019, 5:02 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #2 of 9 (1171 views)
Shortcut
Re: [royboy] Step 7 clubs in the Vase [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It should say something about ground standards, but I have a suspicion it tells us where the greater number of ground shares are located
How many of the six Middx League clubs in the Vase have a ground of their own?

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Ropemaker
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 16, 2019, 6:03 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #3 of 9 (1129 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Step 7 clubs in the Vase [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The new step 6 division in the SW Peninsula League means a lot of 2018/19 step 7 entrants from that league are now step 6

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Sunny Nunny
Youth Team Star

Jul 17, 2019, 5:46 PM

Team(s): Nuneaton Borough

Post #4 of 9 (998 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] Step 7 clubs in the Vase [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'd say ease of travelling is probably a prohibitive consideration for teams in the more remote areas , when considering entering a national competition . Much less of a problem in the Midlands .

Cris
Youth Team Star

Jul 17, 2019, 8:59 PM

Team(s): Bromsgrove Sporting

Post #5 of 9 (953 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sunny Nunny] Step 7 clubs in the Vase [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I'd say ease of travelling is probably a prohibitive consideration for teams in the more remote areas , when considering entering a national competition . Much less of a problem in the Midlands .

I donít buy that argument, early rounds are heavily regionalised and by the time traveling gets longer prize money would cover it and cost would be split anyway. Iím not sure there are any many examples of clubs who could qualify for the Vase, but who donít enter.

The reason there are more teams in the Midlands is thatís where there are clubs with facilities that mean they qualify for the Vase, which makes the lively reduction in step 6 leagues in the midlands seem really questionable.

Gray
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 18, 2019, 9:14 PM

Team(s): Enfield Tn

Post #6 of 9 (794 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cris] Step 7 clubs in the Vase [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

The reason there are more teams in the Midlands is thatís where there are clubs with facilities that mean they qualify for the Vase, which makes the lively reduction in step 6 leagues in the midlands seem really questionable.

Sorry i don't understand yr comment/concerns. Next season the number of step 6 leagues will be reduced to 17 across the country. After the extra promotions to step 5 and promotion / relegation with step7 the total number of clubs remaining will be distributed to 17 new leagues. The leagues will fit the clubs left at step6 not vice versa.
The season after if there are more clubs with facilities for promotion in the midlands and provided relegation is equal from each league there will gradually be more step6 midland clubs.
To get more maybe the West Midlands should revert to county leagues at step7 increasing the number of leagues from just the 2 candidates from the WMRL1 & MIDL1.

royboy
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 21, 2019, 1:16 PM

Post #7 of 9 (605 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] Step 7 clubs in the Vase [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The new step 6 division in the SW Peninsula League means a lot of 2018/19 step 7 entrants from that league are now step 6

Very good point. Last season the SWP ones, between them, had 8 entrants so would have been well up with the others.

By the way I had missed Droitwich Spa from my list so the true figures, in my list, were 47 and 25.

Dazzla84
Reserve Team Sub

Aug 16, 2019, 4:16 PM

Team(s): South Shields and North East football in general

Post #8 of 9 (236 views)
Shortcut
Re: [royboy] Step 7 clubs in the Vase [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In the North East, iv'e counted just the two. Alnwick Town (Northern Alliance Premier) and Stokesley S.C. (North Riding Premier). They have away ties at Northallerton Town and Yorkshire Amateur respectively.

No entries from the Wearside League this season though, Darlington RA have not entered

CLARET AND BLUE PIXELS: http://claretandbluepixels.wordpress.com

My blog for Talk on Non-League Football, South Shields FC and Video Games, yep a weird combination

royboy
Reserve Team Regular

Aug 16, 2019, 6:03 PM

Post #9 of 9 (195 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dazzla84] Step 7 clubs in the Vase [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
In the North East, iv'e counted just the two. Alnwick Town (Northern Alliance Premier) and Stokesley S.C. (North Riding Premier). They have away ties at Northallerton Town and Yorkshire Amateur respectively.

No entries from the Wearside League this season though, Darlington RA have not entered

Yes I agree with that.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3