Home: Non League Football Information: History:
Self-publishing

TUFCJON
Youth Team Sub

Jul 20, 2019, 9:23 AM

Post #1 of 8 (949 views)
Shortcut
Self-publishing Can't Post or Reply Privately

I am thinking of trying to put out a club history - a mix of stats and narrative.

Is it easy to use one of the available services (Lulu for example) to get material into a usable format?

Is it easy to get the book published?

I am not looking to make a profit but donít want to be left with a net cost either.

I would really appreciate it if anyone could share any experiences either on this thread or by private mail.

I do not have the time to bother if the process is complicated, but would love to have a go if relatively easy.

bmccoll
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 21, 2019, 4:28 PM

Post #2 of 8 (794 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TUFCJON] Self-publishing [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've used Lulu on a number of occasions and found it relatively straightforward.

They go through the process from start to finish. You pick what format you want (A4 A5 etc, colour/ b&w or both, binding etc) and download the appropriate template and away you go. They also supply the ISBN number (which is needed to sell the book).

When preparing your manuscript, it is vitally important to insert page breaks between each page.

When your file is ready you need to convert it into a pdf file (ie "save as PDF") and upload it via the site.

The hardest part I found is preparing the cover. This is also created by MSWord but you need to get the dimensions fairly accurate so it fits the size and thickness of your book.

The site has an extensive forum which is verygood at answering virtually any query fairly quickly.

http://www.scottish-football-historical-archive.co.nf/

boyspen
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 21, 2019, 4:30 PM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 8 (794 views)
Shortcut

I did this last year in a small run of about 100 copies, & priced it so that it broke even if all were sold.
https://thedribblingcode.wordpress.com/...act-collieries-book/
Having previously taught myself how to do basic page layout / design.
If you can do that, it's easier just to go straight to a digital book printers online, rather than go via a publisher or publishing service.
You send them a PDF file, they print your books and send them to you, and then you sell them.
Most printers will also print from Word files if you aren't able to supply as a PDF.
I have known people that've used Lulu and been happy with the results, but as they're only printing 1 at a time it's obviously more costly. The simplest / cheapest / quickest way if possible is to be your own 'publisher' and just pay for the printing doing.
I can PM you a couple of links to printers if it's of use.

Flickr photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/thedribblingcode/albums
Blog (match/ground reviews) at:
http://thedribblingcode.wordpress.com
@dribblingcode on Twitter

Canary
Junior Team Star

Jul 21, 2019, 7:23 PM

Post #4 of 8 (765 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boyspen] Self-publishing [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

From my experience of self publishing a few years ago, I'd say the biggest hurdles to overcome are the distribution, marketing and sales.

southend statto
First Team Star

Jul 21, 2019, 8:36 PM

Team(s): most of my local sides

Post #5 of 8 (746 views)
Shortcut

I use doxdirect.com - never a problem - quick turnaround - you choose the type of binding, page size etc. etc. etc.

TUFCJON
Youth Team Sub

Jul 22, 2019, 12:04 AM

Post #6 of 8 (716 views)
Shortcut
Re: Self-publishing [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for all the input - much appreciated.

I have bought two of Brian's Lulu books, so pleased to hear he gives them a clean bill of health.

Both of Brian's books were a decent product at a reasonable price. I would like make the book good value for money.

Print on demand seems the easiest option without having to fund an upfront print run - and keep the flexibility of printing as many as needed.

Will dig into it a little deeper.

Any more ideas or opinions welcome.

cook
Ballboy/girl

Jul 23, 2019, 12:51 PM

Post #7 of 8 (550 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I am thinking of trying to put out a club history - a mix of stats and narrative.

Is it easy to use one of the available services (Lulu for example) to get material into a usable format?

Is it easy to get the book published?

I am not looking to make a profit but donít want to be left with a net cost either.

I would really appreciate it if anyone could share any experiences either on this thread or by private mail.

I do not have the time to bother if the process is complicated, but would love to have a go if relatively easy.

This is something I'm looking to do in the future for Alnwick Town.

Are there extra costs for photos / colour? Got scans of all the programmes I have so would want to include some of those if possible, along with old photos from other collections.

Long way off yet as I still have a lot of stuff to type up, but I could do a more recent history as we are close to having filled most of the gaps with that.

Beano
Reserve Team Star

Jul 29, 2019, 9:52 PM

Team(s): Ashford Town (Middlesex), Prescot Cables

Post #8 of 8 (237 views)
Shortcut

If you're looking at Print On Demand, you might want to look at Kindle Direct Publishing from Amazon. This is the replacement for Createspace, which I used to publish the history of Ashford Town (Middlesex).

Although some might baulk at working with Amazon, this does have advantages. The company is, after all, the world's biggest bookseller and using their service means you can publish eBooks and paperbacks without spending any money.

Some basic design skills are helpful and as Brian said covers are hard to get right whichever software you use to lay them out, although KDP does provide templates and other resources that might help.

Because I did the design and layout work myself, the book didn't cost anything to publish, although I did end up buying copies for Legal Deposit purposes and for marketing, etc.

Of course, one further advantage of having gone down this route is that my book will remain on sale until I 'retire' it, meaning it is still available for anyone interested. Wink

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3