leohoenig
Administrator

Aug 17, 2019, 5:32 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #1 of 5 (1253 views)
Shortcut
Adrian Titcombe (FA/Southern League) Can't Post or Reply Privately

https://www.betvictorsouthern.co.uk/...Adrian-Titcombe-RIP/
I met Adrian on a few occasions while acting as a photographer for the Non-league directory, particularly at the Wembley finals. He was always a great friend of the non-League game.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

MelChester
Junior Team Regular

Aug 17, 2019, 7:52 AM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 5 (1227 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Adrian Titcombe (FA/Southern League) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Met him a few times at various meetings, very nice person. One introduction line was "if you recognise me it's from my TV appearances, I'm the old boy in a blazer who sometimes leads the teams at Wembley" delivered in a very jocular and friendly way.

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member! / Moderator

Aug 17, 2019, 10:16 AM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 5 (1167 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MelChester] Adrian Titcombe (F.A./Southern League) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

15th August 2019

The Southern League learnt today that Adrian Titcombe died suddenly whilst away on U.E.F.A. business abroad.

Whilst working for The Football Association, Adrian's roles included Head of Security for Euro 96, Head of Competitions and Registrations, Head of Security and Safety, F.A. Ground Grader, U.E.F.A. Match Delegate and for many years was the man who led the teams out for the F.A. Cup Final.

He also played a leading role and was responsible for the Non League pyramid of football which was the forerunner of today's National League System.

League President, Keith Allen, reflects -

After gaining a Masters degree in Arabic, he was a tutor at Millfield School, Somerset.

He then joined the F.A. and moved with his wife Jeane and family to live in Harrow.

He was at that time a linesman on the Southern Football League with Alan Foot who is the League's Company Secretary.

I first got to know him in the late 70's when we attempted to re-organise Non League football, with some limited success. We became firm friends.

He had various jobs at the F.A., ending up as head of ground grading and security.

For 20 years he was seen leading out the teams in the F.A. Cup final at Wembley.

He also was a Match Delegate for U.E.F.A. and it was in that role in Europe when he passed away.

I worked with him for 40 years, we had similar views and aspirations on Grading and Non League football. But we would occasionally have long discussions and differing opinions on certain aspects. But we always moved on and agreed to differ.

We shared a passion for cricket and enjoyed the odd day at a County match. He was a Member of Somerset from his Millfield days. He travelled regularly from Harrow to Taunton to watch county games.

We shared the same ethos for Ground Grading, it had to be right but if it was not then help, advise and assist until it was.

We chatted long and regularly on the 'phone on many subjects, sometimes even on football and Ground Grading.

He was a Fulham fan. Our last long phone call was on Monday, mostly about cricket and calls were rarely less than an hour.

As you can imagine I am left devastated. He was concerned with other people's health issues not knowing what was just round the corner for him.

Adrian will be dearly missed by us all.

Cyprus police stated that Adrian Titcombe, 74, felt unwell and lost consciousness while sitting with colleagues in a hotel lobby in Nicosia.

Titcombe was rushed to hospital where doctors confirmed that he had died.

The U.E.F.A. delegate was in Cyprus for the third qualifying round second leg match between Apollon Limassol and Austria Wien at Nicosia's G.S.P. stadium.

(This post was edited by John Treleven on Aug 17, 2019, 10:22 AM)

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

Aug 17, 2019, 1:01 PM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #4 of 5 (1102 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Adrian Titcombe (F.A./Southern League) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I am saddened to hear of Adrian Titcombe’s passing. I recall him in the 70s as a Southern League referee , and a very good one at that.
Condolences to all who mourn his passing.

SuperKev!
First Team Star

Aug 18, 2019, 9:56 PM

Post #5 of 5 (852 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Adrian Titcombe (F.A./Southern League) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I had many a long telephone conversation with Adrian when I was ground grading for the Essex Senior League. A helpful and grounded man with a good sense of humour. He will be sadly missed. RIP.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3