Saturday 17th August 2019

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Hertspireite
Junior Team Star

Aug 17, 2019, 9:30 PM

Team(s): Chesterfield FC

Post #26 of 84 (4703 views)
Shortcut
Re: [codofthenorth] Saturday 17th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

National League
Barnet 2 v 2 Chesterfield (HT1-1)
Attendance 1119 (247 Chesterfield)

Admission £20/13 Under 17 £5
Prog online only.

My first visit to The Hive, the (new) home of Barnet and the London Bees (Ladies). It said online that parking at Canons Park LU (tube) Station was £2...It was actually £6. A lot of the street parking is restricted Mon to Fri, so that meant lots of places to park on a single yellow line on a Saturday. We managed to find a space on Buckingham Road, and walked around the corner to enter the Hive Playing Fields. The tube station is also barely a 5 minute walk to this gate and then a short walk past the training pitches and in to the ground itself. I had the 14 year old nephew with me today, and he was enjoying the day out.

During the first half Barnet played the better game, keeping hold of the ball and travelling well towards the goal. Chesterfield seemed to pick up their game in the second half with their new signing Mike Fondop putting Chesterfield 2-1 up. A poor tackle in the box meant that Barnet equalised with the subsequent penalty making it 2-2. With just minutes left the Barnet GK made a fantastic double save keeping the score line level.

2018 -19 season. 7 new grounds.
2019 -20 season 14 new grounds.
Newest ground visited, JP Mitchell Stadium, Herns Lane, Welwyn Garden City, Southern Central Div 1 - Step 4

(This post was edited by Hertspireite on Aug 17, 2019, 9:33 PM)

hotchkiss
First Team Sub

Aug 17, 2019, 9:30 PM

Team(s): wolves,non league

Post #27 of 84 (4703 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KevinW] Saturday 17th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

GLEBE FC [0] 0 DEAL TOWN [1[ 2 Southern Counties East.Admission £8 / £5 with a good programme.Att; 60. The ground is situated in Foxbury Avenue which is a private road There was a couple of cricket matches in progress as you go along the road.Next to the main stadium there was a football match in progress not sure who was playing.Good clubhouse and the pitch was in very good condition.Two small covered standing areas one behind the far goal,The main stand had about 50 seats.Fully enclosed with hard standing on 3 sides with the far touchline out of bounds.The visitors fully deserved their win with a goal in each half.Enjoyable match.

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Aug 17, 2019, 9:31 PM

Team(s): Whoever plays Ipswich Town

Post #28 of 84 (4698 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hotchkiss] Saturday 17th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I drove to Diss & had a wander round the pleasant little town (I’ve been to the football many times but never been into the town). Warm when the sun did come out (a lot cooler in the cloud & windy at times) with a couple of brief light showers. The museum was tiny & the Corn Hall art gallery wasn’t my kind of thing but plenty of historical information in the town dotted around. Near where I parked is Diss Cricket Club where a game was in progress. Normally when I see a game the attendance can be counted on one or two fingers but here a bumper crowd of 11 or 12.
I then continued driving to:

Hadley & Ottaway Anglian Combination League Division 5 South
Norton Athletic 4 (15, 18, 81 & 83)
Tacolneston 1 (42)
KO: 14:30 Att: 21 h/c Cost: Free Saw no progs

Venue: The Highfield, Loddon Road, Norton Subcourse, NR14 6RY
A better venue than I was expecting in the middle of nowhere. Fairly enclosed with the entrance in the corner & behind goal. Behind this goal for most of the length is space for cars to park both lengthway & widthway on the grass in front of bushes. There’s a fairly new looking 2 bar wooden fence. In the other corner is a new looking Football Foundation wooden building with changing rooms & to the side of it a new looking permanent snack bar. H/s path in front & a couple of wooden benches. One side has grass where some cars parked up to the dugout. Currently new dugouts are being built to replace the tiny metal blue ones they have with wheels & is almost full with two people inside. Mostly bushes behind then a farmers field & you can see for miles. Behind other goal is a gravel track with farm buildings including one which has fell apart, machinery & other odds’n’ends. Just like last weeks 2nd game tractors were inside the ground being used. Other side has grass area with most of it having set back a 2 bar wooden fence. Some advert boards dotted around. Behind are weeds & sting-a-nettles in front of bushes. Across the quiet road is another farm building.

Match: For almost an hour it was hot here unlike at Diss despite the wind. Then it went cloudy & the temp dropped a lot.
NA took the lead with a weak shot & 184 seconds later they scored again. They had numerous efforts with the gk making a few saves. TAC had a speculative shot from an angle which found its way passed the gk. Shots 12-4. NA must have been disappointed to be only leading by one goal.

H/t lasted over 7mins. Not much happened for long periods this half. NA headed over from a couple of yards out but he only just reached it. TAC defense disappeared at the end of the game with 2 goals in 94 seconds & more could’ve been added. Shots 7-4.

Also there was a nasty aggressive alsation dog. Given half a chance it would've probably attacked many people including myself as the handler stuggled to handle the lead when he walked past me.

Only 3 non reserve sides in the division so a bonus managing to catch this match up.

(This post was edited by pinewoodste on Aug 17, 2019, 9:36 PM)

LLD
Reserve Team Star

Aug 17, 2019, 10:15 PM

Team(s): Livingston

Post #29 of 84 (4546 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pinewoodste] Saturday 17th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Lothian & Edinburgh Amateur FA - Edinburgh West Division
Sporting Fauldhouse AFC 1-2 (1-5) Balerno Athletic AFC
at Longridge
Attendance - 15 (h/c)
No admission, no programme, no food available

My rules say that pitches should have a barrier, so that tends to rule most amateur football out. I have been known to bend those rules, however, and this was one such occasion.
With my main event of the day not kicking off until 4pm, I looked at local options to squeeze in an earlier game and spotted that this game was to be played at Longridge School. I didn't realise there was a pitch in Longridge, so decided to investigate.
Longridge itself is a small village on the road between Whitburn and Fauldhouse. It sits on top of a hill and on a clear day, there are panoramic views to be had of a large swathe of West Lothian and Fife.
The pitch is on one of the view flat parts of the village, over the road from the local primary school rather than within it. It's unenclosed, but there are trees and bushes down two sides and at one end that give it an enclosed feel, not too dissimilar to some venues in the Forth & Endrick League. It also features square goalposts, a rare sight these days.
Thanks to a prompt start and short half time, I managed to catch 70 minutes of the game, by which time Balerno led 2-1, having held a two goal lead. It would seem that they produce a late spurt to score three further goals after I departed.
Balerno were certainly the more accomplished side based on what I saw, but it was a decent competitive game. Fauldhouse's goal came from what I felt was a soft penalty award.

A drive of thirteen miles and about 25 minutes later, I arrived in plenty of time for...

William Hill Scottish Cup - Preliminary Round One
Lothian Thistle HV 5-0 Wigtown & Bladnoch
at Albyn Park, Broxburn
Attendance - 35 (h/c)
Admission £5, programme £2, limited food available

This game was supposed to take place at Lothian's normal Saughton Enclosure home last week, but some disastrous 'pitch maintenance' by Edinburgh Council workies has rendered that venue unplayable for now.
During the week, Lothian decided to move the game to Albyn Park with its artificial pitch to ensure that it was played. I think it's the second time they've used this venue for a home game - I was certainly at an East of Scotland League game of theirs against Preston Athletic in April 2018.
The preliminary rounds of the Scottish Cup tend to throw up mismatch games, especially when clubs from the South of Scotland League come up against juniors or decent East of Scotland League sides. I fully expected this to be another one and I wasn't to be disappointed.
Wigtown shipped eleven goals recently to Abbey Vale in the league and on another day this could have been a repeat, such was Lothian's dominance.
They racked up four first half goals, two of them excellent long range strikes, but took their foot off the gas a bit after the break.
Like many South teams, Wigtown have a limited population to draw on, with their village population being barely into four figures. Newton Stewart and Creetown also have teams within a few miles.
Wigtown went into abeyance a couple of seasons back due to a lack of players, but had a squad of 15 today. Judging by the size and shape of a few of their players, this group may have contained every able bodied Wigtown male of football-playing age!
It was good to catch up with prorege once again - we are going through another phase of picking the same games at the moment. We availed ourselves of a couple of abandoned, yet very comfortable wicker chairs in the Albyn Park shed for the first half, before dragging ourselves into the open for the second.
With a small attendance expected, the Broxburn catering wasn't operational, which given my hangover induced hunger pangs was a very bad thing. In my august opinion, Broxburn's steak pies are fantastic, amongst the best available anywhere in Scotland. There was a range of drinks, crisps and confectionery available at the reception area of Broxburn's very well appointed clubhouse building, but it was scant consolation.
Paper was available today, but I don't think Lothian are regular issuers.

For all your Scottish football fixture needs: scottishfootballfixtures.wordpress.com

(This post was edited by LLD on Aug 17, 2019, 10:17 PM)

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Aug 17, 2019, 10:25 PM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #30 of 84 (4518 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Saturday 17th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
L1
Tranmere 5-0 Bolton
Att 8,568 inc 2,014 away

Job done against a team of kids who can't be faulted for effort or trying to play decent football but are currently way out of their depth. You can only beat what's put in front of you, though, and, after all, this was their biggest defeat of the season. Important for us to start scoring and to get points on the board sooner rather than later, and this should give the lads a confidence boost, not least the impressive Ferrier (whose second and our third had everything you want from a striker - awareness then strength then sublime skill, topped off by a neat finish).

37 minutes of one-way traffic before the opener from Banks, Ferrier poached second a couple of minutes later and hit the third just after the break, Jennings made it four and a flukey deflection from Payne of Mullin's shot completed the scoring. They hit the bar from a free-kick on the stroke of half time but their nil was merited.

Sad that a visiting nutter invaded the pitch in the second half, equally sad that he was allowed to bumble around for far too long before any stewards went after him. Game never really got going again after that and, by the end, it was all beginning to feel a bit hollow.

Can't draw too many conclusions from this but we'll gladly take the points, a thumping of our old foes and all the other positives into Tuesday's visit to Bristol Rovers.

Also at this one. The kids did well again but would have benefitted from keeping it 0-0 until half time, but heads dropped a little easily after the first goal.

Don’t think it would have been too different a game had Ferrier been sent off for a horror tackle on Harry Brockbank at 0-0 but we’ll never know.

Endless support from the Bolton fans as has been the case all season. 2,000 travelling with tickets only going on dale on Wednesday was a serious effort but I’m sure it can’t last forever with patience wearing thin at the time it is taking to get the takeover sorted.

Shame about the numpty on the pitch, especially with so many police in that area in the ground after numerous attempts by a section of Tranmere fans to goad some of their Bolton counterparts across the corner of the pitch. All a little sad although entirely predictable after previous visits here, with several of the Tranmere faces recognisable from trying to kick it off on the train from Liverpool before the game. No love lost between the two although it probably puts things in to context that 10 of the Bolton squad of 18 weren’t even born the last season we visited Tranmere for a league fixture. Special mention to the numpties and their weekly smoke grenades making the concourse a no-go area at half time.

Travelled on the train but not much of a boozy away day, just the one pint at Lime St JDW (The North Western) and a swift half at the Crown post match. What Leigh lacks in a railway station is more than made up for with other options; a 12 minute drive to Newton-le-Willows takes us in to Merseyrail territory and a return to Rock Ferry costing a bargain £3.50 via a 19 minute journey to Lime St.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Aug 17, 2019, 10:31 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #31 of 84 (4491 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pinewoodste] Saturday 17th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Welsh Trophy : Pontnewydd United 4 Aberystwyth Exiles 6. f&n; attendance 30 (hc)

It was meant to be a visit to Hellenic newboys Hazlemere today but tweets from Aldermaston said the game would be at nearby Prestwood - the result on fulltime says it was played at Hazlemere, so who knows..........
Anyhoo myself and the Town Crier decided to head 90 minutes south west to the northern fringes of Cwmbran to a ground I'd driven past many times without knowing whose it was. Pontrhydyrun Fields is just a railed off pitch with a modicum of shelter from a couple of mature trees, useful during a brief second-half shower. There's a car park by the dressing room block but street parking is not an issue. Not much in the immediate vicinity save for the Ashbridge Inn directly across the main road. It's adjacent to a Premier Inn so not too inviting. Those going on the Gwent Hop next weekend will spot it but it may well have changed its name by then Cool
We had time pre-match for a swifty at the Mount Pleasant Inn in Old Cwmbran where they were settling in for the rugby; old style boozer with ales from Grey Trees and Mad Dog (Caerleon) before getting back where they kicked off at 2.24 because, according to the ref, everyone was ready.
The tie pitted last season's Newport & District Premier champions (now in Gwent 3) against a side from the Cardiff Combination and we had a rollicking first half of seven goals, Exiles going two up with goals traded after that. They didn't leave the pitch at the interval so we were soon back in the goals with an equalising penalty before the visitors finally pulled clear. Cracking entertainment and played in good spirit.
All done and dusted just after 4 so we headed homeward to Ross on Wye and its new-ish micropub The Tap House which is an excellent, nicely-decorated little boozer opposite Morrisons with a superb selection of ales and gins if that rocks your boat. All topped off with a fish supper from a chippy on Ross's main drag and home by 7.45 capping a super day out.

Tim
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 17, 2019, 10:41 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #32 of 84 (4465 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] Saturday 17th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Madeley White Star 5 Cheadle Town Reserves 1 (Staffordshire County Senior League Division 2) Att: 37 h/c f&y

White Star began their time in the County League in fine style with a comprehensive victory, thanks to four goals and an assist from Kieran Brown, who looks way too good for this level. It was an entertaining game and we could have had many more goals. Our referee missed a very clear penalty but was otherwise fine.

White Star's new home is Madeley High School, which is in a surprisingly rural setting. The pitch was fully roped with portable dugouts, and a small grass bank along one side provided a decent view of proceedings. Good company all round: Fatboyfat and I were joined by Cooper D and Muggsy, with Martin55, Penny Banner and BobLHatt among the other spectators, lured by the promise of a programme, which turned out to be a free 4 pager. Tea and coffee could be had for a donation: all in all, a smashing day out at a super club. I hope they do well this season: if Mr Brown remains with them, they will.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Aug 18, 2019, 12:19 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #33 of 84 (4196 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] Saturday 17th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
L1
Tranmere 5-0 Bolton

Don’t think it would have been too different a game had Ferrier been sent off for a horror tackle on Harry Brockbank at 0-0 but we’ll never know.

Looked worse than it was, seen reds given though. Likewise for the Bolton lad's nasty raking challenge down Monthe's achilles in the second half.

In Reply To
...it probably puts things in to context that 10 of the Bolton squad of 18 weren’t even born the last season we visited Tranmere for a league fixture.

Too right it does - only one of us has been living within our means since then!

In Reply To
Travelled on the train but not much of a boozy away day, just the one pint at Lime St JDW (The North Western) and a swift half at the Crown post match. What Leigh lacks in a railway station is more than made up for with other options; a 12 minute drive to Newton-le-Willows takes us in to Merseyrail territory and a return to Rock Ferry costing a bargain £3.50 via a 19 minute journey to Lime St.

I was in the Crown before my train back too - five cask ales on in there now, mine was reasonable. Good pint in both Doctor Duncans and the Excelsior pre-match. With Everton at home the pubs in town were very busy both before and after the game, quite different to my last trip up a fortnight ago.
Incidentally there's a decent choice of buses from Liverpool which will get you much closer to Prenton Park than the train does. Possibly slightly quicker too.

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Aug 18, 2019, 1:03 AM)

Wiretown.Editor
First Team Regular

Aug 18, 2019, 12:55 AM

Team(s): Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Tn, Warrington Wolves

Post #34 of 84 (4111 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Saturday 17th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Syddenhams Wessex League Division One
Pewsey Vale 0 New Milton Towm 0
Admission £5, kids free, prog 50p
Tea £1, food on sale bar open, coke can £1
Att. 40 appx.

A decent game despite the score. The hosts should have won creating more chances but wasteful finishing and good keeping denying them, as did the crossbar twice.

An enclosed ground that was quite tucked away down the town lanes. Fully railed with hard standing. The clubhouse has an overhang on the front with two rows of seats although it is set back and at a slight angle to the pitch. Ticks the required boxes though. Very pleasant on a sunny afternoon.

Straightforward run home after the game

Chris1963

Aug 18, 2019, 12:57 AM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #35 of 84 (4110 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KevinW] Saturday 17th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

North-West Counties League (Division One North) 3 pm

St Helens Town 6 Cleator Moor Celtic 0 (H/T 1-0)

Entry - £5

Programme - 44 page colour issue for £2 (excellent)

Crowd - given as 91 on NWCL site but looked less

For the third time in the last four Saturdays I ticked a 3G pitch (the other one, Peel Croft, isn't even a proper football ground) and for the third consecutive Saturday I travelled from Euston on the 07.46 train. Unlike the last two Saturdays though, I did not alight at Lichfield TV but continued to Crewe, where I changed trains for Warrington. From Warrington I caught the bus to St Helens in order to save money on the train fare by using my Freedom Pass.

Ruskin Drive is the third ground I have seen St Helens Town play a home game on, the previous two being Hoghton Road (1996-97) and Knowsley Road RL stadium (2008-09) with both games, remarkably enough, ending in 3-4 away wins. The Ruskin Drive ground is a very impressive and spacious complex, with the cricket ground in particular being one of the best club cricket venues I have seen anywhere in the UK. In fact, the football clubhouse and dressing-rooms both face the cricket pitch, in addition to the separate cricket pavilion!

The 3G pitch on which both St Helens Town and Pilkington FC play on has room for standing spectators on three sides and a standard seated kit stand, although slightly longer than most of its type. The pitch had far too much rubber crumb on it though. Next door is a 3G pitch used by the Pilkington Recs rugby league club and although this has no cover for fans, it does have grass banking along one side. There is also a separate rugby union pitch (grass) elsewhere in the complex and another separate large grass area which is easily big enough for a new stadium to be built on it, should any of the resident football or rugby clubs wish to do so. Look inside the clubhouse for a couple of superb mosaics of old black/white photos from Pilkington's football and rugby league clubs. St Helens Town have added their own presence by having information boards about their 1986-87 FA Vase run attached to the fence within the 3G cage.

With St Helens Town being bottom of the table and having lost their first two games (both away) I was not expecting them to win, but win they did and in style too by thrashing their opponents from Cumbria. It could have been 6-1 though because the visitors missed a penalty shortly before half-time, after St Helens had already scored their first.
So I've seen six or seven goals in each of the three home St Helens Town home games I've attended. Will I get a chance to visit any more grounds in the town?

Motorman
Youth Team Regular

Aug 18, 2019, 1:51 AM

Location: Rosemont, Township of Adjala-Tosorontio, ON. Canada
Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, Falkirk, East Stirlingshire, Forge or York 9 (Undecided)

Post #36 of 84 (4014 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Saturday 17th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

York 9 0-2 Pacific
Canadian Premier League
KO 3:30pm EST (8:30 BST)
York Lions Stadium
Attendance 2,748 - Admission $30 seating $15 standing
No programme (seems to be an epidemic in North America)

Finally managed to get to a York 9 match. York 9 are playing at York Lions Stadium on the huge York University campus just north of Toronto. They will be building their own stadium in the near future.
It was a scrappy affair with bottom of the league Pacific (based on Vancouver Island, British Columbia) scoring against the run of play and then defending with a back 10 putting the final nail in the coffin in injury time.
Not the best advertisement for this new league but York's crowds (and until today, form) have been on the rise.

Number of grounds - 177
Last new ground - York Lions Stadium, Ontario
Last game - York 9 0-2 Pacific (Canadian Premier League) Saturday August 17, 2019

mxhornet
First Team Star

Aug 18, 2019, 6:47 AM

Team(s): Watford, Celtic, Ajax, Kings Lynn Town and all local ladies teams.

Post #37 of 84 (3761 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Motorman] Saturday 17th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Aylsham Reserves - 2 Long Stratton Reserves - 4
Anglian Combination Division Three
Youngs Park (pitch two)
Attendance - 12ish
Free admission, no programme

Took the chance to tick pitch two at Youngs Park, both Aylsham sides at home and opting for both playing at 2-30 rather than 1-30 and 4 on the main pitch.
A decent game given the strong wing blowing across the pitch. LS on top from the start and looking most likely to score, but it wasn't until 37 minutes in they opened the scoring, Aylsham drew level 6 minutes later and were fortunate to be all square at half time. LS carried on putting on the pressure and were rewarded with goals after 66 and 73 minutes and looking well in control before Aylsham got a goal back to give them hope 81 minutes in, LS made it 4-2 with 4 minutes remaining.

Watford FC supporter hence the name also follow Hull FC but rarely get to see either these days.

Have now visited over 800 grounds, progress in recent years has been rather slow and will continue to be as things stand.

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Aug 18, 2019, 7:26 AM

Post #38 of 84 (3710 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Windy] Saturday 17th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

....During the summer spent many hours walking along the Suffolk coast, though knowing that a trip to the following was a probability on the early season agenda, the area around what is the UK's biggest container port was avoided....

Felixstowe and Walton United 1 v 4 Great Wakering Rovers - Isthmian League Division 1 North
Prog 32 pages - Online only but printed off at w*rk. Plaudits to the hosts by having it available three days before the match. Admission £9.00 - Att 424

.....Oh dear, various texts with Felixstowe's Finest during the course of the day gave the impression that this was an accident waiting to happen. Many of the players associated with the recent seasons successes have departed to pastures anew and those brought in their place also gave the impression that they would struggle at the next level let alone Isthmian Regional. There was nothing particularly impressive about GWR, a mid table/fringes of play off's team at best, though that view was coloured by a particularly negative visiting official in front who could be best described as concentrating on the negatives.

Hosts did give the early impression that they were quite capable going forward early on and Schaar spooned over from close range after the initially impressive Munoz sent over a good cross from the left. However, it was not long before the home defence was susceptible to quick counter attacks that GWR used. A long run from Furlong ended with a low cross across the face of the goal that invited a touch. Play at this stage was still balanced and another cross from Munoz struck Debenham on the head rather than he made any attempt to direct for Felixstowe and at this stage there was little evidence of the calamity that was to befall.

The catalyst for the change in direction was the opening goal for the visitors with Gordon being afforded too much space on the right and his precise cross was a gift for Diau to touch in from close range. The visitors were also assisted by the man in black choosing only to caution Pinto for a horrible late challenge on Paris that in many official's eyes would have been a straight red. You could tell from the moment that the first goal hit the net that the confidence drained from the hosts and matters were made worse with the conceding of a second goal as Stevenson curled in from distance. Looked initially as an exquisite strike but you had to take into account the positioning of Crump in the home goal who left a massive gap between himself and the near post for Stevenson to exploit.

The second half was predominantly played in the Felixstowe half and Crump's afternoon did not improve as his defence melted in front of him allowing Stevenson to run through from within his own half. Crump was quickly out but just slightly too far and his block with his hands was adjudged to have been outside of the area meaning a straight red. After a long delay deciding who was to don the gloves, the first act of Jopling who was the adopted the custodian's role was to pick the ball out of the net as Stevensons's free kick went wide of the wall and in off the post.

There was a brief respite to the hosts woes with Debenham reducing the deficit with a close range shot after the GWR defence failed to clear, however it was only a matter of minutes before a low cross from the right from Tuohy picked out Jackson for an easy 4th and if the GWR forwards had applied themselves better in the final minutes rather than being wasteful then the margin of victory would have been much more convincing. Mention also of an impressive crowd, who were remarkably stoic in the defeat, it was if they were fully aware of what was to occur. Certain that if defeats of this calibre become the norm at 'The Goldstar' many of their new found supporters will disappear.

First visit to these parts since April 1989 with a very rushed Thursday evening fixture against Sudbury recalling arrival at Felixstowe at 18.00 for a 18.30 kick off and departure a matter of minutes after the final whistle. TBH, could not recall anything about the ground apart that it is in close proximity to the station, obviously plenty of improvements over the last three decades with two seated Atcosts and a busy and modern bar area.

First time around Felixstowe as a town and a paradoxical mixture of traditional English seaside town together with the looming cranes of the hub of commerce and accompanying logistics. Few if any GBG entries in recent years, however located the Felsto Arms on the seafront for pre and post match imbibing, just the one ale worth trying but a slightly harsh Honey concoction from the very local Mr Bee's Brewery was worth the effort, despite the best efforts of the new barmaid to pull a pint through in one effort. Fortunately, mein host was in situ to advise that some subtlety was required when pouring.

The high carbon footprint caused by printing out the prog was more than offset by the normal train travel. Easy journey's from the Essex mudbanks to the Suffolk coast. Indoors just after 21.00....

(This post was edited by timmy tabby on Aug 18, 2019, 8:02 AM)

Sunny Nunny
Youth Team Star

Aug 18, 2019, 7:44 AM

Team(s): Nuneaton Borough

Post #39 of 84 (3663 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mxhornet] Saturday 17th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Southern Premier Central
AFC Rushden & Diamonds 2 Nuneaton Borough 0
Att 574 ( 80 away est )
Adm £11
Parking Free on car park in town centre . Took the clubs advice & parked away from ground . Walked the 15 mins , uphill to the ground . Found plenty of parking spaces available in streets. That was 90 mins before Ko .
f&d £5.20 Diamond burger & coffee . Large range of very good quality football style food available .

Last visited Hayden Road 31 years ago , then the ground of Rushden Town . Plenty of improvments / changes in that time , i would suspect in the last two years . A number of new stands , good quality temperory type and a general smartening up . A few bits remain including the main stand that's currently closed as is getting a overhaul. Found the current R&D to be a friendly club that seems to be thriving .
Our start to the season has been dissapointing , considering the signings we've made . Today we produced our best performance so far against a side who had won both their previous games . Unfortunatly we shot ourselves in the foot through poor discapline . Even if your the better team it's going to be a struggle if you end the game with 9 men . We had to play about 70 mins with 10 . No problem with the ref as sendings off were correct . In the end despite deserving at least a point we succumed to goals in the 89 & 94 minuets .

Nobody's Heroes
Youth Team Regular

Aug 18, 2019, 8:02 AM

Team(s): Sheffield United, CPD Porthmadog, Ross County

Post #40 of 84 (3620 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sunny Nunny] Saturday 17th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

JD Cymru North

CPD Porthmadog 0 Conwy Borough 2

Y Traeth, Porthmadog

Crowd - 238 Admission - £6 Programme - £1.50

A poor start for Port on the opening weekend of the newly branded JD Cymru North league as two first half goals saw Conwy hold on to victory against a home side with a distinct lack of a cutting edge in the final third of the pitch.

Now under the auspices of the FA of Wales and with the Bangor City affair finally resolved (until the next one that is), it is now hoped that the official league website will soon change from its current standing of 'coming soon' to actually presenting more information than just the scorelines only and a fixture list until the end of August only.

Come on FA of Wales.....pull your finger out!!

gcnc

Aug 18, 2019, 8:17 AM

Team(s): Newport County

Post #41 of 84 (3582 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Saturday 17th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Welsh Trophy : Pontnewydd United 4 Aberystwyth Exiles 6. f&n; attendance 30 (hc)

Pontrhydyrun Fields is just a railed off pitch with a modicum of shelter from a couple of mature trees, useful during a brief second-half shower.

The tie pitted last season's Newport & District Premier champions (now in Gwent 3 ....

Not quite! Pontnewydd finished third behind Whiteheads and Riverside Rovers. Nobody was promoted so Whiteheads folded and Pontnewydd are still in the Newport & District League.
Incidentally, Pontrhydyrun Fields has been used for Gwent County matches by Cwmbran Town when Cwmbran Stadium has been unavailable. Rumour has it that Town have considered relocating there, moving the pitch and upgrading the ground to Welsh League standard. Whether that will ever happen though ....

Anyway I was at

League 2
Newport County 1 Plymouth Argyle 0
Admission £20, Programme £3, Attendance 5,041

First visit to Dave Parade this season, and a cracking contest in a great atmosphere, helped by the 1000+ who came up from Plymouth. Deservedly won with a cracking header just eight minutes from time.

(This post was edited by gcnc on Aug 18, 2019, 9:41 AM)

leohoenig
Administrator

Aug 18, 2019, 8:48 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #42 of 84 (3508 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Saturday 17th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

National 3, Group C (Centre Val-de-Loire) at Centre Sportif Guy Drut
Etoile Bleue St. Cyr 1-3 US Chateauneuf
Admission €5, Attendance ~170

An extremely wet day in North Western France, only a small number of matches were off though. It sometimes takes a while to be certain if games missing from the results were called off. Etoile Bleue had advertised the match on facebook during the day as their first game in National 3, after winning the Regional 1 division last season. Twitter barely gets used in France, and while I did check for any facebook update when halfway there, the risks are higher. Also, as I was heading to the only 19.00 kick off, there was certainly no option other than to turn around if the game was off.

The visitors, Chateauneuf only escaped relegation thanks to the fact that no relegated team came into their division.

The advanatges and disadvantages of fixed boundaries on view at this level, one division last season had to relegate five teams, several four, while a few got away with only two down.

Both town names are "sur Loire", but the Loire is a very long river and the visitors had to travel 150 km for the evening game. They still had a fair number of supporters in the crowd.

The venue if within an atheltics track at a typical multi-sports site with several other facilites in the complex. There is a wide concrete path railed off around outside of the track, but there is also a wide grass area between the track and the fence away from the stand side, so it places spectators even further than normal from the pitch.

With persistant rain in the first half, not many made it outside the stand, and those that did were mainly standing in front of the club rooms, even though views from here are severely hampered by the club benches.

There is one stand, a modern creation with a curved roof that offers more style than substance. Occasional flurries from the wind and rain could be felt at the back of the stand, but I managed to stay mainly dry

Kick off was delayed, because the away team captain did not know the password to sign into the team list system, in order to complete the team sheet. After a couple of phone calls and attempts, we were away

The visitors played in 4-4-2 formation, and looked very organised compared to a home team who may have met for the first time during the week. The home defence was torn apart in the opening section of the game, although only one goal was scored, The impressive Aladji knocking the ball past the keeper after only five minutes.

The visitors had also managed to hit the post before St. Cyr managed a semblance of organisation, but then the game turned into an end to end contest with chances at both ends.

Still, Chateauneuf scored again to lead 2-0 at the break, and then added a third early in the second half.

Change came for the home side with the entrance onto the field of David as a substitute. His first foray up the left wing led to him being brought down only for Benoit to have his penalty kick saved.

The next attack was different, with David winning a corner and then swinging it over, with the ball poorly cleared and St Cyr pulling a goal back

This led to an entertaining final half hour, albeit it without further score as St. Cyr put everything into trying to claw back the deficit while Chateauneuf had many chances on the breaks.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

prorege

Aug 18, 2019, 9:48 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #43 of 84 (3359 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LLD] Saturday 17th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As noted by LLD I was at the Lothian Thistle HV v Wigtown & Bladnoch Scottish Cup tie at Broxburn. I saw the LTHV Secretary tallying up the money at half time and asked him how many people had paid in – 29 was the answer.

Wigtown were really poor. I don’t think they had a single corner and recall only one very weak effort on goal. The second half had the feel of a low-key pre-season game.

With this game being a 4pm KO I had taken in the first half of:

East Juniors Premier League South (2.30 KO)
Stoneyburn v Lochgelly Albert, 9-1, H.T. 3-1, Att c.50, Admission £5, programme £1
At Beechwood Park, Stoneyburn

Leeds Phil will hopefully furnish a fuller report of this having witnessed the full 90 minutes. By half time it was clear that Stoneyburn were going to win in a canter. They were 3-1 up and an awful Albert side were down to ten men. Stoneyburn had put eight past Syngenta in midweek’ Syngenta hammered Lochgelly ten days ago. Albert boss Andy Healy looked liked a troubled man as the game progressed.

Stoneyburn’s programme is pretty decent. It’s done by the Dad of one of the players – whether it will survive when he leaves is doubtful. Although today’s issue was a double issue covering last Wednesday’s game, LLD had confirmed that there were none actually printed for Wednesday.

I like Beechwood Park but it is looking a bit ragged these days. Again, according to LLD the problem is that West Lothian Council no longer cut the grass on the bankings around the ground which have become seriously overgrown.

Rebel Yeller
Reserve Team Sub

Aug 18, 2019, 11:11 AM

Team(s): Hopper

Post #44 of 84 (3124 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Saturday 17th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Surrey Elite Intermediate League (Step 7)

Lyne 1 Royal Holloway Old Boys 1

Entry - free. Programme - no. Attendance - h/c 20. Weather - dry, bright and breezy.

Lyne are newly promoted to this league this season and will be sharing with Ascot United in their new 3G pitch when it is finished. Until that happens, Lyne are continuing at their main base, Jubilee High School in Addlestone. It's a large playing field nestling next to the M25, but shielded from the din by high hedging. Lyne play in all orange and to continue the theme the barriers around the pitch are also a bright orange. The future's bright...

As for the match Lyne set off at a pace and scored on 3, after the RHOB keeper needlessly clattered over their forward. No. 8 dispatched the kick. Lyne were in the ascendancy for all of the first half but their shooting was woeful and wasteful. They should have had 2 or 3 more but instead RHOB equalised on 45+2, when a cross just wasn't cleared, no.10 headed home from close range.

RHOB were more prominent in the second half, but Lyne were still better. But that terrible shooting continued and they came closest when a shot low down and near the post from no.9 was very well saved by the RHOB keeper.. The 1-1 draw looked nailed on from quite a way out here and so it proved.

RHOB finished mid table last season and on this display both sides here look like they will end in in a similar position. Lyne's shooting will have to improve though.

A new ground and a new team but not a match to live long in the memory.

MortyVicker
Youth Team Sub

Aug 18, 2019, 12:03 PM

Team(s): Gillingham

Post #45 of 84 (2953 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rebel Yeller] Saturday 17th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Combined Counties Premier
Hanworth Villa 1 Camberley Town 2
Admission £7, Programme £1.50
Attendance : About 60

Had to stay very local so it was a ten minute drive down the road to my closest club. The ground has been steadily spruced up over the last couple of years and is now fully enclosed and boasts two stands and a little covered metal terrace.

Hanworth were rather disjointed and their keeper was the man of the match, aside from one horrendous error near the end tt which should have gifted a goal only to see the visiting forward spoon the ball over the bar.

Camberley edged it in the end, a pleasant enough afternoon in the sunshine....

Cowden Andy
Reserve Team Regular

Aug 18, 2019, 12:50 PM

Team(s): Cowdenbeath FC

Post #46 of 84 (2811 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Saturday 17th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hibernian 5-3 Greenock Morton. Betfred Cup 2nd Rd,Admission £18, Programme £3, Att 5567,

For various reasons I was unable to go to our match at Cove and ended up at Easter Rd.

There were a few options on a very busy capital and area but I hadn't been to the best SPFL ground there for a while so Easter Rd it was.

I normally go in the west stand but opted for the east for a change one big stand without any tiers I was halfway up but its a steep climb.

Hibs done their usual thing of doing it the hard was 2 up they allowed Morton to go in level at the break.

Re took the leas early in the 2nd half but once again allowed Morton to scoring in the closing minutes however they managed to get the job done in extra time.

Programme was decent but the perfect bound issue has gone to be replaced by the all so familiar design of many a Curtis issue.

(This post was edited by Cowden Andy on Aug 18, 2019, 12:55 PM)

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 18, 2019, 1:08 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #47 of 84 (2742 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MortyVicker] Saturday 17th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

11am
EFL Youth Alliance, North West
Salford City U18 3 Preston North End U18 2 (att 96 h/c)
Free admission, no progs

On call for work this weekend so didn't want to risk a lengthy trip. I was curious to see whether Salford's pitch at Partington Sports Village would overlap the one I saw a pre-season friendly on in 2015, and the surprising and welcome discovery was that it didn't.

Back then the pitch ran east-west, but now there are two adjacent pitches which run north-south. Salford's pitch was the furthest west, and so with no overlap it counts as a new ground by my rules.

The adjacent pitch (which does partly overlap the one I ticked in 2015) was roped off along one touchline and behind one goal. I'd assumed it would stage Partington Village's Cheshire League game, but Bantam Cymraeg's WDYG post and match photos on Partington's Twitter both confirm that game was on the same pitch as my game.

The game was good. Salford took a first half lead against the run of play, but conceded an equaliser when a Preston penalty came back off a post and the rebound was scored. Two Salford goals in the first five minutes of the second half proved decisive, although Preston got a goal back and were unlucky not to get a draw.

A blog post at https://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.com/...n-north-end-u18.html

2.30pm
Staffordshire County Senior League, Premier Division
Eastwood Hanley 3 Stone Dominoes 0 (att 24 h/c)
£3 admission incl programme

This was an even and tight game until Eastwood Hanley broke the deadlock about halfway through the second period. Having gone a goal down Stone collapsed, conceding twice more and allowing the home side to run out comfortable winners.

The story of the revival of the Eastwood Hanley name, and the club's efforts to return to the Trentmill Road ground of the original club, are well known. For now they're playing on a 3G pitch adjacent to Northwood Stadium. It's a typical 3G, but not a bad one. A spectator area runs the length of one side, and the overhead wires, used to divide the pitch for small-sided games, are taken down, thus avoiding one of the common annoyances of these venues.

More at https://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.com/...-stone-dominoes.html

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

Richard Rundle

Aug 18, 2019, 1:13 PM

Post #48 of 84 (2721 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MortyVicker] Saturday 17th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

St Piran League, East Division

Morwenstow 2-10 St Mawgan. No admission/programme, coffee (reasonable) £1.

I was originally going to start this post thus "It's hard to imagine any team having a better start to their first ever Step 7 campaign..." but then I saw that Saltash United reserves had won 10-0 at Lanreath in the very same division!

The St Piran league had a difficult birth, with the original plan to have one single division being changed very late on when the CCFA found out what everyone else knew all along, there wouldn't be 16 takers for it. There were, however takers for two regional divisions and despite St Just already having withdrawn from the West Division, two interesting divisions they look too.

Morwenstow were one level higher than their visitors last season (East Cornwall Division One against Duchy Premier) both teams finishing runners-up.

The action started very quickly, a quick break on the left from Morwenstow saw a coming together with the visiting keeper, despite him making as clean an interception as you'd see anywhere, the ref saw otherwise and booked the keeper within 45 seconds. Thankfully that was the only yellow card of the afternoon and we could concentrate on the goals.

Morwenstow went into the lead on 15', but quickly cancelled that out themselves when a sliced clearance from a central defender under pressure went in for an og. Half an hour gone and they took the lead again, with the visitors playing a very high line they got around the back quite easily and worked out a second goal fairly easily.

St Mawgan began to dominate possession, playing up the slope, but were fairly ineffective in front of goal until just before the break when they scored an equaliser with a curling free-kick for a half-time scoreline of 2-2.

What happened after the break was quite remarkable. Now playing downhill, St Mawgan continued to have most of the ball, but now, almost every time they broke through they scored. Craig Allen scored loads for them in the Duchy and after 45 minutes to find the level, he started to do likewise here, claiming no less than 5 of the 8 goals St Mawgan scored in the second half. Long before the end, the Morwenstow heads dropped but there was never any arguing either amongst themselves or with the officials.

It was my third (I think) visit to Morwenstow who as many of you probably know don't play in Morwenstow (to be fair St Mawgan don't play in St Mawgan either!). It is in the hamlet of Shop, a few miles off the A39 and is easily found at the far end of the settlement with a large community centre building and a large green sign at the roadside.

There is an area of covered standing on the far side which would suit about 30 people, with the changing rooms on the entrance side, with also the club room from where teas and coffees could be purchased. If you want hot food, the local community shop is directly across the road and is open until 7pm on Saturdays with pies, pasties and sausage rolls stocked.

The other good viewing point is a large grass bank at one end where you can overlook the pitch.

I'm sure St Mawgan will do well in this division, even if this type of scoreline will be an aberration, while Morwenstow will have to significantly tighten up their defence if they want to be competitive at Step 7.

CleethorpesOggy
Youth Team Regular

Aug 18, 2019, 1:59 PM

Team(s): Cleethorpes Town FC; Arnold Town FC; Nottingham Forest FC

Post #49 of 84 (2595 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Saturday 17th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

BetVictor Northern Premier League South-East Division
Ilkeston Town 0 Cleethorpes Town 0
Att: 602 (50 away) Adm: comp (usually £7) Prog: comp (usually £2) Name card: £1

A second successive 0-0 for the Owls, following on from last week's shut-out in the friendly at Gainsborough Trinity. However, it was Clee's first competitive goalless fixture since the visit to Leek Town in September 2017 - a full 97 games ago! Also moves me back to zero after a lengthy scoring run!!

It was generally agreed that it was a fair outcome. The respective keepers, namely Ross Durrant and Theo Richardson, were in inspired form. Clee had the better of a cagey first 45. It was better after the break, with both sides having a couple of clear chances. All snuffed out by the excellent glovework though - especially Theo swooping low to save the Owls in the final minute.

Good crowd, with a fine away following, and I really enjoyed my visit. All the officials were super-friendly and the hospitality first class. Real ale in the bar, a couple of happy hours and fish & chips in the hospitality lounge at the interval - great stuff!

Very early days and, although if felt a little bit of an anti-climax for a much hyped Clee, I suspect that this may prove to be a useful point. I don't believe that many sides will win at the New Manor Ground.

Easy journey both ways on a virtually full coach and back at Linden bang on 8 o'clock. County rivals Lincoln United on Tuesday evening and hopefully a win!

2019/20 season: 10 competitive games
(7 NPL SE, 2 FA Cup, 1 FA Youth Cup)

Total goals: 42 (4.2 per game)
Most: 9 (Cleethorpes Town 5 Loughborough Dynamo 4 - 31/8/19)

Last 0-0: Ilkeston Town v Cleethorpes Town (Northern Premier League SE - 17/8/19)
(Current run: 9)

New grounds: 3 (Latest: Sutton Coldfield Town)

(This post was edited by CleethorpesOggy on Aug 18, 2019, 2:00 PM)

chesterbird
Youth Team Regular

Aug 18, 2019, 2:55 PM

Team(s): Chester City, Liverpool FC,

Post #50 of 84 (2409 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] Saturday 17th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

NWCFL
CHARNOCK RICHARD 0 1874 NORTHWICH 5
KO 1500 ADMN £5 PROG £2 GATE 216 & 2 DOGS

HERE WITH NIGEL, JIM AND LINDA.

FIRST VISIT FOR US TO THE NEW MOSSIE PARK GROUND. CROWD MAINLY MADE UP OF AWAY FANS.

FIRST HALF STARTED OFF OK WITH BOTH SIDES LOOKING CAPABLE OF BREAKING THE DEADLOCK.

SECOND HALF WAS A DIFFERENT MATTER ENTIRELY - 1874 TOOK THE LEAD STRAIGHT AFTER HALF TIME AND NEVER LOOKED BACK. THEY COULD HAVE HAD MORE GOALS BUT FOR GOOD GOALKEEPING AND POOR FINISHING. IN THE END AN ABSOLUTE ROUT.

A GOOD AFTERNOON ENJOYED BY ALL.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3