Home: Non-League Football Discussion: General Discussion:
Boreham Wood chairman throws his teddy out of the pram

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

bigjmc
Youth Team Sub

Aug 24, 2019, 8:35 AM

Post #51 of 61 (2924 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Boreham Wood chairman throws his teddy out of the pram [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Been to Boreham 3 or 4 times and each time the atmosphere has been very flat and despite the Chairman's good intentions maybe they have reached the optimum in terms of crowd numbers?

TonyD
Reserve Team Regular

Aug 24, 2019, 12:04 PM

Team(s): Sutton United, Crystal Palace

Post #52 of 61 (2799 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Boreham Wood chairman throws his teddy out of the pram [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It is qute a mystery. They are midway between Watford and Barnet, but I can't imagine that makes a big difference to gates. Borehamwood itself only has a population of c. 32,000, so I suppose they are getting more than 1%. But I wonder if the real problem is that they are a comparatively new club (post WW2) and their real successes have come in the late 90s and the 2000s. Perhaps they just haven't acquired a following yet? Whether the chairman's pockets and patience will run out before they do, is another matter.

jefferson
Junior Team Regular

Aug 25, 2019, 8:19 AM

Post #53 of 61 (2545 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TonyD] Boreham Wood chairman throws his teddy out of the pram [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
It is qute a mystery. They are midway between Watford and Barnet, but I can't imagine that makes a big difference to gates. Borehamwood itself only has a population of c. 32,000, so I suppose they are getting more than 1%. But I wonder if the real problem is that they are a comparatively new club (post WW2) and their real successes have come in the late 90s and the 2000s. Perhaps they just haven't acquired a following yet? Whether the chairman's pockets and patience will run out before they do, is another matter.

Dorking Wanderers were only founded 20 years ago playing essentially park football. They get bigger crowds from Boreham. Haringey Borough similar.

They're clearly going wrong somewhere. Less than 400 home fans at step 1 (a club who were a game from the EFL 2 years ago and at least took more to Wembley than Salford City) is laughable as the chairman says. I know it's an easy day trip to Wembley from there, but they clearly not attracting those fans down to watch them at home.

It's only a club like Leigh Genesis who've had crowds consistently as bad as this (an out and out rugby town) or clubs rooted to the bottom of the league and haemorraging fans that way often with off field problems.

Not too far down the road and a post-war new club like Stevenage have achieved a lot. They'd be the template for a club like Boreham.

(This post was edited by jefferson on Aug 25, 2019, 8:26 AM)

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

Aug 25, 2019, 10:33 AM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #54 of 61 (2427 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TonyD] Boreham Wood chairman throws his teddy out of the pram [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

I imagine they could lose a reasonable amount of folk to Watford...Barnet I am not so sure about. I would also suggest that they lose other locals to Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs too...
I have not been to a game at Meadow Park for 25 years or so...but I know others who have and all describe it as an unwelcoming venue as far as home fans go...
When I went it was okay but we are going back a long time...

MiddxSaint
Youth Team Star

Aug 25, 2019, 10:46 AM

Team(s): St Albans City

Post #55 of 61 (2415 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] Boreham Wood chairman throws his teddy out of the pram [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I imagine they could lose a reasonable amount of folk to Watford...Barnet I am not so sure about. I would also suggest that they lose other locals to Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs too...
I have not been to a game at Meadow Park for 25 years or so...but I know others who have and all describe it as an unwelcoming venue as far as home fans go...
When I went it was okay but we are going back a long time...

Anyone living north of Borehamwood would probably go elsewhere - Aldenham to Watford, Radlett & Shenley to St Albans City. Potters Bar have their own club. To the south there is Hendon and Wealdstone.

007Dale
First Team Star

Aug 26, 2019, 10:56 PM

Post #56 of 61 (2029 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MiddxSaint] Boreham Wood chairman throws his teddy out of the pram [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A defeat at home to bottom side Ebbsfleet is unlikely to improve the Chairmanís mood.

Neither is the 533 attendance.

ladderman
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 28, 2019, 11:58 AM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #57 of 61 (1618 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sentinel] Boreham Wood chairman throws his teddy out of the pram [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It's† not a shock Hunter's big gamble hasn't come off. BW's crowds have always been poor. We played 20 or so home games there at the start of his tenure and despite being a club that looked to be sliding out of existence, we had much better crowds than them.
While they've climbed the leagues steadily during Hunter's time, they've been mid table most of the time. Aside from 2 years ago their successes have been followed by consolidation. There's nothing wrong with that, but maybe 3 or 4 years challenging for promotion may have built a solid core. The fact there is invariably trouble when they have a big game - and Hunter doesn't appear to care - hasn't helped. Match day prices, an apparently antagonistic approach to away fans and people who want to hand over cash on the day aren't helping his cause. He can't help that Borehamwood isn't a great drinking town, but he could make his club a† bit more appealing to visit. It may be illogical that Sutton and Bromley fans I know skip an easy trip to BW but will get up at silly o'clock to travel to a northern shanty town,† but that's now the case. And clearly Hunter needs their money.
While he's not a particularly likeable bloke buy I do feel a bit sorry for him. He hasn't gone shit or bust on the team, he's built a proper club, forged links with a college that are the envy of L1 clubs and sorted out the ground. His dismissal of how arsenal have helped is a bit naughty, £100k p/a is a lot , even if it's not all profit ,and† they've had a lot of very nice friendlies out of it.
But he's clearly fighting a lost cause. The town doesn't care about its football club. He built it, they didn't come.

(This post was edited by ladderman on Aug 28, 2019, 3:40 PM)

BDA_85
First Team Regular

Aug 28, 2019, 1:11 PM

Post #58 of 61 (1546 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Boreham Wood chairman throws his teddy out of the pram [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
A defeat at home to bottom side Ebbsfleet is unlikely to improve the Chairmanís mood.

Having seen this thread and never been to Meadow Park I decided to attend this match with my son. Admission for both of us was £26 (e-tickets).

I mentioned this thread to the guy in the club shop. They sold adult season tickets in the summer for £99 in an attempt to attract more fans to Meadow Park. I told him this was counter-intuitive as those that bought the £99 ST's will have already been to several matches before and would have most likely bought the season tickets even if they were £200 (just a ballpark figure). The issue they have now is that visiting supporters can not be charged anymore than home fans, so whilst away fans are likely to be prepared to pay £20 for admission, that isn't going to increase their home following. The reason they won't slash admission prices is because it will reduce away ticket revenue without a certainty of increasing the crowds. I told him that you need to reduce tickets for a prolonged period to attract return custom, not for one game in the hope that hundreds more turn up as they see ticket prices reduce, then the second half kicked off.

With regards to the stadium and its facilities, the bar at the ground was nice but it was too posh for me! I prefer northern shanty town pubs. If you've been you'll understand what I mean.
Parking in Brook Road was free as it was a Bank Holiday but there was a queue to get out afterwards.
I appreciate the early sending off didn't help the home side but there was very little atmosphere, much of the noise coming from the away fans (and their drum)!
Sat behind the dugouts as I always try to do and the view was decent. There was segregation in place for this match on police advice, but I am led to believe this is always the case at Meadow Park.
Having lived in Watford for 20+ years and never visited MP before, I don't feel like I've missed much. Will probably be another 20 years before I return here as there wasn't anything outstanding that would want me to return.

jefferson
Junior Team Regular

Sep 1, 2019, 12:45 PM

Post #59 of 61 (985 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BDA_85] Boreham Wood chairman throws his teddy out of the pram [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Having seen this thread and never been to Meadow Park I decided to attend this match with my son. Admission for both of us was £26 (e-tickets).

I mentioned this thread to the guy in the club shop. They sold adult season tickets in the summer for £99 in an attempt to attract more fans to Meadow Park. I told him this was counter-intuitive as those that bought the £99 ST's will have already been to several matches before and would have most likely bought the season tickets even if they were £200 (just a ballpark figure). The issue they have now is that visiting supporters can not be charged anymore than home fans, so whilst away fans are likely to be prepared to pay £20 for admission, that isn't going to increase their home following. The reason they won't slash admission prices is because it will reduce away ticket revenue without a certainty of increasing the crowds. I told him that you need to reduce tickets for a prolonged period to attract return custom, not for one game in the hope that hundreds more turn up as they see ticket prices reduce, then the second half kicked off.

With regards to the stadium and its facilities, the bar at the ground was nice but it was too posh for me! I prefer northern shanty town pubs. If you've been you'll understand what I mean.
Parking in Brook Road was free as it was a Bank Holiday but there was a queue to get out afterwards.
I appreciate the early sending off didn't help the home side but there was very little atmosphere, much of the noise coming from the away fans (and their drum)!
Sat behind the dugouts as I always try to do and the view was decent. There was segregation in place for this match on police advice, but I am led to believe this is always the case at Meadow Park.
Having lived in Watford for 20+ years and never visited MP before, I don't feel like I've missed much. Will probably be another 20 years before I return here as there wasn't anything outstanding that would want me to return.

He's done well to build the faciltiies up, but with the crowds they're getting they've clearly gone about it the wrong way to attract fans through the gate.

The demographics aren't ideal and thousands through the gate unrealistic but 300 home fans at step 1 should only ever happen in exceptional circumstances like a mass boycott, or a club adrift at the bottom of the league with off field problems. Or maybe a literal village club that's rose through the leagues (Brackley maybe if they came up). Borehamwood is a reasonable sized town in relation to other towns that get more through the gate at a lower level with poorer facilities.

It's not like the ground is out on a limb, it's fairly central. They need to become the hub of the community like a Dulwich, Sutton or Bromley have.

If it was as simple as just building facilities and the crowds will follow, then Darlington would be in the Premier League at a packed out Reynolds Arena.

(This post was edited by jefferson on Sep 1, 2019, 12:59 PM)

bakis
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 1, 2019, 1:44 PM

Team(s): Kidderminster Harriers

Post #60 of 61 (939 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jefferson] Boreham Wood chairman throws his teddy out of the pram [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Surely Brackley is a town, albeit a small one, regards itself as such and has the facilities to be expected?

shimtoan
First Team Regular

Sep 2, 2019, 4:35 PM

Team(s): Dunkirk

Post #61 of 61 (425 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bakis] Boreham Wood chairman throws his teddy out of the pram [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Surely Brackley is a town, albeit a small one, regards itself as such and has the facilities to be expected?

Brackley is officially a town. It was incorporated in 1597, having held a (non-chartered) market as a parish since pre-Magna Carta.

I'm pretty sure we had a town/village discussion on another thread a few months back

unless stated, all views are my own and are not the views of any other person, club, or organisation

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3