Post #1 of 8 (1568 views)
Shortcut
Thursday 19th September 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

PSV Eindhoven 3-2 Sporting Club de Portugal
Europa League Group Stage
Attendance: Not sure yet, mostly full though
Admission: EUR 27 or 42 or 72, take your pick
Prog: Didn't see any

A superb day which justified the 0130 home departure. Sporting controlled the opening stages but found themselves 2-0 down to PSV's only two attacks. The visitors noticeably slumped when going 3-1 down just after half-time but they pulled themselves around and later cut out some very good chances - all missed - until netting with a stunning turn on the edge of the area with 10 minutes remaining. It made for a nervy ending, with the whole stadium rocking by this point.

I thought Philips Stadion was a cracking venue, the best type of ground really - a traditional city centre venue that's been updated in a piecemeal fashion and with most stands close to the pitch. It avoids the bland appearance and set-back stands that detract from most new builds although, unusually for a big club, the roof above the upper tiers at both ends have support columns rather than the more usual cantilever structures. It looked like the lower tier of the home end also featured safe standing terraces. I had a great view from the lower tier in the opposite corner, directly underneath the noisy, and netted, Portuguese fans.

As the ground is on the edge of the city centre it's probably within walking distance of much of Eindhoven - I was staying out near FC Eindhoven’s ground and it still took no more than 30 minutes to get back.

This was not the easiest of games for which to get tickets though. PSV didn’t respond to my initial email and it seemed to take ages before tickets were made available to anyone online, by which point I'd pretty much assumed I'd missed some kind of announcement and was making alternative plans. I then registered and followed the purchasing process most of the way through until a message appeared on their ticketing website telling me I was entitled to zero tickets! It seems that you either need to be a season ticket holder or have a club card, with the latter clearly intended for people living in their favoured NEBEDE zone. If you’re an outsider, you can request a Silver or Gold VIP package, wait a few days to find out if your application is successful, then follow the online payment link they email you (credit cards accepted) and collect from the ticket office before the game. Once this process got underway I found the PSV staff very helpful but, as we were now only 2 days before the game, my preferred Airbnb options were no longer available.

Anyway, my ticket price was a nominal EUR 27 but the Silver VIP Package cost EUR 72. It included EUR 10 for food & drink kiosks and EUR 20 for the club shop, neither of which was really a problem as I potentially would have spent that anyway. The remaining EUR 15 was a processing fee, which is far from ideal. Once inside the ground I was informed that I'd be refunded any remaining balance on my food card, as well as the EUR 2 deposit contained within the initial EUR 10.

The city of Eindhoven itself is probably not going to win any architectural awards, but I found the people to be extremely friendly and at street level there was an eclectic mix of shops, cafes & bars, with a lively buzz that grew as more people arrived for the football. Untappd, which I must admit I'm finding much more useful than the GBG these days, came up trumps with Van Moll, an excellent craft brewery tap room selling two dozen of their own & guest beers, with a few samplers going down well with a pretzel.

KnowYourMarket
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 20, 2019, 7:01 AM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #2 of 8 (1379 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mark] Thursday 19th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Lower Breck 4-3 Ashton Town

North West Counties League Division 1 North, admission £4, coffee £1.70, Snickers 95p, att: 185

I left home far too early for this, the problematic traffic on the M6 had disappeared around Warrington by the time I got to the area and I had forgotten it was an 8pm kick off! There is plenty of parking available even though it's a busy sporting hub.

Through the main facility entrance and you pay your admission at reception and given a ticket. Through to the cafe and then beyond having your ticket checked when you go pitch side. The venue is tripe and no amount of vinegar would make it palatable. An all weather pitch in a cage with only access to 2 sides and there is a small amount of poorly positioned cover on 1 side.

The venue was poor but the game was a cracker which matched up the top 2 in the division. Ashton Town led by 2 early on but what I thought was some poor goalkeeping allowed the home side back into it. It was 3-2 at ht. 2nd half was played at a good pace and Lower Breck were comfortable even after Ashton's late goal.

Home for 1115pm even though for 6 miles we were reduced to 20mph on the M6 due to an "oncoming venicle". Maybe there was someone driving a Scalextric car the wrong way because nothing was seen.

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Sep 20, 2019, 7:37 AM

Post #3 of 8 (1333 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Thursday 19th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Presteigne St Andrews 0 Churchstoke 6

Llanandras Park: MMP with Norman Lloyd Mid Wales League Second Division

This was my second visit of the campaign to Llanandras Park but only the first time that I had watched the first team in competitive action this term. My previous visit had been to see the reserve team in Mid Wales League (South) action towards the end of August when they defeated visiting Felindre 5-2. There have been no significant changes to the ground this season apart from the installation of plastic seats to replace the benches in the stand to help meet the FAW’s criteria for the new tier three leagues being introduced from the start of next season. Presteigne St Andrews had undergone a change of management this term, with Terry Williams taking over at the helm, after previous incumbent Shaun Harris resigned before the end of last season. The East Radnor club found themselves in the lower reaches of the MMP with Norman Lloyd Mid Wales League Second Division table and their only victory thus far came in a 3-0 derby victory against Knighton Town towards the end of August. The Llanandras Park men came into this evening’s match on the back of a 12-0 home FAW Trophy defeat at the hands of higher-graded Caersws. Churchstoke took the decision to apply for voluntary relegation after a season of struggle in the First Division last term. The Camlad Park club found themselves one place above Presteigne St Andrews in the table, with a marginally better goal difference, and had suffered a 5-0 FAW Trophy reverse at the hands of local rivals Berriew last Saturday.

The visitors took a second minute lead when a corner was not cleared by the Presteigne St Andrews defence and the ball was played back into the danger area and forced into the net. The hosts responded four minutes later with a shot across the face of the Churchstoke goal before the Presteigne St Andrews goalkeeper made a smart close range save in the 11th minute. Churchstoke doubled their lead five minutes later and breaking quickly down the left flank and a cross into the penalty area eventually crossed the line via a home defender. Presteigne St Andrews fired over from the edge of the penalty area in the 22nd minute before seeing a low 25 yard free-kick pulled narrowly wide of the target six minutes later. Churchstoke increased their lead four minutes before half-time when a low cross was converted at the far post and then scored again the opening minute of the second-half when a visiting forward ran through on goal and calmly guided the ball past the home custodian to make it 4-0 and virtually secure the points with still half of the game to play. The Presteigne St Andrews goalkeeper was forced to turn a 25 yard free-kick over his crossbar in the 51st minute before the visitors scored yet again six minutes later after a corner was not dealt with properly by the home defence and a cross back into the danger area was forced home. The Montgomeryshire men were reduced to ten men in the 82nd minute when a Churchstoke player committed a poor tackle before the East Radnor men should have scored a consolation 10 minutes later from a corner but failed after a number of attempts on goal. The visitors still had time to add another goal by breaking down the right flank and seeing a low cross swept past the Presteigne St Andrews goalkeeper.

2019/20 Statistics
Goals: 300
Matches: 58
New Grounds: 13

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Sep 20, 2019, 7:58 AM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #4 of 8 (1298 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] Thursday 19th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

NCAA 1 @ UCR Soccer Field. KO 19:00. $5 Senior Admission. Free 4 page programme. Crowd 120 ish.

UC Riverside 0 v 0 Loyola Marymount (AET)

The university soccer field is 4G with no other markings on the pitch. Bleachers stand as usual on one side. Refreshments were available. It was also $7 to park in their car park. Had time for a prematch meal and pint in the uni cafe across the road.

The game itself wasn't bad, with both sides creating chances but lacking that killer touch in front of goal. The visitors did have the ball in the net in the first half but it was ruled out for a foul on the keeper. Both keepers played well.

On to the pointless extra time, played because they don't want a draw, so when there are no goals they decide a draw is OK rather than go to penalties. Farcical and one referees asst. said.

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 20, 2019, 9:02 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #5 of 8 (1207 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Thursday 19th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

On to the pointless extra time, played because they don't want a draw, so when there are no goals they decide a draw is OK rather than go to penalties. Farcical and one referees asst. said.

=================================================

Was that Mr McCree or Mr Matson ?

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

hemelhopper
First Team Star

Sep 20, 2019, 10:36 PM

Team(s): Hemel Hempstead Town FC, Trust Portsmouth FC and The Reds of Cincinnati

Post #6 of 8 (664 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Thursday 19th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wokingham & Emmbrook U18’s 2-2 Hemel Hempstead Town U18s (FA Youth Cup, 1st Qualifying Round)
.. after ET, Hemel won 4-2 on pens (2-2 at FT 90’)

- played at Lowther Road, Wokingham from 7.30pm

Att – 55 (official); Entry - £6 (!!); Prog – None; Food and drink at the bar
Weather – another lovely one; Travel – A3, cut across to Farnborough and up the A321
Colours – Sumas in orange tops and black shorts .. Tudors in all red

Nice to see Lowther Road all lit up with the new lights and a new main stand .. its been a couple of years since last visiting and always good to see how things are developing for this well-supported Club .. the youngsters out tonight, putting on a solid performance and unlucky not to see this one out .. after scoring on 23 mins, with a shot into bottom left and then the second from a rifled header off left sided free kick around the hour mark.

The visitors had chosen to adopt a non passing type of game, which nullified anything I’d been seeing of them, over the last couple of weeks .. but somehow they managed to score at the end of both halves .. the first on 43 from a defensive lapse, as left foot shot curled ball inside the left post .. and then deep into added on time of second half, when a shot somehow found the back of the net from ten yards .. which thus took us into extras .. and after an even additional thirty minutes .. along came the pens and a couple of decent saves were made by the Tudors keeper .. allowing continued interest in the competition for all those interested. We now await the next round draw, thanked our hosts for an enjoyable evening’s hospitality as we left .. and somehow got home fifteen minutes before midnight .. given the road blockages and various changes of direction

Enjoyable night out, if just a tad lucky .. Tongue

Grounds = 615, Leagues done = 15 (37 to go); Games (19/20) = 73; New Grounds (19/20) = 59; Goals (19/20) = 324; Ave goals/game = 4.44; Last new ground = Coleshill Town; Next = Tues 15th Oct 2019

LeedsPhil
First Team Star

Sep 24, 2019, 1:16 AM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #7 of 8 (321 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hemelhopper] Thursday 19th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Basel 5-0 Krasnador
Europa League

20+ years ago when I was here it was wooden benching etc. Nowadays a swanky rebuild with integrated shopping centre, it is changed beyond belief so justifies a (re)visit - I'm not in the overlap police.
Forget any thoughts of the Swiss being sedate, the home end ultras kept up an impressive display as they steam-rollered a very poor performance by the Russian table-toppers. Flares much in evidence - after all, you never know when you're going to be lost at sea in Switzerland.

Match prog + a lovely glossy A4 brochure available to pick-up for free outside the FanShop - just about the only thing in this country that isn't extortionate.

Poor digs with not enough room to swing a cat yet silly money. Forget eating at these Swiss prices - good job we sneaked some sandwiches out of breakfast in the German hotel.

No problem parting with our CHuFfs for local beer in a Basel fans' bar until late into the night though...

(This post was edited by LeedsPhil on Sep 24, 2019, 1:21 AM)

sheffgeoff
First Team Star

Sep 25, 2019, 8:40 PM

Team(s): Colchester United, Stocksbridge Park Steels, Borussia Dortmund & Essex CC

Post #8 of 8 (179 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LeedsPhil] Thursday 19th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FA Youth Cup 1st Qualifying Round

Coach & Horses Ground, Dronfield

Sheffield FC U18s 4(2) Stocksbridge Park Steels 2(0)

Red Shirts / Black Shorts Yellow Shirts / Blue Shorts

Attendance 98

Admission £4 Team Sheet Free

Coffee £1

Club desevedly progressed to the next round although Steels made them work hard for the win. Club went ahead in the 5th minute when Alex Wonham fired after Steels failed to clear a corner. In the 27th minute a Sam Penney free kick into the box sailed over everyone including Steels keeper Kian Sheedy to double their lead. After the break the Steels fought hard to get back into the game through Jacob Gibbon's penalty in the 63rd minute and a Josh Shaw turn and shot following a quickly taken free kick in the 67th minute. As often happens, Steels having got back into the game, then switched off and Jack Hackford put Club back in front with a shot from the edge of the box. In the 85th minute Max Rhodes put away a rebound to make the final score four-two.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3