INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
Day out watching cricket

Hoppy
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 1, 2008, 12:33 PM

Team(s): Man City,Oldham Ath, Runcorn, South liverpool now non league traveller.

Post #1 of 5 (4401 views)
Shortcut
Day out watching cricket Can't Post or Reply Privately

I follow non league football in general and have watched speedway fairly regular, the occasional rugby league game but as a teenager watched league cricket in the Manchester area but since moving to Merseyside in the early 70s I have not seen much cricket although went to one of my local clubs yesterday for a" derby" Sefton Park v Wavertree and there was eventually about a hundred in attendance, they issued a programme/scoresheet 50p and in the clubhouse you could get meals, snacks, teas, drinks (light and heavy), you could sit on benches with backrests in and outside of the pavilion and there was a grassy banking outside the pitch where families were having" picknics", I enjoyed a few hours in the sunshine!

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Jun 4, 2008, 3:38 PM

Post #2 of 5 (4333 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hoppy] Day out watching cricket [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You should try the Bradford League. Programmes, good quality cricket and superb tea-bars. Very highly recommended.

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 4, 2008, 11:34 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #3 of 5 (4295 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hoppy] Day out watching cricket [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

One a very infrequent visit to the town of my birth, at the weekend I watched Darwen v Blackpool in the Northern Premier Cricket League. A few hours well spent.

Admission (including programme) £3.50 (Women, pensioners and children £2.00).

(This post was edited by PaulC on Jun 4, 2008, 11:36 PM)

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 20, 2008, 5:55 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #4 of 5 (4191 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Day out watching cricket [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Interesting to read that you can get programmes at club matches in the north, can't imagine that happening down south! (not that I've ever actually attended one.)

Hoppy
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 20, 2008, 8:09 PM

Team(s): Man City,Oldham Ath, Runcorn, South liverpool now non league traveller.

Post #5 of 5 (4180 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Day out watching cricket [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There are a number of leagues in the North(not sure about Yorkshire) and Midlands where most top League clubs have professionals which makes the games more interesting and programmes have usually been issued.
Similar to non league football some of the crowds have decreased although I was lucky to witness good ones although the professionals were the standard of Sir Garfield Sobers & Basil D'Oliviera!

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3