Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

  Main Index MAIN
Search Posts SEARCH
Who's Online WHO'S
Log in LOG


Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?: Re: [Chris1963] Saturday 30 November 2019: Edit Log

First Team Star

Nov 30, 2019, 9:16 PM

Posts: 2839
Location: South Hampshire
Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Views: 5586
Re: [Chris1963] Saturday 30 November 2019 or Reply Privately

Excellent Cup double today.
1400: Southampton Senior Cup Round 3

Whiteley Wanderers 2 Locks Heath 4 @ Titchfield Rec

admission/programme none, attendance est 40
2nd/9 (100% record) in Southampton Div 1 v 12th/16 in Hampshire Prem Senior
As I said earlier in the season, Whiteley Wanderers very much a team on the up and today they wanted to show their local rivals a league or two above them where they were at. Locks played a full team and had done their homework, double marking WW's dangerous players and being more physical then of late. Nevertheless, only two late goals gave the visitors the win, with the hosts missing two penalties into the bargain. The pitch (moved because their regular pitch at Meadowside was unfit) also didn't suit the home team's passing style.
The hosts took the game to their visitors from the off, playing downhill, and Lobb shot just wide in only the first minute. Locks' Bruce was warned about his choice of language in berating his teammates as a result. There was then an appeal for a penalty, and a shot was then saved by Gardiner. Typically, Locks then went and scored after 9 mins from their first attack. Bath won the ball and keeper Pope was hopelessly out of position as Alford picked it up and curled the ball into the opposite side of the net. Pepall then came close to doubling the lead with a cross which escaped everybody and went just past the far post. WW were playing a high defensive line and a long kick by Gardiner nearly caught then out as Bath was through but Pope just got there to clear. On 17 mins a cross was dropped by Gardiner under pressure and Deveney drove it into the net for the equaliser. Bath then had a shot at the other end, well tipped over by Pope. The match was competitive and exciting, with chances at both ends. Bath shot over after another Locks break, then a defensive error was picked up by Saidy, but he hesitated and his attempt was blocked. On 30 mins Saidy beat his man on the left, the defender then went to ground and fouled him in the area. But Lobb's penalty went over the bar. We then had some handbags as Alford took exception to a naughty-looking foul, but this was soon cleared up with a couple of yellows. In injury time a couple of crosses by the home team were missed with the goal gaping. HT 1-1.
Saidy went from centre-forward to centre-back after the break, and the entertainment continued. WW went into the lead on 54 mins as a corner was glanced on for St.John, unmarked at the far post, to head in. Locks came back a minute later with a wonderful equaliser, with a backheel and then a clever flick setting up Alford to lob the keeper. Pope had to come out quickly to stop Locks taking the lead again, and then on the hour we had controversy as Saidy was robbed of the call by Bath, who was then upended by the keeper as he was getting past him. From our viewpoint it looked to be a penalty and a yellow for the keeper, but the ref gave a free-kick just outside and only a yellow for the keeper, who we thought should have got a red if it was outside the area for preventing a scoring opportunity. It must be said that the ref had a very good game, so we won't argue. The free-kick was blocked. At the other end, Lobb shot just over after the keeper fumbled a shot. On 73 mins Locks took the lead again as Bath put Alford through and he notched his hat-trick (I also saw him score three in the last game I saw Locks play) by beating a poorly-positioned Pope. WW then got another penalty for a block tackle by a visiting defender, but Taylor put the spot-kick wide. This seemed to knock the stuffing out of the home team, who tried to come back again but looked tired, and Bath and sub T.Winterburn both had chances to increase the lead. Finally, on 85 mins, a free-kick was missed by the defence and Bath finished well to wrap up the win. Bath came close again before the end. Despite a gallant effort the hosts fell just short - but they had made their point. I've been to Titchfield Rec many times to watch the home team play in the Meon Valley Sunday League, but the first time I'd seen a Saturday game here. Just off the A27, there is parking and a pavilion, one pitch on a slope surrounded by fields and bushes, a good view of the ruined Titchfield Abbey,and not a lot else.

1730: FA Cup Round 2

Eastleigh 1 Crewe Alexandra 1

admission 15-00, programme 3-00, attendance 1806 (279 away)
10th in National League v 3rd in Division 2
Another good game, with an exciting finish. I'm sure some of you watched it on BT Sport.... From my point of view, the visitors passed the ball round sweetly and could have been well ahead after the first 20 mins, but the home team persisted and eventually came good, with the Alex being under pressure for the last 20 mins, when they could easily have lost.
The hosts seemed overawed at the start and the visitors controlled the game. In only the second minute a Crewe shot was blocked, then soon after a cross from the right was missed by a forward right in front of the net. Home keeper Stryjek was then called into action for the first time, as he pushed a Dale shot round the post. A great cross by the impressive Kirk then saw Dale mess his header up completely in front of goal. The Spitfires woke up and should have scored when a superb cross by Smart on the right was met with a diving header by Hollands, running in, but it went agonisingly wide. A good cross from the left then saw Barnett head over. Boyce also came close with a header from a corner, keeper Jaaskelainnen just grabbing it on the line. Alex then took the lead as Dale beat Stryjek to a corner and headed in. Payne replied for the hosts with a long shot, way over, and at the other end a nice move saw a shot wide. HT 0-1.
After the break the visitors again started the better, with another good cross by Kirk seeing Porter shoot over. A free-kick was then cleared by a defender (Rendall), and a long ball saw Stryjek just reach it before Kirk. The home team again started to get into the game and on the hour there was a big scramble in the visiting box, eventually cleared. Hollands then came close with a header and Payne's long shot was well held by Jaaskelainnen. As the home team pressed, a lot of Crewe players seemed to end up on the floor, which of course slowed the game down. The ref seemed to be sympathetic to their cause. But a good dummy set up Barnett for a shot, saved, and sub Green came up with two great crosses from the left which forwards just failed to connect with. The same for one from the right by Seaman. Another great cross by Green saw a Barnett header force a good save, then Green himself had a go from distance and also forced a good save from Jaaskelainnen. On 86 mins the equaliser came - a corner was touched back by Barnett amidst a scramble, and sub Barnes got the vital touch. The visitors nearly pinched it on 90 mins as on the break, Powell's shot was just clawed out of the corner by Stryjek, then the home team came close in injury time as a poor back pass saw Jaaskelainnen get there just before Barnes. Right at the end Barnett was pulled back by a defender - right on the edge of the area, said the ref - and Seaman's free-kick was just over. Good effort by the home side in the end, against a good Crewe team, whom I expect to get through in the repay, although it might be close.
Good support by the visitors, whose gold shirts (with barely readable numbers) I didn't like - but even worse was the pink/purple hooped goalkeeping shirt Pirate

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Nov 30, 2019, 11:58 PM)

Edit Log:
Post edited by HantsLondoner (First Team Star) on Nov 30, 2019, 9:47 PM
Post edited by HantsLondoner (First Team Star) on Nov 30, 2019, 9:49 PM
Post edited by HantsLondoner (First Team Star) on Nov 30, 2019, 11:44 PM
Post edited by HantsLondoner (First Team Star) on Nov 30, 2019, 11:58 PM

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3