Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Monday 25th November

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Nov 26, 2019, 8:09 AM

Posts: 1747

Views: 661
     Monday 25th November or Reply Privately

.... One of those Mondays where expectations were fairly low either the following or a HSC contest at Hitchin. Least expected a record breaking evening...

Sutton Common Rovers 12 (twelve) v 1 CB Hounslow - Combined Counties League Premier Division
Prog 32 pages - Online only, thus Monday printed but curiously only in black n' white despite selecting the colour option - Admission 7.00 - Att 120 - but as the learned Ramsgate stated, rather an exaggeration as approx 80 in situ.

.....First the boring personal stuff, as the first time I have ever seen a team score twelve in a match and also equalling the record for No. of goals seen in a contest (thirteen on three separate occasions - all Trophy matches). Going forward SCR were superb and it was one of those rare occasions where the quality of the approach play matched the quality of the finishing. You had to pity the opposition who started with ten players and from this angle had just one substitute after two players turned up late. Credit to them as they never indulged in the black arts to intimidate, though on too many occasions they were horribly feeble in defence.

The first minutes gave little notice of the carnage that was to follow with Ollie Twum angling a rising shot over the angle in what was a low key opening few minutes. However, Malachi Robinson's contribution on the right was pivotal to the performance and a surging run and precision low cross was met by a first time half volley by Shawn Lyle to put SCR in front. Zack Basey in the visitors goal did make several important saves but his fumble from Robinson's drive rebounded straight to Adam Allen who dispatched the rebound. A two goal half time lead from our gruppes perspective was about right and with tiring visiting limbs a healthy increase in the hosts GD was anticipated, but not on the scale that occurred during the second half.

The second period was a complete annihilation virtually from the start as Robinson's free kick on the right saw the CH Honslow defence completely collectively rooted as Allen easily nodded in from close range for the hosts third. What then assisted SCR further was the introduction of Aidan Brown who ended up with a tally of five goals in just over forty minutes on the pitch. He scored with his first two touches, the first sliding in from close range to convert another low cross of accuracy from Robinson and then for the fifth a carbon copy apart from the fact that the pace of Robinson's run down the right and the pinpoint placement of his low cross right into Brown's path deserved a much bigger audience than a late November evening in the wide open spaces of Gander Green Lane. Brown was then denied his hat trick with his first three touches as the linesmans flag was up way before he dispatched a rebound off of Basey.

Kudos to the hosts for not declaring at this stage and the massacre continued apace with Brendan Murphy-McVey powering through a couple of puny challenges and setting up Allen to complete his three goal haul. SCR were then awarded two penalties in quick succession, the first was fairly obvious with Brown clearly shoved over and he rose to convert the penalty for his hat trick and then very soon after a less apparent award as Brown fell to the ground after what looked to be a insignificant challenge. Penalty taking responsibility given to Matt Farrell who made it eight.

It was now the time of Twum to score twice in quick succession to bring up double figures. First, Allen the provider with a purposeful run forward giving Twum the time to place past a woefully underprotected Basey and then an excellent rising shot into the roof of the net and with 17 minutes left many of our gruppe's personal bests were under threat or had already been beaten.

Surprisingly, there was a brief respite and Harrison Livingstone pulled a goal back for the visitors placing past the under employed Michael Eacott, but this was the catalyst for two further goals to conclude with Brown fairly middling a half volley past Basey and the hosts twelfth when Brown once again was perfectly positioned on the edge of the area to unleash a vigorous drive after a poor defensive header out landed on his feet. The final few minutes saw the hosts play with a player deficit as after they had used their compliment of substitutes Kyle Henry seized up with cramp. Not that this was going to make any difference to the outcome.

Easy journey down changing at Sutton and then availed the kind offer of a further lift in the Blissettmobile from Hornetini (not so former) Teech!!. Allowed the catching of a fast Thameslink train to London Bridge and indoors for 23.38....