Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Where did you go (Wednesday 10th September)?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Frank/Gary
Deleted

Sep 10, 2008, 10:28 PM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 43 (5220 views)
Shortcut
Where did you go (Wednesday 10th September)? Can't Post or

Benfield 2 Ashington 2 (Northern League D1)

4 in, 1 programme, 60 p coffee, about 100 there, inc 20 from Ashington

Magnificent performance from Ashington keeper Paul Simpson denied Benfield a comfortable win.

Very, very good game on a temperate evening.

2008/2009

48 games

Last game: Newcastle United 2 Spurs 1 (Premiership) 21/12/2008

9 new grounds

Last new ground: Reyrolle Sports & Social Ground, Hebburn Reyrolle

Heaton Winstons' League Campaign: P13 W6 D3 L4 F38 A30 GD+8 Pts 21 Pos 4/16

Last game: Grindon Vets 0 Winstons 3

"The waiter's stacking the chairs"

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 10, 2008, 10:50 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #2 of 43 (5202 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Frank/Gary] Where did you go (Wednesday 10th September)? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

East Lancashire League, Division Two
Oswaldtwistle St Mary's 1 Rawtenstall 3 (att 14)
Home side went ahead after just two minutes but Rawtenstall soon levelled, after that it was mostly scrappy and uninspiring although Rawtenstall looked sharper. Livened up midway through the second half when Rawtenstall had a player swent off for retaliating to a foul with headbut, but with 10 men they went on to score twice for a comfortable win.
Foxhill Bank is a very basic ground, just an unroped undulating pitch on a open playing field.

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

KnowYourMarket
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 10, 2008, 11:06 PM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #3 of 43 (5182 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steveb] Where did you go (Wednesday 10th September)? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Brodsworth Miners Welfare 3-2 Hallam

Northern Counties East League Premier Division, admission 5, curry sauce and chips 1.20, attendance 38

Smashing old miners welfare ground surrounded by houses (probably built for miners) on 2 sides and a cricket ground on another, a seated stand on the near side and covered terrace behind the far goal. Wonderful old buildings including one housing the generator for the floodlights and some good old fashioned bogs. The pitch was in excellent nick and is one to bear in mind on wet days.

The game was a cracker and Hallam were unlucky who shaded it in my view. The homesters won it though with a wonder goal by Liam Wilkin (this goal completed his hat-trick). Thoroughly enjoyable evening and if you like grounds you'll definitely enjoy this one.

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

Torbaymick
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 10, 2008, 11:19 PM

Team(s): Reading Leeds United Buckland Athletic

Post #4 of 43 (5161 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Frank/Gary] Where did you go (Wednesday 10th September)? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FA Vase

Newton Abbot 2 Budleigh Salterton 0 at Sandy Lane
Ent 4 Prog 1 Saturdays Coffee 70p Bacon Bap 1.50
Att 50 rough Est

Weather Blustery showers strong wind yet a decent game.

www.thoughts.com/MickeysSouthwest08Hop/blog

Shambles
Youth Team Star

Sep 10, 2008, 11:28 PM

Team(s): Gillingham

Post #5 of 43 (5152 views)
Shortcut

Gillingham Reserves 1 Southampton Reserves 2
Football Combination Central Division
KRBS Priestfield Stadium, Gillingham
Att Around 150
Admission FREE
Teamsheet FREE

An entertaining afternoon's football.

The Gills had several triallists mixed with first team squad players and second year youth team scholars; journeyman Trevor Benjamin, Canadian U23 striker Marcus Haber, former Derby County winger Tyron Amory, former Wimbledon and Watford winger Albert Jarrett and an American striker, Roland Benedict, who is the son of former A-Team/Battlestar Galactica actor Dirk Benedict (who was a ballboy for the warmup in an empty Rainham End).

The Saints had Tommy Forecast, Rudi Skacel, Nathan Dyer, Kyle Davies, Matthew Patterson and Jamie White as first team squad members in the starting XI; the remaining places taken up by youth team members.

The away side took the lead in the 7th minute, Davies heading home from a Dyer corner.

They made it 2-0 on 62 when Patterson drilled home from another Dyer corner.

The Gills pulled one back on 69 when Benjamin headed past Forecast from a Jarrett freekick.

2008/2009

32 games

Last game:
Gillingham Reserves 1 Southampton Reserves 2

2 new grounds: Aveley, Darlington

Last new ground:Balfour Webnet Darlington Arena, Darlington

royals26

Sep 10, 2008, 11:28 PM

Team(s): Reading

Post #6 of 43 (5152 views)
Shortcut
Re: [modelhobbies] Where did you go (Wednesday 10th September)? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hellenic Prem

Hungerford Town 1-0 Reading Town

Attendance: 92
probably boosted a bit by the fact that they have Setanta and were showing the England game. Biggest cheer of the night was (I think) for Englands' 2nd goal.

Admittance 5.00 +1.50 Programme fairly small affair 20pp 9 ads
Refreshments didn't partake but looked like an adequately stocked Tea Bar - Bar itself ample - both temperatures of Guinness on draught.

This was a revisit for me - got the kids home from Swimming in time to dash out and along the M4 - mercilessly clear - didn't check KO time - caught out cos it was a 19:30 start so I missed about 20 mins. Blush

Met up with Dr Love - game itself was a hard fought affair - personally thought Hungerford just had too much for Town even with the much vaunted Mr Spence in a three man attack. Hungerford were very impressive - moved the ball around very neatly from midfield to attack and were very committed in the tackle.
Only goal midway through 2nd half was (I think) prodded in by Concannon when Town failed to clear.
Hungerford sat back a bit too deep in the 2nd half and almost came unstuck but their back four/Keeper were never really tested.
Interesting to see how Reading cope with the Blanket Boys on Saturday who must be smarting after their embarrasing defeat by Wasps last night?
M4 still clear for the return home - indoors by 22:00h! Wink

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 10, 2008, 11:36 PM

Post #7 of 43 (5144 views)
Shortcut
Re: [modelhobbies] Where did you go (Wednesday 10th September)? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Aston 0 Sheffield Bankers 3
Sheffield County Senior League

Aston play at the Swallownest Miners Welfare ground in Rotherham Rd, which I assume is where the team of that name played in their Yorkshire League days in the 1960s. Certainly it gives the impression of having hosted higher level football at some point with two steps of terracing along one side. This terracing is topped by a grass bank which could conceivably cover more terracing - a fellow traveller present suggested that an archealogical dig might be in order to discover what lies beneath Cool. The rest of the ground is grass standing and the pitch itself was in excellent condition.

The game was rather forgetable, although it did perk up in the second half. The attendance fluctuated with probably 50 people watching at various times but no more than half of them being there for the whole game.

Hornet
Deleted

Sep 10, 2008, 11:54 PM

Team(s):

Post #8 of 43 (5127 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Where did you go (Wednesday 10th September)? [In reply to] Can't Post or

OLLERTON 1 CAUSEWAY UTD 2 (AET)
FA VASE REPLAY
4-00 ENTRY 1-00 PROGRAMME

Another poor game for me Ollerton took the lead midway of the first half, then gave away a penalty soon after H/T 1-1, the only thing of interest in the second half was a send off , of one of the home players.Causeway got the winner in the second half of extra time. Must thank Rob Hornby for getting the programmes as they had sold out before we got there 35 minutes before kick off. Very late home 10-20 the game ended.

Roman
First Team Sub

Sep 11, 2008, 2:00 AM

Team(s): Arsenal, Rocester, Brentford

Post #9 of 43 (5103 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hornet] Where did you go (Wednesday 10th September)? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
OLLERTON 1 CAUSEWAY UTD 2 (AET)
FA VASE REPLAY
4-00 ENTRY 1-00 PROGRAMME

Another poor game for me Ollerton took the lead midway of the first half, then gave away a penalty soon after H/T 1-1, the only thing of interest in the second half was a send off , of one of the home players.Causeway got the winner in the second half of extra time. Must thank Rob Hornby for getting the programmes as they had sold out before we got there 35 minutes before kick off. Very late home 10-20 the game ended.

Didn't get there in the end, sounds like I did well to miss it!

yorkieexile
First Team Star

Sep 11, 2008, 6:15 AM

Team(s): Halifax, Groundhopper

Post #10 of 43 (5081 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Roman] Where did you go (Wednesday 10th September)? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Biggleswade Town 5 Arlesey Athletic 2
League Cup match, switched from Arlesey
Att 55 (abbswolf h/c)
Admission 4
Programme (very basic 4 pager) free
Burger van - expensive

The new Carlsberg Stadium, pitch in perfect condition, seated stand on one side, old covered terracing on other side, transferred from previous ground

Home side well on top in first half, 4-0 up at 45 (including 3 goals in 4 minutes). Further goal on 50 mins, after which they declared, and Arlesey pulled 2 back without ever threatening to equalise

Nice to meet up with abbswolf again, and Brian Buck

davy c
First Team Star

Sep 11, 2008, 9:26 AM

Post #11 of 43 (5039 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yorkieexile] Where did you go (Wednesday 10th September)? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

West Midlands Regional League Prem
Ellesmere Rangers 1 AFC Wulfruniains 2
att about 60
Admission 3 Prog 1

Thoroughly enjoyable match on a lovely autumnal evening, with a match played with good pace a no little skill. There is clearly a buzz about this up and coming Shropshire Village, both on and off the pitch. Fresh from their victory over Bromsgrove Rovers in the FA Cup (this their first season in the comp), the place is clearly still cock a hoop. A new seated stand with standing cover either side has been errected and the ground is now fully enclosed, but still holds onto the essence of a village football team somehow. There are plans a foot for a new changing room block as well.
The hard working commitee members afforded the traveller a sincere warm welcome and many were keen to chat at length about the club and its pland for the future.
On the pitch they look a useful side (albeit very young), but prone to the odd mistake or two, which is why the visitors were two up no more than fifteen minutes. Rangers played some good atacking football with the emphasis on keeping the ball on the floor, but they were let down badly by the one paced attempts of Tim Nunnerley up front who was punching way above his weight at this level. I feel it only a matter of time before he returns to Guilsfield in the Cymru Alliance. The homesters pulled one back with fifteen on the clock remaining with what was essentially a mis hit cross, cue excitement. Bookings galore ensued (the ref was absolutely dreadful) and disallowed goal for Rangers and then deep in stoppage time the ref then gave a bizzare penalty (have asked many and no one knows what is was for) to ellesmere, which they promptly missed.
Top StuffSly

twitter @davyc1976

BCB
Junior Team Star

Sep 11, 2008, 10:06 AM

Team(s): Everton

Post #12 of 43 (5025 views)
Shortcut
Re: [davy c] Where did you go (Wednesday 10th September)? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hellenic Premier

Shrivenham 0 Hook Norton 1

Attendance - 57

Entrance - 4.00 including programme.

sanktpaulee
Deleted

Sep 11, 2008, 10:33 AM

Team(s):

Post #13 of 43 (5005 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yorkieexile] Where did you go (Wednesday 10th September)? [In reply to] Can't Post or

Was also at Biggleswade Town. Not much to add to the previous post, other than to say it's a decent set up. The bar still smells of new carpet, and unfortunately there's no decent beer.
I was informed the area around the ground will be developed to provide an astroturf training pitch adjacent plus youth team pitches in front of the ground.

Twitter: @LeeWest1865
http://groundhopping.forumup.co.uk

nico
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 11, 2008, 10:46 AM

Team(s): SV Schadenfreude

Post #14 of 43 (4995 views)
Shortcut

Bramley Sunnyside Juniors 0 Hallam Reserves 0

Sheffield County Senior League Division Two

Oh dear, two poor teams + an atrocious playing surface = a very poor match. Unsure

One moment's high and glory rolls on by

SWP-Phil
First Team Star

Sep 11, 2008, 11:22 AM

Team(s): Various

Post #15 of 43 (4970 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nico] Where did you go (Wednesday 10th September)? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Plymouth Parkway 1 St Blazey 1

Att 146, Admission 4 plus 1 for average quality proggie

Wet miserable night throughout and the football rarely lifted the spirits. St Blazey were defensive after recent defeats and Parkway struggled to create many chances. Draw a fair result.

Follow the SW Peninsula League on Twitter: @swpleague

For all the News on the SW Peninsula League go to : www.swpleague.co.uk

acmold

Sep 11, 2008, 12:13 PM

Post #16 of 43 (4943 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SWP-Phil] Where did you go (Wednesday 10th September)? [In reply to] Can't Post or

AFC Corinthians (2) 6 Hurst (0) 2

Reading League Premier Division (division two in theory)

Att 16 (inc 6 well known travelers)

A mid morning call from a well known traveler alerted me to this game being on, as it was not raining and I did not have to go into Reading to do it I went along. AFC Corinthians play in the middle of nowhere, in Burghfield turn into James Lane. proced for nearly a mile and the Civil Service Club is on your left after The Mearings which is the lane that leads to Burghfield Place. You then park your car in the Civil Service Club and walk down a track for 500 or 600 yards before turning right onto another track that leads to the pitch.

I presume you could use the Civil Service Club if it were open, otherwise other than a couple of pubs in Burghfield there are not food shops or take aways for miles.

Despite much of the area around the complex being waterlogged the pitch was in very good condtion. The pitch is a pitch, nothing else. AFC were far to strong for Hurst and could have had double figures, Hurst two goals were a wonder strike, or was it a clearance from the halfway line and a very late goal.

We understand that South Reading and Shinfield have both left this division already this season.

Rustle
Youth Team Sub

Sep 11, 2008, 12:14 PM

Post #17 of 43 (4942 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Brodsworth Miners Welfare 3-2 Hallam

Northern Counties East League Premier Division, admission 5, curry sauce and chips 1.20, attendance 38

Smashing old miners welfare ground surrounded by houses (probably built for miners) on 2 sides and a cricket ground on another, a seated stand on the near side and covered terrace behind the far goal. Wonderful old buildings including one housing the generator for the floodlights and some good old fashioned bogs. The pitch was in excellent nick and is one to bear in mind on wet days.

The game was a cracker and Hallam were unlucky who shaded it in my view. The homesters won it though with a wonder goal by Liam Wilkin (this goal completed his hat-trick). Thoroughly enjoyable evening and if you like grounds you'll definitely enjoy this one.

No mention of programmes ? There are some posters who need to know..................

Aggedor
Deleted

Sep 11, 2008, 12:49 PM

Team(s):

Post #18 of 43 (4914 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rustle] Where did you go (Wednesday 10th September)? [In reply to] Can't Post or

Also at Ollerton, and have to agree with Hornet's assessment. On the plus side it was a good chance to see Rob Hornby, and to spend the game in the company of Pete Watmough (who used to live a few streets away from me in Long Eaton - till I moved up, and he decamped to Mansfield. Is he trying to tell me something??!!)

Chris1963

Sep 11, 2008, 12:57 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #19 of 43 (4909 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sanktpaulee] Where did you go (Wednesday 10th September)? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wodson Park 0 London Colney 1 (SML Trophy) Attendance - approx 40. Admission - free. Programme - 1 (decent 12 pager with colour photo of ground under floodlights on front cover)

An athletics venue next door to Ware FC (but a separate ground for all except the most fussy!) with plenty of grass banking all around but no cover for spectators. A close game resulted in a narrow victory for the visitors thanks to a 61st minute goal.
The major surprise of the evening was how few groundhoppers - perhaps less than 10 or so - were at this match, and I think everyone would have got a programme. I'm baffled as to why several people apparently chose to do Biggleswade Town's new ground for what was originally an away game for them. There is, I think, a real urgency for you to 'tick' Wodson Park athletics arena if you haven't been there yet. They are currently unbeaten in the league and if they gain promotion, I suspect they may well try to groundshare at Ware FC. Try and get along there before it's too late!

NeutralFan
Ballboy/girl

Sep 11, 2008, 2:23 PM

Post #20 of 43 (4860 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Where did you go (Wednesday 10th September)? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Chris1963,

Were you one of three/four guys there early getting your programs off the chairman?

I thought we (Wodson) deserved more out of the game, how did you see it?

Part Time Par
Youth Team Sub

Sep 11, 2008, 3:15 PM

Post #21 of 43 (4839 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Where did you go (Wednesday 10th September)? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I suspect they may well try to groundshare at Ware FC. Try and get along there before it's too late!

I think Enfield 1893 might have an issue with that. Unless of course they get their own ground

Dr Love
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 11, 2008, 5:02 PM

Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #22 of 43 (4796 views)
Shortcut
Re: [royals26] Where did you go (Wednesday 10th September)? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Can't really argue with this, though my first cup of tea was a bit better than my second.

Chris1963

Sep 11, 2008, 5:19 PM

Post #23 of 43 (4783 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NeutralFan] Where did you go (Wednesday 10th September)? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Chris1963,

Were you one of three/four guys there early getting your programs off the chairman?

I thought we (Wodson) deserved more out of the game, how did you see it?

Yes, I was one of those arriving early! Well done to the chairman for being in a clearly visible position, unlike some other similar venues where you have to hunt down the programmes in the vicinity of the changing rooms.

As for the match, I felt that Wodson looked impressive, particularly early on in the first half when they headed against the bar and the ball was then immediately cleared off the line. London Colney will probably have been relieved not to have been the victims of a cup upset.

Chris1963

Sep 11, 2008, 5:21 PM

Post #24 of 43 (4781 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part Time Par] Where did you go (Wednesday 10th September)? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
I suspect they may well try to groundshare at Ware FC. Try and get along there before it's too late!

I think Enfield 1893 might have an issue with that. Unless of course they get their own ground

Oops, I forgot all about Enfield 1893 groundshaing there!

Nifty
Ballboy/girl

Sep 11, 2008, 8:53 PM

Post #25 of 43 (4702 views)
Shortcut

Great ground, well and truly covered - I beg to differ about the bar, it was lacking the London Pride but we were assured that it would be 'on tap' soon (Speckled Hen would have been my ale of choice!)

All thats to be said is 'well done boys especially the debutantes!

Here you go..................

http://www.biggleswadetoday.co.uk/...Challenge.4482668.jp

C'mon Waders

(This post was edited by Nifty on Sep 11, 2008, 8:59 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3