Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Where did you go Monday 22nd ?

davy c
First Team Star

Sep 23, 2008, 8:38 AM

Post #1 of 8 (3334 views)
Shortcut
Where did you go Monday 22nd ? Can't Post or Reply Privately

New Mills 3 Maine Road 0 NWCFL PREM
Admission £5 Prog £1
Att 152

Quite how Maine Road didnt get anything out of this game is beyond me, they were equally as good as the hosts for large parts of the game, but lacked the killer instinct in front of goal. Their front three were lightning quick and New MIlls ancient defence (including a less than mobile, Mike Flynn) were struggling to keep pace with them. The Millers plight was not helped by their front two not holding the ball up at all in the first period (Giggsy`s bro being the main culprit) However you have to take your chances and the ambitious High Peak outfit were clinincal enough to take theirs. Two up out of nothing at the interval and then the game was finished with a peach of a third.
Nice to catch up with my old sparring partner Chris Royle (former vics,witton,alty) back in semi pro action and playing pretty well at wing back in the first half (although unfortunately I was not carrying the lung replacement he requested after a dash down the right wing too many in the first period.
Nice ground, lovely views, very organised set up, I will be definately be visiting again.

twitter @davyc1976

(This post was edited by davy c on Sep 23, 2008, 11:13 AM)

BCB
Junior Team Star

Sep 23, 2008, 8:48 AM

Team(s): Everton

Post #2 of 8 (3331 views)
Shortcut
Re: [davy c] Where did you go Monday 22nd ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The A1 Arena or still known to the locals as Rockingham Road !

Kettering Town 0 Burton Albion 1.

Entrance Fee - Main Stand Seating £15.00
Programme - £3.00 (Ouch)

Great/proper old football ground, with traditional floodlights, and a good atmosphere generated by the home support. The game was no classic as Setanta viewers will have seen.

SWP-Phil
First Team Star

Sep 23, 2008, 9:53 AM

Team(s): Various

Post #3 of 8 (3308 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BCB] Where did you go Monday 22nd ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Throgmorton Cup 1st Round

Crediton United 1 Royal Marines 2

Attendance approx 75 - Admission £3 inc good proggie

Decent game with the Marines coming from 1 down at half time to win through despite having a penalty blazed high, wide and not very handsome when the score was 1-1.

Home manager, John Cornforth (ex of Swansea, Exeter, Torquay etc) very upset about young lads sending off for the penalty after Marine had "fallen" rather easily in the box.

Follow the SW Peninsula League on Twitter: @swpleague

For all the News on the SW Peninsula League go to : www.swpleague.co.uk

SuperKev!
First Team Star

Sep 23, 2008, 10:55 AM

Post #4 of 8 (3277 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SWP-Phil] Where did you go Monday 22nd ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Fell on my feet a bit last night. First choice game was Hitchin Town Arena v Allenburys Sports. On arrival at the "Baldock Cage" five minutes before kick-off, I found some youngsters having a training session on the pitch. The diary in the bar showed training sessions booked all night and no sign of a Herts County League game. Bumped into Spud in the bar who phoned the Hitchin Secretary, main Hitchin ground and Allenburys ground -all to no avail. So we both jumped into the car and headed south on the A1M with a view to St Albans City Reserves v Potters Bar Town Reserves in the Capital League. However, as we were approaching the Stevenage exit, a bright light clicked in my mind and we diverted instead towards Broadhall Way where Stevenage Borough had an FA Youth Cup tie. After a quick friendly chat with the Stevenage Borough Secretary/Administrator we were able to bypass the £5 admission fee and ended up watching:

FA Youth Cup First Qualifying Round
Stevenage Borough 7 Bishops Stortford 2
Admission £5/£2 (for those who paid)
Full colour double-sided teamsheet 10p
Manufactured cheeseburger £2.70
Tea (overpriced) £1

This was football the way it should be played. Both teams trying to play football, no bad fouls, the referee only having to "have a word" with a player twice all evening and plenty of goals.

In truth, Stortford weren't that bad but they didn't really take the chances that came their way. Stevenage opened the scoring before Stortford equalised. Stevenage regained the lead and then Stortford had two good chances to equalise, one hitting the outside of the post, before Stevenage gained complete control. They led 3-1 at the break and even had the luxury of ballooning a penalty over the bar that would have made it four.

The second half was a procession as the Stortford players slowly realised they weren't going to get anything out of this game but, to their credit, still tried to play football. Stevenage were 7-1 up before Stortford scored again two minutes from time and could have had one more before the end. 7-2 was a bit harsh on the visitors but Stevenage deserved to go through and could have a good run in this competition (they were only beaten 1-0 by eventual finalists Chelsea last season) although their 'keeper could prove a bit suspect against better attacks.

A very enjoyable "third choice" game. It was also the third day running that both Spud and I had seen a team score seven as we both saw Poole Borough at Cobham Sports on Saturday and Erith & Belvedere on Sunday!

As a footnote, I see on the Herts County League website that Hitchin Town Arena won 5-0. Anyone got any idea where this was played?

KnowYourMarket
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 23, 2008, 11:21 AM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #5 of 8 (3263 views)
Shortcut
Re: [davy c] Where did you go Monday 22nd ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Davy, I think you must be going in disguise. Didn't see you last nightFrown. Agree wholeheartedly with your summary of the game. Maine Road's heads went after going 2-0 down and were much the better side until then. It shows what a strong league this is again as Maine Road are struggling and played good stuff with young players.

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

davy c
First Team Star

Sep 23, 2008, 11:26 AM

Post #6 of 8 (3257 views)
Shortcut
Re: [modelhobbies] Where did you go Monday 22nd ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was on the far side opposite the covered section. Gave me an chance to have some "banter" with Royley as he charged up and down the right flank in the first half. Liam beckford the right winger (number 8) for Maine Road is one of the quickest players I have seen in a good while at this leval.

twitter @davyc1976

PJ
First Team Star

Sep 23, 2008, 6:48 PM

Team(s): Cogenhoe United/QPR/Npton Tn

Post #7 of 8 (3172 views)
Shortcut

FAYC Rothwell Corinthians 3 Northampton Spencer 4
Adm £3 Prog free att 40ish
Cracking game that went right to the wire. Corinths took an early lead when Ian Hay tapped home from close range after a good save from Mundy, but the Millers were soon level when Joe Merrill headed home from a corner. Rothwell had a few chances to restore their lead, but found themselves 1-3 down at the break thanks to a Chris Gilligan brace. The first a thunderous free-kick from just outside the box, the second a sweetly struck shot that finished off a swift counter-attack in first half injury time. Rothwell pulled one back through Chawa Chinkhumba, but Spencer spurned the chance of restoring the two goal margin when Gilligan was denied his hat-trick when he saw his penalty saved. Spurred on by this, Corinthians levelled the scores when Hay found the corner of the net after his original shot had come back off the post and with extra time looming the game had one final twist. A free kick was swung over to the far post to find an unmarked Sťan (pronounced Shan) McBride who gratefully nodded home.

coops
First Team Sub

Sep 23, 2008, 11:21 PM

Team(s): Tamworth

Post #8 of 8 (3090 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BCB] Where did you go Monday 22nd ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The A1 Arena or still known to the locals as Rockingham Road !

It's called The A-Line arena, not A1, I'd hate your records to be wrong!

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3