Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Where Did You Go 22-26 September

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 23, 2008, 8:53 AM

Post #1 of 65 (6167 views)
Shortcut
Where Did You Go 22-26 September Can't Post or Reply Privately

Monday 22nd

North West Counties League Premier Division

Atherton Colleries 0-3 St. Helens Town

Att: 88 (h/c)

5 admission
1 programme
60p for cup of tea

A fine old club struggling this season. 9 games, 9 defeats and a goal difference of -30.

The ground is relatively easy to find off the A579. From the M61, take junc5 and follow signs for Leigh. When you get to Atherton, Left at the 3rd set of lights (including pedestrian crossings) then 2nd left into Alder St and ground is at the end.

2 Large areas of covered terrace either side of the pitch, one of which with bench seating added and a distinguishable sloping pitch from top left to bottom right.

First half and with exception of being shot shy Atherton were better than their record would suggest. Were determined and committed to the challenge without going OTT. St Helens scored early on with a spectacular volley which I thought the keeper should have done better with and after that did just enough to keep Colls at bay.

Within 3 minutes of the 2nd half the game was over, when not for the first time, the offside trap was beaten and for a spell off 15 minutes Colls heads went down and they needlessly gifted the Saints a 3rd on the hour.

After that it was pretty end to end with Colls desprately unlucky not to pull a goal back when a long range effort hit the underside of the bar and bounced back out.

An enjoyable night out breaking up the long journey back from Ayr and with the Motorways clear a pleasnt 4 1/4 hour journey back home.

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor

robhornby
First Team Star

Sep 23, 2008, 10:54 PM

Team(s): Non League Football

Post #2 of 65 (6097 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] Where Did You Go 22-26 September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

TUESDAY 23rd

Thormorton Cup

Newquay 4 Mousehole 2

Admission 3
Programme free
H/C 94

Sausage & Chips .2.50
Raffle Prize won by me 25!

My annual trip to Newquay saw me arrive around 6pm when a nice blonde lady asked me if I was from the club, she was from the BBC doing a feature for Spotlight South West for thursdays programme at 6.30pm about Respect.
Met a old friend Brian Biggin who is Newquays President and is a great bloke who has been with the club for over 50 years along with his good lady who was on the gate today.

A good game of football that Newquay was always in control of and now progress to the next round to play Penryn

To visit my charity blog..please click on https://aroundthegrounds2019-20.blogspot.com/

Dr Love
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 23, 2008, 11:23 PM

Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #3 of 65 (6078 views)
Shortcut
Re: [robhornby] Where Did You Go 22-26 September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Reading Town 0-1 Ardley United
Hellenic Premier

Met royals again at this one. Not the most memorable of games, between two relatively closely matched sides. The goal came shortly before half time and shortly after Reading's best chance (which rattled the bar).

coops
First Team Sub

Sep 23, 2008, 11:25 PM

Team(s): Tamworth

Post #4 of 65 (6075 views)
Shortcut
Re: [robhornby] Where Did You Go 22-26 September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Dudley Sports 0 -1 Darlaston Town

Admission - 3
Programme - 1
Attendance - 34 (Headcount)

Rubbish game enlivened only by the rantings of the Dudley manager (nothing unusual there!) and the constant whinging of the Dudley number 5 to the officials "How con yow see that from there?"

They did serve curly fries at the snack bar though.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Sep 23, 2008, 11:29 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #5 of 65 (6068 views)
Shortcut

Midland Alliance : Cradley Town 4 Friar Lane 0. Att 52. Admission 4,Programme 1. Burger and chips 2.50. Passable,possibly within the hour.

It was October 1993 when I last made the long journey of 4.6 miles to Cradley Town and many improvements have been made to a ground that was at one time close to the "dump" category.
Located in a labyrinthine housing estate off the main Halesowen to Stourbridge road, the notorious sloping pitch has been pretty much levelled and there is plenty of cover on 3 sides - covered flat standing behind the goal as you enter; covered terrace with what looked like bus seats bolted down in the front to give a tremendous view on the right side which is dug out of a large bank and a deep covered terraced stand with over 200 seats (all unused !) behind the far goal. The fourth side doesn't lend itself to watching but if you must,there's a pathway running a couple of feet below pitch level (a result of the levelling I guess) where you could get a Dennis Wise-type view of the game.
0-0 at half-time but Cradley roared away from a poor FLOB side in the second half to reach what is, for them, nosebleed territory in mid-table.

Very enjoyable fare on a mild night in the Black Country.

Windy
First Team Sub

Sep 23, 2008, 11:34 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 65 (6065 views)
Shortcut
Re: [coops] Where Did You Go 22-26 September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Arsenal 6 Sheffield United 0 -Programme just 2

A fabulous performance by Arsenal's kids - it was men v boys with the boys running rings around the men !
A great PR exercise by Arsenal reducing the prices to 20 for Upper Tier and 10 for Lower Tier with half-price for children, so, Little Windy came along for his first visit to the Emirates and loved every minute. Attendance was over 56,000 !!

Arsenal even reduced their programme to just 2 and still had 52 pages - great value especially compared to other efforts that I've seen this season which have cost more - admittedly, they know that they are going to sell around 20,000 programmes so they can reduce the price and still make money.

Great night - great value - well done Arsenal all round.

KnowYourMarket
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 23, 2008, 11:34 PM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #7 of 65 (6065 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Where Did You Go 22-26 September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Penrith 3-2 Shildon

Northern League Division 1, admission 5 inc programme, coffee 60p.

Thoroughly entertaining game in a cracking stadium which will sadly be lost to the supermarket/shopping precinct world (how many shops do we need?)

New ground is finished according to one of their fans and for those who have not been to the current one you have a couple more chances to get this one in. Luckily nothing funny happened tonight for me to report.

Nice to meet up with MadMick towards the end of the game.

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

(This post was edited by modelhobbies on Sep 23, 2008, 11:39 PM)

GrundyHiller
First Team Sub

Sep 23, 2008, 11:35 PM

Team(s): Horwich RMI, Bolton Wanderers

Post #8 of 65 (6062 views)
Shortcut
Re: [coops] Where Did You Go 22-26 September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tues 23rd: West Midlands (Regional) League Premier Division- Bloxwich United 2-0 Ellesmere Rangers; Attendance: 90 (h/c); Admission: 3.50; Programme: 1

Bloxwich United, formerly known as Birchills United, play at the Old Red Lion Ground in Bloxwich, former home of Blakenhall FC. Only formed in 2006 they have quickly progressed to level 6 and are a go-ahead club that welcomes travellers warmly. With a wealth of local talent to choose from in a football mad area another promotion is not beyond them.

The Old Red Lion ground is on the A34 north of Walsall with plenty of street parking. Entry to the ground is through the social club. There is a small seated stand behind the nearside goal, the rest of the ground is open standing. A good colour programme was produced, the tea bar was open for business and the well appointed club house open throughout the game.

A very welcoming club this one, the secretary not only confirmed the fixture when I made a check call but made sure he sought me out to welcome me. Highly recommended for a visit.

Ellesmere were the best team in the first half but couldn't turn their superiority into goals. A glancing header on 55 and a spectacular lob from 30 yards on 75 continued Bloxwich's impressive start in a well contested game.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Sep 23, 2008, 11:37 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #9 of 65 (6058 views)
Shortcut
Re: [modelhobbies] Where Did You Go 22-26 September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Penrith 3-2 Shildon

Luckily nothing funny happened tonight for me to report.

SlySlySly

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 24, 2008, 12:40 AM

Post #10 of 65 (6013 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Where Did You Go 22-26 September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

VTFC 2-2 Fareham Town

A point away at the moneybags of the league and I should be happy, but 3 hours later and I am still fuming at without doubt the most inept display by a referee not just so far this season but I don't recall one this bad last season either watching Fareham or on my travel in 2 years.

Let's just say he had more than 1 Watford momentMadMad. All of which were decisions (or non decisions) in favour of the home side.

We've played both Poole and VTFC the likely title contenders and there's no contest for me where the title's going and it wont be to a boatyard social club.

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 24, 2008, 1:30 AM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #11 of 65 (5998 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] Where Did You Go 22-26 September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Essex Senior League Cup, Group B
Takeley 5 Clapton 0 (att 50ish, don't know official figure)
A day off working waiting for the Sky TV engineer, and thankfully he turned in plenty of time for me to get to a game. Takeley looked a decent side and certainly won this very easily, although they were helped in no small part by Clapton's suicidial defending.
Work is underway on a stand, but apart from its frame and scaffolding the only cover at present is a small overhang from a newish-looking building, in the corner, which houses a tea bar and changing rooms. Car parking is a bit limited, the car park behind the goal at the entrance filled up and apart from a small layby parking on the main road outside wasn't permitted.
Admission 5 and programmes were 1.

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

andy1886
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 24, 2008, 5:50 AM

Team(s): motherwell and yorkshire non league

Post #12 of 65 (5973 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steveb] Where Did You Go 22-26 September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Parkgate 4-1 Leeds Carnegie
Presidents Cup 1st Round
Admission 5 adults 2 kids 1-20 programme attendance 21 headcount
Excellent match between Parkgate of NCEL Premier and Leeds Carnegie of NCEL Division One which was a lot closer than the scoreline suggests.Leeds had the bulk of pressure for the first 30 minutes before Parkgate hit them on the break to take the lead.They doubled their lead after winning the ball 30 yards out and whipping in a delicious cross for their centre forward to bury his header 10 minutes later.A third was added with a 25 yard screamer in off the post before Leeds pulled one back.Parkgate rounded off the scoring in injury time with their centre forward completing his hat trick after holding off 4 defenders before slotting the ball in.Despite the win not overly impressed with Parkgate but Leeds played some lovely football,passing and moving just couldnot find the final ball when around the box.Recommend seeing them in action.

Barnsley Dave
First Team Star

Sep 24, 2008, 6:44 AM

Team(s): Barnsley ,non league football,Yorkshire C.C, ,,wherever I lay my hat

Post #13 of 65 (5970 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Windy] Where Did You Go 22-26 September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Arsenal 6 Sheffield United 0 -Programme just 2

A fabulous performance by Arsenal's kids - it was men v boys with the boys running rings around the men !
A great PR exercise by Arsenal reducing the prices to 20 for Upper Tier and 10 for Lower Tier with half-price for children, so, Little Windy came along for his first visit to the Emirates and loved every minute. Attendance was over 56,000 !!

Arsenal even reduced their programme to just 2 and still had 52 pages - great value especially compared to other efforts that I've seen this season which have cost more - admittedly, they know that they are going to sell around 20,000 programmes so they can reduce the price and still make money.

Great night - great value - well done Arsenal all round.

Totally agree. Superb performance from Arsenal. Seemed to be lots of first timers in the crowd as well. Chicken balti pies were a bit pricey at 4 but I was hungry ! Excellent value and as Windy says the programme was great for 2. Nice padded seats with plenty of leg room where I was (blue quadrant lower).Managed to get on a tube at Finsbury Park straight away as well. Back at Marylebone at 10.30 even though I stayed till the end unlike a lot. 5-0 and you still go home was being sung by Arsenal suipporters to the early departees !

Mlac
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 24, 2008, 7:13 AM

Team(s): Mansfield Town

Post #14 of 65 (5958 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barnsley Dave] Where Did You Go 22-26 September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tuesday 23rd Sept..

Blidworth MW 3-1 Rolls Royce Leisure CMLS

Great game for this level...thoroughly enjoyable

Admission 3
Tea 0.50
Crowd -- head count 25

http://ontheroad2008-2009.blogspot.com/...-september-2008.html

dum spiro spero

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 24, 2008, 8:03 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #15 of 65 (5939 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mlac] Where Did You Go 22-26 September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

CIS Cup Round 3
Dunfermline Athletic v St Mirren, 2-0, Att 2186, Admission 13, Programme 2.50, Steak Bridie and Bovril 3

I always like a Cup upset so it was good to see the SPL Billy Big-Times getting horsed. They can have no complaint about the result. Dunfermline matched them in the first half and were the far superior team after half time, scoring twice midway through the half through Derek Holmes and Simon Wiles.

Three stands open for this game - around 350 Buddies in the East Stand. The Pars have acquired a boisterous yougn singing contingent who occupy the top corner of the Norrie McCathie Stand and they kept up a good atmosphere throughout the game. Fromer Par Jim 'Fatboy' Hamilton got 90 minutes of sustained abuse and did well not to react. Season tickets not valid for this one hence the reduced attendance, but I detected definite signs that a Pars revival has started after a couple of years of continual dross. The St Mirren fans remained silent throughout most of the match but finally roused themselves into an impressive chorus of 'What A Load of Rubbish' towards the end.

Full issue of the Pars programme, as they have done for every game this season, including the 'minor' Cup ties. Dunfermline also have a good club shop which is located under the main stand, through the 'Beauty Therapy Consultant' entrance.

davy c
First Team Star

Sep 24, 2008, 8:50 AM

Post #16 of 65 (5918 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Where Did You Go 22-26 September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Liverpool 2 Crewe 1 Carling Cup 3rd Rd
Admission (nowt, got a freebie through work !) Prog 3 although had I have waited that would have been free as well !
Att not checked about 30k

In the centenary stand for this, which offered a god view but not my kind of view as your too far away from the action. The Alex did ok and played some nice football in patches. Our back line was rarely tested by a very pedestrian and largely unimpressive Liverpool side. O Donnell was head and shoulders the best player on the park for the Alex. Same cant be said for Calvin Zola ! There is a reason why he was used as a sub for his previous club over 40 times Mr Holland !
Crewe could have sneaked an equaliser in the last minute but Tom Pope missed a sitter from 4 yards.
Now can i have some Non league football please

twitter @davyc1976

CollierRow96
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 24, 2008, 9:30 AM

Team(s): England & Redbridge FC

Post #17 of 65 (5901 views)
Shortcut
Re: Where Did You Go 23 September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tuesday 7.45ko

United Counties Prem - St Ives Town 1 S & L Corby 0

4 in 1 prog Att 125

Corby put their 100% record to the test against 4th place Ives and duly blew it, missing numerous chances over the 90 minutes - They would probably have come unstuck on Saturday in the FA cup anyway, in front of me again by the way, so I am looking like their unlucky mascot for the season already!

Nice set up with a big refurbed clubhouse, hot food and reasonable beer, if you can find the place through the towns one-way system.

Last new Ground :
20/11/2010, Old Barkabbeyians FC, Barking Abbey School (1085).

chrisb
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 24, 2008, 9:38 AM

Team(s):

Post #18 of 65 (5892 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CollierRow96] Where Did You Go 23 September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tuesday 23rd September
Alsager Town 0 Stalybridge Celtic 1
Att: 53
Prog: 1

Revisit for a Cheshire Senior Cup tie, settled by the only goal scored in the 7th minute. Nice friendly club recovering from last season's problems.

Owner/editor of The Football Traveller, a weekly magazine containing fixtures and much more - download a 2019/20 subscription form from our website...http://www.thefootballtraveller.com

sonofhod
Deleted

Sep 24, 2008, 9:49 AM

Team(s):

Post #19 of 65 (5881 views)
Shortcut
Re: [davy c] Where Did You Go 22-26 September [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Liverpool 2 Crewe 1 Carling Cup 3rd Rd
Admission (nowt, got a freebie through work !) Prog 3 although had I have waited that would have been free as well !
Att not checked about 30k

Crewe could have sneaked an equaliser in the last minute but Tom Pope missed a sitter from 4 yards.
Now can i have some Non league football please

Also on a freebie. Davy hope you didnt sneak out early, we brought Elding on for Pope with 4 mins left. Elding himself had a half chance in the last minute !

Jaundiced Hack
First Team Star

Sep 24, 2008, 9:51 AM

Post #20 of 65 (5876 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] Where Did You Go 22-26 September [In reply to] Can't Post or

Hungerford Town 4 Flackwell Heath 5
Hellenic Premier
Truly bizarre game where Hungerford looked as though they would win by ten wickets but then managed to score several own goals and wrapped the points up with a nice pink bow on a silver platter.
Ian Concannon scored in the first minute but Hungerford are obsessed with playing passing football from the back and painted themselves into a corner twice. Concannon completed a hat-trick as they led 3-2 at the break.
More Laurel and Hardy defending meant Concannon finished up netting all four but losing.
Food and drink available all evening, very poor wildly overpriced programme, very neat and comfortable ground, Hungerford will go close this season as I suspect this was a freak result.
Despite the Stadler and Waldorfs in the ground grizzling about the ref he had a good game, plenty of free-kicks as it was competitive but nothing silly and both bouts of macho dissent were rewarded with a yellow card.
Next Stockbridge v Warminster tonight and New Street v Downton tomorrow

wanderer
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 24, 2008, 10:10 AM

Post #21 of 65 (5856 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jaundiced Hack] Where Did You Go 22-26 September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FA Vase 2nd Qualifying Round September 23rd
Newark Town 3 - 3 Gornal Athletic (after extra time)
Admission 3 adult 1 concessions Programme 1

The best three quids worth I've had in ages. Town fought back well after going in 3 - 1 down at the interval. The equaliser came in the final minute of the 90 and Gornal were reduced to 10 men immediately afterwards. Town had several chances to avoid next Tuesday's replay, but couldn't quite finish it on the night.
For the second time in 3 seasons at Collingham there were arguments at the end of normal time, as Gornal claimed they thought it went straight to a replay. The same thing happened v Pilkington XXX and on that occasion the referee had to make a phone call to check it. At least last night's ref knew the rules.
So, Gornal next week, and the CML are still in the Vase !!!

davy c
First Team Star

Sep 24, 2008, 10:18 AM

Post #22 of 65 (5845 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sonofhod] Where Did You Go 22-26 September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was trying to make it sound more dramatic Hoddy ! It was in fact Popes last involvement (the chance he put wide) before Elding came on. What the subs must be thinking watching that clown Zola for 80 minutes is anyones guess. Thought Bailey and O Connor played ok too.

twitter @davyc1976

Mark
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 24, 2008, 11:22 AM

Post #23 of 65 (5804 views)
Shortcut
Re: [davy c] Where Did You Go 22-26 September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sleaford 0-5 Deeping
attendance: 93 (although I counted 135 in the second half!)
Admission: 5

Decent enough game on a very good pitch, with the same Deeping player scoring all 5 goals, although the outcome was effectively decided after only 20 minutes. Pleasant town, decent programme, bar & snack bar.

It's a new ground, just beyond the eastern side of the town, very similar to Barton Town OB. The only drawback is that it's a bit bland, with the only cover courtesy of two dreaded Kwik-E-Stands, seating on the halfway line and a tiny shelter behind the near goal. At least they had the wherewithal to site the dugouts on the opposite side to the main stand.

Bob L. Hatt
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 24, 2008, 12:15 PM

Team(s): Derby County, Belper Town, Derry City

Post #24 of 65 (5774 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mark] Where Did You Go 22-26 September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ampthill Town 4 Stony Stratford Town 1

SSML1

3 in with free prog

About 30 or so in attendance

Excellent game and a really good performance from the Ampthill Mob, who, according to the programme notes had been a little off colour of late. Took the lead inside ten seconds, would like to know if someone actually timed it!

Pitch in good nick, and a nice tree lined venue set in Ampthill Park, good views from the raised stand on a cool evening.

Best burger I've had all season at 1.50

Sniff my blog....

https://bobblestravels.blogspot.co.uk

leohoenig
Administrator

Sep 24, 2008, 12:25 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #25 of 65 (5765 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mark] Where Did You Go 22-26 September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hook Norton 3-1 Fairford Town - FA Vase. Addmission 4, Programme 1 Att 54 - I counted about 90, showing the number of officials the two clubs have.

On the club honours page, the record crowd was recorded on 12 December 1998 against Banbury. 244 including myself.
In the previous season, they had won promotion as runners-up of Division One of the Oxfordshire Senior League, and won the county intermediate cup.

They were County League champions in 2000 and 2001, securing a place in the Hellenic League and Division One (West) in 2002.
As a groundshare with Banbury, they spent two seasons in the Premier, before dropping back to Division One (West)

With floodlights now installed at the Bourne, this is their second season back in the Premier. Entering the ground from the Bourne, the pitch is to my left, with a new clubhouse on the other side of the field - the old one is to my right. There are three floodlight pylons on each side, although on of these is rather centrally placed at Silly Mid-On, so must be taken down during the cricket season! A professional printed programme cost 1.

Fairford has most of the possession overall in this game, but there was a difference between the teams at the ends of the field. Hooky were solid at the back, while Fairford were particularly susecptible to free kicks and corners, and it was powerful headers from central positions that meant the home side were two up at the break. They withstood early pressure before making it three midway through the second half, and although Fairford pulled one back soon afterwards, this was too little, too late.

Nice revisit, just 11 miles from home!

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3