Sports presenters mistakes

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 45 Next page Last page  View All

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 2, 2008, 12:22 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #26 of 1107 (45010 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Admittedly this was a newsreader rather than a sports presenter, but one of my favourites is Martin Lewis giving us the result from "Tannadeechee" where Dundee United were playing a Yugoslavian club in the UEFA Cup.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 9, 2008, 2:08 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #27 of 1107 (44872 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Another good one from Setanta on the normally reliable James Richardson's show the other day when he mentioned Aston Villa's surprise defeat to the Lithuanian team Zilina.
The confusion surrounding their nationality probably explains why they pinched the drinks trolley on the flight over here and drank it dry. Allegedly.

Veteran

Dec 9, 2008, 5:21 PM

Post #28 of 1107 (44856 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or

And last night even John Motson's research let him down - he said Livorno was in SPAIN !

Roman
First Team Sub

Dec 10, 2008, 4:40 PM

Team(s): Arsenal, Rocester, Brentford

Post #29 of 1107 (44815 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Veteran] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Last week's Burnley v Arsenal commentary said Arsenal hadn't lost to a lower division team since 1989 - wrong! Ask any Wrexham fan....

Also whoever was commenting claimed that one of the Arsenal lads "scored two goals on this very ground last season in the F.A. Youth Cup..." - wrong - the game was played at Accrington Stanley...

I guess they can get away with most of this sort of stuff because 99.9% of viewers wouldn't know whether they are right or wrong Unsure

jrev61

Dec 10, 2008, 8:58 PM

Team(s): None

Post #30 of 1107 (44788 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Roman] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The well-informed David Pleat (again) described Culio of CFR Cluj as a Brazilian then corrected himself and called him an Argentinian. The commentator pointed out that he is Uruguayan. 'Ah a South American' said Pleat in a 'I was right all along' manner.

jrev61

bezza
Youth Team Star

Jan 17, 2009, 11:21 AM

Post #31 of 1107 (44625 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not so much a sports presenter mistake but the chap doing the commentery for Tvs' Dancing on Ice introduced one of the contestants as " England Footballing legend Graeme la saux " - Perhaps a slight exaggeration there !

If it aint broke don't fix it

(This post was edited by bezza on Jan 17, 2009, 11:25 AM)

cope1

Jan 17, 2009, 11:54 AM

Post #32 of 1107 (44616 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I seem to remember a commentator in the 1990 World Cup on a UAE game referring to one of the emirates going down injured. I think it was tongue in cheek though.

In terms of knowledge of the laws of the game, when Arsenal beat Rotherham on pens in the League Cup a few years back Rotherham had had a man sent off meaning - as most people on here will know - that for the shoot-out Arsenal had to nominate a player to not take part. This was noticed as the tally got up to about 11/12 pens each and the commentators were beside themselves with confusion over (a) what would happen next - would Arsenal just have a free shot and (b) why the Arsenal lad who sat out didn't take a pen. Obviously they saw this as a huge oversite by the referee and all 20 other players and both managers to forget the poor lad was there...

Another laws-of-the-game one was in a Spurs-Liverpool game about 15 years ago where Liverpool had a shot which went across goal past the 'keeper - who was on his 6-yard box - and was touched in by another Liverpool striker who was behind the 'keeper. There was a defender on the line so, again, the pundits (which I think included Ray Clemence) got into a flap over the goal being disallowed for offside (it was - there was only the one defender between the scorer and the goal line when the first striker shot) and not one of them noticed the fact that the 'keeper was further out that the scorer.

cope1

Jan 17, 2009, 12:13 PM

Post #33 of 1107 (44608 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bezza] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Not so much a sports presenter mistake but the chap doing the commentery for Tvs' Dancing on Ice introduced one of the contestants as " England Footballing legend Graeme la saux " - Perhaps a slight exaggeration there !

Everything's relative. A friend of mine worked on that Cirque de Celebrity thing and I went along to watch (bloody awful!) and they had Dean Holdsworth - leotarded up to the hilt - as their football legend.

eldumpo
Youth Team Regular

Jan 19, 2009, 10:30 PM

Post #34 of 1107 (44502 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

On the Liverpool-Everton coverage earlier the commentator said that Everton had only been AWARDED 1 penalty at Anfield in the last 71 years. Where would he have got this info, as presumably the awarding of penalties wasn't tracked as such pre-Premier Lge? Is there a website or book with such stats, that someone could've derived by trawling through match reports?

buncranaboy

Jan 20, 2009, 1:46 PM

Post #35 of 1107 (44463 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eldumpo] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Setanta were on form last night then. I watched the French football review after the Liverpool-Everton game and have a guess which club was complemented thus : "Another fine win for the South Coast Club"
Monaco.................Marseilles..............Nice........???? Nope - they were talking about Toulouse !!!

buncranaboy

Feb 23, 2009, 7:40 PM

Post #36 of 1107 (44228 views)
Shortcut

Not a sports presenter as such but from the ineffable Sunday Mercury - they have finally realised after several months that Luke Moore has NOT scored enough goals to feature in the top Premiership scorers list but for the last few weeks a new and surprising name has risen up the Championship top scorers list. Step forward Leon McKenzie (Coventry City) who is listed as having netted 11 league goals (8 for Thurrock).
Well researched, sports editor.

buncranaboy

Mar 1, 2009, 4:47 PM

Post #37 of 1107 (44139 views)
Shortcut

I'm sure I spotted what may have been a deliberate mistake on last nights MOTD. At the end of the programme, Gary Lineker summarised the league table in terms of Champions League chasers, those trying to avoid the drop zone and those clubs chasing a European place ! I think these clubs should be named !
Or did that nice Gary really mean to say "the clubs involved in the race to be fifth or sixth rather than seventh cos it pays more".

............and just now in his summation of the Carling Cup Final, the fat pillock Alan Green announced that Arsenal and Everton should be grateful to Man Utd for winning the trophy as it opens up a further league place (losing finalists no longer get into Europe - phew Spurs !) to be designated as a UEFA quailfier. And this 24 hours after telling all and sundry on his phone-in that the UEFA Cup was utterly pointless.

(This post was edited by buncranaboy on Mar 1, 2009, 7:24 PM)

villahopper
First Team Star

Mar 9, 2009, 5:42 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa Bromsgrove Sporting New York Jets

Post #38 of 1107 (44074 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I'm sure I spotted what may have been a deliberate mistake on last nights MOTD. At the end of the programme, Gary Lineker summarised the league table in terms of Champions League chasers, those trying to avoid the drop zone and those clubs chasing a European place ! I think these clubs should be named !
Or did that nice Gary really mean to say "the clubs involved in the race to be fifth or sixth rather than seventh cos it pays more".

............and just now in his summation of the Carling Cup Final, the fat pillock Alan Green announced that Arsenal and Everton should be grateful to Man Utd for winning the trophy as it opens up a further league place (losing finalists no longer get into Europe - phew Spurs !) to be designated as a UEFA quailfier. And this 24 hours after telling all and sundry on his phone-in that the UEFA Cup was utterly pointless.

Yep...that sums it up

cope1

Mar 9, 2009, 8:02 PM

Post #39 of 1107 (44054 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
(losing finalists no longer get into Europe - phew Spurs !)

They never did did they?

Still, I agree that (a) he is a fat pillock and (b) he talks a load of old balls. He is another one who spends half his time talking about the UEFA Cup slagging off Spurs and Villa for not committing their best players to the competition and the other half saying how pointless it is to play in it.

buncranaboy

Apr 27, 2009, 12:28 PM

Post #40 of 1107 (43895 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Good one on SkySportsNews last night after showing the goals from Dunfermline vs Falkirk : "Even if they win the Scottish Cup Final against Rangers, Falkirk will compete in Europe for the first time next season".

No escaping it then, Bairns !

leohoenig
Administrator

Apr 28, 2009, 10:31 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #41 of 1107 (43838 views)
Shortcut

To comment (a little late) on buncranaboy's post of 1st March. The losing finalist in the League Cup has never qualified for Europe (via the League Cup). ONly the winner can do so. Hence this opens up 6th place in the league for the newly named Europa League. Everton will qualify as either FA Cup winners or runners-up (I don't think that has changed), and if they finish 5th or 6th in the league (as is likely), this opens up seventh place as well - so Fulham, West Ham, Man City and Spurs (at least) are still in competition for Europe. Whether they care or not is another matter.

Similarly, Falkirk will qualify in Scotland - even if they are relegated http://news.bbc.co.uk/...cot_cups/8019762.stm

A list of the teams qualified for Europe, frequently updated as the season progresses can be found at http://www.xs4all.nl/...t/uefa/qual2009.html

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Richard Rundle

Apr 28, 2009, 12:37 PM

Post #42 of 1107 (43819 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Everton will qualify as either FA Cup winners or runners-up (I don't think that has changed), and if they finish 5th or 6th in the league (as is likely), this opens up seventh place as well - so Fulham, West Ham, Man City and Spurs (at least) are still in competition for Europe. Whether they care or not is another matter.

Fulham may have another route, they currently top the Premier League fair play table (as at Mid-March, which was the latest one I could find). UEFA's published intermediate ranking only appears to go up to the end of December (does anyone know where to find a more up to date one?), and while England weren't then in the top three associations that qualify an extra team that way, they weren't too far off in terms of points.

--
Richard

leohoenig
Administrator

Apr 29, 2009, 12:06 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #43 of 1107 (43751 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The fair placed positions are secondary, so if England qualifies for one of the three places (and it is top three this season, without a draw), then the top team in the English fair play table, not already qualified, gets the fair play place.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Garrincha's dog
First Team Star

Apr 29, 2009, 4:16 PM

Post #44 of 1107 (43731 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Didn't someone after that dross at the Camp Nou last night describe Chelsea's performance as great?
I hope that Barcelona stuff them in the 2nd Leg. This is not any form of anti- Chelsea bias, it's just that if one team wants to play and the other just wants to prevent them then it is a sad day for the game if they ultimately succeed.

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 30, 2009, 1:12 AM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #45 of 1107 (43692 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Garrincha's dog] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

At least Chelsea know they HAVE to score at Stamford Bridge (unless they want it to go to penalties) so hopefully Barca can pick them off while they're out looking for goals. AND why did ITV assume we were all supporting chelski???

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

UKPunk

Apr 30, 2009, 11:22 PM

Post #46 of 1107 (43627 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Everton will qualify as either FA Cup winners or runners-up (I don't think that has changed)

I may be wrong Leo, but I seem to recall that the rule was changed at the end of last season. I believe the rationale behind the change was that the authorities deemed it fairer to award a European place to a club based on their league position than awarding that place to the club that failed to win the cup final.

But then again I might just be going senile. Unsure

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

MTC
Junior Team Regular

May 1, 2009, 6:18 AM

Team(s): Northampton Town; Rushden & Diamonds; AFC Wimbledon

Post #47 of 1107 (43608 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Everton will qualify as either FA Cup winners or runners-up (I don't think that has changed)

I may be wrong Leo, but I seem to recall that the rule was changed at the end of last season. I believe the rationale behind the change was that the authorities deemed it fairer to award a European place to a club based on their league position than awarding that place to the club that failed to win the cup final.

But then again I might just be going senile. Unsure

There was talk of the rule being changed, but the result was that it wasn’t.

2009/10 Competition format on UEFA.com: “The losing finalist for the domestic cup competition will still be entitled to be entered for the UEFA Europa League should the domestic cup winners qualify for the UEFA Champions League.”

buncranaboy

May 17, 2009, 8:49 PM

Post #48 of 1107 (43310 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MTC] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

"...............and after that defeat, Hamilton still aren't safe." Hmmm. One game to go and Hamilton are 3 clear of Falkirk and 1 ahead of Inverness who play each other next weekend in the final game. I wonder how Setanta think they're in danger.................
They really are the shoddiest sports broadcaster imaginable.

acmold

May 18, 2009, 10:50 AM

Post #49 of 1107 (43282 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
"...............and after that defeat, Hamilton still aren't safe." Hmmm. One game to go and Hamilton are 3 clear of Falkirk and 1 ahead of Inverness who play each other next weekend in the final game. I wonder how Setanta think they're in danger.................
They really are the shoddiest sports broadcaster imaginable.

Many people in the media never take the above into account when making statements like the above, they just assume everyone can still get 3 points from every match still to be played - real six pointers.

In the Burton v Oxford game they could not even work out which set of fans was which.

Rob North
First Team Star

May 18, 2009, 1:06 PM

Team(s): Didcot Town, Reading

Post #50 of 1107 (43272 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yesterday afternoon Setanta kept telling their viewers that Portsmouth are still at risk of relegation.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 45 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3