First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Mishi
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 13, 2009, 8:53 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #1 of 101 (41323 views)
Shortcut
Fictional football on film: Can't Post or Reply Privately

The thread from garethwrexy on comedy football films got me thinking.

How many fictional football teams have there been in films, or on television? And what grounds were they filmed at?

I'm not putting my 'thinking cap' on, but a few examples:

'Dream Team' & Harchester United.

'Ripping Yarns' & Barnstoneworth United.

Erm...The 'Frost' series featured a team called Denton United.

On 'Eastenders' a few years ago there was an Irish lad, who was a young pro with Walford United?

The series called 'The Manageress', which starred Cherie Lunghie, I can't recall the team name.

In the late seventies, can't recall the name, their was a kids programme, about a boys football team, I'm sure some of it was filmed at Chesham United.

Grounds visited: 744
Last new ground:Sutton Athleticl FC; London Hire Stadium, Hextable, Kent. (Southern Counties East Football League First Division)
Last game: Wednesday 11th September 2019: FC Elmstead 4, Lewisham Borough 1. [Southern Counties East Football League First Division]
Matches watched this season: 37
2017/18-New English grounds: 6; & foreign: 0

garethwrexy

Mar 13, 2009, 9:06 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #2 of 101 (41317 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Fictional football on film: [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

football factory

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

Dr Love
First Team Star

Mar 13, 2009, 10:58 PM

Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #3 of 101 (41299 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Fictional football on film: [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

The Shay

Two different episodes shot at the ground, which changed quite a bit in the time between them. I was in the crowd for the 2nd one - a 4-0 win against Kettering. Still the biggest Halifax win I've seen.

(This post was edited by Dr Love on Mar 13, 2009, 10:59 PM)

MattRamLives
First Team Sub

Mar 14, 2009, 5:56 AM

Team(s): Every Derbyshire team

Post #4 of 101 (41285 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

How many fictional football teams have there been in films, or on television? And what grounds were they filmed at?

I'm not putting my 'thinking cap' on, but a few examples:

'Dream Team' & Harchester United.

'Ripping Yarns' & Barnstoneworth United.

On 'Eastenders' a few years ago there was an Irish lad, who was a young pro with Walford United?

The series called 'The Manageress', which starred Cherie Lunghie, I can't recall the team name.

In the late seventies, can't recall the name, their was a kids programme, about a boys football team, I'm sure some of it was filmed at Chesham United.

Jossie's Giants? think some was filmed at Vicarage Road and some at the Baseball Ground - written by Sid Waddell?

There was the book 'Striker' which may have been adapted to telly - but I think the team was Brandon - so is that fictional?

John Mills
Reserve Team Star

Mar 14, 2009, 7:21 AM

Post #5 of 101 (41278 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MattRamLives] Fictional football on film: [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

Jossie's Giants? think some was filmed at Vicarage Road and some at the Baseball Ground - written by Sid Waddell?

Jossy's Giants (featuring Glipton Giants and rivals Glipton Grasshoppers) was indeed written by Sid Waddell, but the Watford/Derby connection is another show, Murphy's Mob set around professional club Denmore United.

I've been trying to think of the name of the team managed by Cherie Lunghi in 'The Manageress' (filmed Reading), but even Wikipedia has failed me, so I'll just add Gasforth Town from 'The Thin Blue Line'! I remember a copy of Groundtastic establishing where the latter was filmed (Polytechnic FC?), and can add that Barnstoneworth's home ground was Salts FC.

Oh, and it's Walford Town...

(This post was edited by John Mills on Mar 14, 2009, 7:26 AM)

PaulC

Mar 14, 2009, 9:05 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #6 of 101 (41274 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

A Shot at Glory featuring Robert Duvall, Michael Keaton, Brian Cox, Ally McCoist. Soundtrack by Mark Knopfler

Village team Kilnockie try to get to their first Scottish FA Cup final.

Filmed in Straiton, Dumbarton, Dumfries, Kilmarnock and Hampden.

Tivvy_Al
First Team Sub

Mar 14, 2009, 9:06 AM

Post #7 of 101 (41274 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Mills] Fictional football on film: [In reply to] Can't Post or

Over at the IMDB forums is the following with regards to The Manageress:

The programme was very careful to never name any team; always referring to "we," "us," "them," or "that lot." This allowed them free reign to tackle themes of racism, corruption, and performance enhancing drugs without worrying about being sued.

The ground used for filming was Reading FC's Elm Park.

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

MattRamLives
First Team Sub

Mar 14, 2009, 12:06 PM

Post #8 of 101 (41259 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tivvy_Al] Fictional football on film: [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

The programme was very careful to never name any team; always referring to "we," "us," "them," or "that lot." This allowed them free reign to tackle themes of racism, corruption, and performance enhancing drugs without worrying about being sued.

So it was a Spanish or Italian team then?

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 14, 2009, 12:12 PM

Team(s): Scotter United (Scunthorpe League), AFC Telford(home town club),

Post #9 of 101 (41258 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tivvy_Al] Fictional football on film: [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There was a football soap in the late 60s called 'United'. Twice weekly half hour episodes but I can't remember any more. Hopefully someone will as it's now starting to annoy me!

Where's the 'ignore this poster' button?

MattRamLives
First Team Sub

Mar 14, 2009, 12:33 PM

Post #10 of 101 (41251 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Mills] Fictional football on film: [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Jossy's Giants (featuring Glipton Giants and rivals Glipton Grasshoppers) was indeed written by Sid Waddell, but the Watford/Derby connection is another show, Murphy's Mob set around professional club Denmore United.

I've been trying to think of the name of the team managed by Cherie Lunghi in 'The Manageress' (filmed Reading), but even Wikipedia has failed me, so I'll just add Gasforth Town from 'The Thin Blue Line'! I remember a copy of Groundtastic establishing where the latter was filmed (Polytechnic FC?), and can add that Barnstoneworth's home ground was Salts FC.

Oh, and it's Walford Town...

of course it was - not sure if it was that one in particular but some used real footage - mainly for build to a goal - then cut to some actor scoring on take 27

coops
First Team Sub

Mar 14, 2009, 9:39 PM

Team(s): Tamworth

Post #11 of 101 (41240 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MattRamLives] Fictional football on film: [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Corrie Weatherfield Rovers(?) are a Conference team.

acmold

Mar 15, 2009, 1:41 PM

Post #12 of 101 (41212 views)
Shortcut
Re: [coops] Fictional football on film: [In reply to] Can't Post or

In the manageress the team was never named. Home games were at Reading and a number of away games were at Oxford.

The 1970's series filmed at Chesham was written by Kenneth Cope (Coronation St, Brookside, Randell and Hopkirk, etc). A number of players were from a team he formed himself and played in one of the local kids league around Oxford. I remember going to a Cup Final at Islip where my Aunt presented the Cup and Kenneth Copes's side were in the final.

Just found this on the net

"But it is for playing the eponymous ghost, Marty Hopkirk in Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased) that Kenneth Cope is best known. He also created the BBC children's drama series, Striker, and has twice been a restauranteur, owning 'Martha's Kitchen' in the '70s, and more recently 'L'Epicure', both in Oxfordshire.
Most recent work includes stage productions of Safe In Your Hands at the Belgrade Theatre and Ark Angel at the Wales Playhouse.
Ken lives in Oxford with his actress wife Renny Lister, whom he met and married when they worked together in Coronation Street in 1961, she played his girlfriend Jean Stark. The couple both write plays for television. They have three grown up children; Martha, an actress and two sons Mark and Nicky who perform in a band called Candy Skins and have recently released their fourth album in the USA."

zebedee
First Team Star

Mar 15, 2009, 5:44 PM

Team(s): Southport

Post #13 of 101 (41188 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Fictional football on film: [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There was a comedy about kids football called 'The Cup' on BBC2 last autumn, with some scenes filmed at Atherton LR's Crilly Park.

Early afternoon soap Doctors featured a story about a player at Letherbridge Town, who appeared to be groundsharing with Alvechurch.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Mar 15, 2009, 7:15 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #14 of 101 (41176 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zebedee] Fictional football on film: [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

How can Bostock's Cup not be mentioned to date. The story of the 25th anniversary of Bostock Stanley winning the FA Cup (using some old Sunderland footage) managed by Bertie Masson (Tim Healy - surprisingly playing a Geordie) .
The home team used Aldershot as their base although Bostock's location was never actually revealed.

The funniest football film. Bar none. Scandalously ITV have refused petitions to re-screen the programme.

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 15, 2009, 9:16 PM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #15 of 101 (41146 views)
Shortcut

And who cant forget the utterly forgettable time when a girl outshone all the blokes in Gregory's Girl.

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

southend statto
First Team Star

Mar 16, 2009, 11:26 AM

Team(s): most of my local sides

Post #16 of 101 (41117 views)
Shortcut

and what about Arsenal's opponents The Trojans in The Highbury Stadium Mystery

acmold

Mar 16, 2009, 11:29 AM

Post #17 of 101 (41115 views)
Shortcut
Re: [southend statto] Fictional football on film: [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

I think The Trojans were players from Oxford University, and other rep sides ?. I sure I read it in the history of Oxford University Football Club.

Harry Enfield's Charlie Charlie Charles sketch is a take on that film, I think.

zebedee
First Team Star

Mar 16, 2009, 11:34 AM

Team(s): Southport

Post #18 of 101 (41112 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Fictional football on film: [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

I think The Trojans were players from Oxford University, and other rep sides ?. I sure I read it in the history of Oxford University Football Club.

Harry Enfield's Charlie Charlie Charles sketch is a take on that film, I think.

I'm fairly sure that The Trojans were actually Brentford - Pegasus was the Oxford/ Cambridge unis teams I think?

southend statto
First Team Star

Mar 16, 2009, 1:14 PM

Team(s): most of my local sides

Post #19 of 101 (41099 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zebedee] Fictional football on film: [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

right on both counts. Pegasus were of course the great Oxbridge side and yes, it was footage of The Arsenal v Brentford used in the film

acmold

Mar 16, 2009, 1:55 PM

Post #20 of 101 (41092 views)
Shortcut
Re: [southend statto] Fictional football on film: [In reply to] Can't Post or

The film was years before Pegasus was formed.

The Trojans were Oxford and Cambridge players

From

http://www.screenonline.org.uk/film/id/454405/index.html

The film is a winning mixture of exciting football action and eccentric comedy, yet a measure of realism is achieved through the use of a famous location, Highbury stadium, and the presence of the championship-winning Arsenal First League Team. Legendary manager George Allison is given a speaking role, while trainer Tom Whittaker and the players also appear as themselves. The film's two matches were constructed from footage of an actual Highbury game between Arsenal and Brentford, with Brentford recast as the Trojans, and a mock-up match using the Oxford and Cambridge Blues as the Trojans for the close shots. The film opens with a replica Gaumont British newsreel, narrated by celebrated commentator E.V.H. Emmett, announcing the forthcoming match and introducing the teams. Suddenly a Trojan player jumps in front of the unfolding newsreel, and the camera slowly reveals the teams watching their onscreen selves, delightfully capturing their reactions.

sandhurstbee

Mar 18, 2009, 12:01 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #21 of 101 (41043 views)
Shortcut

Has anyone got a spare Trojans Programme they don`t want? Just a thought Wink

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

ciderjon
First Team Star

Mar 18, 2009, 8:53 PM

Team(s):

Post #22 of 101 (41007 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colpic] Fictional football on film: [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
There was a football soap in the late 60s called 'United'. Twice weekly half hour episodes but I can't remember any more. Hopefully someone will as it's now starting to annoy me!

The star forward was called 'Zak',that's how Kevin Hector got his nickname.....

Last new Belgian beer: Lupulus (formerly Trois Fourquets) Triple 8.5% bc (808)

acmold

Mar 18, 2009, 9:40 PM

Post #23 of 101 (40999 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ciderjon] Fictional football on film: [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To

Showing my age, on around the same time as the Newcomers. George Layton of the Doctor series was in United !.

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 18, 2009, 10:18 PM

Team(s): Scotter United (Scunthorpe League), AFC Telford(home town club),

Post #24 of 101 (40996 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Showing my age, on around the same time as the Newcomers. George Layton of the Doctor series was in United Now we're talkin! Mark Kingston was in it and played the captain, Danny South. There was a centre back called Greg Harris and I'm sure that the trainer (Horace?) was played by the late Harold Goodwin who was in just about every war film ever made. Anyone else remember any snippets?

Where's the 'ignore this poster' button?

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Mar 19, 2009, 1:37 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #25 of 101 (40970 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MattRamLives] Fictional football on film: [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

So it was a Spanish or Italian team then?

As I recall, a lot of the location shots were in Bergamo at Atalanta's stadium. I think...........

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3