Home: Non-League Football Discussion: General Discussion:
Best Non Pyramid League in London?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 32 Next page Last page  View All

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 29, 2009, 11:27 PM

Post #26 of 779 (43741 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kenningwellfc] Best Non Pyramid League in London? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for adding to the thread. Good to see your views here. I mentioned your club before as you have a good track record in LFA competitions. Given that you guys are regular LFA competition entrants, which teams/leagues have always been strong in your experience (other than Aris whom everyone agrees were probably been the best Sunday team in London for 4-5 years).

Also, who does the international in your team play for?

kenningwellfc
Junior Team Sub

Oct 30, 2009, 10:27 AM

Post #27 of 779 (43716 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stevegraze] Best Non Pyramid League in London? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hi Steve.

One of our guys made his debut for Grenada in the summer. We also have a guy who plays in the second division in Finland, then comes back and plays for us in their off-season. One other player is in the second division in USA and makes a guest apearance for us every now and then. Almost all of our players who have the usual list of pro-clubs they were at as juniors, plus quite a few play Saturdays too.

We lost to North West Neasden (from the Maccabi Southern Football League) in last seasons cup. Although we played poorly on the day, they were very organised and obviously had a lot of players who play Saturdays.

I have to say that one of the other quality teams is Baldon Sports. They were our fierce rivals when we were in the London and Kent Border League. They have done very well in both the London and Kent County Cups in recent years. They are a very aggressive side but again have a lot of know-how, organisation and guys who play Saturdays too.

We have our first match in this years competition next week against Catford Cricket Club from our very own Oprington and Bromley League. Should we win that we will play New Salamis who seem to be a very strong side.

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 30, 2009, 12:10 PM

Post #28 of 779 (43701 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kenningwellfc] Best Non Pyramid League in London? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for the response. Good luck in your next match. If you get through, watch out for New Salamis. They are from the same league as Aris....

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Nov 3, 2009, 3:52 PM

Team(s): Edmonton Rovers (Sunday League) ...and whoever I film for !

Post #29 of 779 (43637 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stevegraze] Best Non Pyramid League in London? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

New Salamis and Aris are the two best teams in the Cypriot (KOPA) Sunday League at the moment, but interestingly, Aris are in the London F.A. Sunday Intermediate Cup this season as opposed to the L.F.A. Sunday Challenge Cup. (They have changed their name to Tripimeni-Aris).
In recent seasons, the London F.A. have pretty much allowed teams to enter whichever Cup they want, instead of instructing the best sides to enter the Sunday Challenge Cup.

Thankfully, my team are not due to meet Tripimeni-Aris just yet, but if we beat Nacional De Londres (a Portuguese Team ?) in the next round, we will then be playing Yavruvatan, who are the top team in the Turkish Community League. Yavruvatan should definitely be playing in the Sunday Challenge Cup as they will almost certainly be fielding a whole team of Ryman League players.
Likewise Greengate (from the Essex Sunday Corinthian League) always go in the London F.A. Sunday Intermediate Cup, yet they are the best team in their League, they enter the Essex F.A. Sunday Premier Cup and also the F.A. National Sunday Cup. I expect a few of their players are well-known in East London/Essex Non-League circles ?

There are even teams in the London F.A. Sunday Junior Cup that will be fielding a whole host of players from Steps 4-7 of the pyramid, so it can be very strong all round.

http://www.hughesvideoservices.co.uk
http://www.edmontonrovers.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/hughesvideo

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 4, 2009, 10:27 AM

Post #30 of 779 (43568 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HughesVideo] Best Non Pyramid League in London? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I tend to find that very successful teams try to win the clean sweep of the LFA Sunday Cups. They don't like going into the Challenge Cup until they have won the Junior or Intermediate Cup. You will notice that several of the entrants for this year's Challenge Cup are previous winners/finalists of other LFA competitions:

e.g. Clapton Rangers, Baldon Sports, Kenningwell Utd, New Salamis, Eureka, Albion Manor, North West Neasden.

In fact Aris won the Intermediate Cup twice in a row before they entered the Challenge Cup. Albion Manor and Eureka entered the Challenge Cup only after winning the Intermediate Cup. Clapton Rangers are aiming for history because they won the Junior Cup in 2008, the Intermediate Cup this year (the first team in LFA history to win the Juior and Intermediate Cups in successive years) and they have now entered the Challenge Cup.

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Dec 14, 2009, 8:57 PM

Post #31 of 779 (43477 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
We have our first match in this years competition next week against Catford Cricket Club from our very own Oprington and Bromley League. Should we win that we will play New Salamis who seem to be a very strong side.

I notice here that Kenningwell lost 3-2 to New Salamis on Sunday.
How did the match go ?

I also see that Clapton Rangers are through.

Edmonton Rovers managed to beat Nacional De Londres 6-5 (AET) in the London F.A. Sunday Intermediate Cup.
It was a cracking match and highlights are showing here on You Tube.
We are playing Yavruvatan at Home in the Third Round this Sunday. As expected, Aris (Tripimeni-Aris) got through to the Quarter-Finals quite easily and they are going to be the team to beat in that competition.

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 15, 2009, 12:02 AM

Post #32 of 779 (43448 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HughesVideo] Best Non Pyramid League in London? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

First of all, congrats to Edmonton Rovers for their victory. 6-5 AET sounds like a classic game! What league were your opponents from?

Shame that Kenningwell did not get through. Would have been great to see them advance. Congrats once again to Clapton Rangers for beating Panthea in the LFA Challenge Cup. Panthea are a team from what we all agree is a very strong league - KOPA Cypriot League. Panthea won that league in 07-08 and were runners up last season. Shows how good they are and what a great job Clapton did in beating them.

I actually think that the most dangerous teams left in the LFA Sunday Challenge Cup competition might be New Salamis (also of the KOPA league) and Baldon Sports - the defending champions. I think Kenningwell know Baldon well. Good luck in the next round to Edmonton and Clapton Rangers (who have suffered a massive player exodus - losing their Captain and two star strikers).

(This post was edited by stevegraze on Dec 15, 2009, 12:13 AM)

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Dec 15, 2009, 9:25 AM

Post #33 of 779 (43411 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
First of all, congrats to Edmonton Rovers for their victory. 6-5 AET sounds like a classic game! What league were your opponents from?

Nacional De Londres are one of the top teams in the South-West London based Sportsmans Sunday League, although I believe they actually play their Home matches at Dulwich Hamlet F.C. They were formerly known as Deborah United and changed their name for this season. They reached the Final of the LFA Sunday Challenge Cup in 2006-2007 and only lost on penalties (to Akincilar). I don't know whether any of their players play for Ryman League or Step 5 clubs on Saturdays, but some of their forwards and attacking midfielders were definitely good enough to play at that level. The main reason for such a high-scoring match was that both goalkeepers had a bit of a 'mare' and our 38-year-old centre-forward Conor McGovern (ex-Hoddesdon Town & St. Margaretsbury) was 'on fire' ! Cool

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 9, 2010, 6:36 AM

Post #34 of 779 (43280 views)
Shortcut
LFA Sunday Challenge Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Congratulations to Clapton Rangers again. Through to the LFA Sunday Challenge Cup semi-final after beating Carrib Club.
Cope1, you'd better change your London Sunday League ranking co-efficients! This season's results have dramatically changed perception of the relative strengths of the various leagues. You've heard what Hughesvideo has said about how strong the KOPA league is with many of the players from that league playing senior football. Just goes to show what I said in the thread title about the great strength of the Hackney and Leyton league. I've lost count of the number of KOPA league teams recently beaten by teams from the H & L league.

I will pat myself on the back for predicting 3 of the 4 semi-finalists several months ago: Baldon Sports, Clapton Rangers and New Salamis. Cool

Clapton Rangers are aiming for history. Won the LFA Junior Cup in 2008, Intermediate Cup in 2009 (which no one had ever done in consecutive seasons)...if they win the Challenge Cup in 2010, that will be unprecedented.

But they've got a VERY tough game in the semis-against the cup holders, and team that won the cup last year - Baldon Sports. I highly recommend that game to the groundhoppers on this forum.

(This post was edited by stevegraze on Feb 9, 2010, 7:32 AM)

darney
Junior Team Star

Feb 21, 2010, 4:17 PM

Post #35 of 779 (43161 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stevegraze] LFA Sunday Challenge Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not much mention of any of the top South London sunday league sides like AFC Royals, Brixton United, Groundhoppers, Peckham Town, Beckenham Town 95 (all in the Metropolitan league) or Charlton United, Woolwich 90 (in the Woolwich and Eltham Alliance) Charlton United who face Aris in the Intermediate cup semi next sunday. That will actually be a top game to watch as Charlton United have several Kent league and Ryman league players as well but I personally think that Aris will beat them (just my own feeling) but nevertheless it is highly recommended. Woolwich 90 also have a semi in the junior cup the following sunday and they have an equally tough match against Tristars and Deloittee. However there are decent sides in south London as well as the East London and Kopa leagues.

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Feb 22, 2010, 7:37 PM

Post #36 of 779 (43060 views)
Shortcut
Re: [darney] LFA Sunday Challenge Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Charlton United beat Enfield Royals (from the Waltham Sunday League) 5-3 and I know that Enfield Royals were very impressed by them.
We got knocked out in the same round by Yavruvatan. Highlights are showing here on You Tube.
We hadn't played for 9 weeks because of waterlogged & frozen pitches and it showed.
Yavruvatan were a bit dodgy at the back but I would expect them to get through to the Final (again)...against Aris.

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 22, 2010, 9:28 PM

Post #37 of 779 (43036 views)
Shortcut
Re: [darney] LFA Sunday Challenge Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

To be fair Darney, I did give praise to Baldon Sports and Kenningwell Utd - BOTH of whom are South London sides!

For those on this forum that are not used to high level Sunday football, I highly recommend watching the Baldon Sports -v- Clapton Rangers semi-final on March 7. Should be a cracker. Several senior/Saturday players on show for both teams, and both teams have been in LFA cup finals for the past 2 years. Baldon are aiming for their 3rd successive LFA Sunday Challenge Cup final, and Clapton won the LFA Sunday Intermediate Cup last year and the LFA Sunday Junior Cup the previous year. It is a shame this is not the final because it would be a worthy final.

This is a bit like Man U and Barca playing each other in the Champions League SEMI-final. Would have been great if both Baldon and Clapton got to their 3rd successive final and had an almighty tussle in the final to determine London's undisputed best team.

darney
Junior Team Star

Feb 23, 2010, 9:51 AM

Post #38 of 779 (42995 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stevegraze] LFA Sunday Challenge Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hi Hughesvideo I have been following Charlton's progress in the intermediate cup mainly because my team has some history against them and I wanted to see how they progressed and I am somewhat surprised that they have got so far because although they are a decent side they are particularly dodgy at the back and the keeper they have is suspect but I think they believe they have enough firepower to outscore anyone. I will be an interested observer on sunday against Aris as I have never seen them play but looking at their pedigree and results they do seem to be an extremely strong side and my prediction is that it will be a high scoring game probably something like 5-3 to aris. By the way I had a look at some of your videos and they made interesting viewing. It looks like you definitely could have beat Yarvatan on the chances you had, was their team completely ryman league players do you know?. Stevegraze yes I acknowledge that Baldon and Kenningwell were mentioned but I just wanted to highlight that there were a few other decent sides that haven't won any of the LFA competitions in recent times but I am sure they are capable and I think the likes of Groundhoppers and Caribb have gone out narrowly to some of the other sides that you mentioned. Do either of you know anything about Tristars and Deloitte (London Accountants league) as a side I hear that they are very good?

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Feb 23, 2010, 12:56 PM

Post #39 of 779 (42956 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
It looks like you definitely could have beat Yarvatan on the chances you had, was their team completely ryman league players do you know?.

I had a look at their teamsheet and recognised a couple of names, but when I put them into Google Search it only mentioned them playing for the Turkish Community League Rep Team. Their Manager told me that as far as he was aware, none of his players play in the Ryman League on Saturdays.
I think what happens with the top Turkish and Greek Cypriot Sunday League teams is that they are funded by various businesses from within their communities (depending what village or professional club back in Turkey/Cyprus that the club is named after), so a lot of Ryman League-quality players stop playing on Saturdays and play in the Turkish Community Football Federation or the KOPA (Cypriot) League on Sundays instead...where they will be given expenses and other perks the same as if they were playing in Ryman Division One North or the Spartan South Midlands League.
When we played Aris a few years ago, they told me they trained twice a week and their players were on x amount per man to beat us !

What I have found interesting about all these top sides we have played in the LFA Sunday Challenge or Intermediate Cups over the past decade or so is that they are very attack-minded and often slow and disorganised at the back. Maybe that's because players feel more free to express themselves in Sunday football whereas clubs in the Pyramid are 'scared' (if thats the right word !?) of losing for financial reasons. Yavruvatan and Nacional De Londres both had lightening fast and skilful forwards, but they were nowhere near as good defensively as some of the teams we have played in the (Mercury) Waltham Sunday League this season, most of whom are Hertfordshire F.A. affiliated as the League is based in Waltham Cross/Cheshunt. Most of the players we come up against in our League seem to be more experienced.
Nacional de Londres looked a very young side.

I am pretty sure that if East Herts, Cheshunt Corinthians or Spenny Rangers were all London F.A. affiliated, they would most definitely get through to the Semi-Finals of the top two LFA Sunday Cup competitions. A lot of matches in our Division are very low-scoring compared to results in the LFA Sunday cups.

I don't know anything about teams in the London Accountants League. Do they normally play their League matches in midweek ? We have come up against teams from the Islington Midweek League before in the Sunday Junior Cup.

(This post was edited by HughesVideo on Feb 23, 2010, 1:07 PM)

darney
Junior Team Star

Feb 23, 2010, 1:47 PM

Post #40 of 779 (42933 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HughesVideo] LFA Sunday Challenge Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

No they play their matches on sunday's and all that I have been able to find out about them is that they are a 'university type side' which to my knowledge university level is quite a good standard. I noticed that a team in the same accountants league as them called 'EY International'(well I assume that it is the same team as the name is the same), also played in the London Intermediate cup but lost to Greengate 4-0 in the third round I think it was and from what you said before Greengate are a pretty useful side. That therefore doesn't really tell me anything and I won't be able to get to see them play before we play them as we have games everyweek until the semi. That's why I wanted to know if anyone knew the standard of their league.

That's interesting to know about the Turkish league players getting incentives/paid etc as I had always heard that was the case but never really knew how that worked for a whole sunday side.I myself ( I am not turkish) have played for a turkish side in the past (not in the Kopa or TCFF leagues) and the manager was quite willing to pay the top turkish player to play for us instead of him working on a sunday afternoon, but only pay him as he was rated so highly by them (+ he played in the kent league on a saturday as well).

My current side hasn't entered the LFA competitions over the last few years but did this year and even though we are a premier division side in our league we definitely aren't strong enough for the challenge cup but possibly could enter the intermediate one next season but there appear to be a heck of a lot of decent sides in that, as well as some that shouldn't be in there. What I don't get is why the challenge cup has so few teams in it? Anyway hopefully we can get to the final and put a south London team on the winners list!

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Feb 23, 2010, 3:32 PM

Post #41 of 779 (42904 views)
Shortcut

We entered the LFA Sunday Challenge Cup for a couple of seasons when we were in the Premier Division of our League about 8 years ago.
We lost 2-1 to St. Anselms (from the Sportsmans Sunday League) in the First Round at our first attempt and they went on to win the competition ! We were actually 1-0 up with five minutes to go ! I can remember them having a few Carshalton Athletic players playing for them.
The following season we lost 5-1 Away to Dees (from the Mordern Sunday League). They also went on to reach the Final where they lost to Aris. One of their players was Leon Smith, who I think is now playing for Wingate & Finchley. I presume it's the same bloke ? Very fast and direct right-winger/forward.

When we entered the LFA Sunday Challenge Cup, we were told the criteria was that you had to be in the Premier Division of our League and that the pitch had to be a certain size with separate changing rooms for both teams and the Referee...and showers that work !
Our Home ground met that criteria, so we were o.k., but a couple of other teams in our Division (including Trent Park (Arkay) went in the Intermediate Cup instead. I presume they were told to.
The good thing about the Challenge Cup is that Assistant Referees are appointed to every game. We could afford to pay them their fees, but maybe some clubs can't, which is why they enter the Intermediate instead ?

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 23, 2010, 10:28 PM

Post #42 of 779 (42854 views)
Shortcut

1) HughesVideo...I watched the Yavruvaratan video and some of their players......don't look very Turkish! On a serious note, Albion Manor beat them on the way to winning the LFA Sunday Intermediate Cup a couple of years ago, but had many good things to say about Yavruvaratan's ability and fitness. Yavruvaratan also lost 0-4 in last year's Intermediate Cup final - to Clapton Rangers. Video highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRL7KRE1mKc

Hughesvideo, your Edmonton Rovers do have some bad luck with cup draws....always being drawn against the finalists! Aris, Dees, St Anselm's, Eureka, Yavruvaratan....

2) Darney, yes there are plenty of good teams in south London. Please don't think I don't rate the south London sides. But if you look at LFA finals over the past 5-10 years, you will notice that the finalists tend to emerge from the same leagues over and over (KOPA Cypriot, Turkish, Hackney & Leyton) and the same teams repeatedly get to the final (Aris, Baldon Sports, Clapton Rangers, New Salamis etc). There is also a team called North West Neasden A from the Jewish League who have not reached an LFA final, but have come close.

We probably have lots of great sides in London we don't know about because they don't enter LFA competitions. One club that comes to mind is Lapton who have won 7 (yes SEVEN!) consecutive titles. If teams finishing 20 points behind them can win LFA competitions, imagine what they'd do if they entered....e.g. Clapton Rangers, Albion Manor and Eureka win LFA competitions even though they are not champions of their own league and finish in mid table (in fact Clapton and Albion Manor were not even Premier teams when they won LFA cups!)

3) I played against Deloitte MANY years ago. So my knowledge of them is probably very out of date.

4) As for higher scoring games on Sundays, what I find is that as players get older, they move to the back to prolong their playing careers. I've played against high quality opposition with whippersnapper livewire 21 year olds up front, but with 40 year old former midfielders/strikers coming to the end of their careers at centre half. They still have the touch, vision, anticipation and technique, but little mobility. This is why these teams score a lot of goals, but concede lots too.

(This post was edited by stevegraze on Feb 23, 2010, 10:41 PM)

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Feb 24, 2010, 10:28 AM

Post #43 of 779 (42807 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
We probably have lots of great sides in London we don't know about because they don't enter LFA competitions. One club that comes to mind is Lapton who have won 7 (yes SEVEN!) consecutive titles.

That's a very good point Steve.
I have noticed Lapton winning the Hackney & Leyton Sunday League year after year. Why don't they enter the LFA Cups ? Seems a strange one to me.

I wonder what the reason is that the London F.A. allow clubs to opt out ? The Herts F.A. (and I think Essex & Middlesex) all insist on mandatory entry into their Sunday Cup competitions as part of the affiliation fee. They also have a strictly adhered-to policy where Premier Division teams go in Sunday Senior Cups, Division One & Two teams go in Sunday Intermediate Cups, and lower Division teams go in the Junior Cup/Trophy competitions. It's a much fairer way of doing it, whereas the London F.A. seem to have a free-for-all with teams from Premier Divisions being allowed to go in the LFA Sunday Junior Cup if they want. I know it's difficult for them to administer because some Leagues only have one or two Divisions, but surely they should know by now who the best Sunday teams in London are and seed them appropriately. If the likes of Aris, Yavruvatan and Greengate were in the LFA Sunday Challenge Cup (where they should be), it would give my team and Enfield Royals a much better chance of getting through to the Final in the Intermediate Cup.

Good point about older players playing at the back in Sunday football. That is most certainly the case in the Premier Division of the (Mercury) Waltham S.L. where they are all comfortable on the ball, well-organised and don't make too many mistakes, but they are vulnerable against pace. One of our defenders, Paul Woolston (ex-Hertford Town, Harlow Town & Sawbridgeworth) is now 39 and plays exactly like that. Not being able to train any more because of work & family commitments doesn't help though.

(This post was edited by HughesVideo on Feb 24, 2010, 10:29 AM)

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 24, 2010, 7:28 PM

Post #44 of 779 (42773 views)
Shortcut
Lapton FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Lapton
Lapton are something of a phenomenon. They gained consecutive promotions every season straight from the Hackney and Leyton League Div 4 into the Prem - winning the title by a mile each season on their way. They have now won the Prem 3 times in a row, and have won 7 consecutive league titles. This season they lost their first game for 2 years! In fact, in the 7 years they've been in existence, they have only lost about 6 games of the 150+ matches they've played.

Lapton don't enter LFA competitions because their players don't like the travel/hassle of getting up at the crack of dawn on Sundays to travel to far flung corners of Middx, Kent etc. Plus lots of their players play for senior clubs on Saturdays. The coach actually told me that he'd retire after winning 5 consecutive titles and turn the club into a fully semi-pro Saturday team. But they've not been able to do that bc so many of their players already have Saturday clubs.

LFA Rules

You are spot on. It would be great if LFA cups were more strictly regulated and e.g. the Challenge Cup was reserved for Prem teams, and Prem teams were barred from the Intermediate Cup. It would be great every season to see Aris, Baldon, New Salamis, Clapton and Lapton slugging it out. Otherwise it is hard to gauge how good teams really are. e.g. Aris looked invincible for years and destroyed everyone - winning LFA Cups 3 years in a row, until Albion Manor suddenly entered the Challenge Cup and beat them in the first round.

I guess club finances are an issue too. If you don't have a sponsor, it is hard to convince 15 guys to travel halfway across London on a cold Sunday morning at their own expense.

Have you thought about entering Edmonton Rovers in the Junior Cup? That way you can avoid the giant trophy machines from KOPA, Hackney and Leyton, Turkish League etc.

Baldon and Clapton
I'm actually thinking of going along to watch the Baldon -v- Clapton Rangers semi-final. It will basically be a semi-pro/Ryman league match for free! Both teams have several semi-pro players on their books:

Baldon

Jason Dolby - Ramsgate (Ryman)
Ryan Dolby - Bromley (Conference)
Callum O'Shea - Cray Wanderers (Ryman Premier) - ex Charlton Athletic

Clapton Rangers
Ashley Forbes Taylor (Ryman League Cheshunt)
Bradley Drisdale (Ryman League - Ilford)

Courtneay Laidley - Harrow Borough (Ryman Premier)
Ade Cole - Cheshunt (Ryman)

That is not an exhaustive list. Those are just the ones I know about off the top of my head.

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 25, 2010, 10:29 AM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #45 of 779 (42727 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
To be fair Darney, I did give praise to Baldon Sports and Kenningwell Utd - BOTH of whom are South London sides!

For those on this forum that are not used to high level Sunday football, I highly recommend watching the Baldon Sports -v- Clapton Rangers semi-final on March 7. Should be a cracker. Several senior/Saturday players on show for both teams, and both teams have been in LFA cup finals for the past 2 years. Baldon are aiming for their 3rd successive LFA Sunday Challenge Cup final, and Clapton won the LFA Sunday Intermediate Cup last year and the LFA Sunday Junior Cup the previous year. It is a shame this is not the final because it would be a worthy final.

This is a bit like Man U and Barca playing each other in the Champions League SEMI-final. Would have been great if both Baldon and Clapton got to their 3rd successive final and had an almighty tussle in the final to determine London's undisputed best team.

Forgive me if it's been mentioned and I've missed it but could you confirm the kick off time and venue for the Baldon Sports v Clapton Rangers semi final on March 7th please. I'll try and get along to that, I'm fairly new to the Sunday League scene, having watched some of the youtube footage it looks like good stuffSmile!

darney
Junior Team Star

Feb 25, 2010, 12:23 PM

Post #46 of 779 (42709 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] LFA Sunday Challenge Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I would like to see the Baldon v Clapton game myself as well because I have never seen either side play but I understand that it will be a top game, unfortunately i have an important game myself that day unless that game is an afternoon kick off I can't attend, does anybody know what time the kick off is? But I re-iterate again that the Charlton United v Tripimeni Aris match this sunday will be equally as high level and probably full of goals as well and it is an 11am kick off for those interested.

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Feb 25, 2010, 2:34 PM

Post #47 of 779 (42690 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stevegraze] Lapton FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Have you thought about entering Edmonton Rovers in the Junior Cup? That way you can avoid the giant trophy machines from KOPA, Hackney and Leyton, Turkish League etc.

The problem with the LFA Sunday Junior Cup is that a lot of weak sides from the lowest Divisions of inferior Leagues enter and that's when the stereotypical image of Sunday League football actually rings true. If you are a Premier or Division One side, you get easy 10-0 wins which can actually be quite boring to play in, you come up against players with beer guts who want to have a fight, and worst of all, you are up against players who don't know how to tackle properly.
In the (Mercury) Waltham Sunday League, we very rarely have any serious injuries in the top three divisions because the players are virtually all ex-Senior Saturday players who are very good technically and are now playing for fun. It's still hard and competitive, but fair.
In the lowest division of our League though, we get several games abandoned every season because of serious injuries caused by clumsy overweight players with poor technique. Invariably it's because players are not fit enough and sharp enough to get out of the way.

Our players would definitely rather play against teams of a similar standard and have a good clean game, and as a Division One club in the MWL, the LFA Sunday Intermediate is where we should be. The team we played in the First Round of this season's Intermediate Cup, Russellers, are in one of the lower Divisions of the Metropolitan Sunday League, so they should have entered the LFA Sunday Junior Cup instead. They were a good bunch of lads but very unfit and we beat them far too easily. (Highlights are here).

(This post was edited by HughesVideo on Feb 25, 2010, 2:58 PM)

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 25, 2010, 3:19 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #48 of 779 (42678 views)
Shortcut

Sorry to come back with further questions but could you confirm the venue for the Charlton United v Tripimeni Aris tie?

I had been planning to go to the LFAS Intermediate semi final between Eltham Town and Yavruvatan but this game is in serious doubt as the pitch at Starbuck Close is waterlogged.

Possibility of a double header with the FA Sunday Cup quarter final between Hazelhurst and Sungate scheduled for 2pm at Carshalton Athletic.

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Feb 25, 2010, 5:41 PM

Post #49 of 779 (42663 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] LFA Sunday Challenge Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Sorry to come back with further questions but could you confirm the venue for the Charlton United v Tripimeni Aris tie?

According to this on Football Mitoo, it's at a place called Meridian Sports in Charlton. 11.00.a.m. kick-off. There is a link to a map of the venue on that fixtures page.

Can't see very many Sunday League games going ahead in the London area this weekend though. Most of the pitches are all flooded at the moment. Frown

(This post was edited by HughesVideo on Feb 25, 2010, 5:44 PM)

darney
Junior Team Star

Feb 25, 2010, 6:38 PM

Post #50 of 779 (42647 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HughesVideo] LFA Sunday Challenge Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That's correct it is at Meridian Sports and social club in charlton, charlton park lane, SE7 but be careful if we get a down pour tomorrow or saturday as they call all the games off if you even sneeze on the pitch. Which is pretty annoying because at the ground opposite (charlton park) it is never and I mean never called off.

With regards to your side entering the Junior cup (Hughesvideo) I can only relay my own experiences over the years that I do think that you do get decent sides at that level but obviously it is down to the luck of the draw. This season we have played lower league sides that are hammering their own division but we beat them 5-0 going on about 8 or 9 and they seemed to give up fairly easily which was disappointing but in the latter rounds(normally from round 5 onwards) you always end up playing decent sides and indeed there have been sides that have been knocked out this season that I am pretty certain are better than ours. I don't really see that many beer-bellied type teams about these days not in our leagues anyway, but you do get the odd annoying player that runs into you like a lunatic(deliberately) when the ball is not even in your vicinity.With regards to teams entering the Intermediate that clearly aren't good enough I do think that they should be re-directed to the junior cup because there are a lot of sides who actually genuinely believe they are world beaters because they win division 5 of the met league (they don't seem to realise or understand that there are Levels that they are not even aware of) or something when the reality is far removed from that.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 32 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3