Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Restructuring Discussion:
Midland Alliance

007Dale
First Team Star

Apr 15, 2010, 9:36 PM

Post #1 of 8 (3920 views)
Shortcut
Midland Alliance Can't Post or Reply Privately

Given how well the top 2 in the division have done this year, would it not be fair for both Barwell and Coalville Town to be promoted this year at the expense of reprieving teams at step 4 finishing in the bottom 2.

I'm not saying we should relegate any team that didn't finish in the relegation zone, but on the basis we'll lose a fair few of the teams (Merthyr, Chester, Farsley etc) would step 4 not benefit from a fresh injection rather let teams like Bracknell, Harlow, Willenhall potentially survive.

Sarumio
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 16, 2010, 8:42 AM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #2 of 8 (3825 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Midland Alliance [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Given how well the top 2 in the division have done this year, would it not be fair for both Barwell and Coalville Town to be promoted this year at the expense of reprieving teams at step 4 finishing in the bottom 2.

I'm not saying we should relegate any team that didn't finish in the relegation zone, but on the basis we'll lose a fair few of the teams (Merthyr, Chester, Farsley etc) would step 4 not benefit from a fresh injection rather let teams like Bracknell, Harlow, Willenhall potentially survive.

Ah but you've conveniently picked on the worst 22nd placed teams that have virtually 0% chance of avoiding relegation this season.

I'd quite happily agree that Coalville Town should be promoted if there was a risk that any of the three you mentioned could be reprieved, but they won't, so I don't!

The likes of Walton Casuals, Leyton, Barton Rovers and Ossett Albion are still making a right fist of their respective relegation scraps, especially the Walton.

Dynamo
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 16, 2010, 10:18 AM

Team(s): Shepshed

Post #3 of 8 (3790 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] Midland Alliance [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Rumour has it that if Willenhall survive as a club , they may get a reprieve due to a club asking for demotion from the same league.

Andy Mac
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 16, 2010, 11:27 AM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 8 (3761 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dynamo] Midland Alliance [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Rumour has it that if Willenhall survive as a club , they may get a reprieve due to a club asking for demotion from the same league.

Did the rumour state which club?

Well done particularly to Barwell but also to Coalville, however the rules should not be changed just because a second-placed club happened to get 90 points (or whatever) in a season. What a ridiculous notion.

Edit: Willenhall failed their groundgrading, so would have got relegated irrespective of their finishing position.

(This post was edited by Andy Mac on Apr 16, 2010, 11:34 AM)

007Dale
First Team Star

Apr 16, 2010, 12:46 PM

Post #5 of 8 (3715 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy Mac] Midland Alliance [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I guess it comes down to whether a club that finishes second in the Midland Alliance will be more competitive than a team that finishes 21st or 22nd in the leagues above? I personally think we should stop reprieves and promote more clubs in the first instance. At the end of the day if you finish in the relegation zone, you should expect to be relegated. You can't really have any complaints if you are relegated.

Richard Rundle

Apr 16, 2010, 1:10 PM

Post #6 of 8 (3694 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I guess it comes down to whether a club that finishes second in the Midland Alliance will be more competitive than a team that finishes 21st or 22nd in the leagues above? I personally think we should stop reprieves and promote more clubs in the first instance. At the end of the day if you finish in the relegation zone, you should expect to be relegated. You can't really have any complaints if you are relegated.

Alternatively, if you don't finish in a promotion place you don't have any complaints if you don't get promoted.

I believe they call it "swings & roundabouts"

If you open the door to Coalville Town in 2nd, you then have to open the door for all the other 2nd place finishers in the Step 5 leagues.

--
Richard

Sarumio

Apr 16, 2010, 1:40 PM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #7 of 8 (3680 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Yes, but the reprieves being issued are because clubs above them have overspent and gone to the wall.

Its not the likes on Walton Casuals' fault that Farlsey and King's Lynn etc couldn't finish the season. If they, like any other club struggling at Step 4 or Step 3, spent like mad, they could all realistically make it to the Conference. But they don't and the reprieve is the just reward they get for playing by the book.

Its a case of cheats never prosper, and the good guys coming out the better party in the end!

Mad Bill
First Team Star

Apr 18, 2010, 1:21 PM

Team(s): Hyde United FC; Lancashire CCC; Buffalo Bills;

Post #8 of 8 (3525 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] Midland Alliance [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Yes, but the reprieves being issued are because clubs above them have overspent and gone to the wall.

Its not the likes of Walton Casuals' fault that Farlsey and Kings Lynn etc couldn't finish the season. If they, like any other club struggling at Step 4 or Step 3, spent like mad, they could all realistically make it to the Conference. But they don't and the reprieve is the just reward they get for playing by the book.

Its a case of cheats never prosper, and the good guys coming out the better party in the end!

I can't go along with all of that. It implies, for a start, that overspending is usually successful on the field. It isn't. And it implies that clubs at the bottom of the table are the deserving poor. Some are, but others are just badly run.
I never tire of saying that even if every club was administered in an exemplary way it would produce a single extra promotion place of one less relegation spot.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3