Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Restructuring Discussion:
Sussex County League - Ground Gradings

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 18, 2010, 9:42 AM

Post #1 of 24 (6602 views)
Shortcut
Sussex County League - Ground Gradings Can't Post or

I went to one game in it yesterday, dropped off a fellow traveller at another. From various chats with people we ascertained that only 7 grounds in the top division currently have the required grading for step 5 next season, and one of those is Whitehawk. A number in the 2nd division fall short of the required step 6 grading. A number of clubs are struggling off of the field, the match my fellow traveller went to in the top division had only two home officials present, one the team manager and one person in the clubroom. The attendance at kick-off was three, it peaked at 17. The ground in question has no chance of getting the required grading, they await their fate.

dseagull
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 18, 2010, 3:33 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town, Spurs, Brighton

Post #2 of 24 (6540 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Sussex County League - Ground Gradings [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Looks like just one; Mile Oak, who lost 4-2 at Whitehawk yesterday - will go down.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/8102461.Just_one_to_go_down_from_County_League/

The full article quotes a League Official (Steve Nealgrove), so I'm imagining (and hoping!) it is correct. At present, we at Hailsham are working on the finances and fundraising to get a stand in over the summer.

Check out the Hailsham Town website at http://www.hailshamtownfc.org.uk

You can also follow The Stringers on Twitter; http://twitter.com/hailshamtownfc/

ianh
First Team Star

Apr 18, 2010, 6:04 PM

Post #3 of 24 (6497 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dseagull] Sussex County League - Ground Gradings [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

how much covered accommodation do you have at present?
and if there are 7 grounds in the division that have the facilities for grade F, how many have floodlights?
are Mile Oak 1 of the 7 that satisfy requirements and if not how did they get in the vase?
sorry for all the questions, just curious

dseagull
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 18, 2010, 6:13 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town, Spurs, Brighton

Post #4 of 24 (6494 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ianh] Sussex County League - Ground Gradings [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Covered accomodation for 200 at present.
All grounds in County 1 have floodlights.
Mile Oak are not one of the ones which satisfy.

Hope that helps!

Check out the Hailsham Town website at http://www.hailshamtownfc.org.uk

You can also follow The Stringers on Twitter; http://twitter.com/hailshamtownfc/

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Apr 19, 2010, 9:19 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #5 of 24 (6350 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Sussex County League - Ground Gradings [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I posted an update to the original thread in the General section. 11 Teams in Division 1 have the correct grading and 3 of those 11 have a Ryman League Grading. If Whitehawk are promoted to the Ryman League then Eastbourne Town will come back to the Sussex County League. Of the top 4 in Division 2 only 4th placed Sidley have a Division 1 Grading and 2 of the top 4 in Division 2 do not have a Division 2 Grading this includes Worthing Utd who have seats and lights but i have been told other parts of the ground do not meet the required Division 2 Grading. Only 1 other team in Division 2 has a Divison 1 Grading and that is Lancing.

Barbie
First Team Regular

Apr 20, 2010, 9:27 AM

Team(s): Rye United RIP, Barry Town Utd

Post #6 of 24 (6307 views)
Shortcut
Re: [burgesshillbee] Sussex County League - Ground Gradings [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It appears that this has all sparked from an article in The Argus which has misconstrued the situation by failing to understand the difference between RELEGATION & DEMOTION.
Because of the way grant funding works (you can only get funding for projects at the level you're at) clubs in the promotion places in Div2 can get promoted without a Div1 grading, as long as they have plans in place to get up to Div1 standard in the next season.
What appears to be going on is that clubs in relegation zone of Div1 will be reprieved if they meet the Div1 ground standards and clubs above who do not meet the standard will be DEMOTED not RELEGATED.
The clubs that come up will have to meet the standards within a year or will be automatically DEMOTED the following year.

Ropemaker

Apr 23, 2010, 3:59 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #7 of 24 (6177 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barbie] Sussex County League - Ground Gradings [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
It appears that this has all sparked from an article in The Argus which has misconstrued the situation by failing to understand the difference between RELEGATION & DEMOTION.
Because of the way grant funding works (you can only get funding for projects at the level you're at) clubs in the promotion places in Div2 can get promoted without a Div1 grading, as long as they have plans in place to get up to Div1 standard in the next season.
What appears to be going on is that clubs in relegation zone of Div1 will be reprieved if they meet the Div1 ground standards and clubs above who do not meet the standard will be DEMOTED not RELEGATED.
The clubs that come up will have to meet the standards within a year or will be automatically DEMOTED the following year.

As I understand it, no suitable grading by March 31 2010 = no promotion this season.

The whole grading saga is unnecessary and a farce.

But to effectively allow promoted teams an extra 12 months to get their grounds in order would be the most illogical of all (if it were true).

Surely a team "relegated" due to ground grading (i.e. finishing outside the bottom three) under such circumstances would be equally entitled to 12 month grace like the "promoted" team?

So who would be relegated?

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Kernovian
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 23, 2010, 5:59 PM

Team(s): Yeovil Town FC

Post #8 of 24 (6147 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] Sussex County League - Ground Gradings [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

But to effectively allow promoted teams an extra 12 months to get their grounds in order would be the most illogical of all (if it were true).

Surely a team "relegated" due to ground grading (i.e. finishing outside the bottom three) under such circumstances would be equally entitled to 12 month grace like the "promoted" team?

This IS how it works throughout many Step 5's, if not all of them.

Remember, teams already at Step 5 have had their 'years grace' and may have failed to use it.

The reason why the promotions will happen is to enable those promoted to access grant schemes available only to Step 5's and higher.

When they go up, they're expected to take full advantage by applying for and receiving such valuable grants, raising the rest of the dosh required for their grading improvements themselves... and then doing those improvements.

So, that's why it happens so.

Inherited by AngusGF

leohoenig
Administrator

Apr 23, 2010, 6:00 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #9 of 24 (6147 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] Sussex County League - Ground Gradings [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

No, this is not such a farce. There is a general rule that a team can be promoted on achieving a minimum standard (which is often the standard for the next level down), and then given a specified time period to put their ground in order. This is generally one year, but for certain works on joining the Football League, a club has a three year grace period.

The clubs currently at the higher level have had time (generally more than one year) to reach the standard, so it is not unjust to demote them. They knew they were at risk. So the lowest clubs without the correct grading will get demoted and replaced by clubs whose grounds are no better, but these clubs will have only 12 months to get their ground up to standard of they too will be demoted.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Sarumio

Apr 23, 2010, 7:16 PM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #10 of 24 (6113 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Sussex County League - Ground Gradings [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Oh for the love of all things sacred, whatever happened to just playing football and the best team won and the worst went down etc etc, every thread mentions gradings, results mean F all come the lottery of the AGM, every table is irrelevant because the clubs at the foot have better grounds blah blah blah, why go through the charade of playing football, give them all a year off and just publish league tables in May based on who's ground is the best! Then when all the clubs are in the right division based on how super dooper their ground is, we can get rid of promotion and relegation, and only elect clubs into the division above when they put more seats in their ground than a team in the division above with the fewest!

Really getting sick and tired of all this ****.

UKPunk

Apr 23, 2010, 8:49 PM

Post #11 of 24 (6086 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] Sussex County League - Ground Gradings [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Oh for the love of all things sacred, whatever happened to just playing football and the best team won and the worst went down etc etc, every thread mentions gradings, results mean F all come the lottery of the AGM, every table is irrelevant because the clubs at the foot have better grounds blah blah blah, why go through the charade of playing football, give them all a year off and just publish league tables in May based on who's ground is the best! Then when all the clubs are in the right division based on how super dooper their ground is, we can get rid of promotion and relegation, and only elect clubs into the division above when they put more seats in their ground than a team in the division above with the fewest!

Really getting sick and tired of all this ****.

Someone decided that 'spectator comfort' was the be all and end all when it comes to allowing clubs promotion. Crazy

What about the 'comfort' I'd like, which is basically the right to stand at matches rather than be forced to sit on a seat that leaves me with backache and with such minimal leg room that my knees are pressed against the seat in front of me for the duration of the match leaving them stiff and sore?

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

sandhurstbee

Apr 24, 2010, 9:31 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #12 of 24 (6009 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Sussex County League - Ground Gradings [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have little sympathy for the clubs in the Sussex county League, or any other come to that, as they have known for years that these gradings were going to happen and have done little about it. Several teams have continued to pay players more than the club could logically afford to gain promotion then moan because their facilities are not up to standard. Many then seek a Ground Share often at a club Miles away from their traditional base which inevitably loses local support. Clubs should recognise their limitations and adjust accordingly.

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

Mishi

Apr 25, 2010, 12:50 AM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #13 of 24 (5930 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Sussex County League - Ground Gradings [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

"Clubs should recognise their limitations and adjust accordingly."

I couldn't agree more. In fact I'd say that ground sharing SIMPLY FOR THE SAKE OF PROMOTION should be banned!

If clubs lose their grounds, then they should naturally groundshare, or if they're a new club without a base, then I suppose they would have to too.
But surely I can't be the only one who thinks that iy's just not right for a club to leave their home base just to go up, even if it means they can only stay at the level they are because of nearby NIMBYs &/or the local political will changes?

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

Kernovian
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 25, 2010, 12:33 PM

Team(s): Yeovil Town FC

Post #14 of 24 (5871 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Sussex County League - Ground Gradings [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

But surely I can't be the only one who thinks that iy's just not right for a club to leave their home base just to go up, even if it means they can only stay at the level they are because of nearby NIMBYs &/or the local political will changes?
I sort of agree Mishi, but I would allow ground-sharers to take promotion, as long as they've been at their particular ground for a minimum of two full seasons beforehand.

Inherited by AngusGF

Barbie
First Team Regular

Apr 27, 2010, 11:28 AM

Team(s): Rye United RIP, Barry Town Utd

Post #15 of 24 (5740 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Sussex County League - Ground Gradings [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I have little sympathy for the clubs in the Sussex county League, or any other come to that, as they have known for years that these gradings were going to happen and have done little about it. Several teams have continued to pay players more than the club could logically afford to gain promotion then moan because their facilities are not up to standard. Many then seek a Ground Share often at a club Miles away from their traditional base which inevitably loses local support. Clubs should recognise their limitations and adjust accordingly.

Problems in Sussex are often to do with planning departments rather than desire.
Latest word now is that Rye may not go up after the Local Authority refused planning permission for a concrete path!
Football Club have locked Cricket Club out of the pavilion (Cricket Club are tenants of the football club) as they appear to have possibly had a hand in the matter.

sandhurstbee

Apr 27, 2010, 12:50 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #16 of 24 (5718 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barbie] Sussex County League - Ground Gradings [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

All is fair in Love and War Wink

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

suedehead
Junior Team Star

Jun 30, 2010, 9:17 PM

Team(s): Nott'm Forest & Forest Green Rovers

Post #17 of 24 (5092 views)
Shortcut

I couldn't see any postings on this... has the Sussex County League revealed it's constitution yet?

Ta!

suedeheaduk.com for my annual football books!

VP

Jun 30, 2010, 10:09 PM

Post #18 of 24 (5062 views)
Shortcut
Re: [suedehead] Sussex County League - Ground Gradings [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I couldn't see any postings on this... has the Sussex County League revealed it's constitution yet?

Ta!

It's listed in a new thread now. Smile

Sussexhopper
First Team Star

Jun 30, 2010, 10:11 PM

Team(s): Worthing Brighton Burnley

Post #19 of 24 (5059 views)
Shortcut
Re: [suedehead] Sussex County League - Ground Gradings [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Fixtures out already for Div 1 & 2. Div 3 not out yet but the league welcomes newcomers Ferring and Barnham FC

Saturday 7th Augusts

Arundel v Sidley United
Crawley Down v Pagham
Crowborough Athletic v Wick
East Grinstead Town v Peacehaven & Telscombe
Hailsham Town v Lingfield
Redhill v Chichester City
Ringmer v Three Bridges
Selsey v Rye United
Shoreham v Eastbourne United Association
Hassocks - no game requested; St. Francis Rangers spare

Division 2 (kickoff 3.00pm)
Lancing v Bexhill United
Oakwood v Clymping
Southwick v Little Common Albion
Steyning Town v Littlehampton Town
Storrington v Rustington
AFC Uckfield (Wealden) v East Preston
Westfield v Midhurst & Easebourne United
Worthing United v Loxwood
Mile Oak - no game requested; Seaford Town spare

suedehead
Junior Team Star

Jun 30, 2010, 10:32 PM

Post #20 of 24 (5042 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Sussex County League - Ground Gradings [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks!

VP

Jun 30, 2010, 10:35 PM

Post #21 of 24 (5039 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Thanks!

And just for you, I've put AFC Uckfield first aphabetically in Div 2. You wouldn't want to get them mixed up with Uckfield Town would you? Wink Smile

suedehead
Junior Team Star

Jun 30, 2010, 11:25 PM

Post #22 of 24 (5004 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Sussex County League - Ground Gradings [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

HAHA! As if I would...!! Tongue

Ashtree RockBee
First Team Star

Jul 1, 2010, 1:01 PM

Team(s): Ashford Town (Middlesex), Bognor Regis Town, Brentford

Post #23 of 24 (4887 views)
Shortcut

This should probably be on a different thread but, talking of groundshares, have Westfield been able to return to the Parish Field, or are they groundsharing next season?

Steelback
First Team Star

Jul 1, 2010, 1:08 PM

Team(s): Northamptonshire Steelbacks : Peterborough United : San Francisco 49ers

Post #24 of 24 (4883 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ashtree RockBee] Sussex County League - Ground Gradings [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

They returned home to the Parish Field at the end of last season, one of 5 I need to complete the excellent Sussex League

‘Informative’ Posts Only, by order of the Forum KGB

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3