Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Restructuring Discussion:
R.T.Harris Oxford City F.A. League 2010/11

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 20, 2010, 3:27 PM

Post #1 of 6 (4252 views)
Shortcut
R.T.Harris Oxford City F.A. League 2010/11 Can't Post or

Premier Division: Corner House, Cowely Crusaders, Nuffield Arms, Oxford Irish Res, Rose Hill.

Division One: Community All Stars (new club), Fairview, Inter Oxford, North Oxford "A", Quarry "09" Res, Tetsworth, The Golden Ball (returning after a year or two out of league - I think), Union Street.

The clubs had been given the option of one division, though as the AGM was last week and these are updated lists I presume they have gone with the above.

All clubs are based in and around Oxford except for Tetsworth which is on the A40 a few miles south east of the city. Bargain Hunt has been filmed at the Antiques Centre which is on the opposite side of the road to the ground.

League Website @ http://www.leaguewebsite.co.uk/rtharrisleague/Home

jimmyjazz
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 20, 2010, 3:47 PM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 6 (4243 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] R.T.Harris Oxford City F.A. League 2010/11 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

With just 10 first XI's is it only a matter of time before this league is absorbed by the Oxfordshire Senior? It would be a shame of course but with the decline in works teams it does seem that town leagues are becoming a thing of the past.

acmold

Jun 20, 2010, 7:22 PM

Post #3 of 6 (4191 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jimmyjazz] R.T.Harris Oxford City F.A. League 2010/11 [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
With just 10 first XI's is it only a matter of time before this league is absorbed by the Oxfordshire Senior? It would be a shame of course but with the decline in works teams it does seem that town leagues are becoming a thing of the past.

To be far it's been like this for a number of years, as I say there is little or no travelling. I think even if there were only 7 or 8 teams they might keep going playing each other 3 or 4 times.

There was a rumour last year that it was going to merge with the Witney League, but that league did not want to travel beyond the western edge of Oxford.

Can quite see Tetsworth moving to the Aylesbury League in the future.

Rico
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 20, 2010, 7:33 PM

Team(s): Oxford Utd

Post #4 of 6 (4186 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] R.T.Harris Oxford City F.A. League 2010/11 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Another reason that the clubs (in wht witney league) especially wouldnt have wanted to join up with the oxford clubs is the disciplinary records of the oxford league clubs.

There is a history of these teams turning up at witney clubs in both the Junior Shield and 6 a sides (notably at Carterton) and causing problems....fighting etc
Not just teams from this league but oxford based

acmold

Jun 20, 2010, 7:55 PM

Post #5 of 6 (4175 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rico] R.T.Harris Oxford City F.A. League 2010/11 [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Another reason that the clubs (in wht witney league) especially wouldnt have wanted to join up with the oxford clubs is the disciplinary records of the oxford league clubs.

There is a history of these teams turning up at witney clubs in both the Junior Shield and 6 a sides (notably at Carterton) and causing problems....fighting etc
Not just teams from this league but oxford based

Think many of those players may well now be playing for teams in the Oxfordshire Senior League this coming season.

When I went to AC Finstock v FC Chequers one local was telling about a game in the Witney League that had 14 minutes of added time in the first half and then ended in a mass brawl.

On the six-a-sides subject was there not one at Minster a few years ago when a well known Professional player was sent off and gave a false name.

Problems also occur in the Oxford City Junior League as some players are not registered and are ringers. The problem is eveyone knows they are ringers, including the referees. My mate who was a referee booked a player in a game and told him, don't even to bother telling who you think you are, I've known you since you were 8, so your proper name is going in the book. I was watching the game and had to explain to the sec of the club he was playing for not only was he actually suspended but as he had played in the Hellenic League all season he could not claim Junior status, and was not allowed to play in the league. I've been to City League meetings and the league sec at the time openly stated he knew ringers were being played, refs knew ringers were being played, but what could anyone do about it.

No team will ever match the "short" lived Beckley side who manged less than one game in the Banbury District and Lord Jersey, which was abandoned with the police being called and the away goalkeeper being knocked out cold.

There has been an advert in the Oxford Mail from the Oxford Sunday League stating they are thinking of starting up again. That's the league that ran out of referees !.

Then a few years back we had the mystery players from the Bicester area who managed to register undera number of different names, so when they were suspended in one name they went and played under another name. One always wore a hat and odd socks when he played. I actually met a couple of high ranking officials from one league who knew of the problem but the O.F.A said they could not find a way round it. I think this is why photo registration cards now appear to be coming in for many leagues.

acmold

Jul 25, 2010, 1:37 PM

Post #6 of 6 (3988 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] R.T.Harris Oxford City F.A. League 2010/11 [In reply to] Can't Post or

From League website

"A late application has been received from a team situated in Ewelme. The team is called Shepherd Hut (Ewelme) FC, although the application is late I am sure that you would welcome any new clubs to the league.
As I have already stated it is my aim to work more closely with the clubs, which is why I would personally recommend that you would all accept the Shepherds Hut into the league. To attract more teams to the league we may very well have to expand our "catchment" area and to be honest it would be the likes of Shepherds Hut and Tetsworth who would be doing the most travelling"

Ewelme is about 13 or 14 miles south of Oxford just north of Wallingford. Though always being in Oxfordshire many of the clubs from that area now tend to play in the North Berks League.

A few years ago Ewelme were very successful in local football. Ewelme means place at the source of a river, the village is famous locally for its watercress. The Shepherd Hut which is a pub in the village and it's name it derived from the fact the area had many sheep in years gone by and that the area around Ewelme though not on the Cotswold's supplied much wool to large industry there a couple of hundred years ago.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3