Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: All Other Football Interests: All other football:
Peter Crouch

Casual-Corinth
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 24, 2010, 12:34 AM

Post #1 of 4 (1123 views)
Shortcut
Peter Crouch Can't Post or Reply Privately

Can anybody explain why Peter does not get picked for the starting line up, his goal scoring record is far better than anybody else in the squad, especially if one looks at minutes on the pitch per goal scored. Surely he should get preference over Wayne Rooney.

E-DUOBUS-UNUM

Corinthian-Casuals Football Club, member of the Isthmian League.
A club rich in history and proud of its traditions

Dutchmans
Youth Team Sub

Jun 24, 2010, 8:21 AM

Post #2 of 4 (1097 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Casual-Corinth] Peter Crouch [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I agree Crouch & Defoe with boy Rooney coming off the bench.

Red Adder
Youth Team Star

Jun 24, 2010, 10:48 AM

Post #3 of 4 (1074 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dutchmans] Peter Crouch [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Crouch has scored a lot of his goals against relatively week teams - including his hairing pulling assisted one against T&T at the last WC (suprisingly we don't hear much of that, unlike every dodgy scored against us). That said I can forgive him a lot when his reply to the Mag question "what would you be if not a footballer ?" was "a virgin".

Kernovian
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 24, 2010, 11:21 AM

Team(s): Yeovil Town FC

Post #4 of 4 (1060 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Red Adder] Peter Crouch [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Crouch has scored a lot of his goals against relatively week teams - including his hairing pulling assisted one against T&T at the last WC (suprisingly we don't hear much of that, unlike every dodgy scored against us). That said I can forgive him a lot when his reply to the Mag question "what would you be if not a footballer ?" was "a virgin".

That is undoubtedly true, however over the last 18-months or so I've noticed the boy has actually become able to 'play a bit', demonstrating astounding feet skills for such an ungainly set of biomechanical levers!

The traditional problem with playing a Crouch or a Heskey is that it immediately encourages the defence and midfield to abandon their own skills and just hoof the ball upfield to the tall man, which works to an extent with a Rooney to lay off a successful pass to, but ultimately is single-dimensional route-one stuff. The team needs to be inculcated into not doing this, or to only occasionally do this, with plenty of movement up and down both channels.

England always work far, far better utilising the wings properly. Assuming Crouch can be deployed as a ball player (and one which defenders find really awkward to hold - its those gangling legs!) and is played with Rooney and Gerard placed centrally, the team can function beautifully. Pop Defoe and Cole in the channels with Barry as holding midfielder behind Lampard in a 3-1-4-2 formation... Terry, Cole & (probably) Johnson would complete the outfield, presuming the latter is able to keep his position properly throughout the game, whilst still doing his special thing.

On the bench would be Lennon, Milner, Carragher & sundry back player(s), possibly Heskey also.

That's how I'd do it anyhow. So I'd definitely be playing Crouch in the first team!

Inherited by AngusGF

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3