Home: All Other Football Interests: All other football:
Sports presenters mistakes

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 45 Next page Last page  View All

rainjar
First Team Star

Jul 18, 2010, 6:35 PM

Post #76 of 1110 (45978 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
... it is in fact the Barclay's Premier League or without sponsorship the FA Premier League.

You're right of course. From now on, I will use FAPL as the abbreviated form. It doesn't matter if many won't get what I'm on about. That may often be the case in any event.

Football Insights

(This post was edited by rainjar on Jul 18, 2010, 6:35 PM)

villahopper
First Team Star

Jul 19, 2010, 10:19 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa Bromsgrove Sporting New York Jets

Post #77 of 1110 (45922 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rainjar] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

EPL is the way many popular computer games refer to the Premier League and therefore many people who play these games say EPL. As indeed do many foreign fans. So please dont just suggest its the damn Yanks again as they get the blame for quite enough as it is...ie Soccer !!

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 19, 2010, 11:55 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #78 of 1110 (45914 views)
Shortcut
Re: [villahopper] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Didn't ITV have a programme called Soccer Sunday ?

Tim
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 20, 2010, 11:00 AM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #79 of 1110 (45869 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Star Soccer, as you should well know.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/...usel/StarSoccer.html

(This post was edited by Tim on Jul 20, 2010, 11:04 AM)

southend statto
First Team Star

Sep 25, 2010, 6:09 PM

Team(s): most of my local sides

Post #80 of 1110 (45291 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

another classic cock-up from BBC Five Live's Irish presenter Firday night. Following the FA Cup, he was interviewing Julian Dicks, the Grays Athletic manager. He mentioned their cup-tie away at Bury Town and siad that's one hellava long way to go and asked if they were travelling up tonight or travelling on Saturday (today)!!!!!!
Julian was very polite and said they would travel on the day as it's only an hour and a half journey.
Research or common knowledge would be nice.
This irish guy gives me so many laughs; he so needs to know about the sport and geography (see my earlier posting).

cope1

Sep 26, 2010, 4:20 PM

Post #81 of 1110 (45223 views)
Shortcut
Re: [villahopper] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
EPL is the way many popular computer games refer to the Premier League and therefore many people who play these games say EPL. As indeed do many foreign fans. So please dont just suggest its the damn Yanks again as they get the blame for quite enough as it is...ie Soccer !!

Soccer is an English word anyway, not American. If you look back at historical reports from the UK you see the term used quite frequently.
Given that American football is far more widely played in the US it's common sense to use the name soccer for soccer (unless you want to use the full name of 'association football' but I can imagine how well that would go down with broadcasters). We say 'gridiron' or 'American football' over here, neither of which are the proper name - what's the big deal?

villahopper
First Team Star

Sep 26, 2010, 4:35 PM

Post #82 of 1110 (45220 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Soccer is an English word anyway, not American. If you look back at historical reports from the UK you see the term used quite frequently.
Given that American football is far more widely played in the US it's common sense to use the name soccer for soccer (unless you want to use the full name of 'association football' but I can imagine how well that would go down with broadcasters). We say 'gridiron' or 'American football' over here, neither of which are the proper name - what's the big deal?

Exactly. Soccer was used in Public Schools as a shortened version of association football. Just as Rugger was used as a shortened version of Rugby Football. But for some reason people seem to think it is an American saying

cope1

Sep 26, 2010, 8:24 PM

Post #83 of 1110 (45194 views)
Shortcut

I'm with you (and Stephen Fry) on this - the Yanks get a bad press. Of course there are idiots over there, but there are a fair few here too. And it's hardly like the Yanks have a copyright on the egocentric view of the world. Then again I generally believe the best way to view any country is to look for the best bits.

villahopper
First Team Star

Sep 26, 2010, 9:03 PM

Post #84 of 1110 (45182 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I'm with you (and Stephen Fry) on this - the Yanks get a bad press. Of course there are idiots over there, but there are a fair few here too. And it's hardly like the Yanks have a copyright on the egocentric view of the world. Then again I generally believe the best way to view any country is to look for the best bits.

Well I have just come back from 10 days there. What always amazes me when I am in the States is the fact that despite it having a reputation of being such a violent country everyone is so polite and friendly.
As a customer in any establishment you are treated with respect and professionalism as opposed to the grunting sullen Yoofs you usually get here. And you dont feel like you are getting ripped off at every turn.
And to be able to go to a sporting event where fans all mix in together and enjoy the game without any macho posturing is brilliant

cope1

Sep 26, 2010, 9:46 PM

Post #85 of 1110 (45177 views)
Shortcut

I haven't ever felt it had a reputation as being violent - other than in certain hot spots - it's more that people perceive Americans as thinking the US is the centre of the universe and having no interest in the rest of the world. I have never met an American who met that description. I'm sure there are some, but then are Brits like that too. Most of the Americans I've met are envious of my living in the UK, so close to so many other countries with their different cultures. They are a far cry from the militaristic red necks portrayed by the press all cheering on Bush. In fact, possibly my favourite memory of the US was in Vegas in 2004 where we asked our cab driver what he thought of Bush. His response? "Bush sucks donkeys' dicks!"

buncranaboy

Oct 19, 2010, 11:46 PM

Post #86 of 1110 (44864 views)
Shortcut

Not a commentators mistake as such but Theo Walcott said in his post match interview that Arsenal hadn't won the CL for 4, 5 or 6 years so it was time again. I'd always thought he was reasonably intelligent.............

However Ruud Gullit later topped him by glorying in Ajax's CL win because Holland need the points for their co-efficient what with there only being one Dutch club in the CL. So has Enschede been taken by the Germans? Again?

Edit : and add all the nonsense about Chelsea and Arsenal only needing one point to get through. Ten points is not certain qualification.

(This post was edited by buncranaboy on Oct 20, 2010, 1:08 AM)

leohoenig
Administrator

Oct 20, 2010, 6:14 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #87 of 1110 (44817 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Edit : and add all the nonsense about Chelsea and Arsenal only needing one point to get through. Ten points is not certain qualification.

This needs to be taken on a case basis.

Chelsea have nine points, Spartak Moscow 6, O'M 3 and Zilina none.
If Chelsea get a single point against Spartak, while O'M win in the next round of matches, then Spartak would need a further four points to finish ahead of Chelsea (assuming they lose the last two games). By beating Chelsea 3-0 and drawing with Spartak, O'M would then finish second and Chelsea would go out on 10 points.
If Chelsea only get one more point, and it is against O'M, then Chelsea are through - there being no way in this case for either O'M or Zilina to finish above Chelsea
If Chelsea only get one more point, and it against Zilina, then O'M and Spartak can both end on 12 points.

SO Chelsea do only need one point to get through - but only if the point is gained at the Velodrome in Marseille

The mathematics is the same for Arsenal - a point gained in Braga guarantees their qualification

The dynamic of Group G is different, Real Madrid have nine points against four each for Milan and Ajax. Real are away to Milan and Ajax in the next two games - and a point in either game means they are through - but if they only get ten points by drawing at home to Auxerre, it is possible for both Milan and Ajax to end on 11.

For Bayern, again on 9 points, all three of their rivals have one point each. This means if Bayern only get one more point, then a three way draw on 10 points is still possible.

The probabilities favour a team on ten points though.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

leohoenig
Administrator

Oct 20, 2010, 11:18 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #88 of 1110 (44794 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Group A - should Inter reach ten points by beating Spurs again, then they will be through. In that case Spurs would be limited to 10 points, (but could not overtake Inter), while a winner from Bremen v Twente could reach 11 points by beating Spurs and Inter. Clearly if either the winner of Bremen v Twente or Spurs reach 10 points, they must also get through

If however, Spurs beat Inter then both can reach 10 points by beating the loser of the Bremen-Twente game, while the winner of said game can win the group by winning their final two games, so 10 points is not enough!

In Group B, Lyon have won three games, and will qualify if they pick up a point at Benfica in two week's time.

Ten points is not enough for Manchester United, if they reach the target by beating Bursaspor while Valencia beat Rangers. Both Valencia and Rangers could still finish above United by winning the last two games. However, even if United lose in Turkey, they can be certain to go through by beating the loser of the Valencia-Rangers game, (either will do if Valencia and Rangers draw).

There is still one unlikely route to get three teams to 10 points in Group D. It depends on Barcelona's only remaining points being gained against the loser of the Rubin Kazan - Panathanaikos clash. The winner would have to win all their remaining games, while Kobenhavn would need to win another game after beating Barcelona. [This is of course, mathematics - I think you would get some fine odds from a bookmaker if you wanted to bet these results actually happening]

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

dottirofhod

Oct 20, 2010, 11:20 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #89 of 1110 (44793 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My brain hurts . Good night .

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 109 / 92 / 17 / 4 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 18 / 11 / 2019 . Belgium top 5 tiers 0-0-0-(0-1-0)-(0-1-0-2) / Holland top 4 tiers - 0-0-0-(0-0) / Lux top 2 tiers 0 -2. England top 10 tiers - 0. Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

southend statto
First Team Star

Oct 28, 2010, 9:34 PM

Team(s): most of my local sides

Post #90 of 1110 (44657 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

great cock-up on the tv the other night. on bbc east they were giving out the 1st round FA cup draw on screen, so in big black letters came the draw: "Leiston or Derby v."!! hahaha

Isaac

Nov 2, 2010, 11:04 AM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #91 of 1110 (44588 views)
Shortcut
Re: [southend statto] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The best one I heard was from that 'football expert' Alan Mullery on Talksport, he proudly boasted how his Brighton team had ended Nottingham Forest's 42 game unbeaten run, err it was actually Liverpool that ended it with a 2-0 win at AnfieldSlySlySlySly!

I phoned the station but they didn't correct him on air.Shocked

TonyD
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 3, 2010, 2:12 PM

Team(s): Sutton United, Crystal Palace

Post #92 of 1110 (44512 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I rather liked Ian Dowie's comment on Sky last night about "feathered ruffles", which led to a good deal of mickey-taking!

buncranaboy

Nov 3, 2010, 2:35 PM

Post #93 of 1110 (44508 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TonyD] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Or David Pleat waffling on last night about how Inter now had the easier run-in because they only had to play FC Twente and Werder Bremen.

As opposed to Spurs who have to play...........

I'm sure it made sense to him Crazy

buncranaboy

Mar 14, 2011, 7:47 PM

Post #94 of 1110 (44024 views)
Shortcut

I must have been at a loose end as I watched and listened to Andy Townsend's summation of the Stoke v West Ham QF last night. He praised Stoke and said they went about their business in an honest manner.
This was immediately followed by clips showing their goals - Huth's free header from a Delap throw when Upson couldn't get close to him because Walters impeded his path with no intent to play the ball himself, then Huth pulled Hitzlsperger out of the wall for Higginbotham to fire through the gap and score the winner. Between these, he also featured a blatant dive from Etherington to earn a penalty which he missed but none the less........
Either the definition of the word "honest" has changed, or Townsend's a complete twat. Answers on a postcard..............

Isaac

Mar 16, 2011, 10:21 AM

Post #95 of 1110 (43973 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I must have been at a loose end as I watched and listened to Andy Townsend's summation of the Stoke v West Ham QF last night. He praised Stoke and said they went about their business in an honest manner.
This was immediately followed by clips showing their goals - Huth's free header from a Delap throw when Upson couldn't get close to him because Walters impeded his path with no intent to play the ball himself, then Huth pulled Hitzlsperger out of the wall for Higginbotham to fire through the gap and score the winner. Between these, he also featured a blatant dive from Etherington to earn a penalty which he missed but none the less........
Either the definition of the word "honest" has changed, or Townsend's a complete twat. Answers on a postcard..............

Each to their own opinion but I thought both Stoke goals were fine and that Etherington was fouled from behind (not by Scott Parker) for the penalty, the West Ham goal though clearly shouldn't have stood.

jrev61

Mar 16, 2011, 6:52 PM

Team(s): None

Post #96 of 1110 (43925 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The commentator at that game said that the winners would join Birmingham, and Man Utd in the Semi-Finals. Funny I thought Blues had already lost to Bolton.

jrev61

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 18, 2011, 2:13 PM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #97 of 1110 (43871 views)
Shortcut

Only saw a bit of the Stoke v West Ham game, but did hear Jim Beglin giving his 'learned' opinion about Obinna getting booked that 'if he (Obinna) had stayed down a bit longer (having been injured in committing the foul), the ref might have shown him more compassion and not booked him'.

Hmm, the ref changing his mind about booking a player because he lies on the floor after a poor challenge (for which he reached for his card straight away). That would be setting a great example, wouldn't it? Thankfully I've not seen a ref change his mind under those circumstances.

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (964) Recreation Ground Pumpherston JFC 2-0 Fauldhouse United
With FC United: 135
On the agenda:
19/11 FC United v Glossop NE
20/11 Selston v Heather St Johns

Isaac

Mar 18, 2011, 2:27 PM

Post #98 of 1110 (43865 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That is a common ploy though by players in the hope that the ref will think they've suffered enough already.

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 18, 2011, 2:28 PM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #99 of 1110 (43864 views)
Shortcut

It'd be even more common if a ref seemed to factor it in!

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (964) Recreation Ground Pumpherston JFC 2-0 Fauldhouse United
With FC United: 135
On the agenda:
19/11 FC United v Glossop NE
20/11 Selston v Heather St Johns

Isaac

Mar 18, 2011, 2:53 PM

Post #100 of 1110 (43860 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm sure it works sometimes!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 45 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3