Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: General Discussion:
Best Non Pyramid League in London?

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 32 Next page Last page  View All

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Jan 23, 2011, 7:55 PM

Team(s): Edmonton Rovers (Sunday League) ...and whoever I film for !

Post #251 of 787 (33031 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HughesVideo] Best Non-Pyramid League in London ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
In the LFA Sunday Intermediate Cup, I predict the Semi-Finalists will be F.C. Bickley, Norton, Brotherhood (from the KOPA League) and Charlton United.

Today's Quarter-Final results...

Convoys 3 Brotherhood 1
Greengate 4 FC Bickley 0
Morrisons 2 Norton 0

I couldn't be more wrong ! Crazy

Millwall Elite v. Charlton United is this coming Sunday (30th Jan.). Looks like Charlton United have only played one League match (and lost it) since they beat us in the last round. They could well get turned over here.

That is a very impressive result for Greengate. They must be the favourites now.

http://www.hughesvideoservices.co.uk
http://www.edmontonrovers.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/hughesvideo

(This post was edited by HughesVideo on Jan 23, 2011, 7:56 PM)

darney
Junior Team Star

Jan 25, 2011, 8:07 AM

Post #252 of 787 (32952 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HughesVideo] Best Non-Pyramid League in London ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I noticed that as well Hughsie!! I think you may get the clean sweep as well because as you say Millwall Elite may well turnover Charlton United as well. Also according to the report on Greengate's website they absolutely dominated their match with FC Bickley so they look pretty strong to go all the way. So far there have been 3 home wins and it could well be 4/4. I think at this stage of these LFA competition's 'Home advantage' does count psychologically somewhat if not because you don't have a home crowd behind you!. It happened in the quarters of the Junior cup last year at this stage as well (which I managed to predict) when the teams are evenly matched that home 'advantage' often helps.

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Jan 25, 2011, 9:12 AM

Post #253 of 787 (32942 views)
Shortcut
Re: [darney] Best Non-Pyramid League in London ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Good point about home advantage in London Cup matches, Darney. It can also result in players from away teams dropping out just because they don't fancy waking up an hour earlier on a Sunday morning to travel the other side of the river (or because they have things arranged for the afternoon and wouldn't be able to get back in time if they played the other side of London in the morning).
My team have always suffered badly with that, and looking at some of the LFA Sunday Cup results in all three competitions so far this season, I suspect a lot of clubs are in the same boat, even the better ones.

I see that most of Greengate's players play for Eton Manor in the Essex Senior League (Step 5) on Saturdays.
Again though, if they play in the FA National Sunday Cup, the Essex FA Sunday Premier Cup and are the top team in the top division of the Essex Sunday Corinthian League, why aren't they in the LFA Sunday Challenge Cup ? Still a bit unfair on Division One teams like ourselves I think...which is who the LFA Sunday Intermediate Cup should be for.

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 27, 2011, 2:31 PM

Post #254 of 787 (32870 views)
Shortcut
FA Sunday National Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also looks like "our" teams are out of the FA Sunday National Cup:

*Aris lost 0-1 to Northampton Duke of York (from Northamptonshire Sunday Combination)

*The Lounge (conquerors of the mighty Baldon Sports) were comfortably beaten 0-3 by Britannia United (mid table side in the Aylesbury Sunday Football Combination who have lost 3 of the 5 league games they have played this season).

These results make me wonder. Do we overrate our London/south-east clubs? Are we really "that good"? Our best teams like Aris, Baldon, Enfield Rangers, London Maccabi Lions etc get knocked out in early rounds. Year after year, our teams get brushed aside my teams outside London or from up north (especially). A team that is bottom of their league in Birmingham got into the 4th round! (further than our London teams). The usual suspects like Oyster Martyrs are already in the 5th round. Like I said earlier in this thread, no London team has won that cup for nearly 20 years!

Are the London teams simply big fish in a little pond?

(This post was edited by stevegraze on Jan 27, 2011, 2:33 PM)

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 27, 2011, 8:10 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #255 of 787 (32842 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stevegraze] FA Sunday National Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think you are probably right although Hazelhurst from the Morden & District League made it to the semi finals of the FA Sunday Cup last season before losing narrowly to the eventual winners Hetton Lyons.

NorthWestLondon
Ballboy/girl

Jan 27, 2011, 9:32 PM

Team(s):

Post #256 of 787 (32832 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] FA Sunday National Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bedfont Sunday from the West Middlesex Sunday League have made the 1/4 finals this year and will face Comet Sports (who beat Belstone from the Harrow Sunday Challenge League in the last round). I believe there are still three Liverpool teams in the competition, so looks like they are the county to beat.

darney
Junior Team Star

Jan 30, 2011, 4:55 PM

Post #257 of 787 (32770 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NorthWestLondon] FA Sunday National Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Were New Salamis in the Sunday FA Cup this year how do they normally do? The results do seem to support the theory that teams up North are generally stronger than in London - overall. I can't think of why that should be the case really?? Maybe they take their football even sunday football a lot more seriously than the majority of sides in London do.

As for the LFA competitions I see that Millwall Elite did indeed beat Charlton United (so you got the full set Hughsey!) in the Intermediate cup today so who do you fancy for that now?

Yorks Amateur
First Team Sub

Jan 30, 2011, 8:19 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #258 of 787 (32736 views)
Shortcut
Re: [darney] FA Sunday National Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Were New Salamis in the Sunday FA Cup this year how do they normally do? The results do seem to support the theory that teams up North are generally stronger than in London - overall. I can't think of why that should be the case really?? Maybe they take their football even sunday football a lot more seriously than the majority of sides in London do.

As for the LFA competitions I see that Millwall Elite did indeed beat Charlton United (so you got the full set Hughsey!) in the Intermediate cup today so who do you fancy for that now?

Unless they have recently changed their name to New Salamis, they do not enter the FA Sunday Cup.

It's possible that they have entered the competition under a previous name.

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Jan 30, 2011, 8:27 PM

Post #259 of 787 (32729 views)
Shortcut
Re: [darney] FA Sunday National Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Greengate for the LFA Sunday Intermediate Cup I think. However, my team have never played any of the four semi-finalists, so it's hard for me to judge really. Unsure I wonder what sort of side Charlton United put out against Millwall Elite ?

New Salamis have never entered the National Sunday Cup. As far as I am aware, Aris (Tripimeni-Aris) are the only team from the KOPA League to have done so.

darney
Junior Team Star

Jan 31, 2011, 1:27 PM

Post #260 of 787 (32690 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HughesVideo] FA Sunday National Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I would think that they put out as strong as side as possible as I am aware that they really wanted to go for the Intermediate cup again this year after getting to the semi's last year so I would think that they are pretty disappointed at not getting that far again, does anyone know what league Millwall Elite are in? as I have never heard of them before. I would agree though that Greengate seem to be the side that can win it this time, as for the Junior cup Quarters this coming weekend I predict the teams to emerge for the semi's will be Yalova, Woolwich 90, Enfield Crusaders and Red Star.

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Jan 31, 2011, 2:56 PM

Post #261 of 787 (32677 views)
Shortcut
Re: [darney] Millwall Elite / Enfield Crusaders [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
does anyone know what league Millwall Elite are in? as I have never heard of them before.

They are pretty much the top team in the London City Airport Sunday League, but that is very much an inferior League to some in the London area. Only three divisions and not many teams in each.
I filmed the current leaders Lord Stanley in a League Cup Final last season. They were a decent side but definitely nowhere near as good as Charlton United, so Millwall Elite getting through against them is very much a surprise to me.

By the way, Enfield Crusaders are in good form in our League at the moment. Here's the current League tables. (They are second in Division Two with games in hand). However, some of their players play Futsal for F.C. Enfield on Sunday mornings in the National Futsal League and will probably be missing the LFA Sunday Junior Cup Quarter-Final this Sunday because of that. I believe one of them (Justin Dickinson) is actually an England International at Futsal.
One of our players also plays Futsal for F.C. Enfield and treats that as more important than 11-a-side. It's a bit frustrating that Futsal (an indoor sport) is played on Sunday mornings. You would think it would be better suited to midweek evenings ? Sunday morning teams lose a heck of a lot of good players to small-sided Leagues though, especially Powerleague. It seems playing 5-a-side in midweek on 3G Astroturfs is far more preferable to getting up on a Sunday morning to play 11-a-side.

(This post was edited by HughesVideo on Jan 31, 2011, 2:58 PM)

denzel
Ballboy/girl

Jan 31, 2011, 7:45 PM

Post #262 of 787 (32649 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HughesVideo] Millwall Elite / Enfield Crusaders [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Been following this site for a little while now and found myself getting hold of information on the wareabouts of millwall elite. So went along to there quarter final against favourites charlton utd. Well let me tell you something now, Watch this space. Millwall elite were all over charlton utd and with 4 senior players missing from there starting line up made the football match look like a warm up game before a season starts. The result does not reflect on the game as they were 3 - 0 up with 5 mins to go and a dubiase penalty descision and a scrappy clearance gone wrong give charlton some pride.
Hughsie your predictions were spot on but watch out for millwall elite because they could well of slipped under the radar but have started to appear brightly right now. Also semi finalist 2 yrs ago but beat by the eventual winners eureka.

GL

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Jan 31, 2011, 8:16 PM

Post #263 of 787 (32639 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denzel] Millwall Elite / Enfield Crusaders [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sounds like a good job my team didn't get through to face Millwall Elite yesterday then ! Our goalkeeper dislocated a finger in training and we had to put an outfield player in goal in our League match against Hop Poles yesterday...which we lost 5-2 because of that. (We gifted Broxbourne Borough forward Daniel Flint an easy hat-trick).
We probably would have let in 10 against Millwall Elite, as our keeper was by far our best player against Charlton United ! Shocked

(This post was edited by HughesVideo on Jan 31, 2011, 8:18 PM)

Isaac

Feb 1, 2011, 3:26 PM

Post #264 of 787 (32582 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stevegraze] FA Sunday National Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Also looks like "our" teams are out of the FA Sunday National Cup:

*Aris lost 0-1 to Northampton Duke of York (from Northamptonshire Sunday Combination)

*The Lounge (conquerors of the mighty Baldon Sports) were comfortably beaten 0-3 by Britannia United (mid table side in the Aylesbury Sunday Football Combination who have lost 3 of the 5 league games they have played this season).

These results make me wonder. Do we overrate our London/south-east clubs? Are we really "that good"? Our best teams like Aris, Baldon, Enfield Rangers, London Maccabi Lions etc get knocked out in early rounds. Year after year, our teams get brushed aside my teams outside London or from up north (especially). A team that is bottom of their league in Birmingham got into the 4th round! (further than our London teams). The usual suspects like Oyster Martyrs are already in the 5th round. Like I said earlier in this thread, no London team has won that cup for nearly 20 years!

Are the London teams simply big fish in a little pond?

In view of their win over The Lounge in a previous round I was expecting great things from Britannia United last Sunday but they were beaten 0-4 by Knighton Arms who weren't particularly impressive either. Bedfont Sunday looked more impressive when I saw their 2-1 win over Wonford United.

Are Baldon Sports not as strong as they have been in previous years?

(This post was edited by Isaac on Feb 1, 2011, 3:29 PM)

Isaac

Feb 1, 2011, 5:06 PM

Post #265 of 787 (32566 views)
Shortcut

Any idea why Hazelhurst (from the Morden & District SL) didn't enter the FA Sunday Cup this season? I would have thought their run to the semi final last season would have whetted their appetite for more.

darney
Junior Team Star

Feb 2, 2011, 12:15 PM

Post #266 of 787 (32535 views)
Shortcut

Yes they have lost some of their best players this season and didn't feel that they would be strong enough in that competition this year and I can confirm that they aren't as strong as they were last year.

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Mar 2, 2011, 4:15 PM

Post #267 of 787 (32235 views)
Shortcut
Re: London FA Sunday Cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I notice that the London F.A. Sunday Cup competitions for this season are now through to the Semi-Final or Final stages.

In the Sunday Challenge Cup, New Salamis are there again for the 4th time in the last 6 seasons and can rightly claim to be consistently the best Sunday side in London I would have thought ? Their opponents are Pearscroft United from the Sportsmans Sunday League on Sunday 10th April at Croydon Athletic F.C....presumably a 10.30.a.m. Kick-Off ? Anybody going to watch it ?

In the Sunday Intermediate Cup (the competition my team entered), it's Convoys v. Greengate in the Final to be played on Sunday 1st May at Wingate & Finchley F.C....again I assume a 10.30.a.m. Kick-Off ? Convoys beat Millwall Elite 2-0 according to this...which is another surprising result to some of us ! Shocked Convoys are in the third division down in the Metropolitan Sunday League and not exactly top of the table. I wonder why it is not up on the LFA website yet ?

In the Sunday Junior Cup, the Semi-Finals are being played this Sunday (6th March). Darney, I notice your team lost to Stanley Lions in the Quarter-Finals. What were they like ? They will need to play well to beat Yalova, judging by this.
As a Waltham Sunday League Club Secretary, I am hoping that Enfield Crusaders (from Division Two in our League) can beat Red Star Camden and get through, thereby enhancing our reputation as one of the strongest Sunday Leagues in the London area, although it will be a tough task for them I think. Red Star Camden also enter the Middlesex F.A. Sunday Premier Cup, although Enfield Rangers (our Premier Division Champions) beat them 6-1 in that.

Here are the rest of the teams in our League still left in County Cup competitions. Abbey Youth Old Boys are already through to the Essex Sunday Junior Cup Final and I think their Reserve Team have a chance of progressing as well. Asco (Herts Sunday Intermediate Cup Semi-Finalists) have the toughest task of the four teams left in. They are below my team in the current Division One table, but that shows you how strong that division is in our League.

darney
Junior Team Star

Mar 2, 2011, 5:07 PM

Post #268 of 787 (32226 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HughesVideo] London FA Sunday Cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes we got beat by Stanley Lions but in all honesty (not sour grapes!!) they are not a good side and I don't think Yalova will have any problems beating them to be honest. Stanley Lions are quite strong on their own pitch and I believe they have only lost at home once in several seasons and that was a 1-0 loss recently to a team from the Met prem division in a cup match. However on the day that we played them we were one nil up and comfortabe until giving away a totally needless penalty it was very windy that day also and in the second half we were up against it as everything just kept coming back at us due to the wind and 2 of their 3 second half goals were wind-assisted. I had actually suggested to our manager before the game to go with the wind in the second half but we didn't do that and it cost us. We would beat that team 8 times out of ten on a 'normal' day I am positive about that. I think that some of my team did underestimate Stanley Lions before the match but there have been a lot stronger sides than them that we have beaten in the same competition so unless everything goes against Yalova on the day and I mean everything (ref, bad weather, players getting sent off or not turning up etc) then they will be in the final. In all honesty we would have been unlikely to beat Yalova either if we beat Stanley lions in my view. As for the other semi I have never seen either side play but I have a sneaky feeling that Red Star will get there but it could go either way of course.

Isaac

Mar 2, 2011, 6:12 PM

Post #269 of 787 (32216 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HughesVideo] London FA Sunday Cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I certainly hope to get along to the Challenge Cup final at Croydon Athletic, great final last season between New Salamis and Balden Sports!

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Mar 6, 2011, 1:01 AM

Post #270 of 787 (32146 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] London FA Sunday Cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Highlighting the stupidity of clubs entering whichever Cup they want to: you have Akincilar (top of the Turkish league) in the Challenge Cup. Yet, Yalova who are in the same Division as them (in 3rd place in the top Div) are in the JUNIOR CUP! Ridiculous.

Shame Akinciliar and New Salamis met in the semis. Would have been been a great final. We really need Aris, Baldon Sports and Clapton Rangers (if they can reform) to enter the Challenge Cup next year and give New Salamis a run for their money.

Isaac

Mar 7, 2011, 11:19 AM

Post #271 of 787 (32099 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stevegraze] London FA Sunday Cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Highlighting the stupidity of clubs entering whichever Cup they want to: you have Akincilar (top of the Turkish league) in the Challenge Cup. Yet, Yalova who are in the same Division as them (in 3rd place in the top Div) are in the JUNIOR CUP! Ridiculous.

Shame Akinciliar and New Salamis met in the semis. Would have been been a great final. We really need Aris, Baldon Sports and Clapton Rangers (if they can reform) to enter the Challenge Cup next year and give New Salamis a run for their money.

I totally agree, rather like letting Prem clubs decide if they want to go into the Champions or Europa League.

Any idea what's happened to Baldon Sports this season? They don't appear to be the force they have been in previous seasons.

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Mar 7, 2011, 4:05 PM

Post #272 of 787 (32076 views)
Shortcut
Baldon and London FA Sunday Cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The spine of Baldon's team is still the same (half the squad from the Dolby family!), but Luke I'anson has not been playing this season. I guess he may be busy with commitments for his conference team? Not having him in the team is a big loss. If it was not for him, they would not have beat Clapton Rangers in last seasomn's Challenge Cup semi-final. Losing a player of that quality makes loads of difference. Baldon moved to the Metropolitan League this season and I think they are too strong for that league. They are undefeated in the league, 9 points clear at the top of the table and have won 11 of their 12 games so far. Sometimes when teams coast in their league, they find it hard coping with the sudden increased intensity of cup matches against top class opposition.

Feel sorry for clubs in the Junior Cup....having to play a Yalova team that have no business playing in that competition. Far too good.

Isaac

Mar 7, 2011, 4:17 PM

Post #273 of 787 (32074 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stevegraze] Baldon and London FA Sunday Cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes I was at that Challenge Cup semi final with Clapton Rangers, quite a game!

I saw Luke I'Anson playing for Dover Athletic earlier this season, he's certainly a quality player.

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Mar 8, 2011, 8:45 AM

Post #274 of 787 (32024 views)
Shortcut

Enfield Crusaders managed to beat Red Star Camden 4-0 in the LFA Sunday Junior Cup Semi-Final on Sunday and are now through to face Yalova in the Final on Sunday 3rd April at Redbridge F.C.

We also had another Waltham Sunday League team reach a Final on Sunday with Abbey Youth Old Boys Reserves winning 6-2 in their Essex Sunday Junior Trophy Semi-Final Away to Snaresbrook. Stansted's Dwight Gayle scored a hat-trick.

That's three teams through to County Cup Finals now, so it's another good season for our League.
We also have quite a few teams (including Division One clubs) now competing on equal terms with Enfield Rangers, who are not running away with things like they normally do...unlike Baldon Sports appear to be doing in the Met League. Here are Enfield Rangers' results this season. They have lost 2 of their last 3 matches and should have lost the other by all accounts.

The_Player
Junior Team Sub

Mar 29, 2011, 1:53 PM

Team(s): Inter Trac AFC (Sunday League)

Post #275 of 787 (31705 views)
Shortcut
County Cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It seems the team which is probably the best team in the South-East is Belstone FC who currently play in the Harrow Sunday Challenge League. They have set an unprecedented double by winning both the Hertfordshire Sunday Senior Cup and the Middlesex Sunday Premier Cup in the same season.

http://www.borehamwoodtimes.co.uk/...one_FC_make_history/

They've only lost one game all season and that was in the FA Sunday Cup and they beat the conquerers in the Hertfordshire Cup Final.

Has anyone seen them play or know anything about them?

http://www.intertracafc.co.uk - Playing in the Barnet Sunday Football League

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 32 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3