Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 71 Next page Last page  View All

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 19, 2011, 7:54 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #26 of 1758 (80307 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 19th April 2011
Percy Park 36 Northern 15 (HT 15-10)
North One East
Admission: £4 (including 24pp programme)
Attendance: 175 (h/c)
Tea (in a styrofoam cup): 80p

For an hour, this was a close game. North Shields club Percy Park, title contenders in North One East, were being held 15-15 by Newcastle-based neighbours and relegation battlers Northern. But three converted home tries - one a 60m interception - within 10 minutes then put the outcome beyond reasonable doubt. Park had crossed for three tries, none converted, in the opening 40 minutes. The final score was hard on Northern, who, despite lacking anyone to match the pace shown by Park's scrum-half, inside centre and left wing, toughed it out gamely and scored three tries. Both goalkickers had real trouble finding the target - and kicking at goal is usually one rugby skill at which union players have some idea.

Park, formed in 1872, have played at Preston Avenue since 1896. The ground is located (almost inevitably, given we're talking rugby union) in the swankiest part of North Shields. The original wooden grandstand, bought from the Northumberland Agricultural Society in 1896, burnt down in the summer of 1980. Its replacement, a concrete and steel propped cantilever opened in 1983, has eight rows of bench-style seats - some of which come with cushions.

The ground is dominated by a two-storey clubhouse, opposite on the south side. This was opened in 1998, with its balcony (great view from there) added 10 years later. On the ground floor are several dressing rooms, a club shop (playing gear only), offices and toilets. A clutch of function rooms can be found on the first floor, whose corridors are lined with photographs from yesteryear. These include a dramatic shot of the old grandstand, engulfed with flames, in its death throes. There is hardstanding at all points, mast floodlights and a white plastic barrier round the wide, flat pitch. A very tidy set-up for this level of rugby union. To the north, behind the stand, is the ground of Tynemouth Cricket Club.

My girlfriend came along for the ride (or, rather, the pre-match exploration of lovely Tynemouth and a Tyne-side picnic), and was as unimpressed by turgid rugby union as a spectacle as she was a couple of years ago on the only other occasion she watched it. Back to football for both of us next Saturday - thank goodness!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/5540166581/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/5540165943/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/5540746692/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/5540745864/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/5540163571/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/5540162687/

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Mar 19, 2011, 10:48 PM)

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 23, 2011, 2:21 PM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #27 of 1758 (80181 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Saturday 19th April 2011
Percy Park 36 Northern 15 (HT 15-10)
North One East
Admission: £4 (including 24pp programme)
Attendance: 175 (h/c)
Tea (in a styrofoam cup): 80p

Have you been time travelling there? We're not out of March yet!Wink

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (948) Baza Arcom Progresul Spartac 1-1 Unirea Bascov
With FC United: 133
On the agenda:
21/9 FC United v Warrington Town
24/9 Warrington Town v FC United

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 23, 2011, 4:04 PM

Post #28 of 1758 (80164 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm so eager to see the back of this past winter, I skipped March completely!

Workington FC
Reserve Team Regular

Mar 23, 2011, 7:15 PM

Team(s): Workington Reds, St Ives Roosters RLFC

Post #29 of 1758 (80145 views)
Shortcut

Imperial College 12 v Imperial Medicals 25 - Varsity Match
Wednesday 16th March 2011
Played at The Stoop, Twickenham
Admission - corporate freebie - £7.50 for spectators
Programme: A5 - 20 pages with a laminate cover - price - another freebie
Attendance: Approx 1,400 according to the press

Great hospitality at the Stoop for what was an awful game of Rugby Union. I was quite suprised how technically poor it was.

Ostrich
First Team Sub

Apr 9, 2011, 6:20 PM

Post #30 of 1758 (79913 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Workington FC] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 9 April, 2011
Midlands 1 West
Sutton Coldfield RFC 86 Banbury RFC 11
Admission (non member) - £4 including programme. £2 if you’re a member.
Programme – 16pp of which 9 ½ were advertising. Teams, league table, previous 2 weeks league results lifted from the RFU website, last 2 games match reports, that’s it. No welcome, nothing about the junior sides, no photos …. At least these days the website’s a better effort than previously.

Attendance – 147 by h/c
Refreshments – ½ Strongbow and cheese bun £2.30 at the bar. There was also the usual free buffet for visitors, and I classify myself as a visitor although it’s only a 10 minute stroll from house to ground. I limited myself to two large green olives and a rather indeterminate sandwich, which may or may not have involved fish paste ….

Ground – large sporting complex comprising 5 rugby pitches, a cricket field, tennis courts, and what might be an indoor sports hall, although it’s difficult to tell, largely as I’ve never found out how you gain access to it.

The main pitch is alongside the clubhouse with the seconds pitch parallel to it. I usually patrol the narrow no-mans land between these two pitches, covering both matches, although you have to be alert not to be dinged on the head by a wayward ball from Match B while concentrating on Match A. Or taken out from behind by an over-enthusiastic front-row forward, for that matter. I was only hit once during this afternoon’s proceedings …. Laugh

A third pitch, on the other side of the entrance driveway, is floodlit (10 pylons) and I assume used for training – I’ve never known an evening match there, although I have seen the Colts use it on an afternoon.

There’s car parking for well over 100 vehicles, mainly gravel, and the gravelled area has been extended since last year. The clubhouse is a two-storey affair, bars at both levels, which can get over-crowded. Two TV screens in the lower bar, showing Bristol v Munster, I believe. Makes a change from Chelsea.

No stands or cover around the main pitch, which is railed on the clubhouse / changing room side and “post and taped” on the other three. Pitch in immaculate condition for the time of the year.

Game - with Banbury second from bottom of the league with only 20 points, this was always going to be a rout; indeed, Sutton had scored 107 points in the reverse fixture. The match should have been a meaningful rout, but because Sutton, going head-to-head with Dudley Kingswinford for the top spot and promotion, had lost their last 2 games (including the league fixture at DK), they now have to be content with second place and the play-offs, so in the event it was rather a meaningless rout.

Sutton scored after 1 minute 24 seconds, wide in the right hand corner and that set the tone of the game. They were 50-6 up at half time, and eventually ran in 14 tries, many unopposed as the away side’s cover and tackling was abysmal. Nathan Burchill posted two tries with trademark weaving runs, one right across the pitch from wide left to a score in the right hand corner. A further two tries were scored literally from first possession after restarts. The highlight try was actually Banbury’s, though, when their lock, Brand, intercepted the ball and positively lumbered 40 yards to score, fending off two tackles in the process.

The referee, John Schofield (Notts, Lincs and Derby Society) had a very good game and hardly missed a trick (although I reckon one Sutton try included a forward pass which he missed). I noticed he was “miked” and as it’s club linesman at this level, that seemed odd, but on enquiry, I found there was a dreaded referee’s assessor at the game – and it was he who was listening in !! There was just one bout of unnecessary handbags which resulted in a player from each team being sin-binned, but otherwise it was very much a by-the-book match with no controversy.

Meanwhile, on t’other pitch, Bournville 2nds surprisingly tanked Sutton Coldfield 2nds 51-10, in a match that was nearly as one-sided as the main affair. So, 158 points over two matches on a hot, spring afternoon – not bad, and I’ve now completed re-ticking the teams in this league.

(This post was edited by Ostrich on Apr 9, 2011, 6:22 PM)

The Moose
First Team Star

Apr 10, 2011, 11:12 PM

Team(s):

Post #31 of 1758 (79877 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ostrich] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sat 9th April EGGCHASING PREMIERSHIP

BATH RUGBY 26 EXETER CHIEFS 18

TKT: £24 PROG: £3 ATT: 12,200

Second trip to the Rec this season purely to see that well known Red Indian reservation from East Devon really. Completes the 'set' again in watching all possible away sides in the league at this venue. In the glorious sunshine Bath after a slow start got back to winning ways and may just sneak into the main Euro places. Pleased to see that Exe have far exceeded most peoples expectations and have given hope to all below the 'top table' if they ever get promoted. Grand day out with my daughter for company and have to say the amber nectar went down very well too Tongue

KRTM Cool

Ostrich
First Team Sub

Apr 16, 2011, 8:51 PM

Post #32 of 1758 (79788 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday, 16th April 2011
Midlands 2 West South
Earlsdon RFC 35 Old Coventrians RFC 13
Admission – free, programme – no sign of anything. Some clubs at this level do issue.
Refreshments – ½ Strongbow and crisps in the bar £1.85. There are kitchen facilities and a serving hatch, but nobody was serving.
Attendance – 122 by h/c, no doubt includes substitutes and WAGs

Ground – Mitchell Avenue, Canley, Coventry. The ground borders the University of Warwick athletics complex to the east, and is adjacent to Cov-Tech RFC’s ground, who play in Midlands 5 West South. The division between the two rugby club premises isn’t clear, if indeed there is one. There would appear to be four full size pitches overall, two of which are first team pitches for the two clubs, and plenty of mini-rugby and a soccer pitch on the site. Parking at the Earlsdon end for at least 100 vehicles. One of the training pitches was, I think, floodlit.

The rather impressive looking block club-house turned out to be a bit dingy. Changing rooms at lower level, while you ascend a stair-well to find the smallish bar on the top storey. There was TV commentary via loudspeakers but no discernable wide-screen, which was a bit disconcerting; however I eventually noticed a small portable behind the bar ! The usual honours board, team photos, signed England shirt (Neil Back, Leicester and British Lions, apparently played for the club), pennants and trophy cabinet, and at least three “kitchen / bar rotas” on various noticeboards. I gleaned that the club was founded in 1905 and the current clubhouse opened in 1988. The bar does open up onto a wide balcony which gave an unrivalled view of the first team pitch, although, as it was positioned well behind and slightly to one side of the goal-line, I opted to watch the match from the sidelines.

The pitch was railed on both sides, and there was no cover or stand or anything, just a wooden bench dedicated to a former player, Lee “Mad Pup” Rourke.

Match – I gather two teams go down from this division. With Earlsdon already relegated and this their last match of the season, they were playing only for pride, and the opportunity to keep local rivals Old Coventrians – one place off bottom – deeply in the mire! The away side needed a win, didn’t get it, and are also now relegated.

It was, in its way, quite a decent match, and a fairly tense affair up until the 61st minute when with the score poised at 13-8, Earlsdon rattled in two quick converted tries which more or less settled matters. Throughout the first half, Earlsdon had the territory and the possession, but couldn’t turn pressure into points. Old Coventrians, for their part, failed to make use of two periods when Earlsdon men were sin-binned. In fact OC had taken the lead after 24m with an unconverted try in the right corner, but Earlsdon then got points on the board with a penalty and converted try of their own to make it 10-5 at the interval.

The Earlsdon fly-half added a second penalty on 43m and hit a post with an impressive long range attempt on 58m, but the two converted tries then eased the tension and they cantered home in the last quarter.

Interestingly, we had “appointed” rather than “club” linesmen today which was somewhat unusual at this level, and I’m not sure if that was as a result of (a) what was riding on this match (b) the fact that OC had a recent game abandoned due to ill-discipline that’s apparently costing them a 15 point deduction next season or (c) some other reason. I was also aware of a fair bit of “back-chat” between certain of the coaching staff and the officials, again something in my experience a little unusual in this code. Learning from their round-ball compatriots, possibly?

(This post was edited by Ostrich on Apr 16, 2011, 8:52 PM)

Ostrich
First Team Sub

Apr 30, 2011, 5:21 PM

Post #33 of 1758 (79614 views)
Shortcut
Re: Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 30th April 2011
Midlands 1 Promotion Play-off
Sutton Coldfield RFC 27 v Mansfield RFC 33
Admission - £4 non members £2 members
Programme – included in admission. A better effort than the Banbury match, 20pp and colour photographs!
Refreshments – Godamnit, no free buffet this week …… however, they were giving away free “Green Army” teeshirts! The XL just about fitted me … Blush
½ Strongbow £1.30, hot pork roll £3 (a tad overpriced in my view)
Attendance - 427 by h/c at HT, hopefully not too far adrift.

A good crowd for this one, which was probably one of the bigger games in Sutton Coldfield’s history, but as ever, they were the perennial bridesmaids. Mansfield looked a solid side with hard running flank forwards, and played a canny game, waiting to capitalise on Sutton’s mistakes. They’d obviously been studying tapes ….. Sly

Rather than traditional green, Sutton turned out in a slightly strange white strip which seemingly sported more advertising than the programme. After an early exchange of penalties, Mansfield winger Hough intercepted a Sutton pass down the line and ran unchallenged for 50 yards for a try under the posts. Early niggles saw Leicestershire Society referee Shaun Porter sin-bin Mansfield No.8 Caladine, and Sutton took advantage of this to level and then take the lead with converted tries by Ward (26m), jinking through the defence, and winger Burchill (30m) with a run down the touchline. And Sutton made it 24-10 just before half-time when White scored from close range.

However in the second half, playing now against a stiff breeze, Sutton failed to maintain control. There were numerous offsides in defence and wrong options taken in attack – to much kicking away possession. Mansfield were back to 24-20 after 58m with a penalty from Lee Shaw, then an unchallenged try and conversion from the same player. A 65m penalty by Poulton restored Sutton’s 7 point lead, but a Lee Shaw penalty made it 27-23 after 68m setting up a tense finish, and inevitably, on 78m, Mansfield scrum half Adam Shaw darted in, Lee Shaw converted and it was effectively all over for Sutton. And a final Lee Shaw penalty deep into stoppage time completed the scoring.

Sutton Coldfield cannot have any complaints, in my view, too many errors were committed, which has often been their downfall in matches I’ve seen here. If they’d achieved promotion, I’d have had doubts about their survival in National 3 Midlands; however, that’s all rather academic now ….. Unsure

(This post was edited by Ostrich on Apr 30, 2011, 5:21 PM)

StephenHarris
First Team Sub

Aug 26, 2011, 9:53 AM

Team(s): Leyton Orient, Hastings United, CA Huracan

Post #34 of 1758 (78644 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ostrich] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thursday 25 August 2011, 6:45pm: Saracens 26-8 Connacht: Friendly; att: c.3,000; Entry £20; programme issued.

This pre-season friendly match was played on the parade ground of the Honourable Artillery Company (HAC), the largest green space in the City of London, and a place I have for a long time wanted to visit. Football, cricket and even rugby league has been played here from time to time, and Saracens first played a friendly match here against the USA last November. The pitch was marked out on the southern half of the grounds (and disappointingly there was no access allowed to the northern half where the more historic buildings are to be found). A temporary, uncovered stand was erected along the south side, with 11 rows of green tip-up seats, around 1,200 in total. The north side was occupied by sponsors and corporate-types in their tents and marquees. This left rather limited viewing options for the majority of the crowd, behind tape on the soggy grass at either end. Behind the stand and in each corner were beer tents with very long queues (excellent Chiltern Brewery Bitter) and food outlets with zero queues, plus a Saracens club shop.

The majority of the crowd was formed of City Boys on a boozy night out – a typical City Thursday evening in fact, just with an unusual venue. Smaller numbers were actual Saracens fans, showing their colours and indicating that they actually knew something about rugby. I was not aware of any away supporters.

The match was preceded by a ‘warm-up game’ between HAC and Lloyds of London, 20 minutes each way, with the latter team winning 7-3. Amateur players and plenty of errors on show, but I enjoyed this one rather more than I did the main event. Perhaps it was because I was able to bunk into the stand and watched from an elevated position in the back row by the half way line. By the kick-off of the Saracens game the crowd had built up and we were back at ground level, behind the goal in the growing gloom of the evening. To my mind this game was very dull – 80 minutes of pushing and shoving and very little movement with the ball. I’m assuming that Saracens were below strength due to international call-ups, but they were still dominant here, breaking away from the constant scrimmage a couple of times to score. But overall it was the event and the location that were the attraction, not the game itself. On reflection I decided that the two Kent Invicta League football matches I have attended this week provided much better entertainment.

StephenHarris
First Team Sub

Sep 5, 2011, 10:09 AM

Post #35 of 1758 (78524 views)
Shortcut
Re: [StephenHarris] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sunday 4 September 2011, 3:00pm: Leeds Carnegie 13-26 London Welsh: RU Championship; att: 2,343; Entry £17; programme issued.

Having stayed over in Yorkshire following the big Chesterfield vs Leyton Orient game on Saturday, I had a whole range of sporting options for the Sunday. Top of the list was the FA Cup game between Wakefield and Thackley (which I gather wasn’t great), but the logistics surrounding my pre-booked train home were not good. So I was pleased to see in the fixtures that there was a possibility for a return visit to Headingley. I have previously watched cricket next door and rugby league on this pitch, so a visit for rugby union seems to complete the set.

It is a very attractive ground, with an old main stand on the north side, featuring plastic seats in the paddock at the front and ancient, wooden tip up seats at the back. This stand backs on to the cricket ground and use can be made of the cricket bars. Opposite is a substantial, covered terrace. The west end has open terracing, plus a scoreboard and video screen. The east end is new since my last visit, the old open terracing being replaced by a two-tier stand with terracing at the front and seats above. Last time I was here, the crowd was about 15,000 greater for a Challenge Cup game against Workington and it was a question of grab a vantage point wherever you could. The smaller crowds attracted to the union game meant yesterday I had the luxury of being able to pick my spot, and I watched the first half from the south side and the second from the main stand. Mention was made in the programme of plans to redevelop the terraced side at some point soon.

These two clubs may have passed each other in the summer, with Leeds relegated from the top level and Welsh having a good season in the Championship, eventually finishing fourth. You wouldn’t have guessed it from the programme though, with no mention of the word ‘relegation’ and all articles being forward-looking. Welsh pretty much dominated the game and it was a far more enjoyable spectacle than the Saracens game I watched a couple of weeks ago, much helped by the better viewing options at Headingley. Key to the Welsh performance was ex-Leeds fly-half Gordon Ross who scored 16 points. Only in the final few minutes were Leeds hopes raised when they scored their only try of the game and a Welsh player was sin-binned.

Catering possibilities in the ground focussed on burgers and chips, with a doughnut stall also on hand. The match programme was a full-colour, glossy affair, very similar in feel to a league football programme. It sold for £3, or £2 to season ticket holders. “Are you a season ticket holder?”, I was asked. “No” I responded. I then received £3 change from my fiver.

Ostrich
First Team Sub

Sep 17, 2011, 6:29 PM

Post #36 of 1758 (78360 views)
Shortcut

Saturday 17 September 2011
Midlands 1 West (Level 6)
Bedworth RFC 20 Whitchurch RFC 27
Admission – free
Programme – “Nah, we’ve only just discovered how to connect up the electricity …” Sly
Refreshments from the bar – ½ Strongbow £1.05, 4 assorted filled soft buns - £4
Attendance – 68 (h/c)

“Beduff” is bigger than you think! Priory Fields is nowhere near the soccer ground but out at Bedworth Heath, easily accessible, though, from the A444 Bedworth bypass. The ground is down Heath Road, left into Smarts Lane, back under the A444, and turn left at the dead-end into a crude gravel car park for around 50 vehicles. Plenty of parking in the road outside.

The only building is a low-slung utilitarian brick clubhouse cum changing rooms, which, rather disconcertingly has a block concrete bunker on the roof. Commanding position for a machine-gun placement, possibly? The clubhouse itself is a gloomy, windowless affair with a small wall-mounted TV and the usual rugby trophies, photos and paraphernalia on display. Outside, there’s 2 pitches, the main one railed all round, and the adjacent floodlit training pitch . There’s also an outdoor bowling club, and, interestingly, a sizeable tarmac circuit for radio-controlled model racing cars, two of which were being put through their paces.

The principal talking point before the match was the whereabouts of the “exchange” referee from the Cheshire society, but he eventually turned up around 25 minutes before the start, There was also a referee’s assessor present, duly miked up to the referee.

Bedworth were promoted via the Midlands 2 West leagues’ second place play-offs last season, and have started in the higher flight, perhaps unsurprisingly, with two defeats. Whitchurch are one of those solid middle-of-the-table sides, but they’ve had their own problems this season as their first league match was called off after a player contracted a dreaded, highly contagious skin disease on holiday – impetigo – and 12 other players went down with it!

The home side started on the defensive but looked pretty solid and although Whitchurch took the lead after 8m with a penalty for a ruck infringement, Bedworth soon pegged them back with a similar penalty on 11m. Their fly-half then put the home side 6-3 in front on 20m with another simple penalty, but Bedworth were nearly caught napping straight from the restart when nobody took responsibility for the high ball and the Whitchurch full back caught it and very nearly broke through. This was only the first of a series of incidents that had the Bedworth coach clutching his head and mouthing imprecations!

Whitchurch equalized on 27m with a long range penalty but 6 minutes later, Bedworth were back in front when their forwards held the ball virtually on the goal-line, the Bedworth scrum-half dummied left to send the defence the wrong way, and No.3 had an easy run through on the right. We were soon back to parity at 13-13 when the Whitchurch No.12 charged down a rather desperate attempted clearance from the Bedworth defence, and chased the ball over the line to score unopposed.

Just before half-time, niggle turned into a serious bout of fisticuffs involving most players – when the dust had settled and the referee had had a long consultation with the assessor, both Bedworth prop forwards and the Whitchurch No.3 were yellow-carded, which meant 10 minutes of uncontested scrums.
Despite being a man less, Bedworth took advantage of a sustained period of pressure after half time and made it 20-13 with a converted try from their full-back. The miscreants were duly summoned back from the sidelines with the Whitchurch No.3, who’d received a bloody lip in the fracas, face-taped and rather resembling Hannibal Lecter ….

On 56m, Whitchurch pulled the scores level again when their full-back fed No.12 who out-ran two defenders to score. 6 minutes later, the Bedworth No.10 missed his first attempt at goal, and on 72m it was Whitchurch who opened up a 27-20 lead when their No.14 chased a through ball, shrugged off the attentions of the home No.11, and scored under the posts. Bedworth kept pressing forward, but eventually ran out of time and thus lost a pretty entertaining match.

(This post was edited by Ostrich on Sep 18, 2011, 12:00 AM)

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 17, 2011, 10:42 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #37 of 1758 (78349 views)
Shortcut

SRU RBS WEST REGIONAL LEAGUE DIVISION ONE (5th Level of Scottish pyramid below 4 national divisions)

Marr 18-15 Irvine
Fullarton Park, Troon
Attendance (estimate) 300

This Ayrshire derby was a cracking match.

Newly-promoted Marr hosted newly-relegated Irvine at Fullarton Park and Irvine brought a sizeable support with them. Rugby in Ayrshire is largely restricted to towns which had senior secondary schools (equivalent of English grammar schools) where rugby was played. Both Marr and Irvine are now 'open' clubs but were previously known as Marr College FPs and Irvine Royal Academicals. In this age of comprehensive education Marr College is one of only a few state schools which are still a match for the school teams of the Glasgow and Edinburgh private sector schools. Quite a few of the current Marr team are former pupils of Marr College.

Marr dominated the first half and led 13-3 at the interval, the lead being boosted by a pushover try from the Marr forwards.

The first 20 minutes of the second half were fairly even but then Irvine had a remarkable spell of dominance with Marr unable to get a touch of the ball. With 10 minutes to go Irvine scored an unconverted try to make the score 13-8 and with Marr still unable to get a hand on the ball Irvine went over beneath the posts for a converted try to take the lead 15-13. 5 minutes injury time* remained to be played.

Straight from the restart Marr were reduced to 14 men when one of their number was yellow-carded. But with the clock running down the Marr winger got possession on the half line and raced to the corner, evading tackles to score an amazing try. The conversion was missed but there was no time for a restart so Marr won this thrilling game 18-15.

* one injury was to the Irvine substitute scrum half. I have seen this South African in previous seasons playing for Irvine and he was most impressive. He had been on the pitch no more than three minutes when he ended up under a scrum. He was stretched off and talk was of a dislocated knee.

the second injury happened more or less under my nose. The home winger went down in agony with an ankle injury. I heard him say he'd heard a crack and the opposition physio who went to help confirmed he'd heard a crack too. Ten minutes later the winger was walking about fairly normally and reckoned it was no worse than a twisted ankle.

StephenHarris
First Team Sub

Sep 22, 2011, 9:51 AM

Post #38 of 1758 (78271 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wednesday 21 September 2011, 7:30pm: London Scottish 9-44 London Welsh: British & Irish Cup; att: 853; Entry £10; programme issued.

Midweek rugby in London is a rare event and I could not resist this most local of derby matches at the Richmond Athletic Ground. I even passed on the chance of Kent County League football at Otford to be here. On a mild evening it proved to be a very pleasant venue. The enclosed main pitch lies at the centre of a large complex; the outer pitches being busy last night with rugby training. A venerable cricket pavilion looks across what is now the second rugby pitch. International rugby and (once) international football have been played here in the distant past. In fact the modern-day spectator facilities are quite modest, with a single, concrete, cantilevered stand capable housing around 1,000 spectators on the south side of the main pitch. This has three terracing steps at the front. Otherwise there is just grass standing around the rail. London Welsh’s own large sports complex lies almost next door to the north. I have a photo of the ground (taken back in January) and a location map at this link:
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/46030060

The British & Irish Cup seems to be treated, at this group stage of the competition at least, a bit like football clubs treat the League Cup. Thus ‘squad rotation’ meant that Welsh made 15 team changes from their game on Saturday (i.e. they put out the reserves) and Scottish also made widespread team changes, including playing a couple of ‘dual-registration’ players from Blackheath and Tring respectively. Not that a non-regular like me would have noticed. But others clearly were expecting this and the crowd was a bit on the small side as a consequence. I thought it was a really good game. Lots of movement, lots of running with the ball and every penalty or conversion kick of the game adding to the score. Ultimately Welsh proved much the stronger team managing five converted tries and three penalties to the Scots three penalties. The second half was rather blighted by injuries (none terminal) and the game went to 12 minutes of stoppage time.

The ground has two large bars under the stand and a large canteen area, plus a second food outlet outside. I enjoyed the Fullers London Pride straight from the cask to wash down my Scotch Pie. A match programme sold around the ground for £2; a rather basic issue.

Fleetfan
Reserve Team Star

Sep 22, 2011, 1:48 PM

Post #39 of 1758 (78257 views)
Shortcut
Re: [StephenHarris] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Wednesday 21 September 2011, 7:30pm: London Scottish 9-44 London Welsh: British & Irish Cup; att: 853; Entry £10; programme issued.

I was also in attendance.Fully agree with your assessment of the match.I did find the lengthy delays in the second half somewhat disruptive to what otherwise was a fairly fluid game of rugby,but obviously an injured players wellbeing is paramount. Very much a local derby,as Welsh's ground is virtually adjacent to the training pitches. Interesting that the stand is called instead 'The Highlander' & the terracing 'The Clan'.Quite enjoyed the bagpipe player who was situated on the sidelines of the pitch throughout the game & would every now & again give a rendition. The Scotch pies on sale are from Murdoch's & apparently won the award last year for Scotch pie of the year.The only other place in London you can buy these are in Harrods! Pre match drinks for me was in the nearby Shaftesbury Arms a Youngs pub.The Youngs Bitter being £1.80 a pint to celebrate the 180th anniversary of the Youngs brewery.Apparently many Youngs pubs are hosting this offer until this Sunday (25th). The Athletics Ground,Richmond is an easy 5 minute walk to/from Richmond station.

Matches Attended 2019 -20 : 34
New Grounds 2019-20: 33

(This post was edited by Fleetfan on Sep 22, 2011, 3:07 PM)

Ostrich
First Team Sub

Sep 24, 2011, 5:57 PM

Post #40 of 1758 (78200 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fleetfan] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Egg-chasing again today, ticking the second of four newcomers in Midlands 1 West. After today’s fixture, I’m averaging 71 ½ points a game this season …… Sly

Saturday 24 September 2011
Midlands 1 West
Sutton Coldfield RFC 82 Dunlop RFC 14
Admission & programme – £4 (non member). The programme is 16pp of which 10 are advertising, and take out the front cover, teams on the back, a generic welcome from the Club Chairman and a three page match report on the last game, you’re left with … nothing. It’s certainly deteriorated from a couple of years back, but there you go. Be grateful there’s anything at all, I guess.
Refreshments from the bar (The Hard Ruck Café) – 2 x black coffees £1 each. <sigh> It’s diet time again. Unimpressed
Attendance – 166 (h/c). That’s pretty much the same as the football team.

Dunlop were promoted as champions of Midlands 2 West (South) last season and I should think are playing at their highest level ever. Sutton Coldfield missed promotion out of Midlands 1 West by narrowly losing the runners-up playoff, and they ain’t going to make the same mistake again. The result today was pretty much a foregone conclusion. Interestingly, this was the first rugby match I can recall seeing without a single penalty attempt at goal.

The exchange referee from the Manchester Society, Chris Bennett, was being assessed and was duly miked up. I’m led to believe there’s quite a lot of formal assessing going on at this level at the moment. He was pretty lenient in a slightly ill-tempered first half that led to a few bouts of handbags, and one slightly more enthusiastic set-to after the Sutton full back had followed up his own kick, and taken out the Dunlop catcher by tripping him. He was also lenient with some pretty blatant offside offences, mainly from Dunlop, but nevertheless managed to sin-bin two Dunlop players for foul play.

Sutton reigned supreme in the scrum from the offset and opened their account on 6m when their full-back beat three defenders in the course of a long swerving run and winger Burchill made it 14-0 after 15m, outpacing the Dunlop No.6 over 30 yards. Sutton prop Davies bulldozed over at close range after 26m and the home side’s No.13 scored their 4th try on 39m with a 40 yard run through a despairing defence.

It was blinkin’ cold outside today, and I spent the second half reclining in luxury, watching the game through the panoramic windows of the upstairs bar – a much better place to view the match than the touchline, but as there were only 5 people in there including me, no sound!!

Straight after the interval, a Dunlop defender’s kick was intercepted by Sutton’s No.6 and the ball was spun out for Burchill to go over in the corner for an unconverted try to make it 33-0, but Dunlop then rallied and pulled the score back to 33-14 with two converted tries from No.12, including one sweet catch of a well-placed chip into far corner.

That galvanized Sutton, and they then took the game by the scruff of the neck running in 7 converted tries, mainly from long range through a non-existant defence, with 5 coming in the last 10 minutes as a dispirited and tired Dunlop totally folded.

(This post was edited by Ostrich on Sep 24, 2011, 5:58 PM)

eesti7
First Team Sub

Sep 24, 2011, 6:01 PM

Team(s): Gillingham, Tonbridge

Post #41 of 1758 (78198 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fleetfan] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday, 24 September

National League Three (London & South-East)

Tonbridge Juddians 37 CS Rugby 1863 20

Admission £5 (inc programme)
Attendance 100ish

Juddians are this season enjoying their highest status since the introduction of a Rugby Union pyramid, much like Tonbridge Angels, so I felt it was time for a second visit to their base on Tonbridge sports ground.

Due to their lofty status they now have to charge admission, but you also get a 32 page B5 size programme printed on glossy paper too, which was an unexpected bones. The club-house sells real ale from the local Larkins and Westerham breweries and also had a range of bottled real ales for a reasonable £2 per bottle or 3 for £5. Pre-match the club house was split between those having a drink and those (in silly blazers) having a lunch.

Juddians play on a roped off pitch, with advertising hoardings behind each goal. The ground is seperated from the main part of Tonbridge sports ground by the river Medway. This season they have erected a low plastic fence to seperate the club's territory from a public footpath on matchdays.

There are a number of players from the southern hemisphere in the Juddians team, and they've helped the club romp to league titles three years in a row. Defeat to Canterbury a fortnight ago was their first home defeat for over three years. Now they're in a higher league there won't be so many romps and they were pegged back by a skilful CS team for much of the game. The score was a fair 20-20 with only 10 minutes to go before Tonbridge scored two tries and a penalty to make the final score look a little flattering.

CS Rugby 1863 are the old civil service team. They split from the football club in 1863, were one the clubs who founded the RFU in 1871 and are one of only a handful of clubs who attended the meeting who still exist.

I have to say that I am probably more of an armchair rugby union watcher. I need to have the intricacies and refereeing decisions spoon-fed to me. CS scored their first try on the far side in the opening minutes. Those around me commented on what a good try it was. However all I could see was a big pile of big blokes who only appeared to stop bundling over each other when the ref blew his whistle. I really could have done with a close-up video replay to help me make sense of it.

(This post was edited by eesti7 on Sep 24, 2011, 6:05 PM)

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 24, 2011, 10:56 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #42 of 1758 (78176 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eesti7] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

SRU RBS West Division One

Irvine 20-5 Allan Glen's

Irvine Sports Club

Admission by programme £3 (although there was no pressure to buy a programme)
Attendance 100+

Irvine Sports Club is a well-appointed facility with a cricket pitch, hockey pitch, bowling green, three rugby pitches and a football pitch (being used by Ayrshire Amateur League side Clark Drive) inside a running track. There is a large bar, a large function room and ample changing facilities.

The visitors, from Glasgow, carry the name of a school closed for over 20 years. It was originally a fee-paying selective school (hence the connection with rugby) but in the 70s it moved into the state sector and closed in the 80s). Former pupils include Dirk Bogarde, Charles Rennie Mackintosh and erm .. B A Robertson.

Both sides had a Won 2, Lost 1 record going into this match. Everything pointed to a close match and that's how the first half panned out with the visitors leading 5-0 at half time. In the second half Irvine were dominant and ran in three tries to win the match 20-5.

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 1, 2011, 6:44 PM

Post #43 of 1758 (78052 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 1st October 2011
Barnsley 16 Wath-upon-Dearne 31 (HT 6-17)
Yorkshire Two
Admission £3 (including 16pp, full-colour, glossy programme)
Attendance 200 (h/c)

Tea/coffee available from a typically sour-faced teenage girl, who put me off sampling either

One of those rugby union games which reinforced just how good rugby league is by comparison. This leaden mess of a match was awful. I doubt there were more than 30 seconds of continuous play at any point in a derby significant mainly because it ended Barnsley's 15-game unbeaten run stretching back to last season. Union, even when played competently, is bedevilled by macro stoppages, and this had them in spades. The referee spotted an infringement at almost every play, the physios were on the pitch constantly to treat injuries (why can't play continue around the casualty, as in rugby league?), and Barnsley in particular came up with a colossal number of unforced errors. What excuse, on a warm, dry day, is there for repeatedly dropping the ball? Wath, who put together what few moments of quality there were, led 17-6 at the break after scoring two tries. Another touchdown (well worked; easily the best moment of the game) a couple of minutes into the second half killed the contest, and though Barnsley eventually crossed twice, the visitors rubbed in their superiority with a stoppage-time try.

Shame what happened on the pitch (in front of a decent crowd) was so dire because the facilities at Shaw Lane are excellent. It never ceases to surprise me just how much money there is washing about in the lower reaches of rugby union. Barnsley's tidy, tree-fringed ground, part of a complex shared with cricket, athletics, bowls, archery and ju jitsu, has a modern stand, with four rows of seats, on the west side. An unusual design reminiscent of Garforth Town FC, its roof is attached to, and cantilevered above and beyond, the main structure of the stand. This, to the rear of the seats, consists of something akin to a single, elongated executive box. It was empty. What a waste of a resource. The clubhouse and dressings rooms take up half the east side. There is hardstanding around a superb pitch (£3,000 has been spent improving it recently), and Shaw Lane has floodlights - a rarity at this level of rugby union. Excellent programme, too. Well above the Yorkshire leagues average, which tends to be a photocopied insert within a glossy advertising shell.

Came away thinking what I always think when I go to rugby union: it's not an especially watchable sport. Next time I can't be arsed with football (or, to be more accurate, travelling a long distance in sweltering heat), I'll pick a rugby league fixture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6201212668/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6200697519/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6201206246/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6200694807/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6200693347/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6201203384/in/photostream

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Oct 1, 2011, 7:50 PM)

cl
Youth Team Regular

Oct 1, 2011, 9:43 PM

Post #44 of 1758 (78036 views)
Shortcut

Am tempted to use the Barnsley report as a template as my post is almost identical

Longton 14 Newport 9 National League 3 Midlands ( if that makes sense)

Having become fed up with non existent facilites and the same 2 motorways most weeks, the hot weather and reports of both the M1 & M6 being congested, it made sense to go locally and get back to watch Wigan Saints on tv

Facilites are excellent and Longton appeared to have obtained grants totalling £3.5million to build their facilities, an excellent bar, good choice of food and three real ales and whilst no cover as such, a balcony to watch from. Off the field the facilities would match any amateur rl club

However nothing of interest happened. there were numerous stoppages, decisions I did not understand ( which I have no reason to doubt were right) but where the attacking team were penalised more frequently and an away side who considered the purpose of the game was to score penalties and rarely went for tries during 80 plus mins. That's before the level of ball handling is considered

Attendance about 125 admission £5 inc prog also fully glossy and nothing in the text to hold the information nor fixture list stats etc

Simply because of the unreliability of rl fixtures and the disatnce I will probably do more but think I need a ground of character to put me in the mood. Any suggestions in England, Birkenhead Park Halifax and Waterloo I am told fit the bill, but in the midlands there seems nothing apart from Rugby where I have seen football

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 2, 2011, 9:43 AM

Post #45 of 1758 (78019 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cl] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Commiserations on all fronts, cl! I recall once going with my brother to a midweek Yorkshire Cup rugby union game at Halifax (v Huddersfield). He turned to me at half-time, and said: "Well, that 40 minutes passed off almost entirely without incident." This (certainly from an RL perspective) neatly summarises RU, which I use as a safe 'filler' - say, when the weather is poor, and football is not guaranteed to take place. RU appears to be immune to waterlogging! Despite not liking RU all that much (it's very frustrating), I've managed to rattle up about 130 grounds over the years. Those I'd recommend (for characterful facilities - some fabulous old wooden grandstands) would be: Otley, Morley, Kendal, Waterloo, Gloucester, Leicester, Durham City, Bedford, Walsall, Birkenhead Park, Maesteg, Aberavon, Newport, Swansea (St Helen's), New Brighton, Gala, Skipton, Cleckheaton, Pontypridd and Westoe. Welsh grounds generally are great, and the people very much like rugby league fans in background and outlook. For scenic settings, Wharfedale (Threshfield) and North Ribblesdale (Settle) are hard to beat. Halifax isn't bad in this respect, though the old stand has gone. Coventry had a wonderful barrel roofed stand, but have now relocated, sadly, to an uninteresting modern stadium. Good luck with it, should you persevere.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Oct 2, 2011, 9:45 AM)

The Moose
First Team Star

Oct 2, 2011, 8:47 PM

Team(s):

Post #46 of 1758 (77986 views)
Shortcut

EGGCHASING PREM: BATH RUGBY 26 LEICESTER TIGERS 25

TKTS: Paid £30 for two season tkt seats PROG: £3 ATT: 11,768

So basking in the Mediterranean sunshine..... oh no hang on a mo twuz the posh place in Zummerzet! Many around us wilted in the heat so god knows how the players got through and managed to give a performance that kept you guessing till the last kick as to who was going to win. We went by Thomas the Tank so made excellent use of Bath's CAMRA facilities and Madam even thought my Sin Bin ale was quite palatable Tongue Back to the footy next week.

KRTM Cool

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 8, 2011, 8:04 PM

Post #47 of 1758 (77792 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 8th October 2011
Hartlepool Rovers 26 Gosforth 3 (HT 13-3)
Durham Northumberland Division One
Admission £3 (including 20pp programme; 8pp photocopied about today's game in 12pp glossy shell)
Attendance 140 (h/c)
Tea (in a mug) 60p

After everything derogatory I said about rugby union last week, I find myself at a bit more hunt, punt and grunt this. Put simply, there was no football I fancied (or rather ticked my minimum requirement boxes of offering a new ground and a guaranteed programme) within sensible driving range. Refreshingly, Hartlepool Rovers are much more of a working class outfit than RU clubs generally appear to be. Their ground, The New Friarage, home since 1948, is located in one of the grottier parts of a horrible town, assuming what used to be called Hartlepools has any swanky districts. It's nearer to Hart and the Headland than West Hartlepool, where the modern town centre developed around the railway station.

The New Friarage is a ground I've wanted to visit since first glimpsing it, many years ago, from a train on the adjacent Durham coast railway line. Up until the 1970s, Rovers, founded in 1879, were one of the stronger union clubs in the North, and their facilities reflect this former status. There's terracing (nicely unkempt, with weeds permitted to prosper) and two stands, one the sort of delightfully rickety cover which is disappearing from football, and the other an all-seated structure now minus its roof. Not quite as drastic a pruning as at Workington FC, but not far off. The clubhouse is unsurprisingly large (we all know that what goes on off the pitch in union is far more important than events on it), and dominates the West Hartlepool end. Glass cases in the foyer contain some fabulous Rovers-related memorabilia (shirts, caps, medals, programmes etc) going back to the club's early days. The ground is trapped between two towering railway embankments (one disused), which give the impression of being about to stage a potentially deadly pincer movement. Oh, and there are floodlights. On old-fashioned pylons, to boot. Instant favourite with me, this set-up.

The grey, uninviting North Sea is about 150 yards from the ground, and the game was played out in mizzle. You could taste the salt in the air. Quite a contrast to last week's sweltering heat at Barnsley. Once-mighty Gosforth, reborn during the late 1990s in the wake of meddler-in-chief Sir John Hall's Newcastle Falcons ego trip, dominated the opening quarter, but had only a penalty to show for their territorial superiority. Rovers, who had won their four previous league games, collecting a bonus point on each occasion, replied in kind twice, and added a converted try in stoppage time for a 13-3 interval lead. The visitors had their moments in the second half as well, but Rovers eased away with two more tries (neither converted) and a penalty. With more composure in the Gosforth 22, they'd have had another bonus point.

Enjoyed this. Uncompromising stuff in miserable weather. Reminded me of the rugby league I watched as a lad at Fartown and Thrum Hall. Mind you, there were far more basic errors in this match!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6223306757/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6223825880/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6223303361/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6223822268/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6223820668/in/photostream

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Oct 8, 2011, 8:11 PM)

Ostrich
First Team Sub

Oct 8, 2011, 11:19 PM

Post #48 of 1758 (77767 views)
Shortcut

Saturday 8th October, 2011
Midlands 1 West
Walsall RFC 58 Kenilworth RFC 8
Admission - £4 (non member), including programme – 28pp and by far the best I’ve seen at this level. Looks like it’s a 20 pp shell with 8pp added for the specific match, but a good read, complete with club history and core statistics.
Refreshments – Pukka balti pie £2 and (3/4 of a cup of) black coffee £1. I was assured twice that they would make sure the pie was warm enough – when it arrived after a lengthy sojourn in the microwave, it was red hot and I needed a jackhammer to get through the crust …..
Attendance – 158 (h/c).

Opening the programme, the inside cover was an advert from the club shirt sponsors, OWB. Never heard of them? Let me enlighten you:
<picture of rugby forward with face pixelled out …..>
“This man is 23 stone. He has a problem. He enjoys putting his head into dark places, bathing with men and playing with odd shaped balls … Please Help Us Stop This Cruelty.”
“OWB – the National OverWeight Blokes Society.”
“Together, We can Stop Eating all the Pies…”

SlySlySly

Actually, OWB are a creative advertising campaign agency based in Birmingham … if that’s a sample of their work, brilliant!

My first visit to Delves Road, which is not a million miles from Bescot Stadium, and set in the shadow of the monster Walsall campus of the University of Wolverhampton. The ground has parking for around 50 cars, and was pretty much full when I arrived an hour before kick-off. The club have been in situ since 1931 and the rather faded clubhouse / changing rooms are based in an old wartime brick building. On display in the bar are numerous signed shirts, including donations from illustrious former players Jan Webster (England scrum-half in the late 60’s), Terry Cobner, Rupert Moon and Colin Charvis (Wales). There’s a hatch servery for food, which was perhaps a trifle over-priced, and the Gents was locked, although I did eventually find alternative access via the players’ changing rooms ….

Outside, there’s a long, low, metal and plywood stand down most of one side which apparently they acquired from Bloxwich Strollers FC, and a scoreboard of the “hang a number on a peg” variety. The main ground is railed and floodlit, and there’s a second pitch adjacent, set at a lower level, on which the 3rds were playing Burntwood.

The match started with a points-fest – after 13 minutes of action, Walsall were leading 17-8. Kenilworth (relegated from National 3 last year) had twice been in the lead, thanks to an opening penalty, and then a lumbering try from their No.1 after he had blocked a kick out of defence. But Walsall looked sharp, with clever close interchanging between the forwards keeping movements alive - they were consistently nicking possession from Kenilworth line-outs, and in those 13 minutes had scored three tries. Kenilworth, on the other hand, were finding it easy to penetrate a rather weak defence, but they couldn’t quite break through to score.

There followed a period of fairly even play, with the main focal point being the stretchering off of a Burntwood player from the lower pitch to await, presumably, an ambulance.

Billy Hadkiss (Leicestershire Society) refereed unfussily, although he did have to step in and sin-bin Kenilworth’s 12 for what I think was stamping in a maul on 36m. By then, Walsall’s powerful forwards had put them more or less out of sight, and the half-time score was 32-8.

I retired to the clubhouse for a cheese and onion cob (£1) and having made my purchase, turned and very nearly tripped over the aforementioned injured Burntwood player, who had been dumped, still on his stretcher, on the floor alongside the hatch!! He was wearing an inflatable protective boot and seemed relatively cheerful, taking all things into consideration.

The second half opened with Walsall looking a bit more laid back, and neither side made much progress in the third quarter. However, in the last twenty minutes, Walsall ran in 4 more tries to advance the score to 58-8 and Kenilworth looked a well beaten side. Just Ludlow left to see now to re-tick the League, and I’m averaging an unprecedented 69 points a match this season (3 games)!

simonblues
Youth Team Regular

Oct 9, 2011, 8:30 PM

Post #49 of 1758 (77740 views)
Shortcut

Really pleased to see a report from by club Walsall RUFC. I attend all home matches here as a member with my aging father and do my hopping on other saturdays.

Glad poster enjoyed his visit to this traditional rugby club.

Please note that there are plans in hand for a new ground in the near future so if you haven't visited Delves road before you will be very welcome. A programme is issued for all first team league matches.

StephenHarris
First Team Sub

Oct 10, 2011, 11:21 AM

Post #50 of 1758 (77721 views)
Shortcut
Re: [simonblues] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wednesday 12 October
British & Irish Cup
London Welsh vs Bedford Blues. 7:30pm
I plan to be at this game, which is being played at the London Irish Amateur Ground, The Avenue, Sunbury on Thames (just around the corner from Sunbury Station).

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 71 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3