Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 32 Next page Last page  View All

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 28, 2011, 11:42 AM

Post #1 of 790 (31863 views)
Shortcut
Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You Can't Post or Reply Privately

Reading the thread on Non-League Regional Boundaries had me thinking.

I live in the central south of England, but according to the weather presenters they can't decide whether Hampshire is in the South East or South West.

Can they make up the minds or occasionally mention the weather in the central south

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 28, 2011, 1:26 PM

Post #2 of 790 (31845 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

I live in the central south of England, but according to the weather presenters they can't decide whether Hampshire is in the South East or South West.

Can they make up the minds or occasionally mention the weather in the central south

I was told by a chap in Chichester that the South (central south) is from Littlehampton to Portland and as far north as the Berkshire Downs, I would not disagree with him.

Hampshire (and the Isle of Wight) are like Oxfordshire for some reason in the South East according to the government, despite a third of the East region being South East of Oxfordshire, to me the South East is Kent, most of Sussex, Surrey, Greater London. Parts of the south east are further from my house than most of mid Wales and south Manchester, in fact Exeter is nearer than Ramsgate. Parts of the county are little over 40 miles from the Welsh border, the nearest tidal water is in the Severn, Oxford is 50 miles from Meridan and some say the landmass centre of the country is actually in the north of the county. As a lad Oxford was in the South Midlands, but now we are not allowed to call it that, though the BBC weather people still do use the term for the area.

To me the west country does not start until Bristol, the south west is Cornwall, Devon, parts of Somerset and west Dorset.

The north starts at Crewe, Mansfield is in the Midlands but Chesterfield is in the north.

Most of Lincolnshire is in the East not the East Midlands, no where with a coastline can be in the Midlands.

Bedfordshire is the only county in England that is not next to the coast / tidal water or next to a county that is next to the coast / tidal water - ie two counties away from the coast / tidal water.

Tim

Apr 28, 2011, 1:32 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #3 of 790 (31840 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Molders, Gloucestershire is most definitely in the West Country, and to judge from the speech patterns of the inhabitants of Kidderminster, Worcestershire is too.

VP

Apr 28, 2011, 1:46 PM

Post #4 of 790 (31836 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

We're on the Surrey / Hampshire / Berkshire borders.
There are all sorts of anomalies around here regarding real and imagined boundaries but this area is usually classed as South East. I'd say the South East finishes at about Basingstoke / Alton.

I lok forward to the day when the local councils get together and form themselves into a unitary authority across the three county boundaries. Surrey Heath BC came up with the idea to abolish itself to save money but some Hampshire CC people are against it. We may even invite Bracknell Forest to the party as well. It'd make sense as the communication links and towns in the area cross county boundaries all the time and the councils already have to come to agreements about who's responsible for road maintenance etc. so having one authority based around what the ONS call the Aldershot Urban Area (http://en.wikipedia.org/...Aldershot_Urban_Area)
would make things easier IMO.

The area is already known as the Blackwater Valley. Can't see anyone being against that as the name for the unitary authority if it ever happens.

(This post was edited by VP on Apr 28, 2011, 1:49 PM)

dottirofhod

Apr 28, 2011, 1:54 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #5 of 790 (31829 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
The north starts at Crewe, Mansfield is in the Midlands but Chesterfield is in the north.

Thank you Molders , official at last.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 84 / 72 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 09 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(0-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new ground)./ Iberia = P = 0-1 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

garethwrexy

Apr 28, 2011, 1:57 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #6 of 790 (31824 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

people who say that holywell has a worse drug problem than any other town in north wales when it doesnt ! Mad

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 28, 2011, 4:32 PM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #7 of 790 (31801 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
people who say that holywell has a worse drug problem than any other town in north wales when it doesnt ! Mad

Totally agree. They are all as bad as each other...........

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 28, 2011, 6:18 PM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #8 of 790 (31784 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

My mum & dad live in Castle Douglas, a small town in SW Scotland about an hours drive west of Carlisle where our regional ITV "Border TV" was based. Recently Border & Tyne Tees merged some services to cut costs and now the majority of our news & weather is based in Newcastle. Previously SW Scotland had reasonably fair news coverage but when I was home for a fortnight over Christmas & New Year, and more recently for my sister's wedding, Lookaround (the Border News program) reported on nothing in Scotland west of Annan. Plenty of news from Carlisle, Maryport, Whitehaven, Workington, Isle of Man and Scottish Borders, but nothing referring to Dumfries, Kirkcudbrightshire or Stranraer. For what is supposed to be our "local" station their move to Newcastle has had a definite detrimental effect on coverage of our area. BBC is as much use to us as a f*rt in a hurricane because (unless something earth-shattering happens in Galloway) BBC Scotland give us the impression Scotland starts at Lesmahagow.

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 28, 2011, 6:25 PM

Post #9 of 790 (31780 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blackdouglas] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Similar down here for local TV coverage.

BBC South from Weymouth in the west to Brighton in the East to Buckingham in the North

Meridian's even worse - Weymouth in the West, Kent and South Essex in the East and as far north as Buckingham.

Meridian used to have a South and South East studio to split them up but this is no more so for example a factory fire in Southend is now deemed local news for us in Hampshire and those in South West Dorset.

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor

jrev61

Apr 28, 2011, 6:52 PM

Team(s): None

Post #10 of 790 (31771 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

I was told by a chap in Chichester that the South (central south) is from Littlehampton to Portland and as far north as the Berkshire Downs, I would not disagree with him.

Hampshire (and the Isle of Wight) are like Oxfordshire for some reason in the South East according to the government, despite a third of the East region being South East of Oxfordshire, to me the South East is Kent, most of Sussex, Surrey, Greater London. Parts of the south east are further from my house than most of mid Wales and south Manchester, in fact Exeter is nearer than Ramsgate. Parts of the county are little over 40 miles from the Welsh border, the nearest tidal water is in the Severn, Oxford is 50 miles from Meridan and some say the landmass centre of the country is actually in the north of the county. As a lad Oxford was in the South Midlands, but now we are not allowed to call it that, though the BBC weather people still do use the term for the area.

To me the west country does not start until Bristol, the south west is Cornwall, Devon, parts of Somerset and west Dorset.

Most of Lincolnshire is in the East not the East Midlands, no where with a coastline can be in the Midlands.

Bedfordshire is the only county in England that is not next to the coast / tidal water or next to a county that is next to the coast / tidal water - ie two counties away from the coast / tidal water.

Isn't the Nene tidal at Wisbech in neighbouring Cambridgeshire?

jrev61

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 28, 2011, 8:40 PM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #11 of 790 (31759 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

You mean double-landlocked. You do learn things from watching Eggheads.

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

sjosta
First Team Regular

Apr 28, 2011, 11:38 PM

Team(s): Groundhopper, ABE

Post #12 of 790 (31739 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Excuse me while I butt in on your geographically challenged spat

Chesterfield is 53.236 deg north
Mansfield is 53.1472 deg north,
while Crewe is 53.1018 deg north

Shurely shome mishtake?

Football seen in: Scotland (268 grounds), England (969), Germany (289), Sweden (208), Netherlands (67), Wales (27), Ireland (S&N)(23/4), Austria (9), France (6), Denmark(5), Belgium(3),Italy(2), Luxembourg (2), Spain (2), Liechtenstein, Jersey, Switzerland, Canada
Figures correct(ish) at end of season 14-15 (1898 total)
For all your Fife needs:
Fife Junior History

dottirofhod

Apr 28, 2011, 11:44 PM

Post #13 of 790 (31734 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sjosta] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Shurely shome mishtake?

Shtand your ground Molders. No sphat !

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 84 / 72 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 09 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(0-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new ground)./ Iberia = P = 0-1 & S = 0-0.

Jamesie
Deleted

Apr 28, 2011, 11:48 PM

Team(s):

Post #14 of 790 (31731 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Shurely shome mishtake?

Evidently the north starts at 53.15 degrees north then. Southerner. Sly

Just a note to anyone who is wondering, I am no longer a moderator of this forum due to current personal circumstances and work commitments. If you need help, contact leohoenig or Steve walker. Thank You.

UKPunk

Apr 29, 2011, 12:21 AM

Post #15 of 790 (31720 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jamesie] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ties.
What useful purpose do they serve? In my view they don't make you look smart and are a [email protected]@dy nuisance.

Dress codes.
If I'm invited out and there's a dress code I don't go. I've got no problem with wearing trousers and a shirt but there's a difference between wearing them by choice and being told to wear them.

Automated answering machines and call centres.
Why is it that these days when you ring an organisation for help or advice you have to spend five minutes choosing option after option before being transferred to a queue that keeps you on hold for what seems like an eternity? There have even been occasions when the final destination is met with a message like, 'I'm sorry, all our operaters are busy, please ring back later'.

Unmanned railway stations.
If I want to go to a Wivenhoe Town match in midweek I can travel by train without paying. after 6:00PM there are no staff at Clacton-on-Sea rail station. If you want a ticket you have to use the ticket machine (which is what I do). Wivenhoe is an unmanned station so there's no-one checking tickets at that end either. Also, I have never yet seen a ticket inspector on the train at that time of the evening. All the locals are aware of this and take adventage of it. No wonder fares are so high when countless people get to travel for nothing.

Eastenders.
That programme is largely responsible for teaching a whole generarion that the way to conduct a relationship is to scream at each other. If I had my way I'd force the BBC to broadcast it after the watershed as I really don't believe it's suitable viewing for children, especially younger ones.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

acmold

Apr 29, 2011, 1:20 PM

Post #16 of 790 (31673 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Molders, Gloucestershire is most definitely in the West Country, and to judge from the speech patterns of the inhabitants of Kidderminster, Worcestershire is too.

You can also add Oxfordshire !.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Apr 29, 2011, 1:58 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #17 of 790 (31665 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Unmanned railway stations.
If I want to go to a Wivenhoe Town match in midweek I can travel by train without paying. after 6:00PM there are no staff at Clacton-on-Sea rail station. If you want a ticket you have to use the ticket machine (which is what I do). Wivenhoe is an unmanned station so there's no-one checking tickets at that end either. Also, I have never yet seen a ticket inspector on the train at that time of the evening. All the locals are aware of this and take adventage of it. No wonder fares are so high when countless people get to travel for nothing.

That's not uncommon in places like Holland, Germany and Austria either ........but they pay in the main. I recall, to my embarrassment, an incident with a friend who was living in Vienna back in the eighties; we went to board a tram and I didn't "clip" my ticket meaning I could use it again and told him so when we got off at the other end. He looked at me quizically and said " if all the people did that, then we would have no transport." It's a mindset thing in this country - from the top down, mind - and I felt extremely ashamed of myself that afternoon.

acmold

Apr 29, 2011, 4:27 PM

Post #18 of 790 (31649 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jamesie] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Shurely shome mishtake?

Taking a line from the Wash to Severn (via Northampton and Banbury), Crewe is further north of that line than Chesterfield despite actually being south. Crewe is nearer to Scotland than Chesterfield despite being south of Chesterfield..

England is more a strange triangle than anyother shape and extends further south in the west and north in the east. As we have said before Lowestoft is north of Birmingham, but Lowestoft opted to play in a South East League.

dottirofhod

Apr 29, 2011, 5:02 PM

Post #19 of 790 (31641 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
The north starts at Crewe. Crewe is nearer to Scotland than Chesterfield despite being south of Chesterfield..

Yup , up your's Jupp.

philglossop
Youth Team Star

Apr 29, 2011, 7:39 PM

Team(s):

Post #20 of 790 (31619 views)
Shortcut

Oh don't get me started on ITV Regional News. When I wake up in the morning I want to know whats happening in Devon and Cornwall- but no, now our local ITV News comes from Bristol. When is wonderfully handy if the main road is closed into Plymouth (as it was the other morning) and I get told that a squirrel has farted just outside Swindon- so expect delays in Much Farting on AvonPirate

Thank god for BBC Spotlight!

Jamesie
Deleted

Apr 29, 2011, 8:43 PM

Team(s):

Post #21 of 790 (31607 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
The north starts at Crewe. Crewe is nearer to Scotland than Chesterfield despite being south of Chesterfield..

In Reply To
Yup , up your's Jupp.

Sly... you're still a southerner Hoddy!!! Andy's just trying to disown Crewe, that's all.

Just a note to anyone who is wondering, I am no longer a moderator of this forum due to current personal circumstances and work commitments. If you need help, contact leohoenig or Steve walker. Thank You.

jrev61

Apr 29, 2011, 11:38 PM

Team(s): None

Post #22 of 790 (31580 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Shurely shome mishtake?

Taking a line from the Wash to Severn (via Northampton and Banbury), Crewe is further north of that line than Chesterfield despite actually being south. Crewe is nearer to Scotland than Chesterfield despite being south of Chesterfield..

England is more a strange triangle than anyother shape and extends further south in the west and north in the east. As we have said before Lowestoft is north of Birmingham, but Lowestoft opted to play in a South East League.

I think you'll find Crewe is actually nearer to Chesterfield than it is to Scotland, but I know what you meant!

jrev61

acmold

Apr 30, 2011, 9:36 AM

Post #23 of 790 (31542 views)
Shortcut
Re: [philglossop] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Oh don't get me started on ITV Regional News. When I wake up in the morning I want to know whats happening in Devon and Cornwall- but no, now our local ITV News comes from Bristol. When is wonderfully handy if the main road is closed into Plymouth (as it was the other morning) and I get told that a squirrel has farted just outside Swindon- so expect delays in Much Farting on AvonPirate

Thank god for BBC Spotlight!

ITV regional news is a joke, 99% of our news is south of us despite our transmitter actually being north of where I live. There is now a large void on ITV which used to be 50% of the Central South area that they don't cover these days, parts of Oxfordshire, Bucks, Warwickshire, Northants and Gloucestershire get no coverage or are on programmes people in those places can't pick up - on one TV forum it's been noted that viewers in the wrong parts (dues to hills, landscape, etc) of Coventry and Solihull now end up with news from Southampton and Brighton. I have also noticed on both BBC and ITV when a area is in a overlap area (north Wilts, parts of Lincolnshire, Milton Keynes, etc) those areas tend to get good coverage because one report can go on two programmes..

Mishi

Apr 30, 2011, 9:54 AM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #24 of 790 (31540 views)
Shortcut

Just to clarify...the North starts once you cross Waterloo Bridge, over the Thames!

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

dottirofhod

Apr 30, 2011, 1:51 PM

Post #25 of 790 (31509 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Just to clarify...the North starts once you cross Waterloo Bridge, over the Thames!

And the South starts at Weston up this end. That's a big middle bit ?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 32 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3