Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 32 Next page Last page  View All

cope1
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 30, 2011, 2:52 PM

Post #26 of 790 (11273 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well I get annoyed by people in public spaces who have no awareness of anyone else. When you wait for the lift at Russell Square tube people stand about 10 feet back from the bugger while others are struggling to get up off the platform. Beware though, if you do something sensible like walk into the 10ft of empty space everyone will gang up on you for being 'childish' and 'pushing in'. When you get up to the top there is invariably a group of Italians standing directly outside the barriers which you have to push through, all looking surprised as they 18th group of people push them out of the way. And then you get to work and have to get the lift up to the 9th floor only for a group of brainless students to be too busy chatting to realise the lift has arrived, wait until the doors closed and then press the frigging button again! Invariably they are too stupid to notice that the doors opening again and you have to go through the entire palaver again. Would be less annoying if they were actually going UP, but half the time they press up and down 'just in case', failing to realise that if you just press the direction you want, you'll get the next lift going rather than going 9 floors up just to go one floor down!!!!

As for regional boundaries, these bother me less but are far more interesting. I consider the south-east to be Kent, Sussex, Surrey, Greater London, Essex, Middlesex, west Hampshire, west Berkshire and south Herts. And maybe a bit of south Bucks too. For me, Oxford is south midlands, as is Bedfordshire (although that's also east) and the midlands do include Lincolnshire as the 'mid' bit, in my opinion, refers solely to north/south, not east/west. I'd accept Crewe as the gateway to the north.

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Apr 30, 2011, 6:36 PM

Team(s): Brentford (for my sins - obviously done something really bad in a past life

Post #27 of 790 (11266 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Right... my turn for a rant. But before I do, when I used to go up to Kidsgrove for work, staying in either Crewe or Alsager if the need arose, I always felt I was going up to the midlands... north midlands perhaps, but still the midlands. Manchester was definitely the North, Stevenage or Letchworth dodgy but probably best described as the marches.

Having got that out of the way (not really all that fussed about whether Stevenage and Kidsgrove are both or neither in the midlands, tried to avoid both), my real rant, or rather three, both to do with driving:

(1) Yellow "Baby on board" signs. What's that supposed to tell me? Generally speaking, there are no babies or small children, so either you're lying or you've lost your child somewhere in a shopping centre. I have, oddly enough, managed to avoid ramming into the car in front of me: normally, it's something I try to avoid. Your sign telling me that you have a child in your family (although rarely in the car at the time) is never going to make me **less** likely to slam into the back of you. Trust me on this. I'll try to avoid it anyway.

(2) Lane narrowing from 2 to 1. The most logical and effective way is that everyone drives up to the point at which it narrows, each keeping to their own lane, and then slide in one for one. What often happens however is that when the sign says "2 lanes going down to 1 - 1 mile", everyone pulls into the inside lane, creates even more of a traffic jam, and then rants at cars charging up the outside lane. The rule should be: stay in lane until the road narrows, then feed in, one by one. Trust me, I've seen the system work, and it really does reduce everyone's waiting time.

(3) to do with English motorway driving particularly. There are three or four lanes on the motorway in South-East England. Use them all!! I've sometimes driven down to Dover thinking I've had my own private lane, driving at the speed limit down the inside lane while there's been huge queues of cars outside me.

VP

Apr 30, 2011, 7:20 PM

Post #28 of 790 (11260 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrelux] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

(3) to do with English motorway driving particularly. There are three or four lanes on the motorway in South-East England. Use them all!! I've sometimes driven down to Dover thinking I've had my own private lane, driving at the speed limit down the inside lane while there's been huge queues of cars outside me.

I hear you brother.
I use the M3 to go to and from work. It's only one junction, about 4 miles. I will, almost everytime I use this route, go past cars who sit in the middle lane whilst I stay in the inside lane.
Today coming back from football I used the same stretch of motorway. Three cars all in line doing 60-65mph in the middle lane which I happily went past on the inside lane as it was empty.
This happens nearly every time I go on the M25 as well although sometimes you're two or three lanes away from the muppets who are scared to move across.
They pull onto the motorway, go straight into lane 2 which becomes lane 3 at times and stay there until they finally decide to come off which they also leave to the last second and have to cut across two or three lanes in order to make the junction.
There are often accidents on the M25 approach from the M3 because of this and, when that happens, it can affect the traffic locally even though we're 15 miles away.
It drives me mental that, in all my years of driving, I've only seen two people pulled up by the police for dangerous driving on the motorway.

http://www.howmotorwayswork.co.uk/index.htm

(This post was edited by VP on Apr 30, 2011, 7:24 PM)

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Apr 30, 2011, 8:57 PM

Team(s): Brentford (for my sins - obviously done something really bad in a past life

Post #29 of 790 (11243 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

And it's worse when you've got a relatively empty motorway. I generally pull into the inside lane, when I can... then you see a car in the near distance, travelling all by itself at 65 mph in the middle lane. I'll never deliberately undertake a car, so it means pulling out two lanes to overtake, then pulling in two lanes. With the cost of fuel nowadays, one shouldn't ignore the extra cost of these manoeuvres! However, and to most people's (but not everyone's) credit, it's true that most having been overtaken will then also realise their folly and pull into the empty inside lane. Obviously, hat and glove wearers and pipe smokers are oblivious. Also anyone with a mustache.

Worst of all however are the Dutch. If you're barrelling down a German autobahn, for example, you can expect people to look in their rear view mirror before pulling out in their caravan to overtake a lorry. To a Dutchman however, and to a man, the mere fact of putting his indicator on obviates any need to look in his rear view mirror... when you get close behind him, and the indicator comes on, and you look in your own rear view mirror and decide there's nothing behind you, so he can't possibly pull out, because you're going to have to jam on your brakes... well, he is going to give you a brake test. And after you've slammed on the brakes, travelling at 30 mph faster than the car which has just pulled out 20 ft in front of you, recovered all the stuff which you were carrying in the back seat and is now in the front, also recovered your sanity, and decided on a place to get your trousers cleaned, and eventually sailed past him... he is still utterly oblivious. He's loaded up the caravan with all the food he's going to need for his holiday, so he doesn't need to buy anything and Marieke can still provide the milk, cheese slices and meatballs they'd bought in Utrecht, which together with the sack of potatos they've also brought should be enough to last them the two weeks holiday in the South of France where they will be able to avoid spending any money...

... sorry, am I ranting? I think I may be.

VP

Apr 30, 2011, 9:13 PM

Post #30 of 790 (11235 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrelux] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As we're onto Europe, I know it's a stereotype but Belgian drivers!
I've not driven when I've been there - I'm too scared as it's bad enough trying to cross the road on foot. They don't seem to acknowledge pedestrian crossings like we do. The only cars that stop to let people cross are those with 'foreign' number plates like German and British.

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Apr 30, 2011, 9:34 PM

Post #31 of 790 (11230 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Oh dear, you've got me started now... Belgians... they only had a driving licence in the late 60s and a driving test in the late 70s.

Belgians v Dutch... well Belgians are more erratic, certainly, but I still think the Dutch are more worrying because they're more consistently dangerous. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Faced with a Dutchman, you know he's going to just pull out regardless. A Belgian won't, but he will pull in behind you thinking he's Thierry Boutsen. I don't particularly like either situation, but I am more comfortable with a car sitting 4 ft behind my back bumper (who then passes me and slows down) than one pulling out 4ft in front of me without any warning.

It's funny how you change over time... I used to have no trouble driving around Brussels when I used to live there. Just get used to a degree of randomness, and gain an intimate knowledge of one-way streets (so you know when you can blast through in the safe knowledge that there's nothing coming from your right, and when you need to slow down and look). However, I don't live there anymore, and it shames me to say that I'll now go two extra junctions on the Brussels Ring just so I get the easy route through Place Meiser, rather than barrel my way through as I used to when I lived there.

acmold

May 1, 2011, 10:48 AM

Post #32 of 790 (11201 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrelux] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or

Now we have bits of Motorways that are four lanes wide the "middle lane sitters" now use the third lane, so to keep within the law we all have to go to the 4th lane to pass those doing 55mph in the 3rd lane. The 1st and 2nd lanes sit unused.

Motorway Junctions on the M40, at Bicester and Wycombe travelling south, both have notices, markings etc at least one mile in advance to use the inside to exit the motorway. You get in that lane behind someone doing 40mph who suddenly bumps across the solid markings 50 yards short of the junction, doing this they just avoid the one travelling 85mph who decides 100 yards from the junction that they want to turn off and shoot across all three lanes in the matter of 30 yards usually with no signal.

The Bicester junction again, why 95% of the population do not or cannot understand the words "use both lanes for A34 / Oxford". They all go in one lane and if you use the other one will pull across in front of you to stop you.

Snail roundabouts, all you have to do is get in the correct lane as you enter you will then go onto the correct exit, no most people go around the roundabouts in the outside lane cutting everyone up.

Roundabouts in general why do most of the population fail to signal their exit, or if they do put a signal on a exit before they need to.

Fanatic
First Team Star

May 1, 2011, 2:53 PM

Team(s):

Post #33 of 790 (11178 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

On the motorways theme, people who, when joining the motorway on a slip road that becomes a lane, insist on pulling out into the middle lane. I really don't see what is so hard to understand about signs like the one below.

Nationalist editors on Wikipedia also really annoy me. A small group of them can force ridiculous policies on the whole project simply by behaving so obnoxiously that everyone else gives up. Examples include preventing the phrase "Northern Irish" from being used to describe people (instead they have to be "from Northern Ireland") and a guy who insisted than anyone born in Estonia, Latvia or Lithuania between 1940 and 1990 could not be described as being born in the USSR (according to him they were all independent countries at the time).

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

May 1, 2011, 3:01 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #34 of 790 (11175 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pedants.

VP

May 1, 2011, 3:07 PM

Post #35 of 790 (11173 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Nationalist editors on Wikipedia also really annoy me. A small group of them can force ridiculous policies on the whole project simply by behaving so obnoxiously that everyone else gives up. Examples include preventing the phrase "Northern Irish" from being used to describe people (instead they have to be "from Northern Ireland") and a guy who insisted than anyone born in Estonia, Latvia or Lithuania between 1940 and 1990 could not be described as being born in the USSR (according to him they were all independent countries at the time).

See also Middlesex nationalists(?). Wikipedia is one place where pedantry should be encouraged so places like Staines and Ashford are now in Surrey, not Middlesex. We don't call Hampshire 'Wessex' anymore so Middlesex should go the same way. Granted it's a historical county and I'm not trying to get it erased from all history but it ceased to be in 1965. It is an ex-county.
Even when people begrudgingly admit they're now in Surrey or Greater London they still insist on saying it used to be Middlesex.
The area I live in has possibly been part of Surrey, Mercia, Wessex, Middlesex or Sussex at times. It's Surrey at the moment so that's what I call it.

(This post was edited by VP on May 1, 2011, 3:13 PM)

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 1, 2011, 3:20 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #36 of 790 (11166 views)
Shortcut

Enfield Town supporters...

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

pitch 63
First Team Star

May 2, 2011, 12:38 PM

Post #37 of 790 (11129 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Pedants.

Television
Gareth Crooks
Other road users
Tesco
Census
Thai food
Police helicopters at 1 am in the morning

cope1

May 2, 2011, 7:55 PM

Post #38 of 790 (11098 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

See also Middlesex nationalists(?). Wikipedia is one place where pedantry should be encouraged so places like Staines and Ashford are now in Surrey, not Middlesex. We don't call Hampshire 'Wessex' anymore so Middlesex should go the same way. Granted it's a historical county and I'm not trying to get it erased from all history but it ceased to be in 1965. It is an ex-county.
Even when people begrudgingly admit they're now in Surrey or Greater London they still insist on saying it used to be Middlesex.
The area I live in has possibly been part of Surrey, Mercia, Wessex, Middlesex or Sussex at times. It's Surrey at the moment so that's what I call it.

Argggh!!! Middlesex forever!!!!
OK, not really. But I think it's a personal thing. I'm very into cricket and in cricket Middlesex is very much alive. To my mind, it doens't need a county council to exist. As far as local government is concerned it clearly doesn't exist anymore, but then I don't spend much time pondering local government so it doesn't bother me much.
If we're going down the route of local government though, I have had countless arguments with people who think that moving from an N postcode to an EN postcode means they have moved out of London. I usually tell them to check what it says on their wheelie-bin - 'London Borough of Barnet' is a bit of a give away...

DavetheGlassboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 2, 2011, 8:19 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Warrington RLFC, Stourport HC

Post #39 of 790 (11090 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Snail roundabouts, all you have to do is get in the correct lane as you enter you will then go onto the correct exit, no most people go around the roundabouts in the outside lane cutting everyone up.

Roundabouts in general why do most of the population fail to signal their exit, or if they do put a signal on a exit before they need to.

This very morning, a blue van not only turned right at an island without indicating at all but at the very next island, despite approaching in the "turn left" lane decided he was again going to turn right. So very nearly caused me to have two accidents in two minutes!

Last new ground (846): Vasil Levski Stadium, Sofia - Bulgaria v England 14/10/19
Last game: as above
Football seen in: England, Wales, Scotland, Italy, France, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Spain, Austria, Croatia, Jersey, Sweden, Switzerland, Republic of Ireland, United States of America, Ukraine, Montenegro, Estonia, San Marino, Slovenia, Northern Ireland, Malta, Lithuania, Russia, Belgium, Portugal, Czech Republic, Bulgaria

DavetheGlassboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 2, 2011, 8:23 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Warrington RLFC, Stourport HC

Post #40 of 790 (11089 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DavetheGlassboy] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As we're talking about things which are pointless and annoying how come we're on page 2 and no one's yet mentioned Robbie Savage?

It irks me that someone at 5 Live must have said at some point "I know what'd be a good idea - let's get Robbie Savage on a phone-in show". And someone else must have said "Okay, let's do it". Shocked

Had it been Talk Sport, I'd not have been surprised as Savage would fit in nicely with the other numpties on that station, but I expect better of 5 Live.

Last new ground (846): Vasil Levski Stadium, Sofia - Bulgaria v England 14/10/19
Last game: as above
Football seen in: England, Wales, Scotland, Italy, France, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Spain, Austria, Croatia, Jersey, Sweden, Switzerland, Republic of Ireland, United States of America, Ukraine, Montenegro, Estonia, San Marino, Slovenia, Northern Ireland, Malta, Lithuania, Russia, Belgium, Portugal, Czech Republic, Bulgaria

(This post was edited by DavetheGlassboy on May 2, 2011, 8:25 PM)

VP

May 2, 2011, 8:52 PM

Post #41 of 790 (11082 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I'm very into cricket and in cricket Middlesex is very much alive. To my mind, it doens't need a county council to exist.

I went to the Oval to watch Surrey v Middlesex in the Twenty20 a couple of seasons ago. The Oval announcer got it right when he said "welcome to the London derby". Wink

You're correct in that a county doesn't need a county council to exist but, to my knowledge, Berkshire is the only county where this is the case. They had to bring in a special act of parliament or something to keep it registered as a county when it got split into unitary authorities.

(This post was edited by VP on May 2, 2011, 8:56 PM)

UKPunk

May 2, 2011, 10:40 PM

Post #42 of 790 (11065 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Or even, go around the roundabout in the outside lane, without signalling at all, then take the third or even the fourth exit (on a five exit roundabout), again without signalling.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

garethwrexy

May 2, 2011, 10:43 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #43 of 790 (11061 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pitch 63] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

clive anderson on any panel show just seeing him makes my blood boil Mad

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

cope1

May 2, 2011, 11:54 PM

Post #44 of 790 (11048 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
I'm very into cricket and in cricket Middlesex is very much alive. To my mind, it doens't need a county council to exist.

I went to the Oval to watch Surrey v Middlesex in the Twenty20 a couple of seasons ago. The Oval announcer got it right when he said "welcome to the London derby". Wink

You're correct in that a county doesn't need a county council to exist but, to my knowledge, Berkshire is the only county where this is the case. They had to bring in a special act of parliament or something to keep it registered as a county when it got split into unitary authorities.

Fair play. I agree that Middlesex nowadays is entirely Greater London. The thing I get shirty about is that so is a lot of Surrey, Kent and Essex, including the Oval! Actually, I don't get shirty about it at all. I just feel better saying I do :)

PonteCarlo
First Team Star

May 3, 2011, 11:06 AM

Team(s): Grimsby Town, Pontefract Collieries

Post #45 of 790 (11014 views)
Shortcut

(1) Yellow "Baby on board" signs. What's that supposed to tell me? Generally speaking, there are no babies or small children, so either you're lying or you've lost your child somewhere in a shopping centre. I have, oddly enough, managed to avoid ramming into the car in front of me: normally, it's something I try to avoid. Your sign telling me that you have a child in your family (although rarely in the car at the time) is never going to make me **less** likely to slam into the back of you. Trust me on this. I'll try to avoid it anyway.

Have to completely agree with both statements! Despite my lack of driving, the amount of lifts and travelling in a car means I experience just the same thing, though with point 1, the even worse thing is if they have a "Little Princess On Board" or "Disco Chick on Board" - that's just going to make people want to smack into you more - there is no point whatsoever in having these on, rather than just to prove your an irritating person who loves attention!

Onto public transport now - People who INSIST on playing music from their mobile phones! Buy some headphones and stop subjecting everyone on the bus/train to your awful pathetic (c)rap music - no-one wants to hear it! And at the same time, I DO NOT want to know what your having for tea while your talking incessantly loud to someone who is shouting back at you on the phone. Tone it down, or save the call for later - can you not just wait 10 minutes to make the call? "I'm on the bus" - REALLY? I'd never have guessed!

Ignorant tourists - the people that just stop in the middle of a street and then wonder why you barge past them and say "oh, how rude".

Rail Replacement Buses - Even the title is wrong, they are not replacing a bus! I could do a book on these!

Major connecting roads that go from one town to another WITHOUT providing a footpath of any description. Consequently when your walking on the edge of the road, some bright spark in a car decides to beep you. Erm, if there was a path don't you think I'd be on it instead of risking my life to get somewhere?!

The cost of train fares - Over 100 on the day to get from Leeds/Doncaster to London, that's just scandalous! No wonder so many people drive!

That's all for now, but I don't half feel better Cool

Proud spectator of real football.

Hop, hop, hopping on heaven's door

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 3, 2011, 11:51 AM

Post #46 of 790 (11008 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PonteCarlo] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tourists, in Pontefract, really? Did they get lost?

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 3, 2011, 12:42 PM

Post #47 of 790 (11002 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You mean you've never heard of the Pontefract Liquorice Festival?

PonteCarlo
First Team Star

May 3, 2011, 12:48 PM

Team(s): Grimsby Town, Pontefract Collieries

Post #48 of 790 (10998 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Or the Haribo sweet factory tour!

Proud spectator of real football.

Hop, hop, hopping on heaven's door

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 3, 2011, 1:03 PM

Post #49 of 790 (10994 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PonteCarlo] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Burlimey...they must be well high up on the average Japanese bucket list.

jrev61

May 3, 2011, 9:33 PM

Team(s): None

Post #50 of 790 (10972 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Have to completely agree with both statements! Despite my lack of driving, the amount of lifts and travelling in a car means I experience just the same thing, though with point 1, the even worse thing is if they have a "Little Princess On Board" or "Disco Chick on Board" - that's just going to make people want to smack into you more - there is no point whatsoever in having these on, rather than just to prove your an irritating person who loves attention!

Onto public transport now - People who INSIST on playing music from their mobile phones! Buy some headphones and stop subjecting everyone on the bus/train to your awful pathetic (c)rap music - no-one wants to hear it! And at the same time, I DO NOT want to know what your having for tea while your talking incessantly loud to someone who is shouting back at you on the phone. Tone it down, or save the call for later - can you not just wait 10 minutes to make the call? "I'm on the bus" - REALLY? I'd never have guessed!

Ignorant tourists - the people that just stop in the middle of a street and then wonder why you barge past them and say "oh, how rude".

Rail Replacement Buses - Even the title is wrong, they are not replacing a bus! I could do a book on these!

Major connecting roads that go from one town to another WITHOUT providing a footpath of any description. Consequently when your walking on the edge of the road, some bright spark in a car decides to beep you. Erm, if there was a path don't you think I'd be on it instead of risking my life to get somewhere?!

The cost of train fares - Over 100 on the day to get from Leeds/Doncaster to London, that's just scandalous! No wonder so many people drive!

That's all for now, but I don't half feel better Cool

Why is it so much more expensive to go from London to Yorkshire than to get to the North West (and vice-versa)?
I went from Northampton to Manchester on Friday for 33 with no advance booking, to go to Leeds would cost around 70.

jrev61

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 32 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3