Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 32 Next page Last page  View All

villahopper
First Team Star

May 3, 2011, 10:18 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa Bromsgrove Sporting New York Jets

Post #51 of 790 (10493 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Leeds - Kings Cross 88.60
Doncaster - Kings Cross 74.50

Not over 100 at all

Rail fares and how they are worked out are basically down two two things.
Firstly its market forces. Some fares will be cheaper as they are going to less important places
Secondly it depends on what TOC prices the flow and if they have any competition on the flow in question

Ostrich
First Team Sub

May 3, 2011, 10:54 PM

Post #52 of 790 (10478 views)
Shortcut
Re: [villahopper] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'll second the rants about train fares. It's the sheer complexity. It's the huge variety of tickets and the variable restrictions about when you can travel. Or can't travel. Or what route you can take. Or can't take.

On a rail-orientated chatsite I frequent, there's a whole forum devoted to ticketing where people try and help numpties like me find the best bargain fares. Like if you're going from Birmingham to Exeter, you need to split your tickets at Cheltenham. Or Gloucester. Or Little Tidworth or somewhere. Or travel after 09:30, but make sure your train doesn't pass through Bristol if there's an R in the month ......

All because of privatisation and TOCs and the like.

Sorry, I grew up in the days of a Cheap Day Return to Liverpool Lime Street, that'll be 15/6, sir. The modern ticketing system is a farce. Mad

And don't get me started on Oyster ...... Frown

(This post was edited by Ostrich on May 3, 2011, 11:22 PM)

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

May 4, 2011, 9:37 AM

Post #53 of 790 (10449 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ostrich] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or

Never buy a return from Reading to Swindon, buy a return from Reading to Oxford and one from Oxford to Swindon, as long as train stops at Didcot you are ok.

Reading - Swindon 25.

Reading - Oxford 7.90

Oxford - Swindon 9.40.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 4, 2011, 10:31 AM

Post #54 of 790 (10440 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Never buy a return from Reading to Swindon, buy a return from Reading to Oxford and one from Oxford to Swindon, as long as train stops at Didcot you are ok.

Reading - Swindon 25.

Reading - Oxford 7.90

Oxford - Swindon 9.40.

Why book to Oxford, AC? If your train stops at Didcot, book to Didcot, which is 5.30 from Reading.

I presume you suggest this take advantage of the Network SE Railcard, which isn't valid west of Didcot*. Yet I can't get the National Rail website to apply a discount to Reading-Didcot or Reading-Oxford. I've noted before that tickets from Reading seem particularly expensive, even by Great Western standards.

*In case anyone hasn't cottoned on, if you buy split tickets your train must stop at the 'split' station.

KnowYourMarket

May 4, 2011, 11:25 AM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #55 of 790 (10433 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DavetheGlassboy] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Unfortunately Dave, Radio 5 has become like a tabloid on radio. Wind up phone ins on sport and current affairs, day and night. Constant wittering over and over again about the same things. If I want news and current affairs now I listen to Radio 4. I gave up on Talk Sport a long time ago, although I did find Hawkesby and Jacobs quite good in the afternoon.

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

KnowYourMarket

May 4, 2011, 11:32 AM

Post #56 of 790 (10430 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Stoke to Northampton 14 return (bargain)

Stoke to Bedford 40.20 return (palatable)

Stoke to Stevenage 268!

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

dottirofhod

May 4, 2011, 12:12 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #57 of 790 (10413 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Stoke to Stevenage 268!

Do you mean 68-20 ?
Glad you caught that insect.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

pitch 63
First Team Star

May 4, 2011, 12:53 PM

Post #58 of 790 (10401 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Stoke to Stevenage 268!

Penzance to Newcastle-upon-Tyne 2nd class open return by train is 466 - I can fly to Melbourne and back for 600!!!

KnowYourMarket

May 4, 2011, 1:01 PM

Post #59 of 790 (10396 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pitch 63] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Off peak return is 68.60 and that is because it goes via London, you get penalised as the railway uses a circuitous route. However an open return is 268, 2nd class!

(This post was edited by KnowYourMarket on May 4, 2011, 1:01 PM)

dottirofhod

May 4, 2011, 1:19 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #60 of 790 (10389 views)
Shortcut

So sorry , thought you were doing day returns for games. Not realised you were staying over in Stevenage ?

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

acmold

May 4, 2011, 1:32 PM

Post #61 of 790 (10383 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To

Reading - Swindon 25.

Reading - Oxford 7.90

Oxford - Swindon 9.40.

Why book to Oxford, AC? If your train stops at Didcot, book to Didcot, which is 5.30 from Reading.

I presume you suggest this take advantage of the Network SE Railcard, which isn't valid west of Didcot*. Yet I can't get the National Rail website to apply a discount to Reading-Didcot or Reading-Oxford. I've noted before that tickets from Reading seem particularly expensive, even by Great Western standards.

*In case anyone hasn't cottoned on, if you buy split tickets your train must stop at the 'split' station.

My mistake, I had not looked up the Didcot price as I was told it was the same as Oxford, which it is for Didcot to Swindon but not for Didcot to Reading. How can Oxford to Swindon return be the same as Didcot to Swindon return when Didcot is almost halfway to Swindon ?.

On the Network card there is a minimum price for weekdays, 10 ish ?.

14.70 against 25.00.

I'll give you

Oxford to Swindon 9.40 return
Swindon to Cardiff 17.90 return

Oxford to Cardiff 49.00 return

same prices pro-rata anywhere in South Wales.

Mishi

May 4, 2011, 2:54 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #62 of 790 (10374 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tourists to Pontefract:

I wnt to Wakefield v. Curzon Ashton last Friday. Before the game I got the bus to Pontefract & took photos of Pontefract Collieries ground, and a few on the way back to the bus station in the town centre. Does that qualify me as a tourist? ;-)

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

Isaac

May 4, 2011, 3:33 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #63 of 790 (10367 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Reading - Swindon 25.

Reading - Oxford 7.90

Oxford - Swindon 9.40.

My mistake, I had not looked up the Didcot price as I was told it was the same as Oxford, which it is for Didcot to Swindon but not for Didcot to Reading. How can Oxford to Swindon return be the same as Didcot to Swindon return when Didcot is almost halfway to Swindon ?.

On the Network card there is a minimum price for weekdays, 10 ish ?.

14.70 against 25.00.

I'll give you

Oxford to Swindon 9.40 return
Swindon to Cardiff 17.90 return

Oxford to Cardiff 49.00 return

same prices pro-rata anywhere in South Wales.

The minimum price for a Network Card (Monday-Friday) is now 13.

If you are going to any station outside the Network Card area it works out cheaper to buy ticket to the last station in the area (provided that the train stops there) thus getting a discount and then the normal fare from there to your final destination.

jrev61

May 4, 2011, 6:44 PM

Team(s): None

Post #64 of 790 (10350 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pitch 63] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Stoke to Stevenage 268!

Penzance to Newcastle-upon-Tyne 2nd class open return by train is 466 - I can fly to Melbourne and back for 600!!!

Damn! I thought a West Midlands Day Ranger at 20 was the cheapest way to get to Stoke.Unimpressed

jrev61

DavetheGlassboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 4, 2011, 11:21 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Warrington RLFC, Stourport HC

Post #65 of 790 (10323 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Unfortunately Dave, Radio 5 has become like a tabloid on radio. Wind up phone ins on sport and current affairs, day and night. Constant wittering over and over again about the same things. If I want news and current affairs now I listen to Radio 4. I gave up on Talk Sport a long time ago, although I did find Hawkesby and Jacobs quite good in the afternoon.

Yes, I know but Robbie ****ing Savage FFS!!!!

Last new ground (846): Vasil Levski Stadium, Sofia - Bulgaria v England 14/10/19
Last game: as above
Football seen in: England, Wales, Scotland, Italy, France, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Spain, Austria, Croatia, Jersey, Sweden, Switzerland, Republic of Ireland, United States of America, Ukraine, Montenegro, Estonia, San Marino, Slovenia, Northern Ireland, Malta, Lithuania, Russia, Belgium, Portugal, Czech Republic, Bulgaria

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 5, 2011, 12:16 AM

Post #66 of 790 (10312 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Why is it so much more expensive to go from London to Yorkshire than to get to the North West (and vice-versa)?
I went from Northampton to Manchester on Friday for 33 with no advance booking, to go to Leeds would cost around 70.

Villahopper has given the answer 'Some fares will be cheaper as they are going to less important places'

Andrelux
First Team Regular

May 5, 2011, 6:29 PM

Team(s): Brentford (for my sins - obviously done something really bad in a past life

Post #67 of 790 (10257 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Fare things are strange.

Travelling from London to Managua. First checked flights from London to Miami, travelling World Traveller Plus (well, I'm getting on...). 650 a head, each way. Then checked flights from London to Managua, via Miami (still WT plus on the BA leg)... 551 a head. That's London-Miami-Managua. So my recommendation would be, if you're planning to travel to Miami this summer, book an onward leg to somewhere on American Airlines and just throw the onward bit away.

Never been able to understand airline fares and fare sections. I once found myself having to change a Hong Kong to London Flight (economy obviously, company were cheapskates) to Hong Kong-Singapore (stop for a couple of days)-London. Turned out that HK-Sing-Lond would have cost more in economy, but was cheaper in business class. Only an extra 30 over original fare. Go figure.

jrev61

May 5, 2011, 6:58 PM

Team(s): None

Post #68 of 790 (10249 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Why is it so much more expensive to go from London to Yorkshire than to get to the North West (and vice-versa)?
I went from Northampton to Manchester on Friday for 33 with no advance booking, to go to Leeds would cost around 70.

Villahopper has given the answer 'Some fares will be cheaper as they are going to less important places'

Didn't realise that Manchester is less important than Leeds!

jrev61

cope1

May 5, 2011, 9:56 PM

Post #69 of 790 (10227 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrelux] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I can't answer that one, but a lot of it makes sense if you know enough travel geeks. With planes its all about getting them in the right place for the flights which do make money. I paid 25 for Newcastle to Monastir (Tunisia) last September. The plane had to go out to collect the last lot of all-inclusives and, as they had to fly it out anyway, they may as well sell a few tickets cheap. Most people wouldn't do it because there isn't a flight back but if you like trekking around like I do that's no problem. You end up picking up another cheapo and having lots of fun in between!

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 5, 2011, 11:15 PM

Post #70 of 790 (10212 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Didn't realise that Manchester is less important than Leeds!

Of course it is - Leeds is in Yorkshire !!

rainjar
First Team Star

May 6, 2011, 5:34 AM

Post #71 of 790 (10188 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
.... We don't call Hampshire 'Wessex' anymore ....

I take it you have no time for Wessex revivalists. Wink

They're agreed that Wessex includes Berkshire, Devon, Dorset, Hampshire, Somerset and Wiltshire. and are moving towards a consensus to include Oxfordshire and Gloucestershire, but to exclude Cornwall.

Football Insights

acmold

May 6, 2011, 11:29 AM

Post #72 of 790 (10158 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rainjar] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To

They're agreed that Wessex includes Berkshire, Devon, Dorset, Hampshire, Somerset and Wiltshire. and are moving towards a consensus to include Oxfordshire and Gloucestershire, but to exclude Cornwall.

With Oxfordshire and Gloucestershire I am sure parts were in Wessex at some time, but other parts were in Mercia. I think the Thames tended to be the boundary, though in the days of Wessex and Mercia the Thames was not some much a river but a wide area of marshland. Wantage which used to be Berkshire but is now Oxfordshire is reputed to be the birth place of King Alfred, on the other hand St Frideswide the the patron Saint of Oxford (that may be unofficial) was the daughter of the Mercian King. Not sure but was it around that time that there was an Earldom of Warwick (looked it up and the Earls of Warwick covers a vast time span), which was based on Warwick Castle and included much of Oxfordshire - a number of pubs and associations still have the Bear and Ragged Staff as their crest / badge.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 6, 2011, 12:02 PM

Post #73 of 790 (10151 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

I used to listen to Radio 5 more than now. Radio 4 could be a bit earnest and worthy at times, so 5 offered a bit of relief. Not any more. It has some of the worst programmes to be heard anywhere on national radio (excluding Radio 1, which is for cabbages). Trivial beyond belief (as witlessly so as local radio), the very worst are on Saturday and Sunday mornings between 9 and 12. Danny Baker may have gone for now but his recent effort was desperately poor stuff. Fighting Talk is an embarrassment (someone please silence Colin Murray), with its participants shouting at one another like drunks in a pub and 'laughing' endlessly in that excruciating 'hur, hur, hur' manner. The Sunday morning political magazines are hardly any better, being devoid of any real analysis of anything and with the contributors continually talking across one another. They think they are being incisive and satirical but they merely insult their subjects and our intelligence.

Add to this the appalling diction and grammar of the majority of the presenters, gabbling away at 300 words per minute, and Radio 5's only useful purpose now is for a quick news and sports summary on the hour.

Ghastly.

(This post was edited by Mr. T on May 6, 2011, 4:51 PM)

VP

May 6, 2011, 11:26 PM

Post #74 of 790 (10088 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rainjar] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Oh my life. What's wrong with people?
I've just had a look at the Wiki page you linked to. it says "There is a movement in modern day south-central England to create a regional cultural and political identity in Wessex."

That's news to me. I've lived in 'south-central England' all my life and never heard this nonsense before. Is it because I'm from just over the border so all talk of reviving Wessex stops at Blackwater?
I can't see why they should stop at the current Hampshire/Surrey border though as my part of Surrey was officially absorbed by Wessex after they defeated the Mercians in 825.
If people really haven't got anything better to do than try to recreate a medieval kingdom then I can only pity them.

rainjar
First Team Star

May 7, 2011, 5:58 AM

Post #75 of 790 (10059 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

... I've just had a look at the Wiki page you linked to. it says "There is a movement in modern day south-central England to create a regional cultural and political identity in Wessex."

.... If people really haven't got anything better to do than try to recreate a medieval kingdom then I can only pity them.

It goes on to state that "The Wessex Society is a cultural society which promotes a cultural identity for Wessex while remaining neutral on questions of political devolution."

I wonder in what way Wessex culture was distinctively different from that of the rest of medieval Britain.

Or perhaps we are just cultural philistines.

Football Insights

(This post was edited by rainjar on May 7, 2011, 8:42 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 32 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3