Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 32 Next page Last page  View All

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

May 7, 2011, 9:05 AM

Post #76 of 790 (10012 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rainjar] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To

... I've just had a look at the Wiki page you linked to. it says "There is a movement in modern day south-central England to create a regional cultural and political identity in Wessex."

.... If people really haven't got anything better to do than try to recreate a medieval kingdom then I can only pity them.

It goes on to state that "The Wessex Society is a cultural society which promotes a cultural identity for Wessex while remaining neutral on questions of political devolution."

I wonder in what way Wessex culture was distinctively different from that of the rest of medieval Britain.

Or perhaps we are just cultural philistines.

Some bloke from the society sends letters to our local paper and everything is Wessex related, a recent one was it's nice to see the Wessex car industry thriving in Oxford. He comes from Weston Super Mare.

There is also a Mercian society based (I think) in Tamworth, they have a flag.

Maybe we will have battles between them to see who "controls" the Cotswolds, St Frideswide v King Alfred.

Ostrich
First Team Sub

May 7, 2011, 12:25 PM

Post #77 of 790 (10000 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

........... St Frideswide v King Alfred.

Yes, but are they going to issue? I'm not going unless they are .... Wink

Andrelux
First Team Regular

May 7, 2011, 7:54 PM

Team(s): Brentford (for my sins - obviously done something really bad in a past life

Post #78 of 790 (9987 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rainjar] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well it sort of was, but only 1100 or more years ago. According to my Ladybird book, the rest of Britain was basically under the Danes (cue historically inaccurate pictures of horned helmets), whereas Wessex held out, under Alfred (cue picture of him sitting at his mother's knee, learning to read, but unfortunately not well enough to read the cooking instructions for cakes). He built a navy too, which I'm sure would be news to Wessex revivalists in Wiltshire. Not much use for a navy there, I reckon. Oh, and according to the same Ladybird book, he also put lines on candles so he could tell the time... would have helped in not burning the cakes, then...

KIM TRUB
Reserve Team Regular

May 8, 2011, 1:00 PM

Post #79 of 790 (9942 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrelux] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pointless things BEARDS what are the point, also why does everybody say The Arsenal no one else says the Chelsea The Wigan etc

Andrelux
First Team Regular

May 8, 2011, 8:26 PM

Team(s): Brentford (for my sins - obviously done something really bad in a past life

Post #80 of 790 (9909 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KIM TRUB] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

mainly because Chel or Wig are not bodily orifices.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 9, 2011, 9:15 AM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #81 of 790 (9881 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrelux] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Clubs who print away wins as defeats in their programmes.
ie winning away constitutes being recorded as 1-2
It is not, it is wrong.
Doesn't matter if it was home, away or on the moon... your score always first.
I thank you.

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 9, 2011, 10:11 AM

Post #82 of 790 (9876 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Too bloody right, Don! It's an odd habit which appears to have sprung up quite recently; the format also appears on some websites.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 9, 2011, 10:15 AM

Post #83 of 790 (9872 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Apart from annoying the shit out of me, it is so hard to work out - not hard per se - but just
a pain in the butt when trying to work out a club's stats.

Richard Rundle

May 9, 2011, 5:44 PM

Post #84 of 790 (9842 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Two things are bugging me at the moment

a) Postings on message boards, forums, emails etc. without the use of capital letters. The "Shift" key is there, please use it properly!

b) The prevalance of the word "of" instead of the correct "have" in phrases like "I would of done that" or "He should of scored from there"

Rant over.

--
Richard

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 9, 2011, 6:11 PM

Post #85 of 790 (9837 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I bat for the 'Eats, Shoots and Leaves' brigade too, but you have to take
forums for what they are.... not an Oxford University debating society.
(I can hear an early FA Cup finalists' thread racing over the hill).

jrev61

May 9, 2011, 7:41 PM

Team(s): None

Post #86 of 790 (9818 views)
Shortcut

The thing that really annoys me at the moment is collaboration records with female R & B artists and rappers.
I quite like R & B but absolutely loathe Rap or Hip Hop.
A fine example is 'I need a doctor' by Dr.Dre and featuring some girl with a great voice.
Why can't these obnoxious individuals make records on their own and let the proper singers do the same.
I remember the 'golden days' of Gangsta Rap when the rappers were much more interested in killing each other than in actually making any of their dreadful records.
'Guns don't kill people rappers do' as someone once sang.

jrev61

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 9, 2011, 7:45 PM

Post #87 of 790 (9816 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I may well be fast approaching my Diamond Jubilee, but my feet
and other bits have got tapping to a band called GangstaGrass.
Theme music to the Justified series.
Bluegrass and Rap.... it just kinda works.

Andrelux
First Team Regular

May 9, 2011, 8:02 PM

Post #88 of 790 (9807 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hope you're not a scrabble afficionado, as both "innit" and "grrl", amongst others have now been accepted as official words.

If only "xqkjz" had also been accepted as a word, I might have cleaned up at a stroke. Particularly as it fell on a triple word score.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 9, 2011, 8:11 PM

Post #89 of 790 (9805 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hope you're not a Scrabble afficionado, as both "innit" and "grrl", amongst others have now been accepted as official words..

Must have been infiltrated by the BBC...

Andrelux
First Team Regular

May 9, 2011, 8:25 PM

Post #90 of 790 (9798 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thank you for silently capitalising "scrabble", which obviously I should have done in the first place. Now, I only hope that no-one else has noticed.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 9, 2011, 8:42 PM

Post #91 of 790 (9784 views)
Shortcut

None of us take to change too well when it happens during our life time.
No doubt in a hundred years' time, 'innit' will be bastardized and there will be
a mass outpouring of horror from the Oxford Dons - or will that be Doners?
Go back say 150 years and read the original transcripts of Dickens and fast forward
to Conan Doyle and John Buchan and their works can be mind-numbing at times.

Andrelux
First Team Regular

May 9, 2011, 9:04 PM

Post #92 of 790 (9780 views)
Shortcut

That's all very well, but I'm not sure my opponent is prepared to wait 100 years before Collins say I can play "xkqjz" on the triple word score. A word in the (admittedly fabricated) Klingon language, which refers to the feeling of puzzlement one experiences when catching sight through the corner of your eye of two people playing Scrabble for money, one of whom has only vowels available, the other only consonants. Not to be confused with the Romulan "xjkzq", which is just plain rude, and has no place in polite society.

(This post was edited by Andrelux on May 9, 2011, 9:08 PM)

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 9, 2011, 9:18 PM

Post #93 of 790 (9770 views)
Shortcut

And I thought I was the only person who could speak fluent Bollocks on here... Tongue

Andrelux
First Team Regular

May 9, 2011, 9:59 PM

Post #94 of 790 (9761 views)
Shortcut

I know. Klingon case endings can be particularly tricky, since they don't always match onto human ones. The example that I gave broadly corresponded to the locative (no movement involved), but the real case has no direct equivalent and should best be described as "I haven't gone anywhere, I am puzzled, and I haven't recently ripped someone's throat out" when I performed this action. Hence the final "z". If I had recently killed someone, then obviously the final letter should be a "p". Interestingly, all of x, j, k, p, z and q are vowels in Klingon. So a bit like Dutch, or maybe Welsh.

jrev61

May 9, 2011, 11:18 PM

Team(s): None

Post #95 of 790 (9743 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hope you're not a scrabble afficionado, as both "innit" and "grrl", amongst others have now been accepted as official words.

If only "xqkjz" had also been accepted as a word, I might have cleaned up at a stroke. Particularly as it fell on a triple word score.

I was first made aware of 'innit' when used by the Harry Enfield character Stavros.
It seems though that it actually a word used mainly by the Asian community. I used to work with an Asian lady from a wealthy background who used the word at the end of half her sentences.
The word seems to be related to the Welsh expression 'Isn't it'. The London equivalent is 'Like' or 'Know what I mean' and the Irish 'So it is'.
All meaningless ends to sentences,most of which sound like questions, but aren't.

jrev61

Mek
First Team Star

May 9, 2011, 11:25 PM

Team(s):

Post #96 of 790 (9738 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The thing that really annoys me at the moment is collaboration records with female R & B artists and rappers.
I quite like R & B but absolutely loathe Rap or Hip Hop.
A fine example is 'I need a doctor' by Dr.Dre and featuring some girl with a great voice.
Why can't these obnoxious individuals make records on their own and let the proper singers do the same.
I remember the 'golden days' of Gangsta Rap when the rappers were much more interested in killing each other than in actually making any of their dreadful records.
'Guns don't kill people rappers do' as someone once sang.

That'll be Goldie Lookin Chain.

acmold

May 10, 2011, 10:20 AM

Post #97 of 790 (9701 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To

I was first made aware of 'innit' when used by the Harry Enfield character Stavros.
It seems though that it actually a word used mainly by the Asian community. I used to work with an Asian lady from a wealthy background who used the word at the end of half her sentences.
The word seems to be related to the Welsh expression 'Isn't it'. The London equivalent is 'Like' or 'Know what I mean' and the Irish 'So it is'.
All meaningless ends to sentences,most of which sound like questions, but aren't.

Around here it's "you know"

AdamKing
Junior Team Star

May 11, 2011, 5:03 PM

Team(s): Arsenal, Gloucester City, Cambridge United

Post #98 of 790 (9661 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Manish Bhasin and Mark Clemmitt.

Cannot stand either of them, thank God for Sky Sports!

Your Talents Are The Wings Your Dreams Will Use To Fly

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 19, 2011, 5:59 AM

Post #99 of 790 (9607 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AdamKing] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

CCTV..why is it so shit? Every time an image grab appears in the
press, it looks like the result of a five-year-old having been let loose
with a Box Brownie (it is a camera for the benefit of the under 30s,
and not a calorific chocolate bar).
And what is the point of having them stuck up in the air when you
can hardly see the faces of any miscreants - let alone identify them?
Surely we have the technology to reduce them to the size of an ipod
and locate them discreetly at ground level and upgrade with the technology
that will stand up in a court of law?
Rant over....there will be another about 6pm on Friday evening.

acmold

May 19, 2011, 10:39 AM

Post #100 of 790 (9594 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or

I walked half a mile to my local shops this morning, I was nearly knocked down three times. A bike with a young lady was riding at about 20mph on the pavement, she had earphones in, she had to take avoiding action at the last minute and rode onto the road in front of a car. Two hundreds yards later I was crossing a sideroad a car suddenly turned off of the main road and stopped a couple of feet from me, it had no indicator going. 100 yards later I was crossing another side road and a Taxi turned into it via a staggered junction on the wrong side of the road again with no indicator. A lady with her shopping trolley was also crossing at the same time, she just looked at the taxi and said "you arsehole were's your indicator", she looked and me and said sorry for my bad language.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 32 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3