Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: General Discussion:
Best Non Pyramid League in London?

First page Previous page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 32 Next page Last page  View All

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 3, 2011, 3:23 PM

Post #276 of 784 (32789 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The_Player] County Cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Are you sure they are undefeated? Their Sunday team is only one place above bottom in their league!
http://www.football.mitoo.co.uk/...p;LeagueCode=HCH2010

Their wiki page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belstone_F.C.

They have played in the FA national Sunday Cup in the past few seasons as well.

The_Player
Junior Team Sub

Apr 3, 2011, 6:50 PM

Team(s): Inter Trac AFC (Sunday League)

Post #277 of 784 (32763 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stevegraze] County Cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yeah Steve I looked at that earlier, they are second from bottom in their league but Belstone FC have only played 4 league matches all season, most of their division are on their 13th, 14th or 15th match. They've only played 1 league match since September because they've done so well in the county cups.

They did lose their first game of the season but that was their first game of the season (we can put that down to rustiness) however since then they have beaten every team they've played only Comet Sports Club beat them in the FA National Cup Last 16 and Belston returned the compliment and beat Comet Sports in the Hertfordshire County Cup Final.

Comet Sports made the Semi-Finals of the FA National Cup before being knocked out by Paddock FC where ever they are from.

http://www.intertracafc.co.uk - Playing in the Barnet Sunday Football League

darney
Junior Team Star

Apr 4, 2011, 4:10 PM

Post #278 of 784 (32739 views)
Shortcut

Hi Hughsey I see that Yalova beat the team from your league (Enfield Crusaders) 4-0 in the Junior Cup Final which I must say I am quite surprised by. Did you video the game and if you did would I be able to purchase a copy from you?

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 4, 2011, 4:53 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #279 of 784 (32727 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Yeah Steve I looked at that earlier, they are second from bottom in their league but Belstone FC have only played 4 league matches all season, most of their division are on their 13th, 14th or 15th match. They've only played 1 league match since September because they've done so well in the county cups.

They did lose their first game of the season but that was their first game of the season (we can put that down to rustiness) however since then they have beaten every team they've played only Comet Sports Club beat them in the FA National Cup Last 16 and Belston returned the compliment and beat Comet Sports in the Hertfordshire County Cup Final.

Comet Sports made the Semi-Finals of the FA National Cup before being knocked out by Paddock FC where ever they are from.

That must be some sort of record having played only four league games by March?Shocked

I saw Comet Sports win at Bedfont Sunday in the FA Sunday Cup and they looked a decent side. Paddock are from the Liverpool area.

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 4, 2011, 7:52 PM

Team(s): Edmonton Rovers (Sunday League) ...and whoever I film for !

Post #280 of 784 (32705 views)
Shortcut
Re: [darney] County Cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Hi Hughsey I see that Yalova beat the team from your league (Enfield Crusaders) 4-0 in the Junior Cup Final which I must say I am quite surprised by. Did you video the game and if you did would I be able to purchase a copy from you?

No, Enfield Crusaders weren't interested in having the match filmed, so I did an Under-14's Cup Final at Cheshunt instead. Thankfully I was up on the roof and not down at pitch level where the kids could run up to the camera and do Wayne Rooney impersonations....if they wanted to. Wink.

Thank you for telling me the result, Darney. Even though I am the Waltham Sunday League Website Secretary, that's the first I have heard of it ! Crazy Our League Officer who gets the results in is away on holiday, although I don't think Enfield Crusaders phoned the score in to anybody else anyway. Nothing on the London F.A. website yet of course.

Let's hope whoever is running the London F.A. Cup competitions next season 'forces' Yalova (and the other top Turkish and Cypriot League teams) to enter the Sunday Challenge Cup, which is clearly where they belong.

http://www.hughesvideoservices.co.uk
http://www.edmontonrovers.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/hughesvideo

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 9, 2011, 12:41 AM

Post #281 of 784 (32617 views)
Shortcut

Fair enough. If Belstone win their 10 games in hand, they will go 7 points clear at the top of the table! Can't see them winning all of them though. There will be plenty of double headers for them to play come late season...
They also have a Saturday team in the Herts Senior County League so I suspect some players play for both the Sat and Sun teams.

Isaac

Apr 10, 2011, 10:09 PM

Post #282 of 784 (32578 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] London FA Sunday Cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I certainly hope to get along to the Challenge Cup final at Croydon Athletic, great final last season between New Salamis and Balden Sports!

New Salamis retained the cup beating Pearscroft United 2-1, super game and very little to choose between the two teams. I posted more detail on WDYG section.

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 13, 2011, 3:16 AM

Post #283 of 784 (32529 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the report Isaac. Sounds like Salamis were nearly dethroned.

Isaac

Apr 13, 2011, 10:06 PM

Post #284 of 784 (32485 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stevegraze] London FA Sunday Cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes very close game that could have gone either way, I hope the Sunday Intermediate Cup final on May 1st is as good.

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

May 17, 2011, 3:12 AM

Post #285 of 784 (32291 views)
Shortcut

Well, after 8 consecutive championship winning seasons, history was made as Lapton failed to retain the Hackney and Leyton Premier League title this season. Lapton have won a division championship EVERY SINGLE season in the 8 (yes EIGHT consecutive titles) years since they were formed. This was the first year they did not win the league. I don't see the team staying together next season. Their players are trophy magnets and wont take this too well. Ah well, looks like another one bites the dust.

WHO will step up and challenge New Salamis?

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

May 17, 2011, 9:29 AM

Post #286 of 784 (32272 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stevegraze] London FA Sunday Cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A similar thing has happened in the Waltham Sunday League, Steve. Enfield Rangers have missed out on winning the Premier Division title for the first time in seven years and didn't even reach a Cup Final !

I don't think they are any weaker than in previous seasons and there's certainly no sign of them folding. What's happened is that other teams in the top two Divisions have really strengthened their squads, as my own team have found out to our cost.
Upshire winning the Premier Division title this season was mainly due to them signing up Canvey Island striker Jason Hallett half-way through the season, who then went on to score 21 goals in just 10 appearances.

The Waltham League will be even stronger next season with at least two top clubs from other Leagues joining and probably being put straight into Division One or even the Premier.

Any chance of some teams from the Hackney & Leyton League entering the London F.A. Sunday Cup competitions next season, Steve ?

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

May 19, 2011, 3:59 AM

Post #287 of 784 (32229 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HughesVideo] London FA Sunday Cups [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Two things were behind Lapton failing to retain the title: (i) Their team got weaker. They lost several top players and those that remained have aged and after 8 titles, may not have the same hunger as previous seasons. The opposition did not improve, Lapton just got worse! They do not have the same number of quality hard as nails semi-pro ruthless players they had in previous years. Still - they were good enough to win 2 cup competitions! (ii) Secondly, their long-time manager Steve Gergis left the club. Gergis was the architect of the club's success and when they were formed several years ago - set a target of Lapton winning 5 consecutive titles. He led them on an incredible run that saw them go undefeated for the first two and a half years of their existence. I think they played about 40-50 league games before they finally lost a game.

I don't see any H & L teams of note entering the LFA Cups next year. The best sides have serious problems. Clapton Rangers withdrew from the league after losing their sponsor, their Captain and other star players to FC Metwin. FC Metwin have been banned by the league after a fight between their players and some opposition supporters! Albion Manor may enter the Challenge Cup, but quite frankly there are nowhere near the awesome side they were 4-5 years ago when they beat a mighty Aris and overcame the top Greek and Turkish teams to win the Intermediate Cup. I don't know why they insist on entering the Challenge Cup when the Intermediate Cup is probably more their level.

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Aug 15, 2011, 5:52 PM

Post #288 of 784 (31805 views)
Shortcut
2011/2012 LFA Sunday Cup Draws [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Gents, the LFA has released the draw for this season's County Cups. Highlights:

*Hughesvideos' own Edmonton Rovers face former winners Albion Manor in the Intermediate Cup (Albion rightly re-entered the Intermediate Cup after a few seasons in the Challenge Cup).

*Yalova are in the Intermediate Cup (after last year's farce of them quite frankly p***ing over outclassed teams in the Junior Cup). They face Enfield Crusaders.

*Very good Challenge Cup this year with New Salamis, Aris, Baldon, Pearscroft (last year's beaten finalists), Greengate (winners of the Intermediate Cup), North London Olympians, Akincilar, Panthea, Eltham Town and Clapton Rangers in the competition (I don't think this is the same Clapton Rangers team as in previous seasons though). Several teams there strong enough to give New Salamis a tough test. This is the strongest Challenge Cup on paper that I can remember for some years. Gents, have we finally got our wish to see "the best of the best" in the Challenge Cup? ...and no more nonsense of semi-pro teams competing in the Junior/Intermediate Cups?

*Former H & L League champs Lapton make their LFA debut in the Intermediate Cup. Quite frankly they made this step 3-4 years too late as the team is past their best. Would have been much better seeing them a few years ago when they were at their peak.

(This post was edited by stevegraze on Aug 15, 2011, 9:48 PM)

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Aug 15, 2011, 6:04 PM

Post #289 of 784 (31800 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stevegraze] 2011/2012 LFA Sunday Cup Draws [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You beat me to it, Steve ! Wink
Just spotted the draw earlier this afternoon.

So...what are Albion Manor like now then ? Sounds like a tough game for us.

I notice Lapton are at Home to Kensington Athletic. That should be fairly easy for them I would have thought...judging by this.

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Aug 15, 2011, 9:59 PM

Post #290 of 784 (31781 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HughesVideo] 2011/2012 LFA Sunday Cup Draws [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Albion Manor finished in the bottom half of the table last year and have been in decline for the past 5 years. There are nowhere near the team they were when they won the Intermediate Cup (victims of their own success - their best players got poached). Edmonton Rovers have a good chance. You are playing a fading force.

Ditto Lapton. Had Kensington Athletic played Lapton a few years ago, any result other than a double digit win for lapton would be inconceivable. However Lapton's manager has left the club and a lot of their players are veterans. They are still physically strong, but again - not the side they were a couple of years ago. Shame they never entered LFA competitions at their peak as Lapton -v- Baldon would have been an X-Rated, blood and thunder nail biter (although it would also have ended up 8 a side given how both teams like crunching tackles!).

Oh, and your number 8 dived to win the penalty in that vid! ;-) The number 10 winger looked very swift.

In Reply To
You beat me to it, Steve ! Wink
Just spotted the draw earlier this afternoon.

So...what are Albion Manor like now then ? Sounds like a tough game for us.

I notice Lapton are at Home to Kensington Athletic. That should be fairly easy for them I would have thought...judging by this.

RowZ
Ballboy/girl

Aug 26, 2011, 11:12 PM

Post #291 of 784 (31620 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stevegraze] 2011/2012 LFA Sunday Cup Draws [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hi all, I'm the manager of the London Aberdeen Supporters team. Was good to get your info last season when we were in the Sunday Intermediate, we went out in round 2 after blowing a 2-0 lead against Chandler Athletic. We are in the Sunday Junior Cup this year. We have drawn Ferndale of the West End AFA in the first round. Seems like they had a good season last year finishing 2nd in their league. Anyone know them and how strong they are likely to be or how strong that league is?

Good luck all in the London Cups this year.

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Aug 31, 2011, 6:46 PM

Post #292 of 784 (31527 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RowZ] 2011/2012 LFA Sunday Cup Draws [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The FA National Cup draw is also out. New Salamis, Aris, Greengate (winners of the LFA Intermediate Cup) and Sungate (winners of Greengate's league) are in the draw:
http://nonleaguematters.co.uk/forum/gforum.cgi?post=351170;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;guest=44012353

New Salamis are playing an Asian team called Bari who have entered the Essex Sunday Corinthian League this year (same league as Greengate and Sungate). Bari are also in the LFA Intermediate Cup. In the Intermediate Cup, I'd keep an eye on them and Yalova.

Greengate and FC Bickley are playing each other in the 1st round of the Challenge Cup after meeting in the QF of last year's Intermediate Cup. They might get sick of the sight of each other...

If teams play to form and the favourites get through we will see some utterly cracking games this year:Cool

*New Salamis -v- North London Olympians or Clapton Rangers
*Greengate -v- Akincilar
*Aris -v- Pearscroft United

Baldon look like they have a "home run" into the QF.

(This post was edited by stevegraze on Aug 31, 2011, 6:53 PM)

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 3, 2011, 11:09 AM

Post #293 of 784 (31450 views)
Shortcut

New Salamis in the National Cup ?! About time to ! It's going to be very interesting to see how far they can get. Smile
Bari have been playing in the London FA Sunday Intermediate or Junior Cups for a number of years and never really got anywhere as far as I can remember. I can't see New Salamis losing to them.
FC Tripimeni (aka Aris) are playing Upshire, the Premier Division Champions from our League, the Waltham Sunday. Upshire are a very good young side and I can see them winning that game.

I notice that Baldon Sports have pulled their First Team out of the Metropolitan Sunday League after winning the Premier Division title at their first attempt last season. I wonder why ? They now have a team in the Premier Division of the London & Kent Border Sunday League and another in the second division down of the stronger Orpington & Bromley Sunday League. I'm not sure which one is now their 'First Team', but it looks like they have scaled down a bit from last season when I think they were running about 5 teams in various Leagues ?
Maybe some of their better players have now been signed on contract by Ryman League or Conference South clubs and they may not be as much of a force in the London FA Sunday Challenge Cup as they usually are ? We shall see.

For those of you interested in Sunday League football in and around the London area, my Links page is now on my club website and can be found here: http://www.edmontonrovers.co.uk/links.html
It has just been updated for the new season and most of the links to the Sunday League websites on there should go straight to the League Tables.
As for the League Tables for the Waltham Sunday League, it's best to view them from the following link: http://www.edmontonrovers.co.uk/...hamleaguetables.html
They are all on one page there as opposed to the League's official website on Full-Time.

For Sunday County Cup Competitions in London, Middlesex, Essex & Hertfordshire, scroll down to the bottom of this page for some links to those: http://www.edmontonrovers.co.uk/...amleagueresults.html

darney
Junior Team Star

Sep 11, 2011, 7:39 AM

Post #294 of 784 (31313 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HughesVideo] 2011/2012 LFA Sunday Cup Draws [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hi All, with regards the Abeerdeen Supporters manager my own team played against a team called Greenhouse Bethwin (West End League) a couple of years ago in the Junior Cup I think they are still probably the strongest team in that league currently and we beat them 2-0 after they actually beat us 2-0 but the game had to be replayed because they never had goalnets up at their ground when they beat us in the first game. They are I would say an OK sunday side they have a lot of players to choose from but they certainly aren't one of the strongest sunday sides around which gives an indication that the West End League is not that strong in my opinion. I would say your side would be on a similar level to them from what I know of the league you are in also so I would say it would be an even contest - it could go either way in my view. Don't know if that helps at all but I would say you have a good chance if your team is as strong as it was last saeson.

RowZ
Ballboy/girl

Sep 12, 2011, 8:51 PM

Post #295 of 784 (31263 views)
Shortcut
Re: [darney] 2011/2012 LFA Sunday Cup Draws [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cheers Darney, looking at the league table it was Greenhouse, Ferndale and North Acton up at the top with North Acton clinching it just in the end. We are in pretty good shape this season but as ever it's who's available on the day. Who's your team again? Are you in the Junior cup this season? Middlesbro from our league are in the Intermediate cup this year, they have Marlon Beresford in goal for them. Didn't help them wrestle the title of us though! A pretty good side on their day though.

darney
Junior Team Star

Sep 13, 2011, 4:27 PM

Post #296 of 784 (31231 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RowZ] 2011/2012 LFA Sunday Cup Draws [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My team was Woolwich 90 from the Woolwich and Eltham Alliance Premier Division, we played the Exeter Exiles (from your league) in that same season that we beat Greenhouse Bethwin in the Junior cup two years ago and beat them 5-0 even though that scoreline probably flattered us on the day that's how I know a little bit about your league. Our manager decided not to enter us in the Junior cup this year however as we have lost some of our better players and aren't as strong as we used to be. We did manage to get to the Quarter final last year and the semi-final the season before that.

Mishi

Sep 13, 2011, 5:07 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #297 of 784 (31220 views)
Shortcut
Re: [darney] 2011/2012 LFA Sunday Cup Draws [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

So you entered because you're not as strong? In which case why do teams enter at all, as they can't all have a good run in it? Why not enter just for the prestige of playing in it? Cup football's a great leveller, as they say, so anything could happen...

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

darney
Junior Team Star

Sep 13, 2011, 5:40 PM

Post #298 of 784 (31215 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] 2011/2012 LFA Sunday Cup Draws [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The manager of the club DID NOT enter us in the Junior cup this season (His decision alone) as we don't have a strong a squad as we have had in recent seasons, the manager decided that alone without even consulting the players that were left. However if I were the manager I would still have entered and sought about strengthening my squad I personally wouldn't want to enter any competition with a team I knew at the start of the season were weak. Obviously every team can't progress to the final but any team that I managed would be looking to progress to the latter rounds.

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 13, 2011, 6:43 PM

Post #299 of 784 (31206 views)
Shortcut

I will always enter my team in the London F.A. Sunday Cup competitions no matter how weak a squad we have got.
I think it makes a nice change to play different teams from other areas who we have never played before.
We have been stuck in Division One in the Waltham Sunday League for 7 seasons now along with 3 or 4 other clubs who always finish in mid-table and it does get a bit boring playing the same old teams twice (or more depending on League Cup draws) year-in, year-out.

RowZ
Ballboy/girl

Sep 13, 2011, 7:57 PM

Post #300 of 784 (31197 views)
Shortcut

Thanks Darney, Exeter are a tidy team but they usually have a bit of a weak defence, they have started this season on fire though. Agreed with the reasons for entering the London FA cup, it's a nice to change to play sides from different leagues and some different styles. Just hoping we can put up a decent show this season.

First page Previous page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 32 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3