Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 32 Next page Last page  View All

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 26, 2011, 8:26 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #151 of 790 (13111 views)
Shortcut
Re: [davy c] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

and just when you need a knife and have only a thousand forks.....Tongue

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 27, 2011, 5:59 PM

Post #152 of 790 (13063 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I went to the butchers this morning and asked for 12 ribs (spare variety).
And said to the guy: "Can you chop them in half for me please?"
He replied: "I can't do that."
Stunned by his retort, I responded, in a rather loud and brusque voice, words along
the lines of..'what bit of being a butcher don't you get?'
Two chops with a large chopping thing later, job done.
Now that was very random and it really annoyed me.

Jaundiced Hack
First Team Star

Jun 1, 2011, 12:41 AM

Post #153 of 790 (13013 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or

This has been addressed elsewhere but the irritating bastard is still getting away with it.
Andy Townsend and his f****** annoying habit of pluralising the word 'goal' so that 'he shot just wide of the goals' etc. Somebody please torture him until he promises to stop...
Oh here we go I'm on a roll..
The Go Compare singer with the stupid tache needs torturing as well.
All DJs on Heart FM and the like who feel they have to drop all usage of consonants despite having a perfectly good speaking voice.
Likewise Lily Allen and various others who have now taken to singing in Mockney accents.
Mockneys.
Talentless alleged celebs.
My bosses who haven't given us a pay rise now for nearly five years.
Luton Town FC.
There will be more but it's getting late and I am kipping on my office floor...Goodnight John Boy

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 2, 2011, 8:49 AM

Post #154 of 790 (12964 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jaundiced Hack] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Why can't postmen start their walk where the previous day's ended,
so we can all get a share of early post - at least for two or three days a week?
Probably get some brothers in arms argument now, on how moving in a different
direction upsets the equilibrium or something of that ilk (apologies Hoddy).
And how come they are all fat as well?

KIM TRUB
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 2, 2011, 9:10 AM

Post #155 of 790 (12957 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Carrying on the postman theme, why do they always fold the mail in half to post through letterbox even though it fits perfectly if they didn't bend it, especially football traveller every time

(This post was edited by KIM TRUB on Jun 2, 2011, 9:11 AM)

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 2, 2011, 9:21 AM

Post #156 of 790 (12952 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KIM TRUB] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

..and of course states 'Please do not bend' in 23 different languages..
Trust my new postman to be an ancient Greek revivalist... Frown

Chapeltom
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 2, 2011, 11:36 AM

Team(s): Sheffield Wednesday (ENG), Uni Lions (Taiwan baseball)

Post #157 of 790 (12937 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or

Things that annoy me:

1) Getting off a train and the crowd of people surrounding the doors expecting you to somehow get off without walking through them. I once just stood there and waited for a gap to appear and some stupid woman said "Oh how arrogant is that?" Then when you say excuse me or barge through them you get the same pathetic comments.

2) Tourists where I work, asking for you directions and then going the completely opposite way, morons.

3) People who come to a sudden stand-still on a pavement and those that walk 4 in a line across it leaving no way to get past.

4) Those who assume that when you say you live in Derbyshire they think Derby. When I explain I live nearer to most of Greater Manchester I get a look of shock. Then when you tell them its about as quick to get to Liverpool and Leeds they look at you totally gone out.

PonteCarlo
First Team Star

Jun 2, 2011, 1:37 PM

Team(s): Grimsby Town, Pontefract Collieries

Post #158 of 790 (12919 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chapeltom] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Definitely agree with No. 1! I just barge past if that happens and say something along the lines off, it would be nice to be allowed to get OFF the train! It usually has the desired effect, though I quite fancy trying the standing there until a gap appears idea!

No. 2 - Where do you work? Wink There's no tourists in my office!!

Proud spectator of real football.

Hop, hop, hopping on heaven's door

Chapeltom
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 2, 2011, 3:00 PM

Team(s): Sheffield Wednesday (ENG), Uni Lions (Taiwan baseball)

Post #159 of 790 (12909 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PonteCarlo] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or

I stood there with my left arm pointing forwards to give the sheep a hint that I may want to step off the train. It was at Manchester Piccadilly, Platform 14.

I work in Castleton though I have an interview on Monday for somewhere else, out of Castleton. I don't even like walking around Castleton on my days off either, too many tourists and day-trippers scaling Mam Tor and thinking they've climbed Everest.

Then there's the Duke of Edinburgh lot who usually have come from towns, normally in the South and moan about the hills and how they've walked 5 miles and are knackered. Then they moan its too windy, too cold, too rainy, if you don't like it then why do it? It really bugs me, I told one lad (who was particularly irritating) about the first day of my Pennine Way walk, 80mph winds, torrential rain, a rucksack a good 8kg heavier than his and how we repeated it for 15 days, he then admitted it blew his achievement out the water Laugh. It was quite funny...

(This post was edited by Chapeltom on Jun 2, 2011, 3:06 PM)

mip
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 2, 2011, 3:52 PM

Team(s): Portsmouth, OB, Svendborg fB, Tved B

Post #160 of 790 (12897 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chapeltom] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I work in Castleton though I have an interview on Monday for somewhere else, out of Castleton. I don't even like walking around Castleton on my days off either, too many tourists and day-trippers scaling Mam Tor and thinking they've climbed Everest.

Bugger. I did think it was a bit odd with no snow and so on but fenced it off as a minor point.

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 2, 2011, 7:35 PM

Post #161 of 790 (12875 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Things that annoy me:

1) Getting off a train and the crowd of people surrounding the doors expecting you to somehow get off without walking through them. I once just stood there and waited for a gap to appear and some stupid woman said "Oh how arrogant is that?" Then when you say excuse me or barge through them you get the same pathetic comments.

Always carry an umbrella with a metal spike, and get off with it held out in front of you - works well for me. Best option though is to alight behind Hoddy !

dottirofhod

Jun 2, 2011, 7:49 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #162 of 790 (12870 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Always carry an umbrella with a metal spike, and get off with it held out in front of you - works well for me. Best option though is to alight behind Hoddy !

Oi, no need for that . Your off the Xmas card list .
But funnily enough do remember arriving at Waverley on a local in one of the bays , train was running late and the tea time commuters were rerady to get on board. Don't know what it's called at pop concerts when jumping off stage into crowd but I think I took a dozen commuters out !

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 84 / 72 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 09 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(0-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new ground)./ Iberia = P = 0-1 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

villahopper
First Team Star

Jun 2, 2011, 8:27 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa Bromsgrove Sporting New York Jets

Post #163 of 790 (12862 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

But funnily enough do remember arriving at Waverley on a local in one of the bays , train was running late and the tea time commuters were rerady to get on board. Don't know what it's called at pop concerts when jumping off stage into crowd but I think I took a dozen commuters out !

That would be crowd surfing !!

Isaac

Jun 2, 2011, 9:56 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #164 of 790 (12848 views)
Shortcut

The National Blood Service have seriously annoyed me, my appointment to give blood tomorrow has been canceled for the THIRD time because of staff shortages, the next available appointment is in three weeks time!

A friend of mine lost her nine year old daughter to leukemia and suggested that if I wanted to do something in her memory that I go and give some blood which might go to help others in the same situation.

Perhaps the National Blood Service could "do something amazing" and get their act together?

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 2, 2011, 11:11 PM

Post #165 of 790 (12837 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The National Blood Service have seriously annoyed me, my appointment to give blood tomorrow has been canceled for the THIRD time because of staff shortages, the next available appointment is in three weeks time!

Afraid this is the sort of thing you will have to get used to now the Cameron/Clegg show is in town.

UKPunk

Jun 3, 2011, 12:15 AM

Post #166 of 790 (12823 views)
Shortcut
Re: [villahopper] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

That would be crowd surfing !!

It's stage diving. Crowd surfing is when people move over the heads of the audience towards the front of the stage and are deposited in the moat where security stand in front of the stage. They then return to the back and start the process all over again.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

pitch 63
First Team Star

Jun 4, 2011, 6:13 AM

Post #167 of 790 (12770 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KIM TRUB] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Carrying on the postman theme, why do they always fold the mail in half to post through letterbox even though it fits perfectly if they didn't bend it, especially football traveller every time

Those blooming red rubber bands, I have a desk full of them. Can't give them back to postman/postwoman as he/she comes at least two hours after my office closes for the day.

He/she also delivers about 50% of our mail elsewhere, some of which eventually seeps into our letterbox, others we don't know about until we get the final demand! About 50% of what is in our letterbox now has an official stamp put on it by us stating - "Post Office - delivered to wrong address"; we resisted the temptation to add the word "again" at the end of stamp.

Then there was the invoice from the Royal Mail at Paddington which was addressed to us, demanding 450 or thereabouts for 2011 to collect our franked mail. We don't frank our post. I rang the Mr Ahmed who signed the letter and told him that we did not have a franked mail collection, he said we did, I said we didn't. The conversation ended acrimonously with Mr Ahmed telling me that they were stopping the franked mail collection service from our offices on such and such a date. Three months later a Royal Mail van drew up outside our offices and a bloke wlked into Reception and said "I've come for the your franked mail collection!"

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 4, 2011, 11:47 AM

Post #168 of 790 (12742 views)
Shortcut
Re: [villahopper] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Dickwads who say 'Can I get?'

As bad as 'back-to-back' for 'consecutive'...

VP

Jun 4, 2011, 1:25 PM

Post #169 of 790 (12731 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pitch 63] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
About 50% of what is in our letterbox now has an official stamp put on it by us stating - "Post Office - delivered to wrong address"

The Post Office haven't delivered it to the wrong address. They're a separate company who don't deliver mail.

We get a few calls about misdelivered mail. Some posties are useless and it is embarrassing but just as many of the complaints are from people who've had mail delivered by other carriers but they automatically assume it's Royal Mail.
They come into the office in a huff, throw down a packet that's been misdelivered and start having a go at me. I point out it was HDNL / ParcelForce / City Link / DHL or whoever who doorstepped it at the wrong house, they reply they don't care who it was and walk off in a huff. We're left with a packet we haven't been paid to deliver that we can't do anything about.
It happens fairly regularly with whichever carrier has the contract for delivering passports as well. The envelope even says that, if it's misdelivered, phone the number provided and DO NOT put it in the Royal Mail system. People are stupid though and think that doesn't apply to them.
On that note - people who are having arguments with their utility companies who then send a letter without a stamp on it writing 'they can pay' or 'freepost' or something similar. It doesn't work like that. For a start, why refuse to pay Royal Mail to deliver the item, your argument with the company isn't anything to do with us.
Secondly, unless a company has a surcharge account set up, there's a good chance they won't pay for the letter so they won't get it. Freepost addresses and business replys have an account number which the company receiving the letter gets billed on. Without that number written on the envelope, they won't get billed and won't get the letter.
And you can't use any old number. Each Delivery Office can only bill accounts that are registered to that office. Some people think they're being clever by obscuring the pre-printed address on a business reply and writing another one. Fail.
And when an envelope from a company such as T-Mobile says 'do not include correspondence with this payment' there's a reason for that. The letter isn't going to T-Mobile. It's going to a centre run by a bank that deals with payments and nothing else. That centre also has 15-20 other company's mail going there. Anything that isn't a payment gets shredded or binned I presume. There are three or four of these places around the UK for most of the major utility / phone / credit card companies. We have one in Camberley. they get all sorts sent there. Some people even send their mobile phones there. These get refused and handed back to us and, guess what, half the time the sender hasn't put a return address on.
We should be more like Canada and insist all mail has a return address on it. It'd solve half the cases of stuff allegedly 'missing' in the post. We get a couple of thousands of items a day that can't be delivered as the address is incomplete, the address has gone away or whatever. A large percentage of these are shredded as it's part of the contract for anyone using a franking machine or PPI if there's no return ddress printed.

I think I've got it all out now. Apologies!

I know the Royal Mail isn't perfect and, in some cases, the service is chronically bad, but the public prove they can be just as incompetent.

(This post was edited by VP on Jun 4, 2011, 1:31 PM)

dottirofhod

Jun 4, 2011, 1:54 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #170 of 790 (12724 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I know the Royal Mail isn't perfect and, in some cases, the service is chronically bad,

That certainly includes Crewe , worst in the country . Yes I know all the excuses !

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 84 / 72 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 09 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(0-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new ground)./ Iberia = P = 0-1 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

cope1

Jun 5, 2011, 10:55 AM

Post #171 of 790 (12672 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well my postie is a very nice chap (and slim, for those wot care) and when I pass him on the way to the station he often stops what he's doing and digs out my stuff (he always asks if I want it or if he should stick through the door). I have no idea if he remembers everyone on the route although I do know one or two posties so maybe I've met him in the pub and not remembered.

One thing that gets up my nose where I work is that people moan about the post room all the time. We have about 1500 people working there and people just write a name on the internal envelope. I'm always having a go at those in my office who just write "not 615" and stick it back in. I tell them to do the guys a favour and look up the room number. They, of course, insist this is not their job. I point out that most postal services work on addresses so it's not really the post room's job to look up every name that comes through the system but they do it anyway.

On a separate note, First Capital Connect not telling their inspectors the rules is one that gets right up my nose. I've had very rude, bullying inspectors issuing me with fines for sitting in 1st class because they haven't been told that on the trains on my line it's decomissioned. I even had a snotty policewoman threatening me and insisting "you have to pay!". I asked her if she was going to mug me if I refused. The guys who usually work the line get fed up with it too because, not surprisingly, they get grief for it. They're usually very friendly and actually tell people they can sit in first class.

Mishi

Jun 5, 2011, 12:39 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #172 of 790 (12659 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Out of interest on what London area lines CAN we sit in first class?

And how do you find out such things?

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 5, 2011, 1:31 PM

Post #173 of 790 (12654 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Doesn't everybody travel first class then?

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 5, 2011, 2:54 PM

Post #174 of 790 (12644 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Out of interest on what London area lines CAN we sit in first class?

And how do you find out such things?

Mishi, in my somewhat infrequent experience of rail travel these are decisions made in the moment, usually when unusual circumstances lead to overcrowding. I've experienced it returning from St P to Wellingborough in the evening (weekdays and Saturdays) simply due to weight of numbers, and from Hastings to London Bridge on a Saturday evening when one of the two 5-car units failed.

acmold

Jun 5, 2011, 2:54 PM

Post #175 of 790 (12644 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Doesn't everybody travel first class then?

For a number of years I had a free pass to use 1st class on Chiltern Trains, if thravelling standard class I had to pay the fare.

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 32 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3