Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: All Other Football Interests: All other football:
Robbie Keane

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 5, 2011, 11:54 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #1 of 18 (13424 views)
Shortcut
Robbie Keane Can't Post or Reply Privately

............is worth a mention as his brace in Macedonia last night took his international goal tally to a very impressive 51 from 108 caps. This places him in very exclusive company indeed with only 8 Europeans having ever scored more at that level - Miroslav Klose on 61 is the only player above him in the all-time list who is still active.

It's doubly impressive when taking into account how average Ireland have been for the bulk of his career with not many flair players around to create loads of chances for him so hats off Keano - we'll probably never see your like again.

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 6, 2011, 12:27 AM

Post #2 of 18 (13414 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Robbie Keane [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
............is worth a mention as his brace in Macedonia last night took his international goal tally to a very impressive 51 from 108 caps. This places him in very exclusive company indeed with only 8 Europeans having ever scored more at that level - Miroslav Klose on 61 is the only player above him in the all-time list who is still active.

It's doubly impressive when taking into account how average Ireland have been for the bulk of his career with not many flair players around to create loads of chances for him so hats off Keano - we'll probably never see your like again.

As you say, an impressive record.

Strangely though, when I saw the Republic play at Croke Park a couple of years ago (Keane scored the goal then too) the Irish fans seemed rather lukewarm towards him. They certainly didn't give him the rapturous backing you would expect someone with his goalscoring record to receive. Any reason why this should be the case, or was this not the norm ?

paulh66

Jun 6, 2011, 1:48 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #3 of 18 (13405 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Robbie Keane [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Indeed a great record from a player I've long admired but who's always seemed a bit of an enigma to me. Further compounded by mick's post!

I've never been able to work out why Keane has never really settled at any one club - guys like that usually carry some baggage or have an attitude problem but he's never struck me as being like that. Is it just a case that he's capable of sublime moments of skill but not on a consistent enough basis, or is there more to it than that?

BTW, great report on the trip to Macedonia, sounds like a fascinating experience (except for the M25....).

buncranaboy

Jun 6, 2011, 1:42 PM

Post #4 of 18 (13365 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Robbie Keane [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

As you say, an impressive record.

Strangely though, when I saw the Republic play at Croke Park a couple of years ago (Keane scored the goal then too) the Irish fans seemed rather lukewarm towards him. They certainly didn't give him the rapturous backing you would expect someone with his goalscoring record to receive. Any reason why this should be the case, or was this not the norm ?

There was a spell where Keane did appear to be taking a bit of flak from home fans and he threatened to end his international career at one time but thankfully has kept going. He's been the main man - indeed often the only man - for scoring our goals for over a decade and when he missed, we tended to lose. It will be a classic case of "you never know what you've got till its gone". He carries little baggage - perhaps he's too low key for his own good but because he's always scored, he's always been marketable. The ninth top scorer in Spurs history, and tenth in the all-time Premier League list of scorers, and still hugely popular at all his previous clubs. He's on his way down of course but can be relied on to give his best wherever he pitches up next. And he'll miss more than he scores, but don't they all ?
I guess there are some comparisons to be made with Michael Owen in terms of lukewarm appreciation?

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 6, 2011, 4:53 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #5 of 18 (13333 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Robbie Keane [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Enigma indeed, a Tottenham fan I know wasn't greatly impressed with him although I thought he did alright there and apparently he did nothing at West Ham last season, but then again neither did most of their squad, and of course his dream move to Liverpool didn't work out.

(This post was edited by Isaac on Jun 7, 2011, 12:06 AM)

UKPunk

Jun 6, 2011, 11:46 PM

Post #6 of 18 (13294 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Robbie Keane [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I thought he was very good in his first spell with us. But when he returned from Liverpool he wasn't the same player.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

buncranaboy

Jun 7, 2013, 11:01 PM

Post #7 of 18 (11860 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Robbie Keane [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

And Keane's remarkable goal record at international level goes on and on with a hat-trick tonight taking him onto 59 goals. Admittedly it was only against the Faeroes but they've still got to be scored and good job he was there as his "strike partner" Jon Walters looked like he'd struggle to get a game for the opposition.
Now in joint 19th place in the all-time international scorers list, and the 5th highest scoring European ever behind Puskas, Kocsis, Muller and Klose. All this on the night he broke the appearance record for Ireland.
He also scored a hat-trick for LA Galaxy on his last appearance before returning here for the end-of-season internationals which included a brace against Georgia last week as a second-half sub.
Top bloke.

paulh66

Jun 8, 2013, 3:42 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #8 of 18 (11847 views)
Shortcut

Probably the best player in MLS now, even with Thierry Henry still producing. Following Keane's departure for international duty, the Galaxy were bundled out of the US Open Cup at NASL side Carolina Railhawks, then got thumped in the league 5-0 at New England!

rainjar
First Team Star

Jun 8, 2013, 8:04 AM

Post #9 of 18 (11834 views)
Shortcut

List of footballers with 50 or more international goals.

Football Insights

jrev61

Jun 8, 2013, 8:56 PM

Team(s): None

Post #10 of 18 (11795 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rainjar] Robbie Keane [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

I read somewhere that Ferenc Puskas' goal record had been amended as an International against Egypt where he scored twice was re-instated as a full international,thus giving him 86 goals in 86 matches.
However this does not include the 3 matches (0 goals) that he played for Spain in the 1962 World Cup.
In the 1994 World Cup we were told that a striker known only as Muhamed had scored over 100 International goals although many were against club sided and therefore not counted by FIFA. Not sure if this is the same player as Majid Abdullah on the list. Many Arab players tend to be known by more than one name.

jrev61

rainjar
First Team Star

Jun 10, 2013, 4:14 PM

Post #11 of 18 (11691 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Robbie Keane [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

I read somewhere that Ferenc Puskas' goal record had been amended as an International against Egypt where he scored twice was re-instated as a full international,thus giving him 86 goals in 86 matches.
However this does not include the 3 matches (0 goals) that he played for Spain in the 1962 World Cup.
In the 1994 World Cup we were told that a striker known only as Muhamed had scored over 100 International goals although many were against club sided and therefore not counted by FIFA. Not sure if this is the same player as Majid Abdullah on the list. Many Arab players tend to be known by more than one name.

Majed Abdullah

Majed Ahmed Abdullah Al-Mohammed ... (born November 1, 1959 in Jeddah) is a former Saudi Arabian football (soccer) striker, the all-time goals leader for the Saudi national team. He was nicknamed Arabian Pelé. Abdullah was voted as the best football player in the history of Saudi Arabia in a poll by IBOPE Zogby International.

Majed goals for the national team
From August 1977 to June 1994, Majed scored 229 for the Nation Team. However, only 118 were officially counted because the remaining 111 were not scored in "Class A" matches (either against clubs or Olympic teams)

The list and the synopsis on his page credit him with only 67 international goals.

Football Insights

(This post was edited by rainjar on Jun 10, 2013, 4:19 PM)

buncranaboy

Sep 1, 2016, 10:10 PM

Post #12 of 18 (8557 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rainjar] Robbie Keane [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

And so the curtain falls on Robbie Keane's international career, bowing out with 68 goals in 146 games including a cracker against the mighty Oman last night. He finishes alongside Gerd Muller as the joint fourth highest European international goalscorer of all time, and the company he's keeping played in slightly better sides than most of the ROI XI's Keane played in.
Thanks for the memories Keano - is it really 14 years since THAT goal against Germany in Ibaraki ?
http://www.bing.com/...3737B5&FORM=VIRE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHzO122zvck

(This post was edited by buncranaboy on Sep 1, 2016, 10:41 PM)

UKPunk

Sep 2, 2016, 8:29 PM

Post #13 of 18 (8304 views)
Shortcut

As a Spurs supporter I thought he was a great player. Unlike some we've had he always put in a shift and you always felt he was capable of grabbing a goal. I can say the same about Jermaine Defoe. In a way they're similar players in that they don't waste time faffing about; they use the minimum of touches before shooting for goal.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 5, 2016, 2:37 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #14 of 18 (7517 views)
Shortcut

At the risk of proving that I am a hard-hearted, miserable old git, what is the point of picking a player who has announced his retirement from international football for a friendly?

PaulC

Sep 5, 2016, 2:57 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #15 of 18 (7502 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Robbie Keane [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
At the risk of proving that I am a hard-hearted, miserable old git, what is the point of picking a player who has announced his retirement from international football for a friendly?

I think you've answered your own question.

leohoenig
Administrator

Sep 5, 2016, 3:24 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #16 of 18 (7480 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Robbie Keane [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Money....

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

jrev61

Sep 5, 2016, 6:08 PM

Team(s): None

Post #17 of 18 (7417 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Robbie Keane [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Money....

The same thing happened with Sebastian Schweinsteiger who played his last 60 minutes in the friendly v. Finland. Lukas Podolski was supposed to play his last game too, but was injured. I look forward to Rooney's last game for England.

jrev61

garethwrexy

Sep 20, 2016, 7:28 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #18 of 18 (6122 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Robbie Keane [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Good player Kean

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3