Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: All Other Football Interests: Premier League & Football League:
Bristol Rovers - new stadium

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 12, 2011, 9:36 AM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #1 of 23 (6740 views)
Shortcut
Bristol Rovers - new stadium Can't Post or Reply Privately

Looks like Rovers have abandoned their plans to develop the Mem, and are instead going to build a new ground at the University -

http://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/...0328~2373698,00.html

ictoan
First Team Regular

Jun 12, 2011, 10:07 AM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 23 (6730 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] Bristol Rovers - new stadium [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The idea of working with the University is similar to Brighton & Hove Albion at Falmer. I wish them luck and hope they don't have the same problems with NIMBY's as Brighton did.

One thing that I'm not clear on, will the new ground be built before they vacate their present venue or will they have to ground share again?

There 'Ant no place like Sussex, until you goes above, 'Cause Sussex will be Sussex and Sussex wunt be druv.

The North begins at Gatwick.

IAN S
First Team Star

Jun 12, 2011, 10:49 AM

Team(s): Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles, Kendal Town

Post #3 of 23 (6724 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ictoan] Bristol Rovers - new stadium [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Can't see the new ground being ready for the start of next season but presume club could share with Bath again after this season. I'll take it as this being the last season for Memorial Ground, trust them to get bloody relegated!

We'll be, as we are, when all the fools who doubt us fade away.

garethwrexy
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 12, 2011, 11:06 AM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #4 of 23 (6721 views)
Shortcut
Re: [IAN S] Bristol Rovers - new stadium [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

groundshare with bristol city Wink

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 12, 2011, 11:26 AM

Post #5 of 23 (6715 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] Bristol Rovers - new stadium [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Looks like Rovers have abandoned their plans to develop the Mem, and are instead going to build a new ground at the University

UWE, not the 'real' Bristol University.

ictoan
First Team Regular

Jun 12, 2011, 11:29 AM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 23 (6715 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] Bristol Rovers - new stadium [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

That is mischievous.

As they wish to share the new stadium with Bristol Rugby Club, could they ground share at the Rugby Ground while construction is in progress?

There 'Ant no place like Sussex, until you goes above, 'Cause Sussex will be Sussex and Sussex wunt be druv.

Garrincha's dog
First Team Star

Jun 12, 2011, 11:44 AM

Post #7 of 23 (6708 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ictoan] Bristol Rovers - new stadium [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

That is mischievous.

As they wish to share the new stadium with Bristol Rugby Club, could they ground share at the Rugby Ground while construction is in progress?

Their current ground, the Memorial, is/was the rugby ground.

ictoan
First Team Regular

Jun 12, 2011, 11:54 AM

Team(s):

Post #8 of 23 (6701 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Garrincha's dog] Bristol Rovers - new stadium [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Their current ground, the Memorial, is/was the rugby ground.

Thank you for that information. The Rugby Club might then have to find a ground share.

I see there are mixed views about the situation on the Rugby Club's forum.

Gashead12
Junior Team Sub

Jun 12, 2011, 11:57 AM

Team(s): Bristol Rovers

Post #9 of 23 (6701 views)
Shortcut
Re: [IAN S] Bristol Rovers - new stadium [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Can't see the new ground being ready for the start of next season but presume club could share with Bath again after this season. I'll take it as this being the last season for Memorial Ground, trust them to get bloody relegated!

Hopefully the club will not have to leave the Memorial Stadium until construction of UWE Stadium is complete which according to our chairman will be at the start of the 13/14 season so there should be a few more seasons to visit the Memorial. The project is dependent on funding from selling the current ground to Sainsbury’s so that Rovers can finance the cost of building on the land UWE are providing. The planning permission to redevelop the Memorial Stadium (which was supposed to start at the end of the 2008 season) runs out in November although the club are applying for an extension to that in case they cannot afford the move. It all comes down to the reaction of the surrounding residents who were strongly against the idea of Rovers redeveloping the Memorial but seem to have released a statement saying they would prefer a supermarket to a redeveloped football ground. Planning permission at UWE shouldn’t be too much of a problem because the land has been marked for development since the university bought it in 2008.

leohoenig
Administrator

Jun 12, 2011, 12:59 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #10 of 23 (6686 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Bristol Rovers - new stadium [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Looks like Rovers have abandoned their plans to develop the Mem, and are instead going to build a new ground at the University

Mr T - are you, by any chance a graduate of the 'real' Bristol University??
P.S. - I am. I am far too old to have been the UWE, which did not exist then (or was called something else, without the word University)

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

acmold

Jun 12, 2011, 1:34 PM

Post #11 of 23 (6675 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Bristol Rovers - new stadium [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

P.S. - I am. I am far too old to have been the UWE, which did not exist then (or was called something else, without the word University)

Bristol Poly http://www1.uwe.ac.uk/...historytimeline.aspx

Could start a new thread "towns and cities" that have more than one University, understand one City may well soon have a third.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 12, 2011, 1:42 PM

Post #12 of 23 (6672 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Bristol Rovers - new stadium [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

No. It's just that the distinction has to be made now. It was once rare for a city or town to have more than one university and where that was the case, usually only one (the oldest) was eponymous. I know HE institutions have to prostitute themselves these days but I did wonder if it was likely that Bristol would associate itself with something as common as football and commerce...

(This post was edited by Mr. T on Jun 12, 2011, 1:43 PM)

leohoenig
Administrator

Jun 12, 2011, 2:13 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #13 of 23 (6660 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Bristol Rovers - new stadium [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think the University has never had a problem with commerce.
The fine and impressive neo gothic tower at the top of Park Street is the Wills Memorial Building
It is a memorial to Henry Overton Wills III, that is the HO Wills in the name WD & HO Wills on millions of fag packets.

Prior to cigarattes, the City of Bristol boomed mainly due to the slave trade

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 12, 2011, 2:33 PM

Post #14 of 23 (6651 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Bristol Rovers - new stadium [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hmm. I was attempting to be a little sardonic!

I realise that many institutions were set up in the 19th and early 20th centuries as a result of philanthropy and patronage, both individual and corporate, but in the self-righteous, anti-capitalist, post-80s Britain, commercial funding for any form of education has a bad name. And can you imagine the fuss if Bristol University (any university) were to announce that a brand new facility was to be funded by Imperial Tobacco or BAT? "Blood on their hands!" would be the cry.

The world has changed...

Astle68
Youth Team Regular

Jun 14, 2011, 3:47 PM

Team(s): WBA+ Chester FC

Post #15 of 23 (6499 views)
Shortcut

It looks pretty good I think.

Matches watched 200

Veteran

Jun 15, 2011, 1:58 AM

Post #16 of 23 (6448 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Bristol Rovers - new stadium [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

Could start a new thread "towns and cities" that have more than one University, understand one City may well soon have a third.

Liverpool already has.

I must also admit to being another graduate of Bristol University, but a long, long time ago .......

bakis
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 15, 2011, 11:34 AM

Team(s): Kidderminster Harriers

Post #17 of 23 (6402 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Veteran] Bristol Rovers - new stadium [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

So does Birmingham.

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 15, 2011, 2:59 PM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #18 of 23 (6361 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bakis] Bristol Rovers - new stadium [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Glasgow and Edinburgh have had three (or more) for a while now.

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

MistaFozzII
First Team Regular

Jun 21, 2011, 9:21 AM

Team(s): Darlingto

Post #19 of 23 (6133 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blackdouglas] Bristol Rovers - new stadium [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

2 in Newcastle, Teesside, Durham

In the case of Teesside, Durham operates in Stockton and in Durham, a Japanese University has a campus. There is a couple of Unis in Belfast, Queens Uni and University of Ulster, possibly also Trinity College from ROI

Mista Fozz

Husband, Dad, Mascot Extraordinaire and all round Idiot

nisi tu Deus, qui possit iudicare
My Facebook Profile
My Twitter Feed

sjosta
First Team Regular

Jul 26, 2011, 8:50 PM

Team(s): Groundhopper, ABE

Post #20 of 23 (5366 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MistaFozzII] Bristol Rovers - new stadium [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

2 in Dundee;although if Duncan of Jordanstone isn't part of the Uni, three

Football seen in: Scotland (268 grounds), England (969), Germany (289), Sweden (208), Netherlands (67), Wales (27), Ireland (S&N)(23/4), Austria (9), France (6), Denmark(5), Belgium(3),Italy(2), Luxembourg (2), Spain (2), Liechtenstein, Jersey, Switzerland, Canada
Figures correct(ish) at end of season 14-15 (1898 total)
For all your Fife needs:
Fife Junior History

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 27, 2011, 11:56 AM

Post #21 of 23 (5291 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Bristol Rovers - new stadium [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Could start a new thread "towns and cities" that have more than one University...

And then there are universities that are to be found in more than one town and city – Nottingham has set up institutions in Kuala Lumpur and China (near Shanghai).

sjosta
First Team Regular

Jul 27, 2011, 8:06 PM

Team(s): Groundhopper, ABE

Post #22 of 23 (5240 views)
Shortcut

I think that that particular thread would have to go through most of the universities in the UK, eg Dundee Uni has a College of Nursing annex in Dundee, and Heriot Watt has a textile annex in Galashiels (as well as in Stromness and most recently in Dubai Academic City (Heriot-Watt University Dubai campus)

Football seen in: Scotland (268 grounds), England (969), Germany (289), Sweden (208), Netherlands (67), Wales (27), Ireland (S&N)(23/4), Austria (9), France (6), Denmark(5), Belgium(3),Italy(2), Luxembourg (2), Spain (2), Liechtenstein, Jersey, Switzerland, Canada
Figures correct(ish) at end of season 14-15 (1898 total)
For all your Fife needs:
Fife Junior History

pitch 63
First Team Star

Aug 3, 2019, 8:45 PM

Post #23 of 23 (1743 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sjosta] Bristol Rovers - new stadium [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Set out below is from the BBC website. Ironic as I was boss of the Wholesale Fruit Market for nearly 20 years, and had to fight off a purchase from Bristol City about 15 years ago. I have actually ben involved in this working for a developer since the summer of 2018, and have known since late April that it was a fairly definite starter.

"Bristol Rovers are putting together a planning application to build a new stadium on the Bristol Fruit Market site, club president Wael Al-Qadi said.
After Rovers' plans for a 21,000-seater venue at the University of the West of England fell through in 2017, they "explored several" unnamed venues.
The League One club have played at their Memorial Stadium home since 1996.
"We have identified one site, along with others, we are very interested in," Al-Qadi told BBC Radio Bristol.
Talks over what to do with Bristol Rovers' home ground have been a long-running saga.
Plans ditched
The club first mooted plans to expand the Memorial Ground in 2005.
Those were later ditched in favour of a 21,000-seater stadium on the outskirts of the city.
"One of the sites is the fruit market - we are very interested in that site," Mr Al-Qadi.
Bristol Fruit Market is about four miles south of the Memorial Stadium, close to the city's main Temple Meads railway station.
"We have already started the work that goes in to planning permission," Mr Al-Qadi told sports presenter Geoff Twentyman.
"As you know it's a very long process and there's a lot of technical work that has to be done to get approval."
The site is currently owned by several parties and shareholders."

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3