Sports presenters mistakes

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 45 Next page Last page  View All

mr creosote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 25, 2011, 4:02 PM

Team(s): Grays Athletic, Haverhill Rovers

Post #101 of 1107 (45473 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just heard a commentator (Simon Doull?) at the NZ v S. Africa cricket match say, "The tension... you can cut a knife with it". Huh?

MistaFozzII
First Team Regular

Mar 25, 2011, 6:33 PM

Team(s): Darlingto

Post #102 of 1107 (45457 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mr creosote] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Last year when we played Pakistan in cricket, one of the commentators said something like 'the best Pakistan can hope for now is rain' it was about the time of serious floods there last summer

Mista Fozz

Husband, Dad, Mascot Extraordinaire and all round Idiot

nisi tu Deus, qui possit iudicare
My Facebook Profile
My Twitter Feed

Jaundiced Hack
First Team Star

Apr 1, 2011, 12:02 AM

Post #103 of 1107 (45388 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
I must have been at a loose end as I watched and listened to Andy Townsend's summation of the Stoke v West Ham QF last night. He praised Stoke and said they went about their business in an honest manner.
This was immediately followed by clips showing their goals - Huth's free header from a Delap throw when Upson couldn't get close to him because Walters impeded his path with no intent to play the ball himself, then Huth pulled Hitzlsperger out of the wall for Higginbotham to fire through the gap and score the winner. Between these, he also featured a blatant dive from Etherington to earn a penalty which he missed but none the less........
Either the definition of the word "honest" has changed, or Townsend's a complete twat. Answers on a postcard..............

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Apr 6, 2011, 2:07 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #104 of 1107 (45275 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jaundiced Hack] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It's official - Ray Wilkins is now senile. On a number of occasions at 3-0 down last night, he commented as Spurs cleared to give Real another corner - "Spurs are okay with these; they can defend corners no problem, it's when they run at them there are problems".
That would be apart from when Madrid scored their first and second goals then, both from corners.

And none of the learned panel actually said that Spurs were pants, even allowing for the fact that they were down to ten for most of the game. Jermaine Jenas gave possibly the worst performance I've ever seen from an England international player.

villahopper
First Team Star

Apr 6, 2011, 2:58 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa Bromsgrove Sporting New York Jets

Post #105 of 1107 (45264 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
It's official - Ray Wilkins is now senile. On a number of occasions at 3-0 down last night, he commented as Spurs cleared to give Real another corner - "Spurs are okay with these; they can defend corners no problem, it's when they run at them there are problems".
That would be apart from when Madrid scored their first and second goals then, both from corners.

And none of the learned panel actually said that Spurs were pants, even allowing for the fact that they were down to ten for most of the game. Jermaine Jenas gave possibly the worst performance I've ever seen from an England international player.

Even worse than Gabby Agbhon..Agbhon..Agbonlh....oh you know who I mean

UKPunk
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 6, 2011, 10:40 PM

Post #106 of 1107 (45236 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

I agree with both these statements. We were out of our depth. Still, if someone had said to me this time last year that we'd get tonked by Real Madrid in the Champions league quarter final I'd have told them they're nuts.

It'll never happen again and as soon as Rednapp becomes England manager we'll sink back to mid table mediocrity. But it was nice while it lasted.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

Tivvy_Al
First Team Sub

Jul 16, 2011, 12:19 AM

Post #107 of 1107 (44990 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or

Watching the golf this afternoon one of the commentators made a major faux-pas as they were waxing lyrical about Darren Clarke being in contention.

First commentator: "With the recent successes of Rory McIlroy and Graeme McDowell, should Clarke go on to win the tournament then perhaps Northern Ireland should retire."

The second commentator then replied "Maybe they will stop killing each other"

Eerie silence, and 30 minutes later an apology.

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

UKPunk

Jul 16, 2011, 3:13 PM

Post #108 of 1107 (44956 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tivvy_Al] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I wonder if his P45 is on the post?

(This post was edited by UKPunk on Jul 16, 2011, 3:14 PM)

garethwrexy

Jul 16, 2011, 5:35 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #109 of 1107 (44951 views)
Shortcut

giving ray wilkins a job was a mistake in the first place in my view...

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

Tivvy_Al
First Team Sub

Jul 17, 2011, 7:37 PM

Post #110 of 1107 (44876 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
I wonder if his P45 is on the post?

Mark James was the culprit. I don't believe he has been given his marching orders Crazy

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Gav
Youth Team Regular

Sep 12, 2011, 10:25 AM

Team(s): Sherborne Town, Yeovil Town, 1874 Northwich, Somerset CCC

Post #111 of 1107 (44416 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tivvy_Al] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Jeff Stelling once said on Sky Sports, ''Roth Raivers'' instead of ''Raith Rovers''.

(This post was edited by Gav on Sep 12, 2011, 12:10 PM)

UKPunk

Sep 12, 2011, 12:07 PM

Post #112 of 1107 (44411 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gav] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Gav once posted on here Rath Rovers instead of Raith Rovers. Tongue

Gav
Youth Team Regular

Sep 12, 2011, 12:09 PM

Team(s): Sherborne Town, Yeovil Town, 1874 Northwich, Somerset CCC

Post #113 of 1107 (44409 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Its not only Sports Presenters that make mistakes then!

UKPunk

Sep 13, 2011, 3:46 PM

Post #114 of 1107 (44367 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gav] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sorry mate, couldn't resist. Cool

archie
Junior Team Star

Sep 27, 2011, 8:08 PM

Team(s): Hibernian, Wimborne Town

Post #115 of 1107 (44251 views)
Shortcut

The comment that annoys me most is when a team has won 1-0 (or 2-0, etc) away from home in a two-legged competition and commentators talk about "the vital away goal", when in fact the only team that can now win on away goals is the team that's just lost!

UKPunk

Sep 28, 2011, 11:23 PM

Post #116 of 1107 (44219 views)
Shortcut
Re: [archie] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Alan Hansen on Match Of The Day last week.

"They went through the defence like a knife through hot butter."

leohoenig
Administrator

Sep 29, 2011, 7:57 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #117 of 1107 (44199 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Wasn't that a commentary on subutteo?

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

UKPunk

Sep 29, 2011, 10:01 AM

Post #118 of 1107 (44193 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Yes, but the game was abandoned due to the hot butter ruining the subbuteo pitch. Tongue

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 29, 2011, 8:28 PM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #119 of 1107 (44140 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Yes, but the game was abandoned due to the hot butter ruining the subbuteo pitch. Tongue

Probably due to the weather this week!
Plastic players don't like the heat Laugh

643 GROUNDS - Milton Keynes Robins (61/92)
582 WETHERSPOONS - Lytham
2 WETHERSPOONS HOTELS - Ripon

Dr Love
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 13, 2011, 12:13 PM

Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #120 of 1107 (43794 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not sure who said it, but according to the voiceover today on ITV Totton and Bradford play in the southern and northern sections of the Evostik League.

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 13, 2011, 1:05 PM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #121 of 1107 (43791 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dr Love] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not sure who said it, but according to the voiceover today on ITV Totton and Bradford play in the southern and northern sections of the Evostik League.

Heard it too, and that's the confusion the "commercial league names" of the two leagues will cause to people who
  1. don't do their research properly
  2. don't know what they're talking about
Not sure which category to put the commentator in. Probably the research section.

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 13, 2011, 5:44 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #122 of 1107 (43772 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blackdouglas] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I detest lazy journalism, partly because they're getting paid to something I'd give my right hand to be a position to, and we've had lots before during and after Ireland's play-off in Estonia. And no doubt it will still go on till the tie is wrapped up. " The 6th attempt to win a play-off" etc " has resulted in 4 previous defeats...".

Er, no. France for the 2010 WC, Turkey for Euro 2000, Belgium for WC 1998, Holland for Euro 96 with the solitary success against Iran for WC 2002. And one other.......

Perhaps the FAI are too embarrassed to recall the shenanigans of 1965, but the journo's shouldn't be - when the powers that be settled for pots of cash rather than a better chance of qualifying for WC 1966 and we lost a play-off to Spain 1-0 in Paris.

http://www.soccer-ireland.com/...eland-spain-1965.htm

mr creosote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 15, 2011, 12:46 PM

Post #123 of 1107 (43703 views)
Shortcut

It annoys me when cricket commentators say the 2nd new ball is due after 80 overs. Wrong. It is the new ball, not the 2nd new ball. That would be due after 160 overs. Admittedly, the game starts off with A new ball, but it is not THE new ball. It is just the ball. Or am I just talking a load of balls?

Red Adder
Youth Team Star

Nov 15, 2011, 2:39 PM

Post #124 of 1107 (43692 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mr creosote] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Technically its is the 2nd new ball - the one used at the start of the innings being the first. It is the first replacement new ball (but necessarily the first replacement ball).

mr creosote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 15, 2011, 4:50 PM

Post #125 of 1107 (43679 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Red Adder] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think the word "new" is being used in different contexts. The first ball is new because it is the first occurence, in other words there wasn't another ball previous to it. The second ball is new because it replaces the first ball. So perhaps we should call it the new new ball! My coat, hat and shoes are firmly on, and I am leaving the building...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 45 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3