Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 71 Next page Last page  View All

Seagull
First Team Star

Oct 10, 2011, 4:34 PM

Post #51 of 1758 (77345 views)
Shortcut
Re: [StephenHarris] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wigton 15 Carlisle 16
Att: 250 (est)
North 1 West (level 6)
Admission: not sure - late!
Programme: 40 pages (32 static), presumably in with admission, but blagged from the bar.
Catering: Pint of Holden's Golden Glow plus Egg Sandwich £3.15 (both very nice indeed)

Came across this on my way home from Aspatria v Keswick in the Cumberland Senior Cup and what a gem it is, being on B road as you leave Wigton heading for Penrith and the M6.

Only saw the 2nd half but for a game between two teams with only 1 win between them and played in wet conditions it was very watchable (unlike so much lower level Union). Carlisle were 16-10 up when I arrived and repelled everything that Wigton threw at them until the last 5 minutes when they finally managed to create an overlap and score wide out. The conversion proved too tough a task though and the visitors held on to win their first game of the season.

The ground is 1 of 3 in the complex, is railed on 3 sides and has a very impressive stand straddling the halfway line, raised well above pitch level.

(This post was edited by Seagull on Oct 10, 2011, 4:48 PM)

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Oct 12, 2011, 9:47 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #52 of 1758 (77270 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Seagull] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

British and Irish Cup

Rotherham Titans v Nottingham 17-22 (admission £14, programme £2, attendance 450 (estimate))

Well, this was a fluke for me personally.. Towards the end of my lunch hour at work on Tuesday, I went on a rugby union website in search of any possible fixtures, more with Sundays in mind, then spotted this today, when I had a day off work, at 3PM. I had one or two earlier appointments, but thought I could reach this comfortably, and so it proved.

My first rugby union game for a few years was actually quite enjoyable and an excellent second half (3-9 at half time) saw Nottingham go 3-19 up, largely through Stokes's kicking, until the "Mighty Titans", accompanied by try and goal music, fought their way back to 17-19 until Stokes scored from a penalty with a few minutes remaining to clinch the win.

Rotherham had made 13 changes from their last league match, and I think Nottingham had a similar number, but there was no reduction in the admission charge. It was £ 16 to sit in the sole stand which is somehow shoehorned into the middle of one side with a couple of steps of open terracing to the side, while behind the goal to the left is the typically large and plush changing room\clubhouse complex, where the perimeter rail follows the line of Rotherham Town's cricket pitch, with whom the Titans share, and makes the far side largely out of bounds. The right hand goal has flat standing in front of a car parking area in this ground a short, uphill walk from the town centre.

My appointments meant I didn't have time for a pre-match drink in the town, but I did have a post match drink in the Bridge Inn (Old Mill tied house), which is just across the road from the building site which is Rotherham Central station.

(This post was edited by Sale Holmfield on Oct 12, 2011, 9:52 PM)

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 15, 2011, 6:08 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #53 of 1758 (77209 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 15th October 2011
Acklam 11 Darlington 24 (HT 3-12)
Durham Northumberland Division One
Admission Free
Programme £1 (8pp)
Attendance 105 (h/c)

Far too glorious a day to spend much of it in the car driving to a distant unvisited football ground, therefore I opted for a sublime morning walk in sunny Coverdale, followed by a rugby union 'tick' in Middlesbrough, with the trip south down the A19 to my York home completing an enjoyable triangle. Not the greatest game (even by rugby union standards), I have to say. Too many schoolboy errors from rivals in the top five of the division. You shouldn't be dropping the ball in perfect weather, and turnovers simply represent sloppy work. The referee blew up far too often, as well. Thankfully, there were at least some passages of fluid play. With ball in hand (rather than spilled on the floor), Darlington looked a decent side. They led 12-3 at half-time having run in two tries, the second in stoppage time. 'Dar' (as their fans called them) added another try immediately after the restart, and moved out to 24-6 just over the hour with a fourth touchdown, despite seeing their full-back sin-binned for a high tackle which denied the hosts a certain score. Acklam added to a brace of penalties with an unconverted try in the 69th minute, giving the final score the appearance of respectability, and the home officials seemed pleased to have given opponents tipped for promotion a run for their money.

Talbot Park (a short distance west of the A172 Middlesbrough-Stokesley road) doesn't have much in the way of facilities, though a superb 180 degree panorama looking north across Teesside is ample compensation. All the region's 'sights' are in view. These include the Tees Transporter Bridge, the Portrack Incinerator, the Newport Bridge, the clock tower of Middlesbrough's Gothic Town Hall and the steaming pyres of ICI Billingham. All the facilities are on the south touchline. The two-storey Saltersgill Pavilion (a posh way of describing an ugly red-brick box) houses the dressing rooms and bar/kitchen. In front, there is hardstanding, with a metal barrier separating spectators from players. There is also a small section of barrier at the west end. Two other pitches stretch away, towards the north, beyond the first team pitch. There's neither cover nor floodlights. Acklam, founded in 1976, have had quite a climb up the rugby union pyramid, and Talbot Park cannot have changed all that much from their early years.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6247280892/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6246756071/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6247277346/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6246753329/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6246752523/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6246750903/in/photostream

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Oct 15, 2011, 7:46 PM)

The Moose
First Team Star

Oct 16, 2011, 10:08 PM

Team(s):

Post #54 of 1758 (77156 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sat 15th Oct: WELSH PREMIERSHIP - NEATH 46 LLANELLI 17

ADM: £10 PROG: £2 ATT: 1,246

So a long overdue trip across the bridge to the fantastic archaic splendour otherwise known as the Gnoll. The years rolled back to a time that I thought was long gone. Old school ramshackled main stand, covered cowshed terracing and four large floodlight pylons in each corner, it was just like being in an episode of 'Life on Mars!' Whether you go for the eggchasing or the footy tenants, The Gnoll is an absolute gem and well worth a visit.

I guess picking a decent autumnal day with the surrounding valleys awash with colour only added to the enjoyment. The game wasn't bad either with current leaders Neath winning comfortably in the end. Have to say you get value for money in Wales as the cost of entry is over around £15 less what you'd pay for the English version. The only surprise for me is the urban myth that they come in their thousands to watch rugby in Wales. Seemed surreal that 60,000 went to the Millenium on the same day to watch their nation play on large screens but not many watch their local sides which seems a shame. Cracking day out either way though and can't wait for another trip.

KRTM Cool

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 22, 2011, 6:06 PM

Post #55 of 1758 (77061 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 22nd October 2011
Roundhegians 33 Bramley Phoenix 26 (HT 23-6)
Yorkshire Three
Admission £2 (including 4pp programme)
Attendance 90 (h/c)
Tea (in a mug) 70p

Finally got the Memorial Ground ticked off after hearing Roundhegians had resumed programme production. This fixture was top versus second in Yorkshire Three, and proved a decent game. Bramley shipped two two tries in the first nine minutes and another brace in the last eight, and this was the difference between otherwise evenly-matched teams. At least the visitors picked up a deserved bonus point to reward a gallant effort. By the 15th minute, Roundhegians, whose speedy full-back crossed twice from distance, were 17-0 up and apparently cruising. Four further penalties, two to each side, left the hosts 23-6 up at the break.

Bramley were the better team in the second half, which the referee extended with an astonishing 13 minutes of stoppage time. A converted try and two penalties saw Phoenix close the gap to 23-16 before their kicker missed a crucial shot at goal. Relieved Roundhegians replied with two tries from their replacement right wing, who finished two chances very well indeed. Two late penalties clinched a bonus point for Bramley, but they could not force a try during the seemingly endless period of added time.

The Memorial Ground is in the affluent Leeds suburb of Roundhay. Roundhegians were founded in 1926 by former pupils of Roundhay School, but are now an 'open' club. Eighty-eight trees were planted around the ground in memory of players killed during the Second World War. A lovely gesture, I thought. The site, owned by the club and, I'd imagine, worth an absolute fortune, has two pitches. The first XV pitch is nearest the entrance on Chelwood Drive. A clubhouse (dressing rooms, bar, toilets etc) and a badminton hall are positioned in the south-east corner. Grass banking, from which the pitch is railed off, along the east and west touchlines offer elevated viewing. Trees, their leaves a riot of beautiful colours at this time of year, surround the ground, along with red-brick semis. The only cover is a bijou shelter for the manual scoreboard operator. There are rudimentary lights - for a narrow training area between the two pitches.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6270288110/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6270286320/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6269754157/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6270279844/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6269748663/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6270274552/in/photostream

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Oct 22, 2011, 9:19 PM)

IAN S
First Team Star

Oct 22, 2011, 8:27 PM

Team(s): Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles, Kendal Town

Post #56 of 1758 (77048 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Buxton 41
University of Liverpool 5
h/t 22-5
Cheshire/South Lancs. Div. 3
no admission or programme

On an appropriate day weatherwise, I visited Sunnyfields the home of Buxton RU. The Uni. were top of the league and I looked forward to what on paper looked a good game. How wrong I was. Liverpool were dreadful, some of them didn't seem to know the rules and they didn't even have a proper kit, all dressed in whatever shirt they could find.

After scoring straight form the kick off, Buxton never broke sweat in winning this game. The referee was awful and didn't seem to know what a "knock-on" was, even when, literally, they occurred right under his nose.

Great set up near the village of Harpur Hill, just outside Buxton. Despite it being sunny it was bloody freezing and this is not a venue for the faint hearted in deepest winter. This was probably why only about 20 people bothered to turn up to watch this game and 6 of them came on Liverpool's delipidated charabang. A decent tick but it made me realise why I only watch about 3/4 RU games in a season.

We'll be, as we are, when all the fools who doubt us fade away.

cl
Youth Team Regular

Oct 23, 2011, 8:42 AM

Post #57 of 1758 (77016 views)
Shortcut

Still undecided about RU

Last week at Ruislip was too depressing to even post but today a very good fare of £14 from Tamworth to Bludellsnads took me to Waterloo v Birkenhead Park. A traditional club with a superb ground maybe 600 seats albeit all facing directly into the low sun and open concrete and grass terraceing opposite

Hard to estimate the crowd but about 600 which is excellent for lower level RU anywhere for what appears to be a regular local derby. It seems the fans of both sides knew each other well and the away ones, whose side conceded I think 59 points took the defeat and banter well

Decent bars as you would expect with Lees and Deuchars on hand pump.

Could do more of this especially if a try fest but for every one of these there is an appalling game and an unfriendly set up. £5 to get in including prog is excellent value

Walked from Waterloo along the beach which is sandy here with dunes. First time I have seen the sculptures here and I really like the idea

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 23, 2011, 10:22 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #58 of 1758 (77011 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cl] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
It seems the fans of both sides knew each other well and the away ones, whose side conceded I think 59 points took the defeat and banter well

It was 59-14.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 29, 2011, 10:46 PM

Post #59 of 1758 (76881 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cl] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 29th October 2011
Blaydon 6 Jersey 12 (HT 6-5)
National League One
Admission £10 (including 28pp programme - 24pp glossy shell, 4pp photocopied insert)
Attendance 210 (h/c)

Crow Trees (in Swalwell rather than Blaydon) is worth a visit for an old grandstand and grass covered terracing. The corrugated iron stand and its slatted wood bench seats are some architectural and aesthetic contrast to the vast clubhouse, which opened in 1996. As well as two bars and a shop on the ground floor, the clubhouse has three function suites - doubtless raking in valuable income for a club struggling for support. A chav wedding reception (high heels, tattoos and bad language) was just getting under way when I arrived. The programme talked of opponents Jersey attracting a 1,900 gate for their last home fixture, and suggested the Channel Islanders are lucky because they don't have football providing stiff competition. That's rather like saying rugby union is so rubbish (which frequently it is) that people will watch it in numbers only when there's nothing else on offer. Blaydon's spacious site has three pitches. The first XV pitch is railed off, floodlit and fringed by (what else?) trees. There is an enormous amount of parking space, most of it surplus to requirements.

This was a desperately poor game. Jersey won it with a converted try five minutes from time. The visitors dominated the opening stages and, having unaccountably missed an early penalty in front of the posts, went ahead with a 21st-minute try too wide to convert. Blaydon's full-back kicked two penalties to give the hosts a 6-5 half-time lead they barely deserved. Jersey had a player sin-binned either side of half-time for one-on-one spear tackles, but Blaydon were unable to capitalise. Just when it looked as if Blaydon would hang on in a dire second half, Jersey's left-wing broke clear and passed inside to his fly-half, who had the pace and strength to make it to the line for a converted try.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6292421115/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6292943950/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6292419493/in/photostream

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Oct 29, 2011, 11:09 PM)

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 30, 2011, 7:20 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #60 of 1758 (76846 views)
Shortcut

One or two papers are displaying Exeter v Gloucester next Saturday is at 5.30 due to it being on ESPN but both club websites still have it down as 3.00. Anyone know any more on this?

jrev61
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 30, 2011, 8:47 PM

Team(s): None

Post #61 of 1758 (76830 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
One or two papers are displaying Exeter v Gloucester next Saturday is at 5.30 due to it being on ESPN but both club websites still have it down as 3.00. Anyone know any more on this?

QPR v.Manchester City is on ESPN at that time.

jrev61

John Mills
Reserve Team Star

Oct 30, 2011, 9:23 PM

Post #62 of 1758 (76823 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or

It was originally announced as a 5.30 kick-off when the first set of TV fixtures were released, but has since reverted to being at 3pm for reasons I know not.

Seagull
First Team Star

Oct 31, 2011, 11:18 AM

Post #63 of 1758 (76803 views)
Shortcut

Saturday 29th Oct 2011
Keswick 40 Silloth 5
Cumbrian Division
Adm/Prog: No
Att: 60

On paper this should have been a close game between two of the top 3 but in reality it was very one sided, with Keswick's handling in the very wet conditions excellent, whilst Silloth's was poor. The home side scored most of their tries through fine 3/4 line moves which in such poor conditions was quite admirable.

The ground is a lovely affair, with a fine old grandstand in early pre cast concrete style, raised grass banking either side of the stand and both sides railed, plus a lovely old clubhouse which looked like a refugee from a WW2 RAF base. The food and drink available was of the highest order and very reasonable, a hot scotch egg (local butchers, Cumberland Sausage Meat) was £2 and a pint of Keswick Brewery Nut Brown Ale was 2.50 (and absolutely gorgeous). A full mixed grill was available including about 5 different meats plus chips and veg for 7.95 and the smell coming from the kitchen was heavenly.

On a truly foul afternoon weatherwise this was a gem of a find and for those who like old grounds it is well worth seeking out. The backdrop of Latrigg, Skiddaw and Blencathra was pretty good in the grimmest of weather, on a good day I suspect it would spectacular.

SKY BLUE TAT
Youth Team Regular

Nov 2, 2011, 5:21 PM

Team(s): coventry city ,leicester tigers, coventry bees, leicestershire ccc

Post #64 of 1758 (76751 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Seagull] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

MONDAY 31st OCTOBER
AVIVA A LEAGUE NORTH.
LEICESTER TIGERS v NORTHAMPTON WANDERERS
ADMISSION £ 5
TEAM SHEET . FREE

Leicester hosted Northampton in the opening A league game of the season at welford road. Only the crumbie stand and terrace were open for the game. Leicester always get a decent crowd for these games. The first half was fairly even with Northampton scoring 2 tries to Leicesters 1 but leicester went in at half time 19-18 up . George Ford kicked 4 penalties for the Tigers. Northampton players always seemed bigger ,quicker and stronger and that showed in the 2nd half. Northampton ran in 7 tries as tigers were ripped apart. Leicester managed just 1 try in the 2nd half. Northampton scored 49 points to Leicester's 5 in the 2nd half. Final Score 24-67.

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 5, 2011, 6:39 PM

Post #65 of 1758 (76671 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SKY BLUE TAT] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 5th November 2011
Kirkby Lonsdale 13 Upper Eden 14 (HT 3-14)
North Lancs/Cumbria League
Admission £3 (including glossy six-page fold-out programme)
Attendance 150 (h/c)

A feisty Westmorland (in old money) derby at a smashing ground in a beautiful setting. From Underley Park's stand, thought to be at least 100 years old, you look past autumn-tinted trees and across the River Lune to Middleton Fell, Barbon Fell and the narrow ravine of Barbondale. The Howgill Fells, on this occasion lit spectacularly by the setting sun, are visible to the west. Away to the east, beyond the sticks, the church tower and and rooftops of Kirkby Lonsdale, a very pretty town, can be seen.

The rugby union club have played at this ground since they were formed in 1877 - some achievement, I'd say. In addition to the historic stand, the first team pitch has hardstanding and a wooden rail on each side. Grass banking on the stand side offers an excellent elevated perspective of the action. The rather ugly clubhouse, a grey structure opened in 1981, is 100 yards distant, beyond the second XV pitch. On its walls is an impressive display of black and white photographs going back to the club's early days. There are two other pitches on a site also offering fine views of Underley Hall. A great location on a sunny November afternoon.

Not (for rugby union) a bad game, either. Both teams were in the table's top seven at kick-off. Kirkby's outside centre kicked an eighth-minute penalty to put his side 3-0 up, but Upper Eden, from Kirkby Stephen, replied with penalties from their fly-half in the 24th and 32nd minutes to lead 6-3. Concerted pressure led to a well-worked 37th-minute try in the left corner for the visitors' scrum-half, and his half-back partner added a penalty in the third minute of stoppage time to give Eden a 14-3 interval advantage.

Kirkby Lonsdale needed to cut out the errors which had blighted their first-half performance, and things looked good for them when one of their props trundled over for a soft try two minutes after the restart, the outside centre converting to make it 14-10. The outside centre reduced the deficit to a single point with a 63rd-minute penalty, but the home team could not force another score, despite playing almost the entire 40 minutes in the Upper Eden half. The visitors were content to spoil, slow down the game and stick the ball up their jumpers. An effective percentage strategy, but not terribly inspiring. Watching was a fair crowd, certainly more than I was expecting in such a small place, but nowhere near the 1,000-plus predicted to descend upon Underley Park later in the evening for a bonfire and fireworks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6316373910/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6316373036/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6316369612/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6315845897/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6316362258/in/photostream

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Nov 5, 2011, 10:05 PM)

The Moose
First Team Star

Nov 6, 2011, 5:47 PM

Team(s):

Post #66 of 1758 (76632 views)
Shortcut

Sat 5th Nov: Welsh Eggchasing Prem Div.

SWANSEA 33 NEATH 33

Adm: £10 Prog: £2 Att: h/c 550

Finally managed to watch live action at St.Helens and what a ramshackled gem it still is despite the old wooden grandstand having been pulled down. They've replaced it with some shiny new seats which don't have the same character. Loved the lopsided terracing on the cricket pavilion side though where most of the away support congregated.

Having done the Liberty, Vetch and now the oldest ground left in Swansea I guess you need to do it whilst you can. Prime real estate land by the sea so I wouldn't be surprised for someone to buy it for development. As for the game well it was a cracking local derby thoroughly enjoyable with the right result in the end. Starting to really enjoy visits to these old school seventies throwbacks type of grounds with floodlights in each corner like footy stadiums used to be.

KRTM Cool

Ostrich
First Team Sub

Nov 9, 2011, 8:26 PM

Post #67 of 1758 (76534 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Sat 5th Nov: Welsh Eggchasing Prem Div.

SWANSEA 33 NEATH 33

Adm: £10 Prog: £2 Att: h/c 550

Finally managed to watch live action at St.Helens and what a ramshackled gem it still is despite the old wooden grandstand having been pulled down. ........... Starting to really enjoy visits to these old school seventies throwbacks type of grounds with floodlights in each corner like footy stadiums used to be.

KRTM Cool

Moose, Pontypridd's Sardis Road ground is well worth a visit if you haven't already ticked it. I haven't been there since the early 90's, so I don't know if it's changed much, but the view from the old grandstand over the pitch and the town was superb ....

The Moose
First Team Star

Nov 9, 2011, 8:55 PM

Team(s):

Post #68 of 1758 (76529 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ostrich] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cheers OSTRICH, I've managed to do Cardiff, Newport, Llanelli (old & new), Swansea, Neath & Glamorgan Wands so far. Still very much on my 'to do' list are Bridgend, Aberavon, Pontypridd & Pontypool. For no other reason than the grounds are stuck in a timewarp and remind me of my early 70's Southern League ground hopping days means the Welsh rugby grounds deliver much pleasure to a simple soul like myself!

KRTM Cool

Ostrich
First Team Sub

Nov 9, 2011, 11:11 PM

Post #69 of 1758 (76520 views)
Shortcut

LOL Moose, when I used to live in the West Country (near Yeovil) I spent 3 or 4 seasons watching "Ponty" on a fairly regular basis when they were a pretty successful club side in the Welsh First Division (as then was). I saw Neil Jenkins make his debut as an 18/19 yo .....

I've seen most major Welsh club sides play but as for grounds, I've only ticked (the old) Cardiff Arms Park, Pontypool, Newport, Cardiff, Bridgend, Swansea, SW Police (near Bridgend) - and Hirwaun, in the shadow of Tower Colliery! That was a Welsh Cup round 3 tie v. Cowbridge from memory, it rained throughout the day as it can only rain in South Wales, and the only shelter at the ground was a row of conifers down one side of the pitch - but they did issue a 4 page programme!

<sigh> Happy days ...... Smile

Like Sardis Road, Bridgend's Brewery Field is a time-warp ground well worth a visit, but Pontypool is a slightly strange but nevertheless attractive one as it's set in a bowl in the middle of parkland.

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 12, 2011, 5:58 PM

Post #70 of 1758 (76415 views)
Shortcut

You'd be well advised to add Maesteg to your list, Mr Moose. A lovely village club set-up. Cross Keys is pretty good, too.

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 12, 2011, 6:21 PM

Post #71 of 1758 (76414 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ostrich] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 12th November 2011
Billingham 57 Northern 3 (HT 21-3)
North One East
Admission £4 (including 16pp programme)
Attendance 140 (h/c)
Tea (in a large cardboard cup) £1

Northern had no answer to North One East leaders Billingham's pace, slick handling and direct running. My goodness, it was almost like watching a rugby league team! Star of the show was home full-back Peter Evans, who scored four tries (all from distance) and kicked six conversions for a personal tally of 32 points. In the opening 10 minutes there was no sign of what was to come because Newcastle-based Northern spent them camped in the Billingham 22. But the visitors were too one-paced and predictable to make count their possession - and they had plenty throughout an open contest. In all, the dominant Teessiders ran in nine tries.

The Chap Next To Me turned out to be Evans's grandfather. The lad (21, I was told) began with Newcastle Falcons as a 14-year-old, but left three years later when the club suggested he should go to university. How a degree improves one's ability to play rugby union, I'm not sure. He joined Billingham, who found him a job as a plasterer. Evans has since been approached by Blaydon (who offered him £175 a week) and Darlington Mowden Park (£75 a week), but he has stayed put because he feels obligated to Billingham over his employment. A commendable attitude. I'll drop York RLFC a line about this prospect. He's made for rugby league, in which he would see much more of the ball, benefit from playing on harder surfaces in summer, and relish the increased space on the pitch 13-a-side produces.

Not, I have to say, a particularly inspiring set-up. Very close to Billingham Synthonia FC, the Greenwood Avenue ground, used formerly by now-defunct Teesside Steelers ARLFC, has four pitches. The first XV pitch, though floodlit, lacks cover and hardstanding. A two-storey clubhouse (opened in 2002, with bar and refreshments on the first floor) is positioned behind the sticks at the south end, and its balcony provides an excellent view of the action. The pitch is roped off on each side, with permanent barriers at both ends.

Uniquely in my hopping experience, kick-off was preceded by a minute's silence to salute the casualties of war and then a minute's applause in a memory of a Billingham U12s player who, according to the programme, died last week after a long battle against illness.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6338204284/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6338203204/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6337449081/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6338199278/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6337445595/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6337444787/in/photostream

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Nov 12, 2011, 8:39 PM)

Seagull
First Team Star

Nov 14, 2011, 1:40 PM

Post #72 of 1758 (76301 views)
Shortcut

Birkenhead Park 8 Rossendale 25
National League 3 North
Att: 115 (h/c)
Admission £5, incl 16pp programme
Food: "Sausage Supper" £2-50 (large piece of crispy jacket potato, 2 bangers, peas, broad beans, onions and gravy, plus as much french bread as you wanted).

BP are a very old and historic club (founded 1871) who have undoubtedly seen better times. The ground though is well worth a visit for some very quirky pitchside barriers (deliberately set at roughly 45 degrees), some lovely old terracing (overgrown and returning to nature) and a most wonderful clubhouse that dates from 1892 (I think). On the edge of the actual park itself and with many trees in full autumnal glow in the low sun, this was a great day to visit such an old club.

The game was decent enough, with the visitors playing most of the open rugby (4 tries to 1) and having rather more pace out wide than the home side.

The food and welcome was warm and the open fire in the clubhouse quite spectacular (as well as wonderfully warm) and a trip to this famous old name of Northern Club Rugby comes highly recommended.

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 18, 2011, 4:07 PM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #73 of 1758 (76078 views)
Shortcut

Two dates in my diary for rugby union:
Thur Dec 8 Agen v Sale
Fri Dec 9 Perpignan v Cavalieri Prato
fingers crossed back in time for FC United game on Dec 10

Ryanair flights £30 rtnSmile

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (956) Wellington 0-2 Exmouth Town
With FC United: 134
On the agenda:
15/10 FC United v Basford United
16/10 Ashland Rovers v Underwood Villa
19/10 Atherton Collieries v FC United

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 19, 2011, 6:27 PM

Post #74 of 1758 (76026 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 19th November 2011
Lymm 16 Darlington Mowden Park 12 (HT 11-12)
National League Three North
Admission £5 (including 36pp programme - 32pp glossy shell, 4pp insert)
Attendance 160 (h/c)

Fourth-placed Lymm ended leaders Darlington Mowden Park's 10-game winning run - but needed a slice of luck to edge an absorbing contest. The visitors thought they had snatched victory with a try by the flag in the first minute of stoppage time, only for the referee to pull them back for a marginal forward pass. How many times does that happen in rugby union, for goodness sake? Defeat would have been very hard on Lymm, who dug deep throughout, especially between the 67th and 77th minutes when down to 14 men after their loose head prop was sin-binned for putting a hand where he shouldn't (as it were). After Park's fly-half missed an early kickable penalty, Lymm went 8-0 up with a penalty (18min) from their inside centre and a try (21min) in the corner to their left wing, who capitalised on two missed tackles to finish well. Excellent support for the ball carrier saw Mowden Park close the gap to 8-7 with a nicely-worked try (29min) to their right wing, with the fly-half adding the conversion. Lymm's inside centre (37min) landed a penalty for 11-7, but the visitors crossed from a rolling maul (no idea who touched down) with the last move of the first half to lead 12-11. Little to choose between the teams in a tense second 40 minutes in which chances were few. The only score came 10 minutes in when, with Mowden Park sweeping the ball confidently across the backs and looking likely to cross, Lymm's right wing intercepted and ran 75 metres for a try his inside centre could not improve. The wing didn't really have the pace to go all the way, but the defender tracking back slipped and fell as he reached out to effect an ankle tap. The final whistle prompted joyous Lymm celebrations. Always nice to see a wholly amateur club beat one paying silly wages!

Lymm, founded in 1960, are a relatively young club and have always played at Beechwood, though in their debut season every fixture was away from home. An interesting venue, Beechwood, close to Lymm Dam, was part of the Lymm Hall estate. The mansion, whose last owner was one of the Lever brothers (the soap guys), was demolished in the 1930s, and when the rugby club moved in, they turned the surviving stables into a clubhouse and dressing rooms. The original first XV pitch is bordered by an ornate wall which marked the boundary of an exercise paddock for horses. This pitch is floodlit, railed off and slopes badly in two directions. In September 2010, Lymm opened a new senior pitch (along with two others) immediately to the south. This is flatter and wider, but lacks either lights or cover. It is railed off with sturdy wooden barriers, though the lie of the land means decent views can be had only from the north end and east side. Owing to the site's open, exposed position, this is a ground best saved for decent weather.

Thanks to Seagull for the heads-up on this table-topper. I made an eleventh hour decision to visit Lymm rather than West Hartlepool's home game with Waterloo in the same division. The standard of play in National League Three was an obvious step-up from the regional stuff I've seen in recent weeks. Hell's bells, a majority of the players looked like athletes!

One important item of news: Darlington Mowden Park are leaving their present Yiewsley Drive ground (home since 1970) at the end of the season. They will relocate from Mowden to a site in the West Park area, near the town's ring road, in time for the start of the 2012-13 campaign.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Nov 19, 2011, 7:13 PM)

Ostrich
First Team Sub

Nov 19, 2011, 8:59 PM

Post #75 of 1758 (76012 views)
Shortcut

Saturday 19th November 2011
Midlands 2 West (North) – Level 7
Spartans (Midlands) RFC 17 Stafford RFC 10
Admission - None
Programme – None, but walking into a virtually empty bar, I noted a piece of paper lying forlornly on a table which turned out to be the Stafford team sheet …..
Refreshments – None. Definite activity in the club kitchen, but no food on sale.
Attendance – 16 at kick-off, eventually peaking at 42!

The 2011/12 Master Plan called for Stourbridge v Frome this afternoon but I rather suspected that game might be a bit “After the Lord Mayor’s Show” for Stourbridge after their Cup exploits last week, and as a grey, miserable day dawned in the West Midlands, inertia set in and I settled for something a lot closer to home. A new ground tick and two new clubs for me.

Spartans’ ground is in Coppice Lane, Middleton (just outside the West Midlands boundary) and they share it with Aston Unity Cricket Club. A single storey brick clubhouse, surrounded in scaffolding for some unfathomable reason, but spacious and uncluttered inside. Pleasant ground, two rugby pitches, the main one roped with two plastic dug-out shelters, but both were on the far side of the cricket square so there was a short trek from the clubhouse. The training area is floodlit, not the pitches, and vast areas of the ground appeared to have received the attention of a spiked roller – it was still a bit boggy in places, and I think I overheard they’d had a water leak. The ubiquitous mobile phone array was present, but screened by conifers so not obtrusive.

Spartans are languishing in the second relegation spot this season, and desperately in need of points. Stafford were mid-table but were coming off the back on an unexpected home defeat last week. Electing to play up the slight slope, Spartans started with a bang and were 7-0 up after 2 minutes, the try scored by their no.14 who chipped over the defence, followed up, and the ball bounced just sufficiently to the left to enable him to touch down wide.

Stafford then spent the next 20 minutes or so encamped in the Spartans 22 but couldn’t find a way through, and a quick break-out by the home team on 22m had them scrambling back fast. Having made it to the far end of the pitch, Spartans capitalized with a second unconverted try from no.14 again, taking the ball through wide on the left. On 31m, Stafford opened their account, catching Spartans cold with a quick, long throw in from the half way line that resulted in Williams scoring in the far corner.

The second half saw Spartans playing down the slight slope, and having got inside Stafford’s 22 and won an infringement, the scrum elected to go for a push-over try. There then followed a fascinating 15 minutes of countless scrums during which they managed to walk it just 10 yards down-field! On 66m, Stafford’s no.22 who had only been on since half-time was yellow carded for a mystery offence, and 3 minutes later, Spartans no.6 got the break through the defence to make it 17-5.

On 74m, in a rare attack, Stafford pulled the score back to 17-10 when following a quick free-kick Yamoyamo was able to race in wide left; however he missed an opportunity to touch-down closer to the posts and the conversion was missed. Still, only one score in it, and Spartans grimly held on in the closing stages, although their cause was helped when a second Stafford player was sin-binned for, we thought on the touchlines, kicking out at an opponent. The home side’s joy when the final whistle went was palpable, and the 4 points for the win moves them out of the relegation zone.

(This post was edited by Ostrich on Nov 19, 2011, 9:01 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 71 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3