Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: General Discussion:
Best Non Pyramid League in London?

First page Previous page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 31 Next page Last page  View All

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 17, 2011, 7:29 PM

Post #326 of 753 (28552 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HughesVideo] FA National Sunday Cup - 1st Round Results [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You make great points about cultural and religious affinity in Sunday football. For 2 years we have been talking about the best Sunday teams in London, totally oblivious to the fact that many of these Sunday teams were formed on ethnic, national or religious grounds! We have been discussing the merits of Turkish, Cypriot, Jewish and Asian teams who have played each other many times without any conflict. In Saturday football, teams tend to be molded by geographic factors (e.g. the local town team). Sunday football tends to be cultural: with teams with shared culture coming together to play on Sundays (e.g. the Turkish, Cypriot, Jewish and Asian leagues) against teams of mixed culture without any animosity. Long may it continue.

Although we finally got our wish to have all the elite teams in the LFA Challenge Cup, it has somewhat weakened the Intermediate Cup. I just cannot see any clear favourite in the Challenge Cup and there about 8 top quality sides who will fancy themselves as realistic winners. The issue is compounded by the fact that all these "big guns" are going to run into each other in the early rounds so we might not even see the best two teams in the final. That said, Baldon Sports and Greengate of the Essex Sunday Corinthian League seem to have been very fortunate in the draw, and have managed to stay away from all the most dangerous sides. They are the only ones I can see with a straight "home run" into the quarter-finals. Greengate are my dark horses for the Challenge Cup. They can get to the semi-finals without having to play New Salamis, Aris, Pearscroft United, Clapton Rangers, Akincilar or Baldon. They won the Intermediate Cup last year and have been winning many titles in their league too. They are (as usual) undefeated and won their FA (National) Sunday Cup match yesterday against a very good Belstone FC team.

greek superstar
Ballboy/girl

Oct 21, 2011, 8:13 PM

Post #327 of 753 (28432 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stevegraze] FA National Sunday Cup - 1st Round Results [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have currently been reading this thread and noticed the greek league has a massive reputation which i was quite suprised at, and also noticed hughes is linked with edmonton rovers i have seen a couple of your videos and looked at your website and noticed one of your players john scouller doesnt get much game time funnily i played along side him at dynamo fc and all i can say is what a player!!! you must have a excellent side if he cant get a game one of the most naturally gifted footballers i have ever seen at that level

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Oct 22, 2011, 9:09 PM

Team(s): Edmonton Rovers (Sunday League) ...and whoever I film for !

Post #328 of 753 (28384 views)
Shortcut
Re: [greek superstar] FA National Sunday Cup - 1st Round Results [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I have currently been reading this thread and noticed the greek league has a massive reputation which i was quite suprised at, and also noticed hughes is linked with edmonton rovers i have seen a couple of your videos and looked at your website and noticed one of your players john scouller doesnt get much game time funnily i played along side him at dynamo fc and all i can say is what a player!!! you must have a excellent side if he cant get a game one of the most naturally gifted footballers i have ever seen at that level

John joined us half-way through last season. I think he had a bad injury playing for Dynamo or another team after that and was out of action for some time during which he put on a lot of weight. He still needs to get fit before we can give him a regular 90 minutes.
That's the problem with Sunday football nowadays. As has already been mentioned in this thread, the players in the top divisions of strong Sunday Leagues such as the one we we play in are so fit and quick that you can't get away with having people playing who are unable to sprint, which was what Sunday football was like 10-15 years ago.

You are right about John's ability though. He has some great skill for a big bloke. We are just hoping he doesn't get frustrated being a sub most weeks and can get himself fit enough as we know he can score goals.

http://www.hughesvideoservices.co.uk
http://www.edmontonrovers.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/hughesvideo

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 1, 2011, 2:09 PM

Post #329 of 753 (28239 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HughesVideo] FA National Sunday Cup - 1st Round Results [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

More results are in from the 1st round of the LFA Sunday Challenge Cup. Don't know what is going on with the draw but most of the teams below are from the Orpington and Bromley District League! (and apart from NLO, Omonia and Tripimeni), the others are from the Metropolitan League. Some of these matches were derbies between teams in the same league!

Groundhoppers 2 v Vista 1

Hatcham 3 v Continental 1

London Maccabi Lions 4 v Charlton Rangers 2

North London Olympians v Woodpecker
Eltham Town 2 v Kenningwell United 1

Omonia 2 v Baldon Sports 3
Tripimeni 7 v Caribb Club 1 (postponed 1st round game)
Does anyone know the result of the NLO v Woodpecker game?
...or why Baldon Sports 'demoted' themselves to the second tier of their league? (Orpington and Bromley)

SECOND ROUND DRAW:

Fulham Utd (Sportsman) V New Salamis
London Maccabi Lions v Pearscroft United
Hatcham v Akincilar
Clapton Rangers V NLO or Woodpecker

Greengate v Groundhoppers
Baldon Sports V Panthea
Brixton United V Eltham Town

Dees v FC Tripimeni
Darney, how do you think your "new tip" Wink Dees will get on against Tripimeni (Aris) from the KOPA League?

I've put the teams I tip to get through in italics.

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Nov 2, 2011, 1:18 PM

Post #330 of 753 (28206 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stevegraze] FA National Sunday Cup - 1st Round Results [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Does anyone know the result of the NLO v Woodpecker game?
...or why Baldon Sports 'demoted' themselves to the second tier of their league? (Orpington and Bromley)

NLO v. Woodpecker was postponed, but I don't know why. Woodpecker's last three results have all been very heavy defeats though, so maybe they couldn't get a side out ? That's a good question regarding Baldon Sports. They also have a team in the top division of the London & Kent Border Sunday League this season, but there's no sign of any Dolbys in their squad listed here, so that Orpington & Bromley side must be their best team and the one that enters the LFA Sunday Challenge Cup.

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 2, 2011, 6:09 PM

Post #331 of 753 (28187 views)
Shortcut
LFA Sunday Challenge Cup - 1st Round Results [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Very strange decision by Baldon to go down a division. They have several teams entered in the Orpington & Bromley, LKB and Metropolitan Leagues. To be fair, a lot of the South London teams enter several sides in those leagues (Groundhoppers, Eltham Town etc). I don't think Baldon's star player Luke I'Anson has been playing for them recently. He's not injured as he has been playing for Dover Athletic in the Conference. I suspect he may play more regularly if Baldon reach the latter stages of the Challenge Cup.

Mr Hughes, what's happening to your teams from the Waltham League? Not having much luck in the County Cups. After Upshire's 1-4 defeat to Aris in the National Cup, I see Continental from your Premier Div lost to Hatcham from the same league (Orpington and Bromley) as Baldon Sports. Hatcham are having a bad season too - second from bottom/only one win this season. Are the Waltham League teams prioritising Middlesex Cup games above the LFA matches?

Oh, and your opponents Albion Manor keep grinding out 1-0 wins. Lapton won "only" 9-1 this weekend. Ever since I dared to suggest their best days are behind them, they have been steam rolling their opposition (I wonder if they have a member on this board! Wink). Lapton's (updated) results this season: 9-2, 11-1, 3-0, 11-2, 9-1. They have scored
43 goals in their first 5 games of the season!

(This post was edited by stevegraze on Nov 2, 2011, 6:25 PM)

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Nov 2, 2011, 7:34 PM

Post #332 of 753 (28178 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stevegraze] LFA Sunday Challenge Cup - 1st Round Results [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Steve, Baldon have dropped out of the Met League completely now. (See here). They just have two teams in the Orpington & Bromley and one in the LKB.

You are right regarding the Waltham Sunday League having a tough time of it in County Cup competitions so far this season, although it's only in the top two divisions that we have been suffering. (That's the London, Middlesex, Essex & Hertfordshire Senior or Intermediate Cups).
In the bottom three divisions though, virtually every team has got through the first two rounds, albeit in Junior Cup/Trophy competitions for those four counties. This is where our League is a lot stronger than others. Very good strength in depth.

What's happened in the top two divisions is that a lot of our best teams who are Hertfordshire F.A. affiliated (e.g. Cheshunt Corinthians, East Herts, I.M.L., Cuffley, Asco & Turnford Geese) were unfortunate enough to get drawn against pretty much the best teams from other Leagues in the first two rounds and subsequently got knocked out. For example, Cheshunt Corinthians losing 4-0 at Home to Comets Sports Club, who must be the best Sunday side in Hertfordshire at the moment I would have thought. Cheshunt Corinthians are nowhere near the side they were when we played them in this match though ! Billy Wingrove, Andy Porter and Michael Deane don't seem to play for them any more.
Upshire are still in the Essex Premier Cup and Enfield Rangers & Percival are still in the Middlesex Premier Cup, while Lea Valley Royals beat AFC Cheshunt (from our League) to remain in the Herts Senior Cup, so it's not all doom and gloom. Continental have been struggling lately and losing to Hatcham is not a major suprise.

In the Sunday Intermediate Cups, we still have Flamstead End, FC Rosemill and a host of Division Two clubs involved in the Herts competition, while St. Mary's are still in the Middlesex Intermediate Cup.
With Enfield Crusaders losing 2-1 to Yalova in the First Round though, my team are the League's only remaining representatives in the London F.A. Sunday Intermediate Cup and we are obviously going to have our work cut out to get past Albion Manor on the 13th November. I see they are currently top of the Hackney & Leton S.L. Premier Division...above Lapton ! Shocked
We drew 2-2 with Enfield Crusaders on Sunday though...here's the highlights, so hopefully that shows we are not too far off if they only lost 2-1 to Yalova.

It's a shame that Hop Poles and FC Alpha from our League choose not to enter the London F.A. Sunday Challenge or Intermediate Cups. They are both very good sides.

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 2, 2011, 8:03 PM

Post #333 of 753 (28170 views)
Shortcut
Albion Manor [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hughesvideo, thanks for that info re the Waltham League teams (and for the vids). Which County Cups do you think have the best teams/are the highest standard: LFA, Herts or Middx?

*Don't worry too much about Albion Manor being top of the table (above Lapton). They are above Lapton because they haven't played them yet! ...or any of the other top teams (and Lapton have 2 games in hand). Albion Manor have played only 2 teams in the top 7 (and they lost both of those games!). Last week they managed only a narrow 5-4 win against a team that hasn't won a game all season. The current table gives a misleading impression of Albion Manor's strength. I will be surprised if they finish in the top 4 this year.

*I forgot to say that Fulham Utd v New Salamis might be one of the ties of the (Challenge Cup 2nd) round. These teams played each other in last year's Challenge Cup with Salamis scraping through 3-2. Fulham Utd are currently top of the Sportsmans League, with a 100% record, one place above the team Salamis narrowly beat in last year's final - Pearscroft Utd (who played with 10 men for most of the game and lost to a last minute winner). Like I said before, I don't think they can retain the cup this year, as there are too many good teams/tough games in it this year.

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Nov 3, 2011, 7:28 PM

Post #334 of 753 (28134 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stevegraze] Albion Manor [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Hughesvideo, thanks for that info re the Waltham League teams (and for the vids). Which County Cups do you think have the best teams/are the highest standard: LFA, Herts or Middx?

It's impossible to say really, because my team only play in the London Cups. Although I have filmed several Essex, Herts and Middlesex Sunday County Cup Finals over the years, I can't tell from the actual Final itself because any team that gets that far is going to be good. However, as has been said before in this thread, not all London F.A.-affiliated Sunday teams enter their County Cups, whereas it is mandatory if you are Essex, Herts or Middlesex affiliated. But...there are more Sunday teams in London than those three counties, so that probably evens things out in terms of quality at the moment. If every London-affiliated Sunday club had to enter, then the standard of the London F.A. Sunday Cups would be higher than Essex, Middlesex or Hertfordshire's equivalent competitions I would guess.

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 7, 2011, 3:34 PM

Post #335 of 753 (28045 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HughesVideo] Albion Manor [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Fair point. LFA has great strength in depth/numbers it seems. That said, I do wonder why London teams rarely do well in the FA Sunday National Cup.

Good news for you. Remember when I told you that Albion Manor were top only bc they had not yet played Lapton? Well they played Lapton yesterday and lost 1-4. I think that result is a more accurate indicator of their ability than their previous wins against teams at the bottom of the table. As they start to play other teams in the top half of the table, I think they will slide down the table. It will be a very close game between Edmonton Rovers and them next week.

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 15, 2011, 5:16 PM

Post #336 of 753 (27658 views)
Shortcut
LFA Sunday Intermediate Cup - 2nd Round Results [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hughesvideo, looks like I was right in predicting a close game between Edmonton Rovers and Albion Manor. Hard luck in losing narrowly 0-1. Do you have a match report? I hope you will also post video highlights of the game.

Lapton won "only" 7-0 in their 2nd round game against Bullers of the Orpington and Bromley League (Baldon's league). Lapton's (updated) results this season: 9-2, 11-1, 3-0, 11-2, 9-1, 4-1, 7-0. They have scored 52 goals in their first 7 games of the season! Lapton will face a much tougher test in the next round against Hendon Utd Sports who are currently top of the Maccabi Jewish League. Hendon have a number of players that play semi-pro on Saturdays in the Spartan South Midlands League. That said, Hendon scraped through 4-2 AET in their 2nd round game against Middlesbrough Supporters after being 0-2 down after 70 mins. Hendon scored a last minute equaliser to take the tie to extra-time, finally winning 4-2 AET. In fairness, their opponents were down to 10 men after 25 mins (due to injury), and played the remaining 95 mins with 10 men! (they had a bare 11 and no subs). Shocked

Edmonton Rovers 0 v 1 Albion Manor
Golden Eagles 1 v 0 Southgate Harmen
Charlton United v Hatcham (Reserves)
Real Northern v Faithfold
Danson Albion 2 v 4 Sabanoh
Hendon Utd Sports 4 v 2 Middlesbrough Supporters
Westminster Wanderers 4 aet v 1 Station
ADF Machio 1 v 4 Norton
Convoys 3 v 2 Pekunspor
Yalova 2 v 1 KS Apolonia
Phoenix 6 v 1 Turkmenkoy Aydin Spor
Antalyaspor 1 v 3 Sporting Santos
Athletico Annies 2 v 3 Koture
Lapton 7 v 0 Bullers
Apoel 4 v 1 Lsportc
Bari 2 v 3 Caribb Club

My money is still on Yalova to win the trophy.

(This post was edited by stevegraze on Nov 15, 2011, 7:14 PM)

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Nov 15, 2011, 5:45 PM

Post #337 of 753 (27652 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stevegraze] LFA Sunday Intermediate Cup - 2nd Round Results [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Hughesvideo, looks like I was right in predicting a close game between Edmonton Rovers and Albion Manor. Hard luck in losing narrowly 0-1. Do you have a match report? I hope you will also post video highlights of the game.

Highlights and a match facts PDF will be online tomorrow (Wednesday morning). I'll post the links on here when they are done.
It was a close scoreline but not a close game, although we should have had a penalty and also had a 'goal' disallowed at the end of the First Half when the ball had apparently crossed the line. We fielded a weak side and Albion Manor missed a load of chances. It's frustrating because they were nowhere near as good as Charlton United (who knocked us out last season) and if our best player (Terry Moore) had not been playing golf and our Captain (Danny Hagan) had been sober, that would have made a big difference. We had a load of others missing/not fit/turning up late and having to go sub. Our players just don't treat the London Cup matches as seriously as I do. They probably don't fancy the travelling to South London if we progress. That's always been the case with us.

In my opinion, there are four real quality sides left in the competition...Yalova, Lapton, Charlton United & Phoenix. I think one of those four will go on to win it, but teams such as Golden Eagles, Sporting Santos, Convoys, Hendon United Sports and Apoel could well reach the Final, plus the winner of Koture and Albion Manor in the next round.

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Nov 16, 2011, 11:10 AM

Post #338 of 753 (27603 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HughesVideo] LFA Sunday Intermediate Cup - 2nd Round Results [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Edmonton Rovers v. Albion Manor (London F.A. Sunday Intermediate Cup Second Round) highlights now online here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80bo1rANPqg
Match Facts/team line-ups can be viewed here: http://www.edmontonrovers.co.uk/albionmanor13.11.11.pdf

Albion Manor's Captain (Matt Harris) currently plays for Grays Athletic and their No.4 (Freddy Tandon) used to play for Grays in their Conference days. Their players were telling ours afterwards that they had three others who play in the Ryman League on Saturdays, but I don't know who they were. Their goalscorer (No.10) was a decent player who could probably play at that level.

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 16, 2011, 3:55 PM

Post #339 of 753 (27584 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HughesVideo] LFA Sunday Intermediate Cup - 2nd Round Results [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hughesvideo, thanks for those detailed match highlights and report. You run an extremely well organised club. Given how well you run your club I'm surprised that: (a) your players don't take LFA matches more seriously; and (b) you don't have dozens of excellent players banging at your door asking to join your team.

Looking at their line-up, Albion were missing some key players: Luke Rowland and Darren Whelan have been their star players/top scorers for the past few seasons. They were also missing their giant center half (don't know his name) who must be about 6ft 4in tall. Their GK Steve Armstrong is a veteran who left the club and returned. When he was younger he was an excellent GK and played for one of the Hackney and Leyton League's top sides back in the 1980s. Overall, I thought the first half was more even, but Albion got more confident after they scored and might be disappointed they didn't score more than one goal. To be fair to the ref, it was hard for him to see whether the first half clearance off the line was over the line.

Albion have really weakened over the past few seasons though. They were untouchable in the year or two before/after they won the Intermediate Cup. During that run they beat Aris who were undisputably the best Sunday team in London (they handed Aris their first LFA defeat in 4 years), Lapton (back when no one could beat Lapton!) and Yavruvatan. I doubt they will go far in this year's Intermediate Cup though.

Overall, I agree with you about the favourites (I think the Cup is Yalova's to lose). My fear for Lapton is what will happen when they get drawn away. Like your team, some of their players won't fancy long trips to far flung corners of London. I'm not sure they play their strongest team in the LFA matches. I don't understand some players. I would think that an LFA game against "mystery" opponents from other leagues would be a bonus for a Sunday league player.

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Nov 16, 2011, 5:10 PM

Post #340 of 753 (27564 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stevegraze] LFA Sunday Intermediate Cup - 2nd Round Results [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Hughesvideo, thanks for those detailed match highlights and report. You run an extremely well organised club. Given how well you run your club I'm surprised that: (a) your players don't take LFA matches more seriously; and (b) you don't have dozens of excellent players banging at your door asking to join your team.

Regarding (a), it doesn't matter who the opponents are or what the competition is. If players are attending a social function the night before where all their mates (who don't play Sunday morning football) are getting 'hammered', then they will join in and get 'paralytic' regardless. Our Captain's attitude was that at least he still turned up and started the match. Most players who like a Saturday night out with team-mates from their Saturday side would have just said they are not available for the following morning's match and in most cases they just give up playing Sunday football altogether, so I can see his point of view. The problem is the standard we are playing at nowadays. Back in the 90's we were only in Division Five of our League. We had players playing back then who were just as drunk but they could get away with it at that level.

Regarding (b), I must admit it really bugs me that we don't have that. What we get instead (because of the videos and the club website) is players who think we are the local semi-pro club from Saturday football who are going to pay them and turn them into a 'superstar' (see here for numerous examples !), or we get players who have only ever had a kickabout over the park before and don't realise how good the standard is. Invariably they just want to see themselves on video and in some cases use it to 'enhance their profile' for whatever job it is they do. We are most definitely looking for ex-Semi-Pro players in their mid/late-20's who want to concentrate solely on Sunday football and be able to attend our Wednesday night training sessions, but we just can't find any. All other teams in the top two divisions of our League have those sort of players but we don't. It could be because we don't have a clubhouse/pub as a base and because we have not won anything at 11-a-side for 23 years (or reached a Cup Final for 25 years), but that's a poor excuse and you would think the club being well-run and our longevity would make up for that ?

By the way, I have just had an e-mail from Marc Dolby from Baldon Sports. He has recently started a 'Grass Roots Monthly' magazine which features all the London F.A. Sunday Cup competitions. Issue One has been out for a while and Issue Two is on it's way. Has anybody seen a copy of Issue One ?

(This post was edited by HughesVideo on Nov 16, 2011, 5:11 PM)

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 16, 2011, 6:23 PM

Post #341 of 753 (27549 views)
Shortcut

Nope, this is the first I have heard of the magazine. Sounds brilliant. Sunday football really needs something like that. Any idea how/where one can get a copy of the mag?

If Marc is looking for material for the mag, he has 14 pages of great research and stats from this thread!

I'm disappointed to hear about the issues you have with (lack of) player commitment. At Prem, Div 1 and even Div 2 level in your (Waltham) league and other strong Sunday leagues, the play is VERY committed and not at all a "kickabout". Teams are organised, fast, fit and take their football very seriously. I have often seen teams cruise through lower divisions unbeaten then get utterly hammered when they get promoted to the Prem. It says a lot for the standard of play when a team (Albion Manor) featuring players from the Conference and Isthmian leagues is no more than an average mid-table team in its own league and not considered among the favourites for the Intermediate Cup.

I can't explain the issues you have with players. I thought any skilled amateur footballer (and there are loads in London) would jump at the chance to play football in an organised team, stay fit, make new friends, socialise, play on different pithes in London and get filmed while doing it!

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 16, 2011, 7:06 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #342 of 753 (27543 views)
Shortcut

I've not heard of this magazine either but it certainly sounds very interesting.

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Nov 16, 2011, 7:08 PM

Post #343 of 753 (27543 views)
Shortcut

Steve, we don't actually sign those sort of players up. What happens is that we try them out in a Summer 7-a-side League or look at them in training first.
The players who played against Albion Manor on Sunday are all good players ability-wise, they are all loyal and they all play to the Manager's instructions...more-or-less ! Wink. It's just that far too many of them are badly unfit and they don't do anything about it. It's alright having training but they eat and drink too much. That's were we can't compete, because no other team in in the top two divisions have players like that. Other teams' players are all super-fit, often younger and have recently come from pro club academies or semi-pro football. Some of our players played at that level many years ago but have not kept themselves fit enough...with the exception of Terry Moore (ex-Raynes Park Vale...Combined Counties League). Unfortuntely he is 38 now.

Regarding that Grass Roots Mag, Marc says he will register on here and post a message on this thread.

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 16, 2011, 7:29 PM

Post #344 of 753 (27537 views)
Shortcut

Great work. I'm very interested in Marc's mag. I hope it becomes a great success and showcases Sunday football. It might just be the kick-start to give Sunday football much overdue respect. I'm sure Marc will be flattered when he reads the posts on this thread about his team. Let's hope he doesn't take issue with my match reports and comments about his team's enthusiastic tackling! Angelic

The main difference between players at Prem/Div 1 level and those in lower league is not necessarily ability, but often fitness and dedication. You often see beer bellies in lower divisions, but Prem players are typically in very good physical shape. So often I see Prem teams score late goals to equalise or win cup ties against lower division teams. The difference is that the Prem players are so fit and fast that they simply wear their lower Div opponents down with incessant running over 90 minutes. They score lots of late goals bc quite frankly - the other team are knackered and can't keep up with the intensity of their running (Lapton and Baldon come to mind).

Not telling you how to run your team, but have to tried other "tricks" to increase your players fitness - e.g. extending the length of pre-season or entering them in a 5 or 7 a side league. I find that the extra game per week can add to match sharpness and fitness.

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Nov 16, 2011, 7:52 PM

Post #345 of 753 (27530 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Not telling you how to run your team, but have to tried other "tricks" to increase your players fitness - e.g. extending the length of pre-season or entering them in a 5 or 7 a side league. I find that the extra game per week can add to match sharpness and fitness.

They need to go on a diet, Steve. As simple as that.
Anybody who is regularly turning up to training, playing every Sunday and also playing 5-a-side with their work teams once or even twice a week (including throughout the Summer) as our players do should not be as unfit and overweight as they are.

I would imagine that even right down to Step 7 level on Saturdays, all clubs will use dieticians to advise their players. We don't have that, and even if we did, half our players would ignore it. A lot of them are in jobs that involve 'entertaining clients', i.e. eating and drinking heavily during three-hour 'brokers lunches'...that sort of thing. That's more important than keeping fit to play Sunday League football if it helps pay the bills. Sly

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 21, 2011, 3:07 PM

Post #346 of 753 (27339 views)
Shortcut
FA National Sunday Cup - 2nd Round Results [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A good day for the London teams in the FA's national Sunday Cup. Aris, New Salamis, Hazlehurst and Sungate all got through. Very surprised by the elimination of Greengate (Essex Sunday Corinthian League) whom I tipped to do well in this cup and the LFA Challenge Cup. Results of matches involving London teams are below (London teams in bold).

AFC Donsville 1 -v- Hazlehurst 1 - AET (Hazlehurst won 5-4 on penalties)
Gym United 0 -v- FC Tripimeni 3
Sungate 4 -v- Torrun United 3
FC Nirankari 0 -v- New Salamis 5
Wrightchoice CSA 2 -v- The Lounge 0
Greengate 1 -v- Elm Farm 2

All the surviving London teams are at home in the 3rd round draw:

New Salamis v Lea Hall Sports & Social
FC Tripimeni v Falcons
Sungate v Northampton Duke Of York
Hazelhurst v Dee Road Rangers

All of them have VERY tough matches. Tripimeni (Aris) are playing a team that thrashed another London team 12-0 in the first round. Sungate face a very good Northampton Duke of York team that got to the semi-finals last year (and beat The Lounge on the way there). The only team I feel quietly confident about are Hazlehurst. Even New Salamis will have to be at their best to get past their visitors from Birmingham.

(This post was edited by stevegraze on Nov 21, 2011, 8:08 PM)

Yorks Amateur
First Team Sub

Nov 21, 2011, 6:48 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #347 of 753 (27323 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stevegraze] FA National Sunday Cup - 2nd Round Results [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

FC Tripimeni v Falcons

All of them have VERY tough matches. Tripimeni (Aris) are playing a team that thrashed another London team 12-0 in the first round. Sungate face a very difficult Northampton Duke of York team that got to the quarter-finals last year (and beat The Lounge on the way there). The only team I feel quietly confident about are Hazlehurst. Even New Salamis will have to be at their best to get past their visitors from Birmingham.

Falcons beat London Maccabi Lions 12-1 and the Lions were a very depleted side, as confirmed in the following report:

'With joint managers Josh and Malcolm Newman unavailable and a number of regular players missing, the Maccabi Lions decided to forfeit the tie and withdrew from the competition.However, when a replacement management duo were found, the club had a change of heart and decided to honour their commitment to the Sunday Cup and the game went ahead.With only four first teamers at their disposal, the Lions drafted in four 17 year olds and four veterans (who had a combined age of 201) so, perhaps the result did not come as a surprise!'

I don't mean to say that Falcons are a poor side but they clearly beat a makeshift Lions team. Duke of York actually reached the semi finals, where they lost to eventual winners Oyster Martyrs. I saw Duke of York win 2-1 in Liverpool in the quarter final and they also beat Tripimeni in the 3rd round, so Sungate are in for a tough game.

Isaac

Nov 21, 2011, 7:38 PM

Post #348 of 753 (27314 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yorks Amateur] FA National Sunday Cup - 2nd Round Results [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was at that semi final and Northampton DOY looked a very good side, the 3-0 scoreline was rather flattering to Oyster Martyrs with two goals in the closing stages.

Isaac

Nov 22, 2011, 11:44 AM

Post #349 of 753 (27281 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stevegraze] FA National Sunday Cup - 2nd Round Results [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

FC Tripimeni v Falcons

All of them have VERY tough matches. Tripimeni (Aris) are playing a team that thrashed another London team 12-0 in the first round. Sungate face a very good Northampton Duke of York team that got to the semi-finals last year (and beat The Lounge on the way there). The only team I feel quietly confident about are Hazlehurst. Even New Salamis will have to be at their best to get past their visitors from Birmingham.

Barnes Albion are another London area club, they have a home draw against Wrightchoice CSA.

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 22, 2011, 6:12 PM

Post #350 of 753 (27237 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] FA National Sunday Cup - 2nd Round Results [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yorks Amateur and Isaac, thanks for the follow up. Isaac - I didn't "count" Barnes Albion as they play in a Middlesex league and enter Middlesex County cups (not LFA cups). I am very interested to see how New Salamis get on, and of course Hazlehurst got to the semis a couple of years ago. I fear it might be curtains for Sungate and possibly Tripimeni too. Even though New Salamis won 5-0 in the second round, they had a rocky start. They were under serious pressure in the first 15-20 minutes and had to thank their GK for keeping them in the game after saving a 16th minute penalty.

Who do you think are the favourites to win the cup? Can anyone stop Hetton Lyons? (aka Spennymoor FC and Shildon FC from the Northern League)

Also, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on why London teams don't tend to do too well in the FA National Sunday cup.

First page Previous page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 31 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3