Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: All Other Football Interests: All other football:
Sports presenters mistakes

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 45 Next page Last page  View All

cope1
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 8, 2011, 4:16 PM

Post #151 of 1107 (45056 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My sister once got as far as the M4/M25 junction and, figuring the M25 is just a big roundabout, turned south. She got as far as Dartford before deciding that she shouldn't need to pay 1 for anything so she must have gone wrong, turned around and drove 3/4 of the way back around the M25 to the A1081. Unfortunately she took the St Albans A1081 turning and ended up stopping at a cab office in St Albans where one of the nice cabbies drove back to the M25 with her following, instructing her to take the next exit to get to Barnet.

She also drove to a wedding in Bristol once and, on getting lost, just pulled up on the hard shoulder and waited for inspiration. It came soon afterwards in the form of a very chivalrous gent who, it so happened, was going to the same wedding who parked his own car, got into my sister's car and directed her to the venue before walking back to collect his own motor!!

She also found her way to university on her bike once by following a chap who "looked like a student". Bit of a pain that he stopped to buy fags - and then smoked one while she waited surreptitiously round the corner - but her instincts were correct and he led her to the campus. Not sure how she got home again mind...

eesti7
First Team Sub

Dec 8, 2011, 7:48 PM

Team(s): Gillingham, Tonbridge

Post #152 of 1107 (45039 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

One holiday my parents drove from Alassio in Italy to Cannes in Southern France to watch them play Monaco. We had no idea where the stadium was so followed a car which had some people wearing colours inside. We followed them out into the suburbs, waited for ages while they popped into someone's apartment before emerging with another fan and then tailed them for another two pick-ups before we reached the ground just minutes before kick-off!

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 12, 2011, 12:28 AM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #153 of 1107 (44980 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eesti7] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Sky girlie said the other night that Rangers were thinking of appealing Sone Aluko's driving ban Crazy

buncranaboy

Dec 13, 2011, 11:02 PM

Post #154 of 1107 (44924 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

And yet another tonight from 5 Live's reporter at the FA Cup-tie between Grimsby and Salisbury who informed us that the non-league team were getting the upper hand Crazy

Red Adder
Youth Team Star

Dec 18, 2011, 4:50 PM

Post #155 of 1107 (44802 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Martin Keown showing he knows the rules at the Pompey-Soton game.

Keeer jumps to catch a high ball, attacker jumps in and takes his feet from under him, keeper lands on chin (without ball) and ref gives free-kick to keeper. Keown is aghast at decision. When has it ever been lawful to charge a keeper whose in the air. Surely a pundit should have some knowledge of the laws of the game.

cope1

Dec 18, 2011, 10:22 PM

Post #156 of 1107 (44779 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Red Adder] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ha ha - I saw that challenge and couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, even though it didn't look right! Obviously looking too hard!

The soft challenge on the keeper is always a favourite. I know sometimes it's true that keepers get soft decisions but then again anyone who's played in goal will know how hurt you can get if someone charges into your ribs while your arms are up catching a ball.

Garrincha's dog
First Team Star

Dec 19, 2011, 1:14 PM

Post #157 of 1107 (44721 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I gave up when I heard the commentator declare that the meeting between Portsmouth and the Scummers was their first since 2005.

Oh well it is only their job to know that the sides met in the FA Cup in Feb 2010. Result Scabs 1 Portsmouth 4.

.....and some suggest that the presentation of sport on ITV is pish.

thowdreds
Youth Team Star

Dec 19, 2011, 8:17 PM

Team(s): Accrington Stanley, Blackburn Rovers, BurnleyLeicester City, Halesowen Town

Post #158 of 1107 (44687 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Garrincha's dog] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I liked the comment that it was Doncaster's first win against Leicester at The Keepmoat since 1955.

cope1

Dec 19, 2011, 8:48 PM

Post #159 of 1107 (44683 views)
Shortcut
Re: [thowdreds] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have to say it doesn't bother me so much that presenters get things wrong, more that people who profess to know it all use what is said to add to their 'knowledge' base. I have a friend who is a massive football fan and, to my mind, makes a big deal about the fact that she knows more than most blokes to about the game. However, she is always referencing incorrect anecdotes to display her knowledge. It drives me up the wall, especially as those who know her fall for it and suggest that I don't like to think a woman knows better than I do!

buncranaboy

Dec 25, 2011, 6:20 PM

Post #160 of 1107 (44464 views)
Shortcut

Nice to see Sky Sports keep up their standards in sports other than football. Last night they kept banging on about the build-up to the second Olympic Games to be staged in London. How difficult it must be to get those little things right........

leohoenig
Administrator

Dec 26, 2011, 8:52 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #161 of 1107 (44403 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

With both London's previous Olympics taking place in years ending in an "8", and long before the creation of sport as we know it, it is easy to be confused.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 18, 2012, 4:28 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #162 of 1107 (44078 views)
Shortcut
Re: Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Praising Shaun Wright Phillips last night in the match between QPR and MKD Clive Tyldesley said, "It must be in his genes" in reference to Ian Wright, his father (adopted).

UKPunk

Jan 18, 2012, 4:31 PM

Post #163 of 1107 (44077 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I didn't know he was adopted. I thought Shaun was the son of one of his mum's previous relationships.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 18, 2012, 4:32 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #164 of 1107 (44076 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I didn't know he was adopted. I thought Shaun was the son of one of his mum's previous relationships.

He was but Ian Wright later adopted him.

KnowYourMarket

Jan 20, 2012, 8:19 PM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #165 of 1107 (44003 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Espn commentator tonight said moenchengladbach was in the east of Germany. Has France, belgium and Netherlands been invaded?

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

(This post was edited by KnowYourMarket on Jan 20, 2012, 8:20 PM)

jrev61

Jan 20, 2012, 10:45 PM

Team(s): None

Post #166 of 1107 (43987 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Espn commentator tonight said moenchengladbach was in the east of Germany. Has France, belgium and Netherlands been invaded?

I noticed that too, he also pronounced the name of the Bayern coach Heynckes as 'Hikeness'.

jrev61

leohoenig
Administrator

Jan 26, 2012, 11:52 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #167 of 1107 (43844 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not a mistake but certainly incompetent, ITV4 seemed to sign off their African Highlights last night by saying a player was sent off, but they did not know who or why!

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

buncranaboy

Mar 15, 2012, 8:49 PM

Post #168 of 1107 (43199 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Listening to 5 Live last night on the way home from Handsworth as Chelsea went 4-1 up in extra-time, Nigel Spackman urged caution telling us that if Napoli did manage to pull one back, Chelsea would have to score twice more. The away-goals calculation seems to completely flummox these dimwits

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 16, 2012, 4:48 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #169 of 1107 (43144 views)
Shortcut

On the BBC site now....

Champions League Bilbao face Schalke in last eight

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

Red Adder
Youth Team Star

Mar 16, 2012, 4:57 PM

Post #170 of 1107 (43140 views)
Shortcut

I got confused by that one - he seemed to imply the away goals counting in double now applied in extra time - I thought that in Europe they didn't, though in domestic games (eg League Cup and Divisional Play-off semi-finals) they did. Have European rules changed ?.

buncranaboy

Mar 16, 2012, 6:07 PM

Post #171 of 1107 (43129 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Red Adder] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I got confused by that one - he seemed to imply the away goals counting in double now applied in extra time - I thought that in Europe they didn't, though in domestic games (eg League Cup and Divisional Play-off semi-finals) they did. Have European rules changed ?.

Blimey - how difficult is it? At 4-1 on the night and 5-4 on aggregate, if both teams scored one more its 5-2 on the night and 6-5 on aggregate.

Paddy Vorderman Crazy

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 16, 2012, 6:16 PM

Post #172 of 1107 (43125 views)
Shortcut

I bet Des Kelly never did you doggy fashion though...

buncranaboy

Mar 16, 2012, 6:31 PM

Post #173 of 1107 (43122 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I bet Des Kelly never did you doggy fashion though...

Nope. You've got one up on me there. Cool

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 16, 2012, 6:56 PM

Post #174 of 1107 (43119 views)
Shortcut

Des was never one to miss out on a meal back in the day
especially when out of the office....

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 28, 2012, 8:30 AM

Post #175 of 1107 (42963 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Another classic today from the all new BBC site...
I would have thought that the eighteen 18-year-olds would
have learned to Google as part of their research.

MERSEYSIDE DERBIES AT WEMBLEY
1984 League Cup final: Everton 0-0 Liverpool (after extra time)
1984 Charity Shield: Everton 1-0 Liverpool
1986 FA Cup final: Liverpool 3-1 Everton

1986 Charity Shield: Everton 1-1 Liverpool (this one was missed out)

1989 FA Cup final: Liverpool 3-2 Everton (after extra time)

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 45 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3