Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 71 Next page Last page  View All

IAN S
First Team Star

Jan 14, 2012, 6:39 PM

Team(s): Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles, Kendal Town

Post #101 of 1758 (75921 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Workington FC] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Mansfield 17
Rugby Lions 31
National Three Midlands
h/t 0-17
Admission £3 incl. programme

Decided not to bother with football after my two games I had picked out were both postponed and I couldn't find anything within two hours drive apart from re-visits.

So, after probably using more petrol driving around Mansfield, (the shite-hole it is) and getting lost, than going down M1, I finally got to this venue to find, (quote from gateman), their biggest ever crowd for the visit of 100% 'ers Rugby. They will probably still be have that record come the end of the season. 0-0 until some 30 minutes in and not good up to half time. Second half was as good a half of RU as I've seen in a while. Mansfield are a decent side themselves and their gave the visitors a good battering. Class told though and they were outscored by 5 tries to 3 eventually.

Still a good day out when not much else was on.

We'll be, as we are, when all the fools who doubt us fade away.

John Mills
Reserve Team Star

Jan 19, 2012, 9:00 PM

Post #102 of 1758 (75858 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ciderjon] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or

Possibly a late change, I'm not sure, but there is a news item regarding the rearrangement on the home club's website dated today...

Saturday 21st January
British & Irish Cup Quarter-Final
Cross Keys v Llanelli (6.30pm)

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 28, 2012, 10:33 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #103 of 1758 (75729 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Mills] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 28th January 2012
Fleetwood 0 Eccles 22 (HT 0-7)
North Lancs/Cumbria League
Admission £2 (including 20pp programme, excellent for this level of kick and clap)
Attendance 80 (h/c)

Waterlogging meant this tabletopper was switched hastily from Fleetwood's Melbourne Avenue ground to the nearby King George V Playing Fields. Something of a surprise on the pitch, too, as third beat the leaders with some comfort. It was only Fleetwood's second league defeat of the season - the other coming at Eccles!

Pacy Eccles full-back Chris Finch, easily the most impressive player on a very heavy surface, scored the only points of the first half, converting his own well-taken 10th-minute try, touched down in the corner. It made up for Finch somehow screwing wide an early penalty awarded in front of the posts. Scottish referee Grant Denholm angered the home fans with numerous puzzling decisions, and there were suggestions from the home linesman that the stoppage-littered first half lasted just 34 minutes. The quality of rugby in a poor game did not improve after the break. Finch kicked a 53rd-minute penalty before Eccles put the outcome beyond doubt with two tries in the last seven minutes, the second improved by Finch. Fleetwood had a man - unidentifiable in the mud - sent off in the 76th minute for apparent gouging.

Admission at Fleetwood is usually £2.50 (including programme), but was reduced to £2 to compensate for spectators having to walk a quarter of a mile from the Melbourne Avenue club house to the alternative venue.

At the final whistle, it was off down the road, having paused to admire a glorious sunset over the sea, to the SubZero ice rink in neighbouring Cleveleys to watch Solway Sharks beat hosts Fylde Flyers 11-3. More in the ice hockey section.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6778575241/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6778572741/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6778563841/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6778561513/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6778553177/in/photostream

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Jan 28, 2012, 11:34 PM)

Seagull
First Team Star

Jan 30, 2012, 2:51 PM

Post #104 of 1758 (75676 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Played cricket on that ground FL and believe me, it's not much drier in the summer...

Workington FC
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 1, 2012, 7:15 PM

Team(s): Workington Reds, St Ives Roosters RLFC

Post #105 of 1758 (75625 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Seagull] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 28th January 2012
National League 2 North
Loughborough University 57 Caldy 17
Admission - £5.00 with programme
Programme - 36 pages A5 - included with admission
Attendance - approx 300

A very rare Rugby Union game - it was entertaining! Probably the best game I have seen for a very long time. This was down to the Loughborough side who play a great brand of running attacking Rugby Union. Attacking from any part of the field the ball is rarely kicked and Caldy were blown away. Caldy did get a bit frustrated at times which included a bit of niggle which wasn't needed. The referee had a shocker but even worse was to come from a Caldy player right on the final whistle. With only the Boro fullback to beat in a 2 v 1 situation he could have easily flopped over the line to score. Instead he decided to pass which he did - forward. Every week the lack of basic skill amazes me.

The game was overshadowed by a serious neck injury to a Caldy player. Let's hope he makes a swift and speedy full recovery.

The Boro 1st XV play on the main pitch at the front of the University campus. It's very basic open venue. It is not enclosed so anyone can watch without paying if they want to. There is a wooden fence around the pitch with a grass bank down one side. The pitch is also floodlit. There is no hard standing so you may want to bring some boots. Bar facilities are in the Student Union building which is a short stroll away - I didn't see anyone though with pints around the pitch only coffee so it may not have been open.

Some of the Ladies Rugby Union side walk around the pitch selling programmes during the game. £5.00 is charged as it also includes admission. As you can imagine there were quite a few students who didn't have any money with them. The programme is a 32 page shell with a 4 page match specific glossy insert. It's a nice interesting issue as a one off but the insert could have been a bit more upto date with news and the results page updated.

The Rugby Union side is the focus of attention at the University. The location of the current pitch is an ideal location for walk up spectators but I would estimate that 2/3 of the crowd were there to specifically watch the game. After the game I watched the University football team play Coleshill in the Midland Alliance. The attendance there was 14 with some of that attendance possibly club officials. It will be interesting to see the attendances for both clubs at the new stadium.

Interestingly one of the Junior England Rugby Union (possibly under 16's) sides was training on the nearby 4G pitch. Absoultely comical how bad it was.

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Feb 2, 2012, 9:22 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #106 of 1758 (75580 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Workington FC] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A bit of advance notice of a rare midweek game: Lancashire Trophy Wed 22nd Feb 7.30 Trafford Metrovicks v Blackburn.

The ground is at the end of Finney Bank Road, off Glebelands Road in Ashton on Mersey and is walkable from Dane Road Metrolink. I haven't been for over 30 years, and that was to play and watch lacrosse, but I dont think there's any cover.

Workington FC
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 12, 2012, 12:55 PM

Team(s): Workington Reds, St Ives Roosters RLFC

Post #107 of 1758 (75439 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sunday 11th February 2012
The Championship
Bedford 29 - Plymouth 17
Admission - £16.00 - standing
Attendance - 1,400
Programme - £2.50

Well done to Bedford for getting this fixture on. Nothing else was available in the form of outdoor spectator sport for miles around so this was my second visit to Goldington Road this season. As usual at Bedford, the day is more about a social event, with a game of Rugby Union taking place in the background. Likewise as soon as the game kicked off the programme sellars legged it with people still coming into the ground and plenty programmes left.

As usual the low level of skill was on show with some appaling decision making at half back level. Added to the wonderful sight of slow long looping passes. The player has to stretch up in the air to catch it, by which time the opposition player has a wonderful target of the ribs to smash into. I can just imagine the coaching session "Right lads we are going to practice hospital passes again".

Credit to both sides who didn't hold back on a firm looking pitch. Dread to think what the footballers of Daventry Town would have made of it all Wink

The Moose
First Team Star

Feb 12, 2012, 6:05 PM

Team(s):

Post #108 of 1758 (75417 views)
Shortcut

WELSH PREM EGGS: BEDWAS 15 PONTYPRIDD 25

ADM: £10 INC. PROG ATT: h/c 550

Have to say as we left to go over the bridge at 9.30 with the car temp at -4 I thought there was no chance of any sport being on. So when we arrived in Cardiff and it was a balmy +2 I checked the lads laptop and despite the overnight frost we managed to get game on!

So my quest to get the premiership league done this season continues and always an enjoyable experience it is too. Just north of Caerphilly you find the large village/small town of Bedwas built into the Welsh valleys with the rugby club on the main road easy to find. Now the ground to be fair probably isn't the best at this level with around 300 'temporary' looking seats and a couple of other small areas of cover but for the locals it's home. Mind you around half the crowd yes'day were from up the road.

The travelling Ponty army made lots of noise as they sailed into a 22 point lead before Bedwas made a game of it towards the end. I enjoyed the bonding time I had with my lad before we returned back to the big city to pick up the retail therapy merchants! If I'd had more time I would have liked to visit Caerphilly castle but that can wait for another trip. Happy to have got my weekend fix in so decent trip after all in wonderful hilly surroundings.

KRTM Cool

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 18, 2012, 10:31 PM

Post #109 of 1758 (75328 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 18th February 2012
Sandbach 38 Leigh 5 (HT 11-5)
North One West
Admission £3 (including 56pp programme. Glossy, full-colour effort, but with just four game specific pages)
Attendance 200 (h/c)
Tea (in a large foam cup) £1

Routine win (in the end) for the North One West leaders against one of only two sides to beat them in the league this season. Leigh began strongly, but their full-back missed an early penalty in front of the posts, which meant considerable early pressure counted for nothing on the scoreboard. The teams traded an unconverted try, and the Sandbach full-back then kicked two penalties to give his side an 11-5 interval lead. It was all Sandbach in the second half. Some surprisingly attractive (for rugby union) handling movements produced five more tries (just one converted), with speedy wing Jack Leech finishing with four touchdowns to his credit. Leigh deserve praise for keeping the leaders scoreless during the last 15 minutes, when it would have been very easy simply to throw in the towel. Decent game, especially considering the strong wind which blew down the pitch throughout.

By rugby union standards, the set-up at Bradwall Road, on the northern fringe of this well-heeled town, is fairly impressive. Sandbach have a thriving junior section and the site boasts six pitches. The first XV pitch is excellent, though it does slope downhill noticeably from south to north. There is neither cover nor floodlights. Aggregate hardstanding has been laid along the west touchline and at the south end. Spectators are separated from the players by a mixture of metal railings and wooden fencing. A single-storey, red-brick clubhouse on the west side of the site houses a bar, kitchen, dining area, loos and the dressing rooms. Unusually for this level of rugby union, Sandbach have a well-stocked souvenir shop.

This was part one of a tasty North West double, which concluded with a Manchester Phoenix ice hockey match up the road in Altrincham. More in the ice hockey section...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6899133535/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6899128543/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6899126711/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6899122381/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6899107807/in/photostream

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Feb 18, 2012, 11:57 PM)

The Moose
First Team Star

Feb 19, 2012, 11:48 AM

Team(s):

Post #110 of 1758 (75310 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sat 18th: SWALEC CUP - EBBW VALE 16 CARMARTHEN QUINS 6

ADM: £10 PROG: £1.20 ATT: h/c 400

Now at the start of the day I'd intended to stay local and only go to Bath City as the forecast was for prolonged rain. So as lunchtime approached I started to suffer from 'newgrounditis' and the voices told me to head West. As soon as I hit the M4 I thought it wasn't a great idea as you couldn't see a thing due to hefty showers and spray.

All was well with the world though as I crossed the bridge and the sun came out for my trip up the Valleys again for the second week in a row. I think it was CIDERJON of this very parish that once told me to visit Eugene Cross Park and despite them not being on my initial radar as they're outside the Premiership, I'm very glad I've now had the pleasure!

What a fantastic ancient relic this ground is tucked away in a natural bowl shape between the hills. A large 500+ stand on one side and huge old school terrace with barriers running the length of the other side that oozes character of days long gone by when the crowds must've been much bigger. I'm guessing Glamorgan may have played one day cricket on the ground behind one goal and clearly football is also played here currently.

Now if it had been the round ball game yes'day then it would never have started such was the mudbath of a pitch. For the eggchasers though no such qualms although it did mean a kicking game was paramount. With ten minutes to go at 9-6 it was still anyone's game before Vale duly scored a penalty try to cause another cup upset and good luck to them in the quarter finals. Another grand day out in the Principality with yet again the Welsh rugby grounds offering pleasant memories of yesteryear. Bring on the next one!

KRTM Cool

StephenHarris
First Team Sub

Feb 20, 2012, 11:13 AM

Team(s): Leyton Orient, Hastings United, CA Huracan

Post #111 of 1758 (75279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sunday 19 February 2012, 2:00pm: London Scottish 22-29 London Welsh; RU Championship; att: 2,103; Entry £10; programme issued.

My third visit to the Richmond Athletic Grounds this season – and the second for this particular fixture. But double the crowd present today than for either of the previous games, and support for the two clubs seemed to be a fairly even split. The stand (holding about 1,000) was ‘Sold Out in Advance’, although never seemed to get much more than half full, many of the sponsor’s guests seemingly preferring the warmth of the bar to actually watching any of the rugby. To cope with the bigger than usual crowd, an additional outside bar had been set up – but there were long queues at the catering stand and both scotch pies and match programmes sold out.

The match was a bit of a ‘dead rubber’ in that the play-off group fates of both clubs are already sealed – Welsh in the Promotion Group and Scottish in the Relegation Group. But this did not prevent the match from being hard-fought and entertaining. Welsh took the lead with a third minute converted try and went on to lead for most of the game. But Scottish were never far behind and the game ended in rousing fashion with Scottish pushing hard for an equaliser. Enjoyable, if a bit chilly on the rail on the far-side, sufficiently distant from the flippin’ bagpipes Interesting to overhear one old codger telling his mate that he “missed the good old days when this fixture always ended with a punch-up in the beer tent”.

IAN S
First Team Star

Feb 22, 2012, 4:48 PM

Team(s): Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles, Kendal Town

Post #112 of 1758 (75230 views)
Shortcut
Re: [StephenHarris] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Rare chance of a midweek game in National One

Friday 9th March
Macclesfield v Birmingham & Solihull

Taken off Macclesfield website, typical, the only Friday in March I can't make it!

We'll be, as we are, when all the fools who doubt us fade away.

StephenHarris
First Team Sub

Feb 23, 2012, 10:11 AM

Post #113 of 1758 (75188 views)
Shortcut
Re: [IAN S] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wednesday 22 February 2012, 2:00pm: London Welsh 37-14 Doncaster Knights; RU Championship; att: 365; Entry £15; programme issued.

I’m grateful to The Wall for alerting me to this fixture, set up at very short notice. Midweek because the original fixture fell to the snow on 4 February, afternoon because there are no floodlights at Old Deer Park, and short notice because the main season part of the Championship is due to finish this weekend, before we move into the play-off phase.

Old Deer Park is a pleasant sports ground adjacent to Kew Gardens, comprising of a cricket field, bowls greens and a couple of rugby fields, and dominated by a very large pavilion/dressing rooms/bar block. It is overlooked by the Kew Gardens Pagoda. The main pitch has a single stand running the length of its west side, slightly raised and with seven rows of blue plastic seats – some of the former wooden bench seats are still present at the back. In front of this is a little, two-step, terraced paddock. A new development this season is two blocks of uncovered, temporary-looking, scaffold terracing on the east side. Otherwise the pitch is railed, with grass to stand on. None of the pitch-side catering, bars and hospitality marquees were in operation for this game.

Given the circumstances, a crowd of 365 was not bad at all, albeit nearly 1,000 down on average. It might have been 364, but we’ll brush quickly over The Wall’s ‘wrong ground’ problems. The game was enjoyable, with Welsh dominant, particularly in the second half. Flying winger Joe Ajuwa was particularly impressive and deservedly scored the last try of the game, Welsh’s fifth. Doncaster were a little disappointing, but this result leaves Welsh in good form going into the play-offs.

Hot (but rather expensive) food was available in the clubhouse. An 88 page, full-colour, match programme sold for £2:50 on entry – the 4 Feb issue, updated with a teamsheet. This publication is very advert-heavy though and overall does not have a great deal of reading.

The Wall
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 23, 2012, 7:41 PM

Post #114 of 1758 (75155 views)
Shortcut
Re: [StephenHarris] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Wednesday 22 February 2012, 2:00pm: London Welsh 37-14 Doncaster Knights; RU Championship; att: 365; Entry £15; £10 for Seniors. programme issued.

Given the circumstances, a crowd of 365 was not bad at all, albeit nearly 1,000 down on average. It might have been 364, but we’ll brush quickly over The Wall’s ‘wrong ground’ problems.

Wrong Ground ! everyone knows I will not speak Welsh, still the Richmond Athletic Ground, who share with London Scottish, is only a 5 minute walk away, so No Harm Done. In fact I probably saved some Money as well, without your warning would undoubtedly have also had the £6.50 Chilli ! Choice of Fullers or Brains, but having already had two £4 Pints in the Centre didn't bother the scorer.

StephenHarris
First Team Sub

Feb 27, 2012, 10:19 AM

Post #115 of 1758 (75013 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Wall] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sunday 26 February 2012, 2:00pm: Sidcup 11-12 Westcombe Park; Kent Cup Quarter Final; att: 170 h/c; Entry £2; programme issued.

I’m not usually this prolific a rugby watcher, but on a lovely spring day, Sunday rugby union in South London proved tempting. Both these clubs had played first team home league games the previous day, and in Sidcup’s case at least the line-up showed many changes from the previous day’s. Apparently the Kent Cup is always good for a few Sunday fixtures.

The Sidcup Sports Ground (aka Crescent Farm) is quite a large expanse, with four rugby pitches, overlapping with two cricket fields and alongside several tennis courts and a gym. At the centre is a large block of bars and function rooms. The main rugby pitch is railed along the east side, with a small, centrally-placed stand. This provides five rows of wooden bench seats, some of which are guano-free. The north end and west side were roped-off for this game, and there are also a couple of park benches at the north end beside the scoreboard.

An entertaining and hard-fought match, where there was never much between the teams. Sidcup scored the only try of the game, but Westcombe were more accurate with their kicking and go through to the semi-final (hopefully to be played at home on a Sunday!).

The club apologised that all hot food had been eaten up during and after junior, morning games, but baguettes were available in the bar. Entry was by bucket collection and included a match programme. Twelve pages of match-specific editorial in an eight page shell.

Ostrich
First Team Sub

Mar 3, 2012, 6:57 PM

Post #116 of 1758 (74878 views)
Shortcut

Life can be oh so hard, sometimes. Last Saturday, with an injury list as long as your arm, you take on the runaway league leaders. Well, runaway in the sense that only the second place team could possibly realistically overhaul them. It’s an away fixture. And you get hammered. Absolutely blatted! 100 - 3 ….. Crazy

You then have one week to pick yourselves up and dust yourselves down before this Saturday’s match.

Which is against the second place team …… away …… Unimpressed

3rd March 2012 - 3.00pm
Midlands 1 West
Bournville RFC 80 Ludlow RFC 5
No admission, programme £3 (28pp, 8pp middle insert, rest mainly adverts)
Attendance – many coming and going, but h/c 85 at half-time.

The bizarre part of today’s “double” for the Ostrich was that in the morning, I was watching soccer at Rowheath, which until the season before last, had been Bournville’s home for over 100 years. However, they couldn’t get permission to develop the ground as they wanted (on the Cadbury’s Estate), and so they decided to decamp to Bournbrook where they have the use of part of Birmingham University’s sports facilities.

Entrance is off the Bristol Road, and at the end of a complex which features two astro-turf hockey pitches and a football cage. I watched a bit of the hockey but didn’t really understand it, there seemed to be a lot of whistle-blowing and fouling going on. I did manage to see one goal when a team in white forced the ball past someone dressed up as Darth Vader in front of the net. Weird game! I then watched a bit of the cage football, which, as far as I could deduce, was a 6-side tournament between four Vietnamese / Chinese teams. The most noticeable feature was the exuberant, shrieking, pitch invasions and celebrations by multitudes of WAGs and followers (between 50 and 100 on the sidelines, I reckon) every time a goal was scored! The only thing missing was fire-crackers or a Chinese dragon. And at the end of the hockey games, they turned on pitch sprinklers which jetted water across all and sundry …… it was all a bit surreal.

No real facilities for the rugby, but a beautiful playing surface, a railed pitch, a large grassy bank giving a good view for spectators, and a mobile coffee-bar, but I baulked at paying £2.50 for a large mexicano or whatever it was they were selling.

Bromsgrove opened the match with intent, and Ludlow just managed to stop them on their own goal-line in the first minute! Following serious pressure, Ludlow managed to scramble the ball upfield, only to have a pass intercepted and promptly run into the left-hand corner by Bournville 10 for their opening try. That rather set the pattern, and Bournville ran in 7 first half tries, the pick of which was a high kick downfield by B.14 who caught the ball and without breaking stride, cleared the defence and scored under the posts. A gusty wind didn’t help B.10’s conversion attempts, and only two first half kicks were successful. Ludlow, however, did have one moment of glory when one of their props neatly sold a defender a dummy worthy of a winger, and with a flourish went airborne and dived (belly-flopped) over the line for a try! But that was a good as it got for the away side.

Ludlow actually started the second half well, encamping in Bournville’s half, and it wasn’t until the 46th minute that Bournville got over the half-way line, but after that, normal service was resumed. A further 7 home tries were scored without reply, including one where a desperate high kick out of the Ludlow defence was caught by the wind and reversed direction, giving B.10 an easy catch and simple stride over the line, and the final try involved a kick forward and a lucky ricochet off a hapless defender giving the kicker, running on, a simple catch and score.

I’ve now re-completed seeing all the teams in the Midland 1 West division, so one of this season’s targets duly accomplished!

The Moose
First Team Star

Mar 4, 2012, 9:58 PM

Team(s):

Post #117 of 1758 (74816 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ostrich] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sat 3rd: Welsh Premiership - LLANDOVERY 10 CROSSKEYS 15

ADM: £11 PROG: £1 ATT: h/c 275

So the pursuit of all things Welsh eggs related continued with a trip across the Brecon Beacons into the wild west out the other side of civilization. This neck of the woods is about as far as you'll get away from the city slickers of Cardiff and Swansea!

I hadn't expected great things so it was a nice surprise to find the ground fully covered on both sides. Four areas of terrace and a decent main stand was more than adequate for the small crowd on a wet and windy afternoon. Set in the only flat piece of land surrounded by hills and valleys the home of the Drovers was well worth a visit.

As for the game well the home side appear to be having their best season ever with many a decent result against more illustrious opposition. I wasn't expecting then for the visitors to spring a shock which was well received by the traveling hordes of 80 or so! Part one of a weekend in the valleys duly completed.

KRTM Cool

Seagull
First Team Star

Mar 5, 2012, 11:38 AM

Post #118 of 1758 (74783 views)
Shortcut

Sat 3rd March - Yorkshire 1 (level 7)
North Ribblesdale 8 Pocklington 37
Att: 140 (h/c)
Admission: £4 incl prog (only 2 match specific pages though!)

Sometimes you go to a place and you instantly warm to it and the home of the "Mighty Ribbs" in Settle is definately one of those that falls into that catagory.

The ground is towards the Southern edge of this Dales town, which although not the prettiest in some respects certainly doesn't go short facility wise and is a bit of a mecca for walkers and outdoors enthusiasts. The ground is pretty much enclose and although you can get a reasonable view from the road immediatley outside very few bothered and almost all were happy to "pay in".

The ground is dominated by a large two tier clubhouse complex at the Northern end, with an upstairs bar and covered balcony (the club shop table is in there too). The view from the balcony is good but it did get ridiculously cramped up there so I moved onto the side where the small cover is (maybe 50 at a push) and stood at the top of the slope which backs on to neighbouring houses and alleyways, with much stone walling in evidence. Proper Yorkshire!

The view of the game from here is good and the views of the nearby hills mighty impressive on a clear day (as Saturday was).

The game after a close opening quarter, was rather one sided, with a much bigger, skilled and fitter visiting side eventually running in 5 tries to the home sides one late consolation. "Pock" are not top of the league for nothing and North Ribb, for all their efforts, really struggled to compete in almost all areas. There was a rousing cheer though when their centre scored late on, even though the game was long over as a contest.

I have to say that the standard at this level is much better in the Yorkshire Divisions than it is in Lancs and Cumbria and so far, from what I've seen, much better supported and with better facilities.

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 10, 2012, 6:09 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #119 of 1758 (74660 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Seagull] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

SRU - RBS West Division 1

Marr Rugby 26-0 Glasgow Academicals
Fullarton, Troon

Admission - by programme £2
Attendance - 400

This turned out to be the match which determined both the league championship and promotion (West 1 is the fifth level of the Scottish rugby pyramid) yet 8 days ago no one would have believed it possible.

Before last weekend's penultimate round of league matches everything appeared to be done and dusted with Glasgow High/Kelvinside rampaging through the league with a 100% record ...and then they were held to a shock draw by mid-table East Kilbride, leaving the top of the table like this:

Marr 17-15-0-2 71pts (inc 11 bonus poins) +345 points difference
Glasgow High/Kelvinside 17-16-1-0 71 pts (incl 5 bonus points) +247 points difference

Astonishingly, GHK who had won all their matches bar one drawn match, and had beaten Marr home and away, were in second place as a result of their inability to pick up bonus points (for scoring 4 tries in a match) and this in turn was reflected in their far inferior points difference to Marr's.

Glasgow Academicals Football Club (the former pupil club of the private school Glasgow Academy), founded in 1866, is one of the oldest football clubs of any code in the world and has supplied many Scottish internationals during its existence. In 1997 after a decline in fortunes it was decided that the first XV would merge with Glasgow High/Kelvinside's first XV (itself the result of a merger of two private school FP teams) to form Glasgow Hawks, who currently operate in the top division of Scottish club rugby. So both Glasgow Accies and Glasgow High/Kelvinside, both operating in West 1, are effectively second XVs.

Marr's task was simple - win and pick up a bonus point by scoring four tries.

In front of a boisterous crowd (by Troon's middle class standards) Marr went ahead with a converted try after 10 minutes. However, Accies were not for rolling over and fought back well. After 30 minutes Marr were temporarily reduced to 14 men after a yellow card was shown, but this coincided with the 10 minutes which virtually decided the outcome of this match as Troon ran in two converted tries before half time.

Restored to a full complement of players Marr scored the vital try after only 5 minutes of the second half. But that was to be the end of the scoring - not through any lack of trying by the two teams.

The final whistle was greeted by great celebrations and much champagne was consumed by the Marr squad in the middle of the pitch as their place in National Division One was confirmed for next season. No one seemed to think it would be possible for GHK to score sufficient points to surpass Marr's points difference and that's how it turned out as GHK 'only' managed to defeat Annan 57-8

So the top of the table finished

Marr 18-16-0-2 76 +371
GHK 18-17-1-0 76 +296

and Marr step up to National 1 and a very big step up in class.

(This post was edited by PaulC on Mar 10, 2012, 6:23 PM)

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 10, 2012, 7:21 PM

Post #120 of 1758 (74654 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 10th March 2012
Wigton 41 Anselmians 25 (HT 22-12)
North One West
Admission £3 (including 40pp programme - 32pp glossy shell, 8pp game specific)
Attendance 150 (h/c)

Refreshments available - didn't partake

At the end of November, Wigton, with just one win all season, looked relegation certainties. This victory over fellow strugglers Anselmians was the revitalised Greens' sixth on the trot at Lowmoor Road and lifted them two places in the standings and out of the drop zone. Not that it was straightforward. With five minutes of normal time left, Wigton were hanging on to a slender 27-25 advantage, but two late converted tries eased jangling nerves after the visitors from the Wirral, ahead early on, had fought back from 22-12 and 27-15 down. Given there was so much at stake, this was a surprisingly open game. Wigton impressed me. With veteran former Carlisle, Barrow and Workington Town rugby league player Tane Manihera at scrum-half, they showed they could score pushover tries (one of rugby union's many blights) and also from well inside their own half (far more exciting). Two touchdowns, one in each half, were something special, featuring good hands and excellent support play. The try count ended six to Wigton and three to Anselmians.

Lowmoor Road is a rambling site on the edge of a typically sleepy Cumbrian town. From the six rows of wooden benches in the main (and only) stand, there is a superb view of the action - and the distant Kirkcudbrightshire hills. The stand, a utilitarian brick structure, has a gym and squash courts joined seamlessly to the rear. A smart clubhouse, featuring some great black & white photographs of Wigton county cup successes from the 1970s, is alongside. All but the town end of the ground is railed off with hardstanding. A cricket square is located beyond the town end and there are two more rugby pitches next to that. Adjacent to the far side of the first XV pitch is a floodlit artificial football pitch in a cage. Rolling fields stretch away to the horizon.

Nice set-up - and vociferous fans, who celebrated this crucial victory with gusto. Cumbrians really love their rugby; both league and union.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6970344835/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6824222134/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6970343125/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6970342473/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6824218086/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6824216826/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/6970335739/in/photostream

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Mar 10, 2012, 9:08 PM)

The Moose
First Team Star

Mar 11, 2012, 5:15 PM

Team(s):

Post #121 of 1758 (74607 views)
Shortcut

Fri 9th March: Welsh Eggs Prem - CROSS KEYS 42 SWANSEA 7

ADM: £10 PROG: £2 ATT: h/c 300

So this seasons attempt to do all things Welsh continued with the delightful Pandy Park up in the Valleys. This is another absolute gem of a traditional style ground which reminded me of Matlock Town in a way with it being three sided and surrounded by those hills. Wonderfully picturesque setting with presumably the Ebbw flowing directly behind the main stand side. Terrific crumbling terrace built into the hill on the far side amongst the trees that's covered so what's not to like!

Keys won the game at a canter with Swans only moment coming right at the end of a totally one sided fixture. The home team are making a late bid for the top four and are bang on form so should give the Pirates a good game in the forthcoming semi-final. The train station is a mere five minutes walk and the only item of note on the journey home was the amount of scantily clad ladies on their way into Cardiff for a night out. Have to say I was a tad distracted from reading my programme!

KRTM Cool

The Moose
First Team Star

Mar 11, 2012, 5:31 PM

Team(s):

Post #122 of 1758 (74604 views)
Shortcut

Sat 10th March: English Championship Play-Off - LONDON WELSH 32 NOTTINGHAM 21

ADM: £15 PROG: £2.50 ATT: 654

So after last nights delightful trip to the Valleys it was back to Earth with a bump and the reality check that is Old Deer Park. Wide open spaces all around in this self styled community club grounds with only one side of cover being the main stand. Those in attendance were in the main well dressed for the occasion so thought nothing of paying £5.50 for a hog roast of nearly £4 for a plastic pint.

Obviously it's due to me getting older but I much prefer the traditional rustic charms of a Welsh club ground rather than today's offering which I found somewhat bland by comparison. Only thing of interest to look at is the pagoda over the road at Kew Gardens and the many jumbo's taking off from neighbouring Heathrow.

Maybe it was the lunchtime start but the atmosphere was non existent really in such open surroundings. For long periods of the game Notts gave as good as they got with the exiles only pulling away at the end. One grumble would be why you have to pay 50% extra for watching the same standard as the Welsh Premiership. Clearly the cost of living is different here having bought a pint for £2 in Llandovery last week! Such is life and a 'quick' dash ensued for the afternoon's footy fix.

KRTM Cool

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 11, 2012, 5:43 PM

Post #123 of 1758 (74601 views)
Shortcut

Swans?! Last time I was at St Helen's, Swansea's rugby union team was known as the Whites.

The Moose
First Team Star

Mar 11, 2012, 7:45 PM

Team(s):

Post #124 of 1758 (74590 views)
Shortcut

Whites, Swans, Jacks....... Must be due to watching footy and eggchasing on the same weekend. Most confuzzling at my age! Fair point well presented though as having been to St. Helens earlier this season versus the noisy neighbours from Neath I should've remembered Swansea are indeed known as the Whites. I sit corrected Blush

KRTM Cool

StephenHarris
First Team Sub

Mar 14, 2012, 9:48 AM

Post #125 of 1758 (74432 views)
Shortcut

A couple of forthcoming Sunday fixtures in the London area may be of interest:

Sunday 25 March, 2pm: Westcombe Park v Aylesford Bulls - Kent Cup Semi Final

Sunday 15 April, 3:15pm: London Welsh v Bristol - Championship

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 71 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3